shape
carat
color
clarity

My obnoxious Harry Winston experience

chloecro

Rough_Rock
Well, I hate to be a bad-mouther, but I have to report on my HW experience last Sat.
My bf and I are both bona fide NYers and have plenty of experience with the so-called agression/rudeness of NYers, but this was something else.

Our (ahem) sales "executive" at the main store approached us without a smile and acted annoyed that he had to waste his time with us.
I had made an appt. a week before and showed up exactly on-time with my bf. There was no one else in the store, but right away "William L" (I'm going to be nice) sat us down at the table with 3 rings fitting our requirements and looked at us like, "Soo, are you almost done wasting my time?"

Now, I'm of the belief that you have to treat every customer like royalty, because you never know who you're dealing with in NY. I've seen people dressed in sweatpants and raggy t-shirts who I later find out are Rockefellers or Kennedys. I'm only told later who they are.
So, my bf and I both looked like nice, respectable people (not that that should matter).

I felt rushed and demeaned by William's treatment, and when I started asking intelligent questions about the stones (thank you PS), he got slightly nicer. When I asked if they had other stones if I wanted to see them, he replied, "WE are the main store, and this is what we have." Again, the look-- are you almost finished? Then I asked the color/specs of the stone, and he replied " We ONLY carry D-E-and F color, and the lowest we go is VS2."

One of the rings was 90K, and he's treating us like a bunch of jerks? I tried on a couple of them more than once, and as he had to be bothered to move the tray for me to try them on, he acted even more put out.
At one point he said, "(Ahem) I see you've done some homework. Yes, we have the most delicate pave setting available, blah blah blah"

After about 10 min, I felt we were being all but pushed out of the store. I was so disgusted. He shook my hand, gave me a smug smile and his card, and that was it." Meanwhile, there's still nobody in the store, and all of the salespeople were sitting at their stations looking bored.

When my bf and I left, we not only discussed that the 90K+ range was out of budget, but even if it was within budget, we would never, ever go there again, much less give "William L." our business.

chloecro

Rough_Rock
I realized I should have posted this in "Rocky Talky". Does anyone know how to bump it?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
chloe-if you click report concern (at the top right) you can ask the mods to move it :)

I'm sorry you had such a poor experience at HW!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry to hear about your experience. And it probably explains why the store was empty.

As far as moving your post, hit the "report concern" button and tell the moderator you posted in the wrong category. He/she will move it for you.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what a shame he was so rude--it's their loss!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry you had such a bad experience at such an exciting time! Are you going to try other higher end retail shops? Cartier, Van Cleef... dare I say.. Tiffany? I often wonder if they are taught to be rude - like, do they assume this makes their product that much BETTER if they are rude to clientele? Can't understand that logic!

After that experience, would you consider online purchasing after investigating the styles you like via a B&M?

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
With the way the economy is going, you'd think they would be glad to see any customer walk into the store and ask about their pretty diamonds! I'm so sorry that you were treated rudely.

There's a chain of jewelry stores in Texas (and probably other states) that I had been hesitant to walk into. I thought they would be super snobby and rude because of the way that I dress (which is just very casual because it's so darn hot here). I was totally wrong! I walked in, and they treated my like their prize customer. Of course, I didn't spend close to $90K, but they treated me like I did.

I wish you the best in finding your diamond jewelry. Places like that do not deserve your business and hard earned money.

fridays_child

Shiny_Rock
That is terrible! I am sorry you had such a poor experience. I hope the rest of your ring shopping experience is much more positive. Congratulations on your engagement!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's SO awful that I almost have to believe something unrelated happened to this guy - like his wife left him that morning or something!
Such a bummer and NO excuse. I'm sure I would have asked him if I was bugging him - I can never just let a sleeping dog lie!!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, the way he treated you and your FI is just awful. So sorry you had to experience that!

I might have asked to see another sales associate and if asked why I would have said because for some reason you are behaving rudely towards us and we are not going to tolerate that kind of behavior (for no reason).

