shape
carat
color
clarity

My new 3+ carat stone search

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello everyone,

Thanks very much for helping with my last thread.

So here I am again, starting all over again.

I am focusing this time on an E-G stone, possibly an H, VS2-SI1, possibly an SI2 if it is very eye-clean. I'd like something like a 3.5 ish or slightly larger, providing it is not too expensive. To save money, I'd like to go with strong or medium blue fluorescence, provided it doesn't impact the stone negatively (I am hoping that it will give the stone that extra "crisp water look" - as posted somewhere in a recent thread), though a stone with no fluor or faint fluor would be considered also. My ideal would face up very white and no tint should be visible from the sides. Cut obviously is the most important. My budget is around $40-55k, preferring to spend less rather than more
1.gif

I hope to go with a reputable vendor that has an upgrade policy, though this is not absolutely necessary. I've been in touch with WF but currently they don't seem to have an ACA or ES that meets my requirements. GOG does not seem to have such a stone in stock either. I am expanding my search to others like Bluenile, ERD and JA.

Any stones or vendors that you've come across or might want to recommend would be most welcome.

In the meantime, I've found these and would appreciate your input and comments:

(1) http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&pid=LD00414951&filter_id=0#grading_report

(2) http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/loose_detail.php/session/3934407a1f722c55f56b3fdccab794b3/id/11556308/sz/150/premium/premium
(I think I'll have to call Mark to get more infor about this stone, eg. crown and pavilion angles, ideal scope image etc. Not sure if such info is readily available. Could someone who has bought from ERD enlighten me on this? Thx).

(3) http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=53&item=988844
(not sure if the faint fluor helps at all. I've read some posts on this forum that says it doesn't, which surprises me, as I have a G stone with faint fluor stated on the rept, and my appraiser says it is medium and he says this helps the stone to face up whiter
33.gif
)

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, must have H&A also.
1.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I''ve checked out the GIA rept on the GIA website and found out that stone no 2 above has an HCA score of 3.2, so forget that!

I''ve found one more stone:

(4)http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/loose_detail.php/session/3934407a1f722c55f56b3fdccab794b3/id/11532277/sz/150/premium/premium

(this one scores a 0.8 on the HCA, though it is a BIC - not sure if i''d love that - but my foremost concern is that it has a very shallow crown at 32 degrees, which I am concerned will affect its durability. Also, the GIA report says this has a "very good" cut only.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi lien, how exciting!

The BN looked good, except it's facing up much smaller than it should, unless it's a mistake. It's at 9.70, and a 3.5 should face up at about 10.0. It has a slightly thick girdle, which may be carrying some weight, but, that's quite a bit of diameter missing. Might want to ask them about that. Also, make sure strong flo is OK.

The JA diamond definitely has potential, but you need to get the grading report, and either a Sarin, or an IS image, both would be great.

The ERD diamond is a tad shallow, not horrific though. Again, you need info same as JA diamond.

As for faint fluorescence helping, I doubt it, I have a G with faint.

Since pickins are so slim, have you considered contacting a vendor and having them try and find you one? might help!

I'll keep my eye out.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The BN diamond looks as if it has possibilities, but I can't see where it says it is an actual, true H&A unless I missed it? It does look smaller than it should be with the measurements...

The ERD diamond we need the info as you know.

The JA looks a possibility too, see if he can get you the grading report with the crown and pavillion angles.

Just my opinion as we are getting into large diamonds here, I am wondering if an F or G might be your best bet, an H might possibly show a teensy tint from the side or be a creamier softer white face up ( still lovely though!) You mention you want that crisp icy white look, an F or G with some fluorescence might be the way to go. Some say fluoro doesn't make much - if any difference, but as the majority of us are consumers who don't have flourescent diamonds or see that many diamonds to compare, a professional opinion might be more accurate, or from someone who owns such a diamond. In my view with my diamond, my large L colour has faint and I do notice the effects at times and think it helps the diamond face up whiter. So for the look you mention, flourescence might be a real asset to get it. Also some here have med to strong blue fluoresence with their higher colours and love them.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2165/

I don't know what your budget is, this one is 58k according to the search by cut, lovely rock!
30.gif
I just read what your budget is - duh! and I wonder with a wire transfer if this one would be in budget, my maths is junk!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2007 7:04:18 AM
Author: Lorelei
The BN diamond looks as if it has possibilities, but I can''t see where it says it is an actual, true H&A unless I missed it? It does look smaller than it should be with the measurements...

