shape
carat
color
clarity

My Not-So-Pleasant Experience With Whiteflash

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I am aware, as I am writing this, that many of you will disagree with me, but I just want to express my own experience with Whiteflash:

About two months ago, I was interested in one of their ACA stones. I bought it and decided to have a custom setting by WF. I sent many detailed pictures of how I wanted the setting to look like. CAD never quite came out right (I know it did not because when it was later done by another vendor and it was a perfection.) Btw, I wanted the plainest Tiffany style setting, nothing extra. I kept asking them to make corrections and they kept saying that it could not be done. So I lost $250 (a charge for CAD) when I decided to just get the loose stone from them and have the setting done by DK.

Loose ACA stones are supposed to come with a kit (H&A viewer, tweezers, and a cleaning solution.) I only received the stone. I am not a jeweler so I had no tweezers to grab the stone with and see it in different lightings. So I just put the diamond back in the box. I called Whiteflash to let them know that I did not receive the kit for my loose stone. Their reply was: “Ok, so what do you want me to do?” I expected more of: “I am sorry, let me send you one.” I did not get that. So I just told them I would like to return the stone. (I was rubbed the wrong way by Whiteflash from the beginning when I had enough and made this decision.)

When the refund was supposed to be issued, I compared the amount of the refund check with the amount I paid, and it was $10+ short. So I called again and inquired.

Me: “I would like to know why I was deducted $10 from my refund.
WF: “Um…. Oh, it was for the shipping charges.”
Me: “But I thought your policy was free shipping-free refund.”
WF: “Yes, but your shipping was an expedite one day shipping.”
Me: “But I did not ask for an expedite shipping.”
WF:
Me:
WF: “Let me look into it…”

Eventually, it was sorted out and I received two checks, the one for $10 was sent separately. I understand that $10 is a very negligible amount when compared to the amount I paid for the stone. However, this was not about the money, rather about the service and overall not-so-smooth process provided by Whiteflash.

I went with a different vendor and could not be happier. Again, this is just sharing my experience, not necessarily critiquing anyone. I just expected better, hearing all the good things about them, especially when paying for a premium service.

Last edited:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry your WF experience was less than good; while I do think WF's customer service is usually top notch, clearly they dropped the ball more than once during your transaction/encounter ...

In your situation, I would have done the same and started over with another vendor - I am glad you did find a vendor who gave you great service and a product that met/exceeded your expectations.

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry you were unhappy with your experience. I don't think any vendor has people that are perfect all the time, but it is really rare with WF to have a problem like that, and I am sure the leadership would be very disappointed to hear this. I am happy for you that you ended up with something you love!

One question just out of curiosity....why were you doing custom for a simple Tiffany style setting? It's almost always cheaper to buy a stock setting, and those are often returnable, as well.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
So sorry you were unhappy with your experience. I don't think any vendor has people that are perfect all the time, but it is really rare with WF to have a problem like that, and I am sure the leadership would be very disappointed to hear this. I am happy for you that you ended up with something you love!

One question just out of curiosity....why were you doing custom for a simple Tiffany style setting? It's almost always cheaper to buy a stock setting, and those are often returnable, as well.

You are correct, the custom is about $500 more. Their stock settings were not quite what I liked but close enough for me to think that it should be no problem for them to customize one of their setting (the one that was closest to the Tiffany style.) So I decided to pay the extra $500, thinking that when I spend $25,000+ on a stone, I might as well get the exact setting I want and with which I am content.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for posting your experience with WF.

Companies need to know when they have dropped the ball so that they can improve their customer service. To be able to offer their clients a superb, quality buying experience for such special purchases.

Glad you found a vendor that met (and exceeded) all your expectations.

Beautiful stone :appl:

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for posting your experience with WF.

Companies need to know when they have dropped the ball so that they can improve their customer service. To be able to offer their clients a superb, quality buying experience for such special purchases.

Glad you found a vendor that met (and exceeded) all your expectations.

Beautiful stone :appl:

Thank you! I can't wait to receive the final project (still in the production.) :dance:

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
What setting did you go with?

Do you mean from Whiteflash or the vendor with whom I ended up? From WF I picked the Elegant style - but it was a bit too bulky for me so I wanted to have it customized.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Do you mean from Whiteflash or the vendor with whom I ended up? From WF I picked the Elegant style - but it was a bit too bulky for me so I wanted to have it customized.

Sorry. The latter vendor.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think you have found out one of the shortcomings of all human to human communication. Dealing at a distance online or inside a B&M store where you have direct access with a salesperson or bench guru, things that were not intended can happen. Of course, most times things go reasonably as planned. Not every online or in-store experience is a good one. Whichever way a customer chooses to make a purchase or design an item, there are communication and precision issues which need to be overcome. It just doesn't always work out as we'd hope.