Or, I just might have decided to speak to someone with more authority and explained how I felt and see if they could make the situation right. I am sorry but I don't care which business it is, no one should be treated that way. Unbelievable that the salesperson at Harry Winston was so discourteous and ungracious. :nono: If I was the manager of that store I know I certainly would want to know. No one is in the business not to make money and there is no faster way to do that than turn off potential customers!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm really sorry you felt slighted, but I'm not entirely sure what takes this from "meh" to obnoxious - if I'm reading right, he didn't actually SAY anything, you just felt he wasn't obsequious/chummy enough? I can't say it sounds like sterling customer service, but don't let it ruin the e-ring search for you: there are plenty of friendly vendors out there who'll happily great you with champagne.

maria121

Shiny_Rock
I'm sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience. My e-ring from HW and my fiancé and I had a superb experience. Even to this day, I feel very comfortable to ask my SA questions regarding my e-ring. I think these problems happen with all brands and it just depends on who you get. I wish you could have had the same experience as us. They have such beautiful rings and not to mention their craftsmanship. It's just sad that the experience was the only thing lacking.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Y'OUCH! What a jerk.

I'd definitely visit or write to the manager or even a higher up.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had a bad experience at the HW Las Vegas store in the in the Forum Shops. Very similar in terms of "I'm too busy to deal with customers" and very rude. So I'm not surprised in the least. Sorry it happened to you though. I would write them a letter to their head quarters and let them know they lost a 90k sale. LOL.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
I would print up this thread and send it to their corporate office, and include his card. I would have handed him back his card and told him "no thank you, I believe after you have treated us so rudely we will be buying our 3 carat diamond elsewhere". I certainly won't be buying my 6 carat stone from them either.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whenever I have a bad experience at a jewelry store (or a good one, but you know how the bad ones motivate you more), I write about it also on Yelp and Google Reviews. There are very, VERY few reviews of jewelry stores out there, so I encourage you (and everyone!) to review them.

I'm sorry your experience was so bad. I've encountered bad attitudes at a variety of jewelry stores, and it's the number one thing that makes me walk out. We mainly selected where to buy my e-ring based on attitude of the salespeople (I wanted to buy online but Fiance wanted the Experience of picking it out in person together), and I ended up with something I'm totally happy with. I'm not sure I would have at a place where the salespeople didn't listen to me.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
I am sorry to hear that. Its really unfortunate some think this is acceptable. I can't remember the exact saying, but something like "it takes many good experiences to gain a customer, but one bad one to lose many." Either way, your search should be much more enjoyable than this. I don't know how important it is to you to have a HW ring...there are several vendors on here that would give you a piece of art to wear on your finger without the snotty/I have a hard time making people feel more special than myself attitude. :wink2:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
You said you decided that the 90k ring was out of your price range. Did you know that going in there? I just wonder if you came across as not being able to pay for the rings he showed you and he maybe wondered if you were wasting his time? Not that this excuses the way he treated you in any way.

chloecro

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your responses.

Today I wrote to the HW Corporate Office. I don't expect much care or response, but we'll see.

Maisie, honestly yes, I had an idea of the price ranges going in there. My point was that if a person's looking at that range of ring, you don't want to be treated that way. I wouldn't choose to drop that kind of $$ on someone giving me attitude.
True, I don't want to spend quite that much, but I guess I figure that if I really fell in love with something I'd contribute a lot more towards my ring, or whatever.

tina sparkle

Shiny_Rock
When I encounter that attitude at a luxury store, I like to remind myself that the salespeople are working there, I am SHOPPING there.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
tina sparkle|1335470962|3181672 said:
When I encounter that attitude at a luxury store, I like to remind myself that the salespeople are working there, I am SHOPPING there.

oh SNAP!!! Excellent point, tinasparkle.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
distracts|1335413862|3181176 said:
Whenever I have a bad experience at a jewelry store (or a good one, but you know how the bad ones motivate you more), I write about it also on Yelp and Google Reviews. There are very, VERY few reviews of jewelry stores out there, so I encourage you (and everyone!) to review them.

I'm sorry your experience was so bad. I've encountered bad attitudes at a variety of jewelry stores, and it's the number one thing that makes me walk out. We mainly selected where to buy my e-ring based on attitude of the salespeople (I wanted to buy online but Fiance wanted the Experience of picking it out in person together), and I ended up with something I'm totally happy with. I'm not sure I would have at a place where the salespeople didn't listen to me.

