shape
carat
color
clarity

My new yellow sapphire!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
MZ, that warm ring kismet posted is really yummy! Do you think it would have a similar effect in platinum?

Would a topaz be a decent option?

TO-3506C.jpg

Or a hex amethyst?

AM-3612B.jpg

Or a concave pear aqua?

AQ-4717B.jpg

I''d love to do something like this spess, but this stone is more than I''d wanted to spend...

5154papspess.jpg

Yingh, I agree with you 100% that the value in this piece is in the mounting, not the citrines, but I''d hoped to minimize cost in doing the re-set & am afraid of how much it would cost to reset the sidestones AND the center stone. Though doing it that way would open up a lot more options...

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
good suggestion, Yingh.

BrightSpot, i personally love the mix of cool with warm colors so for me the warm yellows/oranges/reds with white metal works.....i like the contrast....but its not for everyone. it would definitely work for me.

i love the stones you posted...that topaz is lovey! but my heart of hearts belongs to spess so i''m really prejudiced in its favor. for me, the purple hex doesn''t work and its too dark. i almost think the topaz with citrine might be a darker look than you may want. the blue is gorgous but i''m not sure if the citrines can hold up their end of the bargain re luster. but that spess!!!! you could check with richard homer and see what he''s working on re spessartite. he may have something coming that is more affordable....or perhaps he can keep an eye out for you. rember, though, i''m really prejudiced but i do think it would be absolutely stunning!

have you seen Yingh''s richard homer cut spess? her stone is more yellow than the one you posted. but she provided the stone for richard to cut.

perhaps i missed it but did you mention the mm size that will fit in the existing mounting? depth may also be a consideration.

peace, movie zombie

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
More spess options: (not concave cut, but much cheaper!)

Tgem-50985a.jpg

Tgem-45508a.jpg

Any votes for any of the above?
9.gif

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I like the round one better with the hints of yellow and orange in it.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i vote for the bottom one.....because of the more overall color tone and i do like the shape.

please note that spess is EXTREMELY hard to photograph. what looks good in a picture may not be accurate. for instance, those yellow tones in the 1st picture may just be on the part of the camera.

can you get both stones sent to you for preview? until you actually see the stone and handle it, it is difficult to tell if it is what you really want.

both stones do look to have potential.

peace, movie zombie

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i like the cut of the bottom one better. i tend to gravitate towards clean lines, like those of the emerald cut.
mz is right about judging on the color. you just won''t be able to get an accurate rendition from a photo, so don''t judge on color alone.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
It might be best, though, just to get a round stone that roughly the same dimension as your diamond so that you don''t have to completely rework the setting. You can probably get a cutter (Homer, E., Graham, Stair, or even GemBob) to do something for you that would fit perfectly.

It''s a hair under 1 ct, right? So between 6 and 6.5 mm? I just did a search on multicolour... any shape, any gem, any color, but round and in that sie range. Check it out. Lots of cool ideas.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone else think that a pale yellow-green garnet that''s portuguese cut (I LOVE the portuguese cut!) and cost less than $40 might make a nice spot-filler? It can even be temporary. I think the mix of colors (earthy orange with olivey green) woudl go very well with this year''s Boho fashion look...
b_yma108cc.jpg
Linky

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2005 6:56:03 PM
Author: velouriaL
Does anyone else think that a pale yellow-green garnet that''s portuguese cut (I LOVE the portuguese cut!) and cost less than $40 might make a nice spot-filler? It can even be temporary. I think the mix of colors (earthy orange with olivey green) woudl go very well with this year''s Boho fashion look...
b_yma108cc.jpg
Linky

i like the color and sparkle, but will the citrines hold up against it....or does it even matter? perhaps the citrines should be more ''background'' stones if the center stone is really a sparkler!

peace, movie zombie

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Hey,

Wow, that stone is yummy! Velouria, I see what you mean about picking a stone of a similar size to my diamond to fit into the mounting w/o much alteration. This was my initial intent, but then I got sidetracked by all of the pretties out there! It would be much less expensive to do it this way, though, and would change the look of the ring the least.

I believe the measurements of my diamond are just under 7mm, so maybe a slightly bigger stone than the portugese cut garnet would be better? (though I LOVE that one!) I think the green/orange look could be interesting--I liked the cab emerald you posted too!

The citrines have basically no sparkle. They would definitely be background stones. I wonder, though, if it could be an interesting contrast w/ a really sparkly center stone?

I have to say that the red/orange look is growing on me too...

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Well, the citrines are with a really sparkly stone now, right? So that could give you a pretty good idea...

Some other ideas from multicolour search:
b_zacb1515ac.jpg

Catseye Chrysoberyl, 6.8mm, $434
m_ygg221aa.jpg

Tsavorite, 6.8mm, $528
m_xma140ac.jpg

Mali Garnet, 6.9mm, $85
m_xma121p.jpg

Mali Garnet, 6.7mm, $70
These "Mali Garnets" seem to e available in a wide variety of color and sizes for not much money... worth exploring... some portuguese cut, some not... if you liked this look, it''d be easy to achieve.
m_ymg170al.jpg

Malaia Garnet, 6.8mm, $60

There''s also tons of blue zircons and heavily included demantoids...

For just about every one of these, there''s a similar stone at a different price. Plenty of catseye chrysoberyls, for example, that are a hair smaller or have a slightly less vivid color or less pronounced star for half the price.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I was browsing on a jewelry store site and saw this peridot and citrine combo:
16285991_x234.jpg

and this citrine and smokey quartz combo, although it does look a bit masculine to me:
16347585_x234.jpg

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2005 11:45:55 AM
Author: velouriaL
Well, the citrines are with a really sparkly stone now, right? So that could give you a pretty good idea...
Doh! Good call...
2.gif

Wow--there are a lot of great options in that size range! Thanks, velouria! The garnets you posted are all lovely & could be quite pretty in that ring. They''re also very affordable! I really like the look of the portugese cut too. (though, if I had an unlimited budget, I''d probably go for the Richard Homer spess...yum!)

Kismet, I think the citrine/peridot combo is kinda pretty. I was also liking the 2nd ring you posted until I read the masculine comment. Now that''s all I see...
28.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
that yellow-green garnet is growing on me...especially since the citrines aren''t sparkly and will be background....

but a spess garnet with some orange/yellow/red fire going on would be nice, too!

keeping to the mm size of the original diamond and keeping costs down might allow you to also change out the stone if you don''t have lots of $$$ invested in the replacement....if you decide you don''t like the red, change it out for green or the reverse.

peace, movie zombie

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
I got my yellow sapphire today from Michael E. & it''s just gorgous! It''s brilliant and sunny & yummy!

Thank you, Michael E.!
36.gif

I''m going to spend many hours daydreaming of how to mount this baby....
9.gif

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Additional pictures demanded!!!!! You cannot do that to us!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I get home and there are no pics, shame on you BrightSpot!!!!!!
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results