A lesson may be that one should not expect things to go absolutely right and be highly detailed in their explanations and conversations. Precise discussion and detailed instructions will help get the exact thing you want, but still, the human factor messes things up unintentionally from time to time.

We recognize the high quality experience most folks have had with Whiteflash and similar premium level online vendors, but the details of your problem reveal the little things that added up to problems which you felt you should share with others. It seems reasonable to do so and done without anger.

Hopefully, your final item will turn out perfectly and make you very pleased.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So just curious as to who or what prompted you to post this review two months later? I find that fascinating.

I have made several purchases with them and have never had this type of experience with them - not even close. In my 15 years on PS, there have been hundreds of great reviews and a few bumps in the road which they rectified. Your experience sounds like quite the exception. - certainly not the rule.

Given your level of discontent, it is best that you decided to return the diamond and start with another vendor - for your sake as well as the vendor. Some things cannot be redeemed.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I think you have found out one of the shortcomings of all human to human communication. Dealing at a distance online or inside a B&M store where you have direct access with a salesperson or bench guru, things that were not intended can happen. Of course, most times things go reasonably as planned. Not every online or in-store experience is a good one. Whichever way a customer chooses to make a purchase or design an item, there are communication and precision issues which need to be overcome. It just doesn't always work out as we'd hope.

A lesson may be that one should not expect things to go absolutely right and be highly detailed in their explanations and conversations. Precise discussion and detailed instructions will help get the exact thing you want, but still, the human factor messes things up unintentionally from time to time.

We recognize the high quality experience most folks have had with Whiteflash and similar premium level online vendors, but the details of your problem reveal the little things that added up to problems which you felt you should share with others. It seems reasonable to do so and done without anger.

Hopefully, your final item will turn out perfectly and make you very pleased.

I agree that things do not always go as expected. This review is not so much about the CAD that did not work out. I am not hard to please. However, with WF, it was one thing after another, after another... topped with the responses I was given. It could have been handled better. Much better.

Last edited:

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
So just curious as to who or what prompted you to post this review two months later? I find that fascinating.

I have made several purchases with them and have never had this type of experience with them - not even close. In my 15 years on PS, there have been hundreds of great reviews and a few bumps in the road which they rectified. Your experience sounds like quite the exception. - certainly not the rule.

Given your level of discontent, it is best that you decided to return the diamond and start with another vendor - for your sake as well as the vendor. Some things cannot be redeemed.

As I mentioned, I understand that people might disagree with me, however, this was MY experience. So I wrote about it.

As for the "two month review." It was two months ago I found the stone (or closer to 1 1/2 months.) First week, I worked on CAD with them (which did not work out), so the following week, they sent the stone. Then, the stone sat in the box for a few days while I was trying to get tweezers to grab the stone with. Then I returned the stone. Following that, the refund took about two weeks. Then receiving checks another week. I wanted to make sure I would receive my checks before writing a review. The whole process took about a month or so.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Well, you would have received your refund regardless of writing a review. While you may have been dissatisfied, they are far from unscrupulous. That goes to a whole different level.

I have never suggested otherwise. I wanted to write about my experience once the matter is closed. And it is closed (for me) once the checks are received so that I could add that " it was sorted out and I received two checks" in my complete review.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And you got your checks and whatever else they could do once you cancelled. I suppose they would never wish to repeat this series of problems with other folks. I see it is disappointing and understandable, but you were made whole in the sense of finances after much aggravating asking.

I get it and surely everyone reading this will get it too. Still, it is an exceptional case and not a frequent occurrence. All we do know is from your perspective. One side of any problem is usually not the entire story, and it appears you have no ongoing issue to settle. That, in itself, is reasonably good.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never suggested otherwise. I wanted to write about my experience once the matter is closed. And it is closed (for me) once the checks are received so that I could add that "checks were received and things were sorted out" in my complete review.

You said you wanted to make sure you received your checks before writing a review so I took that to mean that you felt they might withhold your money if you wrote something negative about them. That simply would not happen.
Glad that the matter is now closed.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
And you got your checks and whatever else they could do once you cancelled. I suppose they would never wish to repeat this series of problems with other folks. I see it is disappointing and understandable, but you were made whole in the sense of finances after much aggravating asking.

I get it and surely everyone reading this will get it too. Still, it is an exceptional case and not a frequent occurrence. All we do know is from your perspective. One side of any problem is usually not the entire story, and it appears you have no ongoing issue to settle. That, in itself, is reasonably good.

Correct. Thus, I started writing this review with "I am aware, as I am writing this, that many of you will disagree with me, but I just want to express my own experience with Whiteflash."