Yep, leaving reviews on Yelp is a great way to get the word out. I recently left a review for a place (not jewelry) and was contacted by someone from the company, so at least that particular company is reading the reviews people leave for them. Though...I'm not sure what the point was as I replied back and then never heard from them again. So they sort of cared? Or maybe not? :wacko:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The great thing is, you can get the same thing you saw for $90k at HW for $60-70k if you can do without the brandname. I'd put Victor Canera up there with the best of HW anyday for a setting. And we can find diamonds equal and better than theirs, too.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Urg.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
chloecro|1335470447|3181661 said:
Thanks everyone for your responses.

Today I wrote to the HW Corporate Office. I don't expect much care or response, but we'll see.

Maisie, honestly yes, I had an idea of the price ranges going in there. My point was that if a person's looking at that range of ring, you don't want to be treated that way. I wouldn't choose to drop that kind of $$ on someone giving me attitude.
True, I don't want to spend quite that much, but I guess I figure that if I really fell in love with something I'd contribute a lot more towards my ring, or whatever.

I have to admit I would be nervous to go into such a high end store. Even if I had every intention of buying I would be put off by snooty staff.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
My sister had a similar bad experience. She had good experiences with Tiffany and Cartier, and ended up with a Cartier ering. She also has other Cartier items.

Better to take your business elsewhere. Some stores don't realize that engagement rings are often bought at early in life when funds are low (either because of being early on in careers, or due to competing costs of buying a home and paying for wedding). A store can benefit from establishing a good relationship, which can lead to a lifetime of purchases. My husband has gone back to Tiffany for gifts because he knows he can't go wrong, and he doesn't have the desire or time to shop around.

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
tina sparkle|1335470962|3181672 said:

Exactly. I would have talked to someone higher up and complained. Their loss, sorry this happened! :sick:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1335543809|3182253 said:
Better to take your business elsewhere. Some stores don't realize that engagement rings are often bought at early in life when funds are low (either because of being early on in careers, or due to competing costs of buying a home and paying for wedding). A store can benefit from establishing a good relationship, which can lead to a lifetime of purchases. My husband has gone back to Tiffany for gifts because he knows he can't go wrong, and he doesn't have the desire or time to shop around.

This so much. As well, word of mouth advertising DOES make a difference. Where I got my engagement ring and my regular jeweler are both places that I found out about due to friends telling me of good experiences they'd had there. In addition on the "good relationship" front... My parents' 30th anniversary is coming up and she is getting a custom-made diamond ring. Guess what? Since I'm "the one that knows about jewelry," I get to choose who makes it. You know who doesn't make the list? Any place where they were rude to us. Yeah, I may be 25 and not be in to buy anything myself, but I may be scouting jewelers for my parents who are in their 60s and have gobs of money. Plenty of my family members and friends ask for my recommendations before they make a big jewelry purchase, and I give good recommendations as well as "places to avoid."

lucy0903

Rough_Rock
Yesterday I called Harry Winston for some quotes on their micro pave cushion cut engagement ring, and they transferred me to the NYC store. The person I spoke to was William! He was extremely rude over the phone. My husband and I are looking to upgrade my engagement ring, and our budget is very decent I can say. I told him what I was looking for and also my budget, he was like for that budget, you are not getting what you want from our store. I was SHOCKED and SPEECHLESS! FYI my husband has given me 100k to get my ring upgraded, and I want something around 2.5 ct. My husband was very angry after I told him what happened, and that William salesperson really made us just wanna walk away from Harry Winston brand. We have dealt with Tiffany, Cartier and some other luxury brands' sales reps in the past, every single one of them was extremely friendly and helpful. Good service is part of what people pay for when they go for luxury brands. This is shocking knowing that I am not the only one! And you are right, he sounded extremely inpatient, and I felt he was in a rush the whole time while I was talking to him on the phone. He said bye to me while I was still talking and asking a question! I had no choice but saying bye back and of course he hung up first. I hope my experience could help people who are thinking of visiting the NYC store in the future

Kissmark

Shiny_Rock
Oh my god this guy is unbelievable! Lucybi can't believe he said your 100k is not going to get what you are looking for. That's just rubbish!
I have heard that HW SA's themselves cannot afford HW and end up getting replica somewhere else.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results