The JA looks a possibility too, see if he can get you the grading report with the crown and pavillion angles.

Just my opinion as we are getting into large diamonds here, I am wondering if an F or G might be your best bet, an H might possibly show a teensy tint from the side or be a creamier softer white face up ( still lovely though!) You mention you want that crisp icy white look, an F or G with some fluorescence might be the way to go. Some say fluoro doesn''t make much - if any difference, but as the majority of us are consumers who don''t have flourescent diamonds or see that many diamonds to compare, a professional opinion might be more accurate, or from someone who owns such a diamond. In my view with my diamond, my large L colour has faint and I do notice the effects at times and think it helps the diamond face up whiter. So for the look you mention, flourescence might be a real asset to get it. Also some here have med to strong blue fluoresence with their higher colours and love them.
You''re right, I forgot about that. Hey, it''s early, only 1/2 a cup of coffee so far.
9.gif

As for the faint flo, it can''t hurt. I was just going by mine, I don''t really see anything, and what the experts have said on here about faint not really helping.

I also agree in that I personally wouldn''t go with H if you''re wanting an icy white diamond.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2007 7:12:55 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 2/4/2007 7:04:18 AM
The BN diamond looks as if it has possibilities, but I can't see where it says it is an actual, true H&A unless I missed it? It does look smaller than it should be with the measurements...

Just my opinion as we are getting into large diamonds here, I am wondering if an F or G might be your best bet, an H might possibly show a teensy tint from the side or be a creamier softer white face up ( still lovely though!) You mention you want that crisp icy white look, an F or G with some fluorescence might be the way to go. Some say fluoro doesn't make much - if any difference, but as the majority of us are consumers who don't have flourescent diamonds or see that many diamonds to compare, a professional opinion might be more accurate, or from someone who owns such a diamond. In my view with my diamond, my large L colour has faint and I do notice the effects at times and think it helps the diamond face up whiter. So for the look you mention, flourescence might be a real asset to get it. Also some here have med to strong blue fluoresence with their higher colours and love them.
You're right, I forgot about that. Hey, it's early, only 1/2 a cup of coffee so far.
9.gif

As for the faint flo, it can't hurt. I was just going by mine, I don't really see anything, and what the experts have said on here about faint not really helping.

I also agree in that I personally wouldn't go with H if you're wanting an icy white diamond.
El, you didn't use capital letters a la WhiteDiamonds - ICY WHITE DIAMOND!!!!!!!!!!!

Ellen you are right, pickins' are slim with this size and specs....
15.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2007 7:15:09 AM

You''re right, I forgot about that. Hey, it''s early, only 1/2 a cup of coffee so far.
9.gif

As for the faint flo, it can''t hurt. I was just going by mine, I don''t really see anything, and what the experts have said on here about faint not really helping.

I also agree in that I personally wouldn''t go with H if you''re wanting an icy white diamond.
El, you didn''t use capital letters a la WhiteDiamonds - ICY WHITE DIAMOND!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL!! Yer right, my bad.
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2007 7:28:31 AM

Date: 2/4/2007 7:15:09 AM

You're right, I forgot about that. Hey, it's early, only 1/2 a cup of coffee so far.
9.gif

As for the faint flo, it can't hurt. I was just going by mine, I don't really see anything, and what the experts have said on here about faint not really helping.

I also agree in that I personally wouldn't go with H if you're wanting an icy white diamond.
El, you didn't use capital letters a la WhiteDiamonds - ICY WHITE DIAMOND!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL!! Yer right, my bad.
9.gif
31.gif

Lien - that is a bit of PS folklore!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you both, Ellen and Lorelei, for your comments and suggestions. I will check out the details of the stones at BN, JA and ERD with them.

The stone at GOG looks lovely, though the price seems rather hefty, esp. for a G. I guess it must be the premium added for the beautiful cut (?). I wonder how much PS discount and wire transfer discount I'd get? Do GOG have an upgrade policy if say in a few years time I manage to save a bit more money and decided to get a better colour and / or bigger size (not likely to happen but worth knowing).

Btw, what's the PS folklore with ICY WHITE DIAMOND?
33.gif

(Lorelei, I looovee the video / picture of your cat. DH and I miss our little Kitty so much, she ran away when we moved house about 6 weeks ago and we've searched high and low for her, but ...she's nowhere to be seen
8.gif
.)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lien here you go!

