shape
carat
color
clarity

My mother wants her diamonds reset

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
My 88 y/o widowed mother has decided it's time to stop wearing her wedding rings and reset the diamonds into a RHR. This is a set she bought in the '60s when her original rings wore out from rubbing together since 1945. First she sent me out to get them rhodium plated but then called to say that she wants a new ring using these stones. The center stone is about 4mm, and the other five are about 3mm. What in the world can we do with them? Any ideas? I could always add a birthstone or two if needed to round out a setting, but so far I'm at a loss.

ringscropped.jpg

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Gosh, I like it as is for a RHR. It is pretty! Those are 2 rings right? If she really does want a change, why not take the 5 stones that are all 3mm and make a basic five stone ring? Then use the 4mm stone for a pendant?? Hopefully some others who are great with settings will come along and give you some more ideas!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they are lovely! I'd keep them exactly as they are! I would have no problem continuing to wear my wedding set (if I liked it) if I outlived my husband. If they were ugly, I'd go for a reset. But I think they are perfect for the stones in them! She's had them so long, too.

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
What about something like this?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/84864774203525058/

I usually see 5 or 7 stones, not six. Would she take any out or does she want them all to stay together?

I also love cluster rings but I wonder if these stones are too big for that?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iwantsparkle|1467833911|4052177 said:
What about something like this?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/84864774203525058/

I usually see 5 or 7 stones, not six. Would she take any out or does she want them all to stay together?

I also love cluster rings but I wonder if these stones are too big for that?

I think a cluster ring would be fab! She'd probably need 3 more stones of the 3mm size, but it would be an awesome cluster! I wear one that's about 16.5mm across, and if this one was 10mm, I think it would be a terrific right hand ring!

ETA Maybe her kids could chip in for the other three stones? That would make it extra special!

Adding a couple of photos examples.

https://www.kalmarantiques.com.au/product/antique-diamond-cluster-ring-9-diamonds/

http://bios.weddingbee.com/topic/my-antique-daisy-cluster-ring/

And here's one that has popped up on PS and Pinterest many times and is an example of a cluster without a bezel set:

https://pressedinbrooklyn.wordpress.com/2011/09/15/lovely-antique-engagement-rings-at-erie-basin-in-brooklyn/

Hope this helps!

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the great ideas. Leaving them as they are isn't an option. She doesn't want to wear them anymore because they look like wedding rings, and they only fit her left hand. She's 88. If she wants a new ring, I'll see that she gets a new ring! ha!

The cluster ring is probably the best way to give her some nice bling. She lives at an independent living facility, so she dresses up for dinner every day and likes to show off her jewelry. I replaced the diamond in her mother's 20s vintage wedding ring last year, and I'm sure all of you can steer me to someone who can provide two or three more stones to fill out the cluster.

I'll let you know what we decide.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
She is really getting into this! She says she doesn't want a round ring. Her idea is to put the larger diamond in the center and put two diamonds above it, two below it, and one on each side. I guess that sounds like a round ring, but she's thinking maybe it would be a little more rectangular than round. Maybe I could put baguettes at the corners.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just lack the time to go searching but found this on etsy via Google.

etsy.jpg

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
AdaBeta27|1467917665|4052687 said:
I just lack the time to go searching but found this on etsy via Google.

Oh that one is great. It even has the right number of stones and approximate stone sizes. I'll send her the picture to see what she thinks.

I sent her a link to the Art Deco section at Brilliant Earth, and she said this one was closest to what she was thinking:

http://www.brilliantearth.com/The-Mika-Ring-White-Gold-BEF99254/

mika_top.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about this design by David Klass? These stones were slightly larger, but they could design something similar.

dksapphire5.jpg

_37747.jpg

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
She likes something like this. I'll see what I can do.

what_she_likes.jpg

I guess that's not surprising based on her age.

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
I think your mother has wonderful taste and I also think that last ring would look very elegant on on a mature right hand.
Hope she gets exactly what she wants. :angel:

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
I sent David Klass an email asking about rings in this style, and he sent me this picture of some things he had available to sell.

dk_rings_all.jpg

Mother chose the top one on the little finger, so David resized it to a 6.75, and it was delivered in two days. Great service! It cost more than she was willing to pay (she is quite frugal), so I paid for it and told her that it's my ring but she can wear it if she wills it to me. My brother assured me that he will not fight me over it. ;-)

dk_ring_1.jpg

She loves it! His description:
The ring is solid platinum weighing 4.4 grams, the three larger diamonds are approximately 0.60 cts G-H to SI2 clarity old mine cut diamonds, there are approximately 0.30 cts of French cut sapphires and 0.20 cts of smaller old mine cuts G color, VS-SI. It is 24.86 mm From North to South.

dk_ring_2.jpg

And she decided to separate her wedding set and just wear them as individual rings. I had them rhodium dipped, so now they look like new.

shaggy1

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous ring. I hope your mother loves it for many years.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful choce!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perfectly gorgeous solution! I love this story, you have a wonderful relationship with your mum.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results