shape
carat
color
clarity

My Octavia is here! Yay!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE the setting you choose! So lucky to have a Karl K original!!!!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cygnet, I think you've chosen the perfect setting for your Octavia! I love those double bezel DBL settings - I even thought of one for another stone I have!

I hope there are no issues with DBL setting another stone - because that would REALLY punch up the dimensions and completely compliment the beauty of that diamond!! Yippee!!! I can't wait to see this come to fruition!! :appl:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
cygnet said:
Rosebloom said:
Oh I remember the baguette halo now! I adore that double bezel too - both stunning settings. It's going to look amazing!

If I recall you had gotten a reasonable quote from ERD to do the bezel halo, correct? Was it reasonable like under $5k or $5-10k? Of course ignore this question if you aren't comfortable answering it. I have an emerald which would be gorgeous in that setting! Hmmm....

It was very reasonable! They quoted me only $3500-- I was actually SHOCKED at the price. The other two quotes I got were between $4500 and $6000. SO decided that he'd rather use the local jeweler than ERD, which is why we didn't go with the cheaper one, but thankfully he doesn't mind sending it back to DBL for the double bezel. I think he was actually a little bit wary of ERD being so much cheaper than the other quotes. I've seen evidence of their beautiful work, so I'm confident they would have done a great job, but I am a little mystified at how much cheaper their quote was. Please set your emerald in it! That photo has been floating around on PS for like, 6 years now! Someone on this board needs to own that ring!! :D
That is shocking!!! Truly!

Hmmmm... My mind is spinning!

I definitely want to set a FY diamond or yellow sapphire in that gorgeous double bezel someday. We have similar taste!

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
justginger|1357423207|3348240 said:
So, just for my own reference, DBL will set the Octavia you purchased from GOG? I contacted David re: setting my FIY from Leibish last year and he said they did not work with outside stones... :confused:

Oh dear, I hope I haven't gotten myself into hot water here. I'm so sorry they couldn't set your stone, justginger. :(( Yes, I've spoken with David and he is open to working with my stone. I think the only reason he said yes is because it's an opportunity to work with an Octavia. I couldn't have bought an Octavia from DBL regardless, so if he wants to work with one, his only option is pretty much to accept one that has come from GOG. I think it's just a special circumstance. If David wants to say more about it then he is welcome to do so.

I honestly had been expecting to hear a "no" when I first contacted him, and was fully prepared to come to PS to make start a thread called "what do you do when a vendor breaks your heart?" (yes, I am whiny and I would have cried) but I was pleasantly surprised by his answer. He was very friendly, enthusiastic and professional and I'm really appreciative that he's open to working with my Octavia.

Enerchi said:
Cygnet, I think you've chosen the perfect setting for your Octavia! I love those double bezel DBL settings - I even thought of one for another stone I have!

I hope there are no issues with DBL setting another stone - because that would REALLY punch up the dimensions and completely compliment the beauty of that diamond!! Yippee!!! I can't wait to see this come to fruition!! :appl:

Thank you Enerchi! I really agree. I completely fell in love with this setting because I think it's the perfect match for an Octavia-- it'll show off her gorgeous cut corners in a simple, yet elegant setting and I love how it looks like the gold just pools around the stone. I was looking for something that would add to the dimensions of the stone, which is why I had previously been looking at halos, but I'm a very simple kind of girl and I think that setting the Octavia without any extra stones is the best match for my personal style and the right way to let the stone shine.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yippee! I'm glad David will do that for you!! I've seen their pieces "up close and personal" when I visited NYC in October and the workmanship and finish is outstanding!! I'm sure you will be VERY pleased with how gorgeous the finish will be, once set - YUMMY!! I'm envious of this stunning ring-to-be!! :devil:

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Rosebloom|1357431311|3348366 said:
That is shocking!!! Truly!

Hmmmm... My mind is spinning!

I definitely want to set a FY diamond or yellow sapphire in that gorgeous double bezel someday. We have similar taste!

Oh my god.... drooooool. :love:
That'd be so gorgeous!

I definitely think I'll revisit the design in the future (hmmm.... anniversary present?) I'd like to put something colored in it as well. I think it's gorgeous and I love it, but it probably wouldn't be an everyday piece of jewelry for me.

Oh my god, I'm planning anniversary presents before I'm even married?! Transformation into full blown PSer complete! :lol:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
cygnet|1357432051|3348380 said:
justginger|1357423207|3348240 said:
So, just for my own reference, DBL will set the Octavia you purchased from GOG? I contacted David re: setting my FIY from Leibish last year and he said they did not work with outside stones... :confused:

Oh dear, I hope I haven't gotten myself into hot water here. I'm so sorry they couldn't set your stone, justginger. :(( Yes, I've spoken with David and he is open to working with my stone. I think the only reason he said yes is because it's an opportunity to work with an Octavia. I couldn't have bought an Octavia from DBL regardless, so if he wants to work with one, his only option is pretty much to accept one that has come from GOG. I think it's just a special circumstance. If David wants to say more about it then he is welcome to do so.