ICY WHITE DIAMONDS!

I am so sorry about your kitty, she may turn up yet though.

That diamond from GOG is a stunner, if you pay by wire transfer you get the PS discount, it might bring the price more into your budget. But I am not sure if the price listed on the search by cut feature is the price after the discount, I would ask Jon, as the pricing isn't clear really and he says to call for price, I found that price on the search listing so it might pay to check. GOG do have upgrade policies, I think it depends on the diamond, but you could ask him if that would apply to this one.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LIenTN, I''d recommend that you contact Jonathan at Good Old Gold and ask him to check his suppliers for you. He doesn''t just happen to keep a lot of 3 ct. stones in-house due to the fact that they aren''t normally in high demand. But he works with several suppliers of H&A and ideal cut stones, and he might be able to find you one. Last fall when Kaleigh wanted a 2 ct. oval, she had Jon look for her and he came up with 4 beauties that he brought in for her to see on video. So I really would contact him and have him look rather than depend on what any of these vendors just happen to have in stock. The in-house route works for rounds and princesses of 2 cts. or less, but if you want a more rare stone, I think it is best to call and have someone search for it for you.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2007 9:27:27 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
LIenTN, I'd recommend that you contact Jonathan at Good Old Gold and ask him to check his suppliers for you. He doesn't just happen to keep a lot of 3 ct. stones in-house due to the fact that they aren't normally in high demand. But he works with several suppliers of H&A and ideal cut stones, and he might be able to find you one. Last fall when Kaleigh wanted a 2 ct. oval, she had Jon look for her and he came up with 4 beauties that he brought in for her to see on video. So I really would contact him and have him look rather than depend on what any of these vendors just happen to have in stock. The in-house route works for rounds and princesses of 2 cts. or less, but if you want a more rare stone, I think it is best to call and have someone search for it for you.
I would also ask Mark at ERD to do so. I remember when WF did so for Solange, they found her lovely 4 ct round, it took some time to find it for her, a few months if I remember rightly, but she got there in the end. With the sort of diamond you want, it might take some time, but find it you will! GOG and Mark are near and right in the diamond district and can get their hands on many diamonds. It seems these sizes are scarce to begin with and highly desirable, we see this a lot with the slim picks for 3 caraters etc, but hold on and keep looking!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excuse the hijack, but Lorelei, what an amazing avatar!!!

Because Jon and Mark are both near the diamond district, I probably would not ask them at the same time. I wouldn't want one to spend a lot of time on the project just to lose the sale. I'd call one and let him look for a couple of weeks to a month and then if he couldn't, I might try the other.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2007 9:38:33 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Excuse the hijack, but Lorelei, what an amazing avatar!!!
Heehee! Glad you like him! I thought the kitty lovers here would appreciate him with his kneading!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lorelei and DS, you both offer great advice! Thanks.

(Amazing about WD! my oh my!)

(and again, LOOOVEE your avatar and your cat and thanks for your kind words about ours).

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are welcome Lien! Glad you enjoyed reading about WD too!
32.gif

That is a point about having one or the other look out of GOG and Mark at ERD, my thinking is that as these diamonds are so scarce, it possibly might be a case now of having more than one vendor looking out as many do, but of course it depends on what the vendors and client feel most comfortable with.

lucky sparkle

Rough_Rock
hi lien!

i''ve been out of the loop for a while since i purchased my stone, but i came back this morning and saw this thread and just wanted to say that i so feel your pain! it was *not* easy finding a stone with the exact specs that i wanted (i had to do it in a two step process over several months), and it definitely consumed a huge amount of time, it was practically like a second job for me!

if i had to do it over again, like a lot of people have already suggested, i would pick one vendor and give them exact specs of the stone i was looking for and have them help me with the search. (i spent a lot of time on the internet looking for the perfect stone to show up, and that approach required tons of time and patience...) i think any reputable vendor here on ps would work, but since i''ve had personal experience with mark at ERD, i can vouch for the fact that he really does have access to almost every stone that passes through the diamond district, and that''s a huge plus. when i made a trip to ERD, he was able to show me 3+ ct stones that weren''t on any list i''d seen before. his inventory is huge! in order to get the exact numbers on a stone (namely CA & PA), ERD just calls in the cert from whoever has possession of it at the time.

