shape
carat
color
clarity

My mom''s TDF new ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
There will be a "few" photos in this thread, I promise ;-)

Right before Christmas of 2007, I dragged my mom to a Richard Homer gemstone round table held at a jeweler''s store in my hometown. My mom absolutely fell in love with a gorgeous baby pink tourmaline, similar to the one below (and I''m super sorry but I don''t have the stats...I want to say her stone comes in right around 6 cts, but I''m not sure - it''s a big girl, for sure!).

Mamamorton1.jpg

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Sooo, next step was finding someone to set it. Of course, like any PSer, I started sending her crazy links to work that had been done here, but she really wanted to work with a B&M store. I''d moved away at this point, but I really love my local jeweler''s work (James Revell), so while she was visiting, she brought her stone with her.

We ran around like kids in a candy store looking at different settings and possibilities - Sarah, who we worked with at Revell''s was so, so patient with us. While Mom had toyed with the thought of doing a pendant or bracelet (the stone is kinda big...) she really wanted a ring so she could look at it whenever she wants (a popular PS sentiment!). Her wedding set is yg, but she loved the rose gold rings in the store, and decided to bezel the stone in wg.

Here''s a few of the first CADs:

Mamamorton10.jpg

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Mom wasn''t really a fan of these - she wanted a much more delicate look. But you can definitely see the elements that she''d asked for - two tone, fluid lines, and she wanted an interesting, but simple gallery.

Mamamorton11.jpg

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
This is the last CAD I have...I really wish I still had the second set saved to the computer, but I can''t find them (must be on my other computer?), anyway, they were wonderful in addressing all the changes she wanted made (which you''ll see in the next set of photos).

Mamamorton12.jpg

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
JH Revell in Bettendorf IA?

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
On to the wax - the biggest concern mom had was how high it would sit - and it does sit high.

Mamamorton2.jpg

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
You can see how different the design is between the first render and the wax...before the second CAD, I took in a bunch of PS photos, esp. Lauren the Partier''s and Neatfreak''s beautiful bezel rings for examples of the more delicate look that Mom was going for (yay, yay for PS!!!).

Mamamorton3.jpg

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Here''s one with the stone in the ring

Mamamorton4.jpg

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Another

Mamamorton5.jpg

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Yupp, Sizzle! James and his staff are absolutely fantastic.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the last of the wax photos -

Mamamorton6.jpg

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Annnnnnd, finally the finished product! I just had a few minutes to drop in today, but I snapped some quick pictures to send to Mom before she comes in a week or so to pick it up.

Mamamorton7.jpg

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
On my chubby fingers (I think it will look much prettier on her hand) -

Mamamorton8.jpg

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Last shot - thanks for looking and reading!

Mamamorton9.jpg

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
....hmmm....maybe just one more, a little closer up...

Mamamorton13.jpg

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
WOW that is beautiful it is utterly messmerizing with all those pretty flower like facets
30.gif
, congrats to your mum.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
What an awesome stone!!!!! Holy cow! Lucky mom!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh it''s sooooo pretty, yay for your Mom!!!!
30.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
WOW!!
30.gif
30.gif

I love it.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Deelight, Joflier, Kaleigh, and Mochi, thanks for your compliments!!

I hate to say this, because it''s sortof trite around here....but the stone is actually much prettier IRL!!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Wow, it''s gorgeous!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Elmorton, awww, I bet your mom is over the moon; what a gorgeous ring
30.gif
30.gif
Fabulous!!!
36.gif
love the stone!

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Lovely!!!! Absolutely lovely!
36.gif

Beaglemom

Shiny_Rock
Now how cool is that. I love it! I bet your mom will too.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful, beautiful stone and a great ring! I bet your mom will be thrilled when she gets it!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
Drats, I knew I should have gone to the Richard Homer roundtable! If only I wasn''t out of town then.

Your mother''s new ring looks faaaahbulous! Can''t wait to see her hand shots. What a yummy baby pink. Mmmmm...

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a stunning, stunning ring! I love