shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow sapphire to look like a canary diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

I''m working with Michael E. to create a yellow sapphire engagement ring & would love to hear your thoughts. (I spoke with Michael this week & he''s SO nice!)

I hope to find a yellow sapphire that could pass as a canary diamond to the untrained eye. I''m in the process of looking for a yellow sapphire & wondered what you thought about color. (Michael E will recut the stone to make it sparklier.) From what I understand, lighter yellow diamonds are more plentiful, but more vivid stones are more valuable. What do you think would be a good color in a stone? I''m planning to mount it in a white gold halo-style mounting & would like some contrast between the halo & the yellow of the sapphire, but don''t want it so dark that it looks like a citrine or another yellow stone.

Do you think the color on either of these stones would be good? Which do you prefer? Lighter or more saturated color? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

This is the light yellow stone...

light yellow sapphire.jpg

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
This is the darker yellow stone.

Which is better/prettier/more diamond-like?

Thanks!

bright yellow sapphire.jpg

Lurchie

Shiny_Rock
Hmm, I know which I prefer, (#2) but not sure it would be more "diamond-like." I think yellow sapphires with a rich, orangey hue are to die for, but may not look more like a diamond. Your ring idea sounds fantastic and I can''t wait to see the finished product!

Layne

Shiny_Rock
I prefer the first- by far. I''m also on the market for a light yellow sapphire! Mine will be for a rhr.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Lurchie. I think both seem somewhat similar in color to yellow diamonds. The first looks similar (to me) to this intense yellow diamond ring, while the second seems similar to this vivid yellow diamond ring. What do you think?

I think I''m leaning towards #2 as it''s rich & beautiful & would provide a nice contrast against the white halo (BF likes #2 too), but on the other hand, I have the sense that a lighter stone might look more diamond-like and more like an engagement ring.

Hmm...decisions, decisions!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stronger color is better be it for diamonds or sapphire. Yellow sapphire is a great gem in itself, but has nothing to do with diamonds. Yellow CZ makes a passable substitute you could prezent as diamond allot easier than yellow sapphire
20.gif

Just IMO

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
A sapphire can be cut to be more sparkly, I really don''t know if many people will confuse it for a diamond, but I think it will be very pretty in its own right!

If you like the "diamond look," I would say, go for the lighter one, but don''t try to pass it off as a diamond. I kind of like its lemony color, too.

Layne

Shiny_Rock
Some pics to inspire you

mymodog.jpg

Layne

Shiny_Rock
rowan''s ring

rowan1.jpg

Layne

Shiny_Rock
Guslick''s neclace

have you checked out DiamondsbyLauren.com?

guslik.jpg

Lurchie

Shiny_Rock
BrightSpot,

Both of those examples are gorgeous! If I may be so bold, I think a yellow sapphire will be even prettier in that the color saturation seems to be more consistent than in a yellow diamond, at least to my very untrained eyes.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
nice pick widget! i like that one
3.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the lighter, lemon colored sapphires myself. That goes for yellow diamonds as well. I think you have a great idea. I recently saw Logan Sapphire''s yellow sapphire ring, and since then, I''ve been eyeing a few yellow sapphires myself. Don''t forget to post the results.

DiamondLil

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This ring, one of the mini-mania collection by Sheldon Speyer, is also a yellow sapphire ring. (I own this one.)

Deb

yellowsapphirebyspeyer.jpg

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your thoughts, encouragement & the stunning pics!

Layne, Guslick''s necklace is absolutely fabulous! I have indeed spent a lot of time drooling over David''s creations at DiamondsbyLauren.
2.gif

Ooh--widget, that emerald cut sapphire is beautiful!

Diamondlil, I''d been thinking of going the yellow sapphire route, but seeing Logan Sapphire''s ring just pushed me over the edge!

AGBF, your sapphire ring is lovely! I''m thinking wedding band....?
4.gif

I''ll definitely post the results & will most likely bend everyone''s ear several more times before then!

Perhaps sapphires are a girl''s (second) best friend...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Five cts sapphire, .33 pts sides.... $1700 at Walter Arnstein''s shop
1.gif

Y196_1_05062005122932PM

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2005 11:10:42 AM
Author: valeria101
Five cts sapphire, .33 pts sides.... $1700 at Walter Arnstein''s shop
1.gif
18.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
30.gif
30.gif
Oh my that is pretty!!!

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a yummy ring, velouria!
emteeth.gif

I have a bit of an update on my situation. Michael E. emailed me to say he''d bought a 3 ct + yellow sapphire for me, which will be able to be re-cut to a 2 ct cushion shape. I haven''t seen pics of it yet & don''t know what the color is yet (lighter or deeper), but Michael said he''d send me a pic when he received the stone.

