shape
carat
color
clarity

My new yellow sapphire!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock

So, this is very interesting. I just got pics of my yellow sapphire from Michael E. & am scrambling to post them on PS & found that someone has ressurected my original thread. I thought I''d start a new one anyway, though!

2.gif

Here are pics of my new stone! It was designed as a cut corner cushion so that the corners are flat & will be secured easily by prongs (as opposed to a traditional cushion which has rounded corners & is more difficult to set.)

The stone weighs 1.76 carats & the dimensions are 8mm x 6mm & it will fit into an emerald cut setting.

I''m so excited!

Now, I really have to make a decision on how to set it, though. My bf & I have made alternate plans for our e-ring, so this will be a RHR. I''d love to hear your thoughts.

Here are pics of the sapphire:

M.E. yellow sapphire 2.jpg

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
So, while this ring is no longer going to be an e-ring, I''m looking for simpler (and less expensive) mounting options.

Any ideas?

M.E. yellow sapphire  view 1.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Brightspot,
Wow it''s just yummy!!!! What kind of setting are you thinking for it???
30.gif

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Here is one idea. This platinum ring w/ citrine trilliant sidestones currently houses my diamond, which is being remounted for my e-ring.

This mounting was a gift from my grandmother so I''d like to use it for something--perhaps to mount the yellow sapphire? (though I don''t know that I''m wild about the idea of having a yellow center stone w/ orange side stones.)

What do you guys think?

citrine ring Image 4.JPG

widget

Ideal_Rock
Wow...Brightspot, your new sapphire is just beautiful!
18.gif

Regarding the ring from your grandmother: It would be great if you could use it for the sapphire...

I agree that mating the sapph with the citrines is probably not the greatest idea. Have you considered replacing the trills with CZs, zircons, or white sapphires?

Just a thought...
1.gif

widget

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
OH MY GOODNESS! That is SO GORGEOUS! Michael E. really did a great job! It''s so beautiful!

I don''t know how easily that setting can be modified to fit your new stone... someone with that kind of experience will have to chime in on that. I agree with widget, thought, that it would be nice to replace the citrines with a colorless stone. Maybe make the trills into earrings?

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Wow!!! That sapphire is beautiful!! I''m not sure your grandma''s setting can be modified to fit the shape though -- good question for a pro. I would definitly change out the sides to either cz, diamond, or white sapphires though. I don''t think that the citrines will show off the sapphire nearly as well as white side stones.

DiamondLil

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone for your thoughts & compliments! Michael E. really did a spectacular job with this stone!
36.gif

I checked & it is possible to modify this mounting to fit my sapphire, but it would take a fairly substantial amount of work. The cost of modifying the mounting would be similar to the cost of setting the stone in a plain gold solitaire mounting.

I agree that clear sidestones (diamonds, white sapphires, zircons, CZs) would flatter the yellow sapphire better than citrines. But then I wonder, if I''m altering this mounting to such a large degree, (changing the head, reworking the shank, swapping out the sidestones) would it just be easier (and maybe even cheaper?) to set the sapphire into a totally different mounting? (with or without sidestones) Or maybe mount it into the setting w/ the citrines temporarily & swap them for different sidestones later?

I guess I could always set a white sapphire or a CZ into the citrine mounting at a later date? I just feel like I''m suddenly accumulating a lot of RHRs. (not that that''s necessarily a bad thing...
20.gif
)

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
What a winner! I love the color!
30.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
the sapphire is stunning...but then so is grandmother''s ring!

personally, my mind''s eye sees the sapphire in a newer setting.......i think i''m too sentimental to modify the ring for the sapphire. i''d probably find another stone to replace the diamond.... then i''d have three rings: grandma''s, my e-ring, and the sapphire ring.

peace, movie zombie

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/28/2005 4:53:07 PM
Author: movie zombie
the sapphire is stunning...but then so is grandmother''s ring!

personally, my mind''s eye sees the sapphire in a newer setting.......i think i''m too sentimental to modify the ring for the sapphire. i''d probably find another stone to replace the diamond.... then i''d have three rings: grandma''s, my e-ring, and the sapphire ring.

peace, movie zombie
What beautiful color and look at that briliance. I wonder how yummy it must be viewed in person.
emsmilep.gif

I agree with MZ on the mounting. Do not alter grandma''s ring. Start from scratch so you may pass on to your own grand-daughter one day! The new ring will have your taste all over it. So there goes two piece of family treasure.
face1.gif

Curious about the before & after comparison. Any picture shots before and after? spec? post them!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What beautiful color ! Good for you :)

One more vote for a new setting - I can hardly imagine the citrines keeping up with the saphire and it would be a miracle if the colors end up a match. Of course, this is your call to decide...