i actually have seen stone #3 that you''ve listed above (the 3.14 H VS2)--it was the very stone that i initially had my heart set on before i saw it IRL. it has really great numbers and sparkles like crazy, but i had to pass on it because of the slight tint from the side. it''s definitely a matter of personal preference, but i figured that if i''d be spending this much money on a stone (and it was taking me this much effort to find it), then it would have to be "perfect" for me in all regards. i ended up spending a bit more for my 3.26 G SI1 than i had originally budgeted, but i think it was worth it for me in the end. i couldn''t stand the thought of purchasing one stone, only to start looking for the next one cause i wasn''t 100% satisfied. if you''re anything like me, please don''t compromise what you want, cause although it''ll take a good amount of patience and some help from a dedicated vendor, i''m sure that in a matter of time, you too will find the stone of your dreams!
21.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In looking a little more, I do have to say that you may need to focus only on G color if your price range is that firm. I think you are likely to see SI2 inclusions at least from the side on a stone that large, so if you stick with G SI1, I think that may be the only combination that will keep you under your $55,000 mark in a 3.5 ct. hearts and arrows cut stone, judging from the $58,000 price tag on that G VS2 3 carat stone at Good Old Gold. (Just speaking personally, I''d probaby choose a 3 ct. G VS2 over a 3.5 ct. G SI1, but that''s just me!)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2007 4:08:57 AM
Author:lienTN
Hello everyone,

Thanks very much for helping with my last thread.

So here I am again, starting all over again.

I am focusing this time on an E-G stone, possibly an H, VS2-SI1, possibly an SI2 if it is very eye-clean. I''d like something like a 3.5 ish or slightly larger, providing it is not too expensive. To save money, I''d like to go with strong or medium blue fluorescence, provided it doesn''t impact the stone negatively (I am hoping that it will give the stone that extra ''crisp water look'' - as posted somewhere in a recent thread), though a stone with no fluor or faint fluor would be considered also. My ideal would face up very white and no tint should be visible from the sides. Cut obviously is the most important. My budget is around $40-55k, preferring to spend less rather than more
1.gif

I hope to go with a reputable vendor that has an upgrade policy, though this is not absolutely necessary. I''ve been in touch with WF but currently they don''t seem to have an ACA or ES that meets my requirements. GOG does not seem to have such a stone in stock either. I am expanding my search to others like Bluenile, ERD and JA.

Any stones or vendors that you''ve come across or might want to recommend would be most welcome.

In the meantime, I''ve found these and would appreciate your input and comments:

(1) http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&pid=LD00414951&filter_id=0#grading_report

(2) http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/loose_detail.php/session/3934407a1f722c55f56b3fdccab794b3/id/11556308/sz/150/premium/premium
(I think I''ll have to call Mark to get more infor about this stone, eg. crown and pavilion angles, ideal scope image etc. Not sure if such info is readily available. Could someone who has bought from ERD enlighten me on this? Thx).

(3) http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=53&item=988844
(not sure if the faint fluor helps at all. I''ve read some posts on this forum that says it doesn''t, which surprises me, as I have a G stone with faint fluor stated on the rept, and my appraiser says it is medium and he says this helps the stone to face up whiter
33.gif
)
I don''t think you''re going to save money on a large stone with strong fluor LOL However, I''d be willing to pay a premium for it so go for it!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems some diamonds with flourescence are discounted on occasion, it probably isn't set in stone so to speak, but might be worth bearing in mind
1.gif
Also this seems to be more the case with higher colours.
http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fluor.asp

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
3.51 F/SI1 H&A - $42k

EGL cert so who knows, you''d probably want to see it, but seems like a good price. Abazias has a few other stones meeting your criteria and price range (9 total in their branded H&A ''the couples diamond'' line, from 3.00 to 4 ct.), including a 5.14 H/SI2 H&A for $45k, which doesn''t make a lot of sense
33.gif
(also EGL cert).

*Note: I noticed Abazias also has this cool 15.13 ct. D/IF H&A for a cool $1.47 million.
31.gif
23.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I am travelling but thought I would sneak in a hello and thank you for your replies.

