shape
carat
color
clarity

My NEW "Odds and Ends" necklace by BGD!!!!

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my heavens! That necklace is to die for...so jealous! :appl:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seriously, lady, you have one of the more enviable collection on PS! Your ring, brooch, and now necklace are just so classy and unique. I adore each one. Do you own earrings?

I have been putting all my jewelry fund towards buying the main diamonds I wear (solitaire and now earrings) but in the future, I will be putting more towards the settings for the stones so I will have pieces that are so unique and special, like you have. Your pieces are so inspiring!

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! This turned out GREAT!!! It's so beautiful!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone. Just about to leave work and wanted to log back on with the sarin and respond to some of the questions. I'm sorry I'm not responding to your posts individually, but I just started a new job (all good so far!) on Monday, and we just moved cities and apartments last week so I am beat. I hope you know I have read every post and your words are so dear to me. 8)

As you can see the .63 is DEEP (actually it is deeper than my asscher, which is kinda funny) plus it has a super high crown (20%) and is out of round (bezel rounds it though) so faces up like a smaller stone. But the angles work and it is just lovely and I adore the facet pattern (will try to get close ups of it this weekend).

As embarrassing as it is to admit, I forgot to ask Brian to weigh and measure the other stones, so I don't know the stats on any of them. I DO know that when the .40-something was unset and I compared its spread to the .30's in my Aurora band the spread was about the same. So I would estimate that the spread on it is 4.3mm-ish. Again super high crown and a deeper stone.

As for the small stones. These are round brilliants but I never got them appraised. When they were in the original setting I was told they were at least 7 pointers at most 10 pointers the time I had it looked at (never got it appraised). I forgot to ask Brian to weigh or measure them. So he doesn't have the figures.

I will be getting the necklace officially appraised in the next few weeks and so I will have much more accurate stats on the entire thing then. And I am happy to post them. The carat weight is at least 1.5 on the necklace (with about 1.1 in the three stones in the center).

So... advice to anyone who wants something similar. Melee is really expensive right now. So I would (and this is for experienced PSers who are also experienced ebayers) advise looking for vintage 7 stone bands with .5-.75 carats total weight. I've seen these going for good prices even still on ebay. And for used chains (especially if you have good pawn shops in your area). I haven't seen many great deals on smaller OECs on ebay recently. But I paid around 500 for what is now my recut .63.

I won't tell you what Neatfreak paid for the .40-something, suffice to say that woman has MAD freaking ebay stills and I am IN AWE. But she also bought the stone before all these ridiculous material hikes.

As for my 'collection' being unique. Thank you guys, that's such a high compliment. Jewelry is super fun for me. Sometimes when I look at things I see potential designs in them, instead of seeing them as they are. I've always loved browsing in fabric stores and when I was much younger and my grandmother would sew things (and then later when I learned to sew) I could spend hours going from bolt to bolt imagining what I would do with the fabric. For some reason diamonds (but not gemstones, unfortunately) bring out that side of me. Not much else does these days and I haven't sewn anything for years. So this is my outlet.

Plus, I'm a BORING dresser (except for an embarrassing fascination with lurid shades of green in my youth and an enduring love of anything paisley, which I have learned to indulge sparingly for the good of all). So (except for my shoes, love shoes) my jewelry is really the 'thing' in my wardrobe with any personality. Otherwise you are looking at someone who has 10 cardigans, 20 shells for under them, two pairs of jeans, and a lot of (extremely conversative) slacks. I get jiggy with a sun dress or two in the summer but the rest could would put you to SLEEP.

I think if you WANT more unique jewelry, just browse a lot. That's what I do. I'm like a magpie building a nest, I take a bit from this and a bit from that and throw it together to get something that works cohesively. If I can find them (I'm not sure if I will be able to find them on PS 2.0 as I'm not sure I remember all the posters) I will post some of the pieces that inspired this one. But one is ... the gorgeous pear drop pendant with the DBY chain by... um. Starry? It's the one without pave with the (killer) pear. Not sure I remember the owner right now. The other is a pair of OEC earrings Mara had posted... gosh, 4 years ago. I don't remember why she posted them, but I remember staring at them 1000 times. They were the first old cuts I fell in love with. They had a medium OEC on top, a small one in the center, and a large one on the bottom (which is the lay out of my drop on this necklace). And then Neatfreaks bezel studs with the super thin milgrain that I've been drooling over for the last year.

As for pics. I WILL TRY for as many as possible. We do have a very nice camera and the days are getting longer so there is a chance I might be able to talk my husband (I am abysmal photographer, no skills there what so ever) into a prolonged photo shoot on the piece.

Again, thanks everyone for your incredible comments. I know how much 'real' pics mean to us, so I will get them up as soon as I can.

Gypsy_OM_Repair.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, one more answer. Yes, I do own diamond earrings. Just ( :devil: ) one pair for the time being. But I do have some cute dangle amethyst sugarloaf enhancers for them by Daniel M (I bought the amethysts from Art N. at a GTG, and she got them from Swala), that I will take pictures of this weekend too as they turned out really fun.