How does a tension setting sound ? Or something like the tank rings by Cartier ? neither would have sidestones, although a pair of small diamonds burnished into the sides of the setting can't hurt. Especially yellow ones.

2b_1.JPG
Cartier Tank ring on Ebay

And a tension setting with large rectangular stone
t18-200.jpg
which could easily take accents of colored diamond dots
tmain_19-over.jpg
and would look fantastic with a yellow gold inlay and a certain superb yellow stone...

Btw, remember this one ?

DSCN5612_Medium.jpg
The model came from a certain pink ring at Art of Platinum, and the same shop happens to have a rather glorious yellow sapphire ring of the same flavour:

r206-12W.jpg

Aparently, your sapphire has a nicer, livelier color than that ! I cannot start to guess your taste, but this last ring definitely leads my thought to a version with engraved shoulders instead of the pave patches, perhaps a vine engraving with one or two diamond dots or even enamel inlayed engraving. Perhaps such graphic design jewelry is not on everyone's taste. Just a thought ...

Hoefully the ton of pictures is not annoying, folks
38.gif
Just let me know.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I''m convinced to set the yellow sapphire in a new setting. Thanks, everyone!

Actually, I think I might need to decide what to do w/ the old mounting first (before I set the sapphire)

Any suggestions on what I could set into the citrine mounting?

Valeria, wow, those are some stunning mountings you posted! I''d never thought of using a more modern setting, (most of my rings are in pretty traditional settings) but these are yummy. Food for thought...
18.gif

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Those are gorgeous, Ana. I love the tension settings, and I''m not usually a huge fan of that look. I like the e-w idea, too.

Maybe you can set the citrines with a cz and use it as a travel e-ring... Then again, I guess you''d be devastated for sentimental reasons if you lost it, so that sort of defeats the purpose of a travel ring...

You may have to go colorless, though, nonetheless. I don''t what else would work well with citrines.

This maybe a crazy longshot, but what about a neat cabochon or carving? Something in warm tones... Or what about an amethyst? It''s the same material as citrine, and to my eyes, they go together.

What about a concave cut ametrine like this except round and the right size:
AT-3037B.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2005 2:05:15 PM
Author: BrightSpot
Ok, I''m convinced to set the yellow sapphire in a new setting. Thanks, everyone!

Actually, I think I might need to decide what to do w/ the old mounting first (before I set the sapphire)

Any suggestions on what I could set into the citrine mounting?

Valeria, wow, those are some stunning mountings you posted! I''d never thought of using a more modern setting, (most of my rings are in pretty traditional settings) but these are yummy. Food for thought...
18.gif
glad you''re going to preserve grandmother''s ring! your sapphire will be stunning in a modern setting.

but i am confused: i thought you had removed the diamond for your e-ring? are the citrines staying in place?

i love color contrast so i''d actually consider doing a large color stone to replace the center diamond. i guess you could try and get another citrine that would blend well with the older citrine stones....wow, talk about some solid head on color! i''d also be looking at reds, greens and/or blues to contrast with the citrines....

such fun! you have several great projects going!

peace, movie zombie

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Would a little cab-quality emerald look nice in there?
EM-4526B.jpg

OR jadeite?

Some sort of fire agate:
FA-4731B.jpg

Or something like this girasol opal:
OP-4098B.jpg

I''m trying to brainstorm ideas that will help the ring not look like an e-ring... maybe I''m a little eccentric, but I think getting off the beaten path migth be fun, especially for a ring that''s not gonig to be worn every day.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''d hate to see a CZ go in grandmother''s ring....but the other ideas open many doors. a round concave cut could be interesting.....

peace, movie zombie

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Velouria, I agree with you--I'm not usually a fan of tension settings, but the ones Ana posted are amazing! I'm also (now) considering the E-W look for the yellow sapphire. But I may wait a bit to set it...