I''m trying to decide on the details of the mounting now. The things I''m considering are a mounting w/ half-moon sidestones like the ring velouria posted or a pave/halo mounting. (some examples below)

Which do you guys like better?

As I don''t typically associate colored stones w/ engagement rings, I''d like to do as much as I can to make the stone look e-ringy. I like the half-moon mounting b/c it''s simple & classic & looks similar to many 3-stone rings I''ve seen with yellow diamonds, but I wonder it if looks more like a RHR than an e-ring.

I think the pave/halo rings are very pretty & might make the ring look more like an e-ring to me. Do you think the split-shank E-W setting is too modern (I''m a fairly traditional girl) or cool & different? Would a N-S halo setting look more like an e-ring?

Thanks for your thoughts!

pink tourm ring.jpg

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Is this too modern or does it look like an e-ring to you?

split shank emerald 1.jpg

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Or something like this (from DCD)? I''m afriad the amount of diamonds on this one might send it beyond our budget, though...

split shank pear.jpg

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
I also love this ring from Leon Marge. Do you think something like this would be pretty w/ a 2 ct cushion sapphire? (It''s hard for me to envision some of these things!)

LM Emerald ring.JPG

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2005 11:35:25 AM
Author: BrightSpot
Is this too modern or does it look like an e-ring to you?
i don''t much like this one, but it''s you who need to like it! is it something you would want?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i really like this one...
18.gif

emeraldcushionset.JPG

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
From Michael E. about the sapphire:

"It is a medium yellow, not too light and it is deep enough to cut
a Barion style cut, which will allow the stone to retain it''s
color after being recut. It should cut to a 7mm x 8.5mm
antique cushion or fat oval and be around 2 carats or so when
finished. "

Does anyone know what a Barion style cut is? Would antique cushion or fat oval be a better choice? Does this help re: the mountings? Apparently the stone won''t arrive for another week or so.

I''m so confused!
emcrook.gif

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
I think an antique cushion is prettier, personally. Fat oval (Rovals?) are nice, too.

Barion cutting is way of faceting the gem, I believe, so that it has beter light performance. I know that barion cut pears don''t have the same "bow tie" problem that a lot of traditional pears do. Here''s a comparison I foudn from a google search showing the difference between a Barion and a "Ceylon" cut in a spinel. I assume the the "Ceylon" is a native cut... The Barion looks a lot better, has no window, has superior light return and fire.

So, yeah, Michael E. definitely know what he''s talking about regarding the optics of the stone. You can relax in that respect.

I think either a simple halo design, a simple 3-stone, or a solitaire with a little pave on the shanks will say "engagment ring" particularly with a yellow center stone.

What about something like this:
15646649_x468.jpg

You could probably do white sapphires for the sides to save moeny. That would look nice with three cushions...

Or this, with a cushion or roval:
16477887_x234.jpg

Another 3 stone idea:
16477945_x234.jpg

Another:
16311656_x234.jpg

All of these DEFINITELY say, "engagement ring" to me, as do the one you posted. (Less so the split shank with the emerald, actually).

Maybe decide which elements are most important to you (the halo, the pave, the three stone) and then figure out which you''d be willing to sacrifice, then figure out what you can get in your price range... and then, well, go for it! Or have your BF make the final decision. You''ll be thrilled with whatever he presents you with, I''m sure!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: BrightSpot

Does anyone know what a Barion style cut is? Would antique cushion or fat oval be a better choice?
SO FUNNY YOU SHOULD ASK!!! I just received this ring from Michael E this week!

He cut and set this little aquamarine into an old Deco mounting I had kicking around. He described it as a "mixed Barion cut".

Obviously Michael can explain what a Barion Cut is, and what he has in mind for your stone, but my impression of this aqua is that it's underside almost looks like that of a brilliant cut diamond. It is much brighter, livelier, more sparkly than I ever expected an aquamarine to be!

Regarding which style mounting looks "Eringy"...I feel almost the opposite of you...I tend to think of a three-stone ring as looking Eringy, and a halo mounting (particularly with a larger center stone) as looking more RHR-y. Oh heck...either way would be just fine...and absolutely gorgeous!...

Don'd be confused....have fun!

widget

i98.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Widget,
That aquamarine ring is just beautiful. Brightspot, I like all the rings except the east to west one, but that''s just me. I like the ring but not for an engagement ring.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a pic of the underside of the aqua...

r5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results