I, myself, have read nothing but good reviews about WF, so I picked them, naturally. It was not a good experience for me, so I wrote about it.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Despite most of us having fantastic experiences with WF, you did not. I’m sorry about yours. Fortunately you found someone you work better with. Best wishes on your new piece and come back with pictures. I’m sure we each realize there are vendors we just don’t mesh with.

southernicetea

Shiny_Rock
Correct. Thus, I started writing this review with "I am aware, as I am writing this, that many of you will disagree with me, but I just want to express my own experience with Whiteflash."

I, myself, have read nothing but good reviews about WF, so I picked them, naturally. It was not a good experience for me, so I wrote about it.

I had a wonderful experience with Whiteflash, but I don't think you're alone in your less than spectacular experience. I recall someone else (@beigenarwhal ??) had an issue.

For what it's worth, I had a custom setting done through Whiteflash and the custom setting was a mistake. I take full responsibility for what I received because I'm not a jewelry maker, and I don't think I communicated my wishes well enough. However, Whiteflash was able to fix it and I received the exact setting that I had envisioned. They went above and beyond my expectations.

You don't have to jive with everyone, and that's okay! I'm glad that you found a new vendor. A ring should spark joy, and hopefully your new ring will do it!

Please show us hand pics when your ring is done!

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@daisygrl, thank you for sharing your experience and I’m sorry it didn’t work out for you with WF. I understand WF has very loyal customers who have had great experiences (as do most of the preferred vendors here on PS) and may take it personally when something negative is posted about these vendors, but no vender does a perfect job 100% of the time and I think it’s important that those who have less than perfect experiences feel safe sharing as much as those who’ve had exceptional experiences. I agree in some cases it can be a case of miscommunication, a “too picky” customer, etc., but regardless one should feel safe sharing and not have their feelings or experiences disregarded or minimized. And I don’t question at all your waiting until you received a full refund before posting a review. That is something I do as a matter of course and I don’t think it implies anything regarding the reputation of the vendor. I hope your new ring is everything you‘ve dreamed of. A lot of time, money and emotion goes into these purchases and your experience should meet or ideally exceed your expectations.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
@daisygrl, thank you for sharing your experience and I’m sorry it didn’t work out for you with WF. I understand WF has very loyal customers who have had great experiences (as do most of the preferred vendors here on PS) and may take it personally when something negative is posted about these vendors, but no vender does a perfect job 100% of the time and I think it’s important that those who have less than perfect experiences feel safe sharing as much as those who’ve had exceptional experiences. I agree in some cases it can be a case of miscommunication, a “too picky” customer, etc., but regardless one should feel safe sharing and not have their feelings or experiences disregarded or minimized. And I don’t question at all your waiting until you received a full refund before posting a review. That is something I do as a matter of course and I don’t think it implies anything regarding the reputation of the vendor. I hope your new ring is everything you‘ve dreamed of. A lot of time, money and emotion goes into these purchases and your experience should meet or ideally exceed your expectations.

I appreciate your insight. I was hesitant to write the review (I dislike negative anything, especially reviews) and it took me two weeks to give myself a voice and post it. I was well aware that by posting this I would be met with a certain defensiveness (please, whoever reads this, do not get offended by this word, it is not meant in a negative way), and I accepted it (but I did not let it stop me.)

Last edited:

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I had a wonderful experience with Whiteflash, but I don't think you're alone in your less than spectacular experience. I recall someone else (@beigenarwhal ??) had an issue.

For what it's worth, I had a custom setting done through Whiteflash and the custom setting was a mistake. I take full responsibility for what I received because I'm not a jewelry maker, and I don't think I communicated my wishes well enough. However, Whiteflash was able to fix it and I received the exact setting that I had envisioned. They went above and beyond my expectations.

You don't have to jive with everyone, and that's okay! I'm glad that you found a new vendor. A ring should spark joy, and hopefully your new ring will do it!

Please show us hand pics when your ring is done!

Will do as I can't wait! :lickout:

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I have had only great experiences with Whiteflash, but appreciate you sharing your experience with them. I have never attempted to get a custom setting though, only purchasing stock items from them, I had a bad experience with Brian Gavin one time a few years ago, but continued buying from them because I love their blue line, and have only had great experiences ever since that one time. I think every vendor has times when their customer service has not been up to their usual standard. I had some other not so great experiences from three other popular vendors here to the point I would not buy from them again, nor will I recommend them.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, they really dropped the ball on that one. I am so glad you decided to return the stone and start over. An experience like that completely taints how you feel about the stone. Can't wait to see your new ring.
Thanks for posting this. Every vendor drops the ball occasionally, but I think you posting about your experience helps them to do better.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nevermind, I went back and read it again, you were gonna go with DK but then went with CBI? I love the boston classic!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results