I honestly had been expecting to hear a "no" when I first contacted him, and was fully prepared to come to PS to make start a thread called "what do you do when a vendor breaks your heart?" (yes, I am whiny and I would have cried) but I was pleasantly surprised by his answer. He was very friendly, enthusiastic and professional and I'm really appreciative that he's open to working with my Octavia.

Enerchi said:

Thank you Enerchi! I really agree. I completely fell in love with this setting because I think it's the perfect match for an Octavia-- it'll show off her gorgeous cut corners in a simple, yet elegant setting and I love how it looks like the gold just pools around the stone. I was looking for something that would add to the dimensions of the stone, which is why I had previously been looking at halos, but I'm a very simple kind of girl and I think that setting the Octavia without any extra stones is the best match for my personal style and the right way to let the stone shine.

That's great news for you, cygnet. I can understand the difference between working with a rare branded stone, and working with a bog standard FIY stone from a rival company. It is disappointing, because I'm really digging his bench's workmanship and would have loved to see what they could produce for me. I am very happy for you though - it's so rewarding to get exactly what you want!

I may email him directly to clarify his policy. Just in case. :wink2:

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Enerchi|1357432276|3348383 said:
Yippee! I'm glad David will do that for you!! I've seen their pieces "up close and personal" when I visited NYC in October and the workmanship and finish is outstanding!! I'm sure you will be VERY pleased with how gorgeous the finish will be, once set - YUMMY!! I'm envious of this stunning ring-to-be!! :devil:

Yay! Yes, I'm certain the workmanship will be lovely. We've decided to have his uber bench take care of it. Do you like the idea of setting it in unplated white gold? If we had gone with the other setting, we would have done platinum, but for this one, wg just seems like it'd be more aesthetically appealing. I think the color would be a better match for the stone than platinum.

I already know what I'd like to pair it with-- a 2mm channel-set east-west baguette band also in unplated wg. :love:

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
justginger|1357432725|3348394 said:
That's great news for you, cygnet. I can understand the difference between working with a rare branded stone, and working with a bog standard FIY stone from a rival company. It is disappointing, because I'm really digging his bench's workmanship and would have loved to see what they could produce for me. I am very happy for you though - it's so rewarding to get exactly what you want!

Thanks, justginger. :) I hope you are able to get what you want! I can see why you'd want DBL to do it. What kind of setting were you planning?

Am I allowed to threadjack my own thread? :lickout:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
cygnet|1357433035|3348402 said:
justginger|1357432725|3348394 said:

Thanks, justginger. :) I hope you are able to get what you want! I can see why you'd want DBL to do it. What kind of setting were you planning?

Am I allowed to threadjack my own thread? :lickout:

Sadly, I haven't started planning whatsoever, and I've had the stone for almost a year! I'm TERRIBLE with making big decisions like this, and can't seem to find anything remotely unique for a yellow stone. I need it cupped as it is shallow and has a tilt window. But there seem to be two design options for yellow diamonds - in a white halo, or mounted with flanking white stones. I've been able to dredge up no ounce of creativity or 'differentness' in my searches. I did find a design with swags, sorta Daniel K rosebud style, but am wondering if it will work with a cushion instead of a RBC?

ChrisES

Shiny_Rock
That is SUCH a nice stone. Congratulations!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cygnet, wow, the diamond is GORGEOUS! :love: How lucky you are to own such a special stone! Can't wait to see it in the DBL setting.

D

Deactivated member 42515

Cygnet! You coming to the annual GTG in Vegas? I gotta see that Octavia!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it. I am so jelly. I really think that if I ever had the budget this is one specialty cut I would love to own!

I also think an unplated WG bezel is about as perfect as you can get.

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks, guys! :D
I'm going to be an anxious mess while I wait for it to be set. Impatient and all. Now that I've seen how pretty it is, I am more eager than ever to have it on my finger.

@justginger,
Oh, I really hope you can find something you like! I am usually full of ideas for settings, but I don't really have much familiarity with yellow diamonds or what would make one look good.

YT said:

When is it?? I doubt I'll be going (uhm, I don't even have any diamonds to show off yet! At least, not one I can wear). We should do a Seattle GTG after I get engaged! We are practically neighbors, it would be silly for you to wait to see me in Vegas to see my diamond :razz:

Dreamer_D said:
I love it. I am so jelly. I really think that if I ever had the budget this is one specialty cut I would love to own!