Lorelei and DS, thank you. I will call Jon after I come back. Hopefully it will be a lower price than that. Btw, Kaleigh's rock rocks!
2.gif

Lorelei and Lucky Sparkle, I am tempted to contact Mark too (actually I have before but it was a general question), but maybe it best that I contact Jon first and see how it goes. I saw Solange's rock and I must say it is beautiful. Same for yours, Lucky Sparkle. I gasped when I saw it on SMTR.
30.gif
. Lucky Sparkle, I know what you mean about the *pain*. Thanks for your sympathy and encouragement. I already went through that with my first 3 carater. Thought I'd found the one, alas it is not to be!
8.gif
. Then I thought I could go for an I at WF because their ACA are just simply gorgeous, but I think the tint would bother me in an e-ring (just my own personal preference - though I do have smaller stones about H/I colour). The search goes on!
8.gif

DS, you're prob right, maybe I should stick to G stones, but I'd really like an E or an F if possible. I'd prefer a better clarity but I am a bit of a size "whore"
3.gif
, I am afraid, so maybe an E or F SI1 would be ok for me. But, i am definitely going to keep an open mind and not be too fussy over the parameters.

Cehra and Lorelei, I really hope I'd get a stone with nice SB fluor and if there is a discount, even better
36.gif

ILikeBond, those deals seem really good, as are many of their stones. I wonder if anyone on this site has bought from them? I'd like to hear some feeback. Btw, my DH and I LOOOVEEE the new Bond movie. Our favourite moment was when he said "Do I look like I give a d..n!" LOL. I must say the ladies I know and I myself just love Daniel Craig! Yum!
3.gif
(not as much as I love DH though
1.gif
).

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you popped in!!

Perhaps contact Jon about that smasher on his website, if no go then give him a fair crack at seeing what he can find, then if nothing try Mark as he is right in the heart of the diamond district and see what he can come up with. I think this is the best way of finding your rock, that size is scarce and in high demand to begin with, I think those who have their foot in the door already so to speak, have an advantage when one pops up and are in a good position to POUNCE!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 8:52:10 AM
Author: lienTN
ILikeBond, those deals seem really good, as are many of their stones. I wonder if anyone on this site has bought from them? I''d like to hear some feeback. Btw, my DH and I LOOOVEEE the new Bond movie. Our favourite moment was when he said ''Do I look like I give a d..n!'' LOL. I must say the ladies I know and I myself just love Daniel Craig! Yum!
3.gif
(not as much as I love DH though
1.gif
).
That diamond ILikeBond found doesn''t really fall within your search parimeters. I did do a search on there for what you were looking for, they had 1, a G, but only a 3.06. And I vaguely recall a poster or two buying from them, but no details.

I echo having Jon look for you, besides that one he has.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your nice comment about my ring, Lien. Mine is not H&A. I was told it is very difficult to find H&A stones in these larger sizes, although they do exist, because they have to waste a lot of rough to get that precision. I have never seen a H&A in person and when I went looking in the Diamond District, Tiffany's, Harry Winston, etc. either they did not know what I was talking about or pretended not to and they did not carry them.
Do you have your heart set on a H&A? You would have a much larger selection if you just look for an Ideal cut. Then you could probably get the size and color you want. My stone is a perfectly eye clean I SI 2 that Lesley at Whiteflash found for me It took a while but it was worth the wait.
As to seeing color from the side, because the stone is large, I had it set very deep and you really can't see much from the side.
I hope you find exactly what you are looking for. Best of luck

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i was just going to reference solange''s story and concur to ask WF or GOG or both what they might be getting in in the future OR if WF can put out more feelers for a non ES or ACA stone but a ''close'' to H&A kinda cut etc. the large stones are super hard to find, i think solange waited a fair number of months for her 4c...but they do come along. you might have to be patient. it''s not like the countless 1c stones out there or a more popular size range. anything above 2c seems so slim pickins and has been for a while now (which is why i don''t think that prices will go down for a while on larger stones...because the inventory is just so not there).

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Lien -- this is exciting stuff!
1.gif
Not much time to post right now but just wanted to say quickly that if you don't want to see any tint from the side, you'll have to go G or higher. I have a 3.5 carat H color stone and I can definitely see warmth from the side, though it's white from the top. Also, if you want H&A in that stone size AND in a color with no tint from the side, you may have to sit tight for awhile and give your vendors time to search. Like others have said, they are rare (and ultra expensive...you will be looking at the upper end of your budget for sure, if not higher). I suspect that my stone is NOT a H&A because it was never billed as such, however, you can see beautiful hearts AND arrows through the viewer. So don't exclude non-H&As from your search altogether...there may be many "almost-H&As" out there that are truly just as gorgeous as the official stones that are marketed as "H&A." Plus, they'll be more affordable.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results