My earrings are these http://www.kraiko.com/detail.aspx?ID=445 1.0 ctw purchased from Pearlmans (who no longer carries the line) by my husband for Christmas last year. They are really versitile and have superb coverage.

Studs are next on my list of bling. But they will likely wait till at least 2012. I would REALLY love OEC studs in eight prong settings around 1.8 ctw, but they are going to be a PITA to find at a price I am willing to pay. So, I will likely go with BGD Blue diamonds (if they start carrying smaller ones) so that I can upgrade to 2.0 ctw (which is entirely Brian's fault that I want ones so large) over several years. I love studs because of their potential. You can do so much with jackets and dangle enhancers to personalize them. They are the ultimate fun accessory.

:wavey:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, I'm in love!!!! And what a great idea for stray stones that might go unloved otherwise. :love: :love: :love: :love:

I'm getting ideas for some of my homeless diamonds. :naughty: :Up_to_something:

Gypsy|1300399859|2874265 said:
I promise neckshots shots by the end of the weekend if not sooner.

Just remember, I have more of those pins if you hold out on us...... :bigsmile:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really well done! :appl:

stci

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous because I can't find the word to tell you how beautiful and much much more! I'm in love.... :love: :love:

Congrats Sweety!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It turned out SO AMAZING!! You're such an inspiration for jewellery recycling! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Those are some "odds and ends"! Next time you plan to throw out your trash, can I come over?? :naughty: It is absolutely gorgeous and I love the sentimentality behind each item in the necklace! :appl: :appl:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Oh this is superb!

I have a pendant with millgrain by BGD too, it's slightly wonky because there was a chip on the girdle of my stone, but the millgrain is very finely done!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Oh Gypsy!!! It's absolutely gorgeous! What a wonderful way to make unwearable pieces into something you'll wear and enjoy! :appl:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I seriously got chills when I looked at those pics! That is absolutely gorgeous :love: I can't not believe that was put together from random miscellaneous stones, it all goes so perfectly together. Can't wait to see more pics!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much all! I'm really happy with it! And it was such an easy process. I just sent everything to BGD. And then sent them an email outlining exactly what I wanted done, line by line. Brian called me to confirm everything. And the next thing I knew a couple weeks had gone by and everything was ready to ship.

Hubby was very cute last night. He was DIPLOMATICALLY trying to tell me that (while he likes my BGD pendant very much) he prefers this necklace to my others. And even examined the facets of the OECs and said they look like stars. That's the most attention he has paid to a piece since my engagement ring. I think it's fair to say he likes it.

And I do too. I just REALLY love the facetting of the older cuts. I have been jonsing for an early transitional for a while. But have no idea what I'd do with one (other than stare at it all the time). But after staring at this necklace for an hour last night-- I'm putting you guys on notice. Don't be surprised if I eventually (in the next 5 years...lol) end up with one. I'm going to have to see if we have any good pawn shops somewhere near an affluent area here.

Will work on pictures since the weekend is ALMOST here. Been a busy week. But I am afraid of those pins, so I will get on it!

Steven emailed me that my ring is done too! And Neil is expecting the package, so all is well on that as well. I don't have pics or anything so the first impression I get from it is going to be whatever Neil says when he opens the package. :))

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy-glad you are happy with it!!! I can't wait to see pics. I am also falling in love with the old cuts (some day I will have an OEC pendant!)

isn't it fun when husbands/boyfriends/etc get excited about jewelry? since he seems to like it so much maybe you can convince him to take some good pics for us :)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Ohhh, nicely done!

cheers--Sharon

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooooooooo, girl, that is very pretty. Hmmmmm, I feel an idea coming on :naughty:

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Wow Gypsy, I really love your new necklace. You are a lucky lady.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The design and style of your necklace is VERY PRETTY!!!! Great use of the diamonds!! Looks Beautiful!!

starshine

Shiny_Rock
Love it!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, it's GORGEOUS! I love everything about it, especially the milgraining. :love:

BoulderGal

Brilliant_Rock
Holy Moley! :appl: That's one gorgeous necklace, wonderfully sentimental too! Pictures please!

BoulderGal

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
Wow Gypsy, that is such a truly unique, gorgeously stunning necklace! I can hardly wait for your pics.

It would NEVER occur to me to put all those pieces together, and I love how it all turned out. It really made me more open minded when considering jewellery projects. How wonderful to own something so personal and unique. Wear in good health.

dinamit

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Naturally I've been gone for 2 days and miss this!

It's just gorgeous, Gypsy! :love: :love: :love: :appl: I have a 7 stone ring that I have also thought about turning into a necklace, so it is extremely encouraging to see how well yours turned out! (I had to laugh when I read your wardrobe description because it sounds awfully similar to mine! :lol: )

Oh, and congrats on the new job and I hope it turns out to be the perfect fit for you! :appl:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
FANFANFANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Oh Gypsy........................ It's Sunday.......................... :bigsmile:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi. So sorry. Don’t stick me with pins. Still sick, and it flared up again this weekend and we just could not manage. Will get pics as soonas I can but between moving and a new job and this thing I cannot shake ... just too much. No promises on when but I will get them soon.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
If I knew how to use the pins right I'd help you get over the crud! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results