shape
carat
color
clarity

My new peachy pink malaya!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
It got here in just two days. I thought the mail from Yuma was supposed to be slow? Anyway I LOVE my new stone. It''s usually pink, sometimes peachy and a few shades in between. It''s from Bekily Madgascar, and was from some vein that was mined around 1999 to 2000. Barry say''s it''s been hard to find rough like it again. I guess it''s discussed in a back issue of Gems & Gemology. Anyway here are some pics!

malaya371.JPG

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
another.

malaya375.JPG

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
and another.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
one more.

malayapeachy3.JPG

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
One didn''t work.

malaya3712.JPG

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Peter wonders if it''s a cat treat. By the way I''m sorry I don''t take great photos.

mayalapeter.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IK,
That''s gorgeous. My garnet from Barry is also from the Berkily (sp?) find in Madagascar. I think they''re gorgeous Malayas. I love the color change on your stone.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, perhaps are stones are cousins. Or something like that.
The color is mostly pinkish like in the first picture but depending on the lighting and room of the house I get many variations. It''s a very fun stone. I got that strong peach with Florescent light.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
IK, I love your stone. Love how it changes colors. Are you going to set it?? How big is it? Sure shows beautiful colors.

LOL, your lucky Peter didn''t slurp it up. BTW, I like your kitchen faucet.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Our house is from 1904 so when we fixed up the bathroom we tried to use "old" looking fixtures to match the rest of the house :). The stone is 6.4 by 7.2 I think? I have to double check. It's 1.73 carats. I do plan on setting it. Maybe in 18k yellow gold? I'm curious to see what hers will look like in RG.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Ooops lots of typos. Sorry guys. I''m multi tasking!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
love those malayas! Between that and Barry''s cutting, how could you go wrong?! Hmm, I am liking the idea of gold for it... rose might be nice! I am totally craving some rose gold myself. beautiful stone!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s a good looking Malaya; you ladies are tempting me to get a Barry Malaya garnet now.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 7:37:29 PM
Author: Chrono
That''s a good looking Malaya; you ladies are tempting me to get a Barry Malaya garnet now.
You better hurry up before he runs out of the material!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t: I''m saving up my pennies for my tsavorite.
39.gif

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
It''s exquisite!!! I LOVE the color changes!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Inner kitten, I love your stone. I bet Barry has been inundated with requests for more Malaya Garnet. If it wasn''t for the fact that I desparately want to set at least a couple of my stones, I would have been on the phone in a heartbeat! I''m trying to fend off becoming an out an out collector, but it is soooo difficult when there is such lovely stuff around! Did you see the Malaya in Gary''s new release? Another lovely stone.

You may have seen my peachy pink tourmaline. I''ve been in some dilema as to how to set it. The waters are becoming a little less murky but some interesting questions have arisen during the process. My first thought and that of Tourmaline Lover, whose opinion I respect enormously was to go with a rose gold bezel and I see that you have thought about that too. I still think it''s not a bad idea in theory but I am worried about the colour of the gold because it''s not like I can see it in person before it is done. I did a fairly thorough search looking for pinky peachy stones bezelled in rose gold. There was a lot of rose gold halos that I didn''t like because of the colour.

As I understand it a lot of goldsmiths mix their own alloys, there does seem to be a fair amount of variety of colour out there. I love Mark Morell''s rose gold, but Mark Morell was not a contender for my project. So dilema follows. Then I came across the picture I am showing you here. Admittedly, its a pink diamond, but when I looked at it the stone did not look a million miles away from the colour of mine. I think this is the only picture I have seen of a pink stone, white halo with a yellow gold bezel and I quite liked it, so this is my current favourite option.

Just something for you to think about.

pink set in yellow gold.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IK,
I posted a picture of my stone next to coppery rose gold and white gold. If you want to bring out more pink, use rose gold, if you want to bring out more peach, use white gold. Same exact lighting conditions were used, only the metal has changed. I opted to go with 18K rose gold for a more subdued rose gold, one that would be pink but not overly so so that the stone doesn''t "disappear."

Here''s the pic at the bottom of this page.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-bb-imperial-malaya-garnet.106229/page-5

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Love the color of your malaya. The cut is beautiful!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
LOL at Peter! How cute! I bet he lost interest when it didn''t smell delicious lol.

That is such a pretty stone - it''s a very warm color, very pretty pink. It makes me think of gum lol.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I think that stone looks fantastic - I can''t wait to see what you decide to do with it (and hopefully get to see it in person at the next GTG
31.gif
)

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys. I think everyone should have one. Get em while you can!

Chrono, maybe after you get the tsav?

TL, I think your stone looks great with the rosier metal.

Nice ring Gailey, I so know what you mean about buying too many stones and then never getting around to setting them. I''m trying to be careful too. I want a deep purple amethyst in the near future. But otherwise I''m saving my money so I can actually get a few things set.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Yummm!!
18.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 8:57:10 PM
Author: innerkitten
Thanks guys. I think everyone should have one. Get em while you can!

Chrono, maybe after you get the tsav?

TL, I think your stone looks great with the rosier metal.

Nice ring Gailey, I so know what you mean about buying too many stones and then never getting around to setting them. I''m trying to be careful too. I want a deep purple amethyst in the near future. But otherwise I''m saving my money so I can actually get a few things set.
I''ll post pics when I get the setting, so you can see, and decide what you want to do.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty. My cats think my gems are "treats" too

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Another pretty stone! I''m glad i just got on the Malaya bandwagon. I hope mine looks as great as yours!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 6:30:46 PM
Author: innerkitten
Peter wonders if it''s a cat treat. By the way I''m sorry I don''t take great photos.
Awww, cute picture! Beautiful stone, congrats!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous! I love the picture of the kitty giving it a sniff. Definitely not a toy though! I look forward to seeing it set.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 6:27:27 PM
Author:innerkitten
It got here in just two days. I thought the mail from Yuma was supposed to be slow? Anyway I LOVE my new stone. It''s usually pink, sometimes peachy and a few shades in between. It''s from Bekily Madgascar, and was from some vein that was mined around 1999 to 2000. Barry say''s it''s been hard to find rough like it again. I guess it''s discussed in a back issue of Gems & Gemology. Anyway here are some pics!
Here''s the article.

http://www.gia.edu/gemsandgemology/18578/1184/164/back_issue_article_detail.cfm

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results