shape
carat
color
clarity

My obnoxious Harry Winston experience

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Girl, for that kind of cash you could get a much bigger rock, Victor Canera setting and no snotty attitudes!

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
pregcurious|1335543809|3182253 said:
My sister had a similar bad experience. She had good experiences with Tiffany and Cartier, and ended up with a Cartier ering. She also has other Cartier items.

Better to take your business elsewhere. Some stores don't realize that engagement rings are often bought at early in life when funds are low (either because of being early on in careers, or due to competing costs of buying a home and paying for wedding). A store can benefit from establishing a good relationship, which can lead to a lifetime of purchases. My husband has gone back to Tiffany for gifts because he knows he can't go wrong, and he doesn't have the desire or time to shop around.

So true, and something that a lot of sales assistant seem to forget.

Chloe,
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I hope you are able to find a jeweller that treats you with respect whatever your budget.

Regards
Mac

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
When we were on holidays in Hawaii a few years ago, I went into the Harry Winston Store at Ala Moana. I had no intention of purchasing anything at that time, but just had to have a look to say I had been there.

The sales girl was very helpful and obliging. Nothing was too much trouble and I didn't once get that horrible "you are wasting my time" look.

She gave me a catalogue, overall it was a lovely memorable experience. So, maybe William needs to take a leaf out of her book! :bigsmile: =)

angietime

Rough_Rock
Did anybody ever call Harry Winston to complain about the customer service? It would really help if the MAIN corporate office knew what their MAIN store was like. Maybe that's why most of their customers go next door or across the street to Bergdorf or Tiffany

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, if someone was that rude to me I'd be on the phone to their corporate offices in a flash. People like that don't need to be working in stores with the public. He could never decide or know with complete certainty which customer would either spend, have the money, or whatever. You treat every customer like a paying customer.

MadisonGirl

Rough_Rock
Sorry to hear about your terrible experience. Honestly, my SA wasn't particularly pleasant either... he def was not as rude as the person you described but probably would've liked someone a little friendlier given that we were about to drop about ~$100k. That said he did take the time to show me multiple rings and look up inventory across the country... but almost made it seem like $100k was not very much money and not worth too much effort on his part. In my trips to HW, there were other people there who were much, much nicer! I wish I could remember the name of the lady who helped me the time they had my diamond shipped over from other salon... I think shes the floor manager or something like that. If you are still considering HW I would totally recommend asking for a different SA.

chloecro

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone.

Yes, I immediately wrote to the HW Corporate Office about my experience with William and the NY store. About 2 months later, I got a call from a nice woman there who was very apologetic about William's attitude.

It was a 10 second conversation, but at least she called I guess. She told me they emphasize great customer care and that they had spoken to William in person.

I still won't be going back, ever.

Shmoopie

Rough_Rock
My DH and I have done business just recently with William at HW. He had no foreknowledge of who we were or what we were looking for. We were genuinely looked after and given all of the hospitality that HW is known for. Our rapport was established prior to being 'indentified as a buyer'. William provided absolutely impeccable customer service and is a major reason that we bought here. Kudos.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
While I agree that the salesperson could use some sales technique . . . if 90K is out of your budget, weren't you, in fact, wasting his time? Even if no one else was around. . . if you could not afford what you had asked him to show you, was it not pointless - - for him?

Mind you, I'm not telling you his attitude didn't need a some adjustment. But perhaps he has some sort of finely tuned antenna, from years of experience, that 'knows' when people are just looking?

And, that isn't to say that we cannot look at that which we would not buy. Looking, comparing, seeing what the creme de la creme has to offer is a perfectly legitimate activity. I'm positive those high end jewelers see a lot of looky-loos, and even some well-educated maybes. But is there any reason why everyone who walks in should expect to be fawned over, instead of just being treated with courtesy? It seems he was snooty, but was he actually completely uncordial?

I have to think, if you're working for Cartier, you probably know who can buy and who cannot. We can dress and act the part, but 'acting' can be spotted pretty quickly by a savvy salesclerk who has seen it all.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Shmoopie|1342911060|3237861 said:
My DH and I have done business just recently with William at HW. He had no foreknowledge of who we were or what we were looking for. We were genuinely looked after and given all of the hospitality that HW is known for. Our rapport was established prior to being 'indentified as a buyer'. William provided absolutely impeccable customer service and is a major reason that we bought here. Kudos.

I'm sorry but in my book, this makes him an even bigger jerk. What makes him think he can treat some people like dirt and others like kings and queens???

Chloecro - I am so sorry you every had to go through this experience. I have worked in customer service my entire career and would have been fired if I treated anyone like this and I havent even worked in jewelry. Unbelievable that spending this kind of money still gets you treated like garbage. If I'm glad for anything, it's that you didn't waste your money there! Personally, who the crap cares that it's "Harry Winston" blah. I hope you find what your looking for and with the service you deserve!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results