:D This diamond actually wasn't too pricey. The combination of J and SI1 made it a really great deal. I feel like the stars aligned for us to buy this diamond. Proportions I like, size I like, affordable color/clarity... I don't think I would have chosen any of the other Octavias in stock right now, so we got lucky. We spent way less than we had been expecting to, actually. So hang in there!

I'm glad you like my unplated wg bezel plan. I personally think it'll be perfect, but it's good to hear that others agree. :)

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
Woohoo it's so lovely! Looks so brilliant.

D

Deactivated member 42515

cygnet said:
Thanks, guys! :D
I'm going to be an anxious mess while I wait for it to be set. Impatient and all. Now that I've seen how pretty it is, I am more eager than ever to have it on my finger.

@justginger,
Oh, I really hope you can find something you like! I am usually full of ideas for settings, but I don't really have much familiarity with yellow diamonds or what would make one look good.

YT said:

When is it?? I doubt I'll be going (uhm, I don't even have any diamonds to show off yet! At least, not one I can wear). We should do a Seattle GTG after I get engaged! We are practically neighbors, it would be silly for you to wait to see me in Vegas to see my diamond :razz:

Dreamer_D said:

:D This diamond actually wasn't too pricey. The combination of J and SI1 made it a really great deal. I feel like the stars aligned for us to buy this diamond. Proportions I like, size I like, affordable color/clarity... I don't think I would have chosen any of the other Octavias in stock right now, so we got lucky. We spent way less than we had been expecting to, actually. So hang in there!

I'm glad you like my unplated wg bezel plan. I personally think it'll be perfect, but it's good to hear that others agree. :)
Sounds good Cygnet! Can't wait for you to get engaged!! Can't wait to meet you!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1357402649|3347992 said:
It's gorgeous. :appl: :appl:
I'm so happy for you.
Since we own one I can say that Octavia really is an extraordinary cut and I can't help yelling it from the rooftops. :sun:
KarlK is a genius.

We have a few diamond shapes that are very well-cut and all of them sparkle most in that narrow sweet spot (when you look straight down into them) but none of them sparkly as much as the Octavia when you look at it off-axis.

I have to agree!

I had the pleasure of setting one of his Octavia cuts and it was astonishing how much life he brings to this step cut design. Not only sparkle but dispersion too.

Enjoy your treasure!

Wink

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
It's beautiful cygnet! I think double bezel settings are perfect for showing off the shape of an asscher. I have a peridot asscher and that is exactly how I set mine and it is one of my favorite rings. Can't wait to see the final piece!!!

BeachieBummie

Rough_Rock
Oh my word, that diamond is fabulous! :love: Congrats!

I must put one of these on my wish list, as I love asschers.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
So excited for you Cygnet! Can't wait to see the finished ring. As another step-cut set in a bezel owner, I adore your setting choice. In my opinion sometimes less is more, and bezels really highlight the beauty of the stone. The diamond looks very substantial on your finger. Beautiful choices :love: :love: :love:

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi guys!

I took a few glamour shots of Miss Octavia yesterday before we sent her back to NY to be set by DBL. Soon, I'll have a ring (I hope--- unless SO decides to torture me and keep it for a while).

Anyway, I took a few photos of her in my salt box. I wish I had thought of some more artsy things to do with her, but I had too many other chores to take care of. :(

imag1496-003.jpg

imag1493.jpg

imag1492.jpg

imag1490-002.jpg

Fire!

D

Deactivated member 42515

Yummmmmmmm!!! I love me some salty Octavia!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
That last bling shot is blinding!!!! :love: Hope it is made quickly (but well of course) and finds its way to your finger soon!!!!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Damn that is a GORGEOUS stone.

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks guys!! I can't show my friends, so here I am spamming PS. Well, you guys are my friends too <3

Here's a close up of one because I feel like the detail got lost:

imag1493_0.jpg

Today I went back and reread Kenny's Octavia threads because I love his photography so much... it inspired me to do some more photos, but at that point, my stone was already with UPS. :'( So I guess this will be it for loose photos from me!

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi guys!

Here I am again, posting Octavia photos. David was kind enough to take some photos for me, and he encouraged me to share them. I'm really excited to show you guys my DBL-style glamour shots!

The ring is in production! Woo! It should be done in a few weeks. They are doing it in unplated white gold like I'd been wanting, and I'm really excited about having the perfect metal, perfect setting, and perfect diamond. I'm feeling very fortunate right now.

r5101-octavia-diamond-b.jpg
r5101-octavia-diamond-a.jpg r5101-octavia-diamond.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is gonna be SPECTACULAR :love: :sun: :sun: :appl:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh cygnet!! that is one GORGEOUS stone!!! It will be incredible once set. A few weeks?? oh no--- that is going to go soooo slowly... YIKES!!! I can't wait...oops... I mean ... YOU CAN'T WAIT!! (tee hee!!)

unplated WG will be the perfect metal to set your stone in - great choice!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results