Wow--what cool ideas re: the citrine ring!

Just to clarify, my grandmother gave me this mounting as a gift, but it is a modern mounting--it wasn't something she's had and worn for years, then handed down to me. So I think it would be fine to put something a little funky in it--it's not like it would ruin the integrity of an antique piece. But I agree with you, MZ, I'd rather not put a CZ in there if I can avoid it.

The citrines are indeed difficult to match.
40.gif
I would love to get a concave-cut stone! I've been salivating over Mine's new ring...
30.gif
Who does those again? (what's the website?)

I think a carving might be really fun. Or, do you think a topaz might look nice w/ the citrines?

Yes, MZ, the diamond is being remounted (removed from the ring pictured above), but the citrines are staying in place. Heh--I know, it's a lot of projects going at once!

Would something like this be silly? I'm not sure if I like it or not...
Q-4439B.jpg

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
I think those cool carvings (what are they?) would look really cool. It would dress-down the ring about for everyday wear and not compete as much with your e-ring while still being a really cool, unique look!

A lot of people do concave cuts, but the most well-known guy is Richard Horners at concavegems.com. Look around, though, there are lots to be found elsewhere, like acstones.com, for one.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Here are the specs on the carved citrines from ACS Gems:

Reverse Carved Citrine Pair (J) 10.2 ct. tw. 12.2 ct. tw. [Gec: N] Round cabochon. These eyeclean medium light yellow pieces of unheated citrine have been very skillfully carved from the reverse side to display fancy three dimensional star figures.
I didn''t realize how big they were, though!
6.gif
Perhaps too big... Also, I wouldn''t need both stones. (unless I set one as a pendant--somebody stop me!!!) I think the colors would be ok together.

Do you think it would dress down the ring too much? I think they would make the ring look different from my e-ring as well as from the yellow sapphire ring. (I was afraid these 2 rings would look too similar...)

Wow, I''m going to have to check out concavegems!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Your citrine ring looks quite like an e-ring. Why don''t you use it as your e-ring? Remove the citrine and make them earrings. You can have many options for side stones, sapphire, tanzanite, spinel, or spess.

Maybe you have a plan for e-ring already.

I happen to have a pair of loose citrine, so I played it with my other color stones to get an idea. Honestly, very few will go well with the citrine. If you ask me, only two options:
1. Light blue aquamarine. The light blue tint compensated by the citrine looks very pleasing.

2. If you have ever had your hands on Wink''s CZ, maybe you would not be so against the idea.
5.gif
I ordered a 7.5mm flander cut, and almost regret all the money spent on my 2.26 triple ideal diamond! It looks so real even when I put them side by side. Here is the link. His color CZ maybe another option, like light yellow or champagne.

LINK

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
MichaelE rocks!
36.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the centre stone of your grandmothers ring a few suggestions could be

lima quartz

peridot

smokey quartz

white sapphire

fire opal

opal

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something different - what about rutilated quartz.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
How about imperial topaz or ametrine (if you can find one the right size)?

DiamondLil

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I rather like the yellow/orange look... how about a spessartite?
Autumn-Spessartite-Ring-6.gif

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness, those Richard Homer gems are gorgeous! Can you imagine this aqua in that mounting? (I never would've thought of an aquamarine--good call, yingh!)

4915aqua.jpg
I'm afraid it might be beyond my budget, though. (the stone is expensive & I'd need to alter the head of the ring to accomodate it)

Or how about this tourmaline?
5139gtourm.jpg
This one is 1.15 ct--an easier fit.

The citrines in my setting are pretty flat in color (included & w/o much brilliance), so I think a concave cut gem might make for a nice contrast.

Ok, now I'm going to look at your other suggestions.
1.gif

ETA: Ooh, kismet, that's also pretty. I didn't think the yellow/orange combo could be so stunning!

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
I keep coming back to look at that sapphire! Siiiiigh...

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''m with kismet...i like the real warm tones complimenting and contrasted together. or perhaps i just love that ring?!

perhaps an orange concave cut gem for the center?

peace, movie zombie

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
I know I am in the minority here but I want to say it anyway....

You know citrines are relatively inexpensive stones. The mounting itself worth much more. I suggest that you forget about the citrines for now. All you need to do is find a set of three stones to fit in. You have so much more options now. Just my 0.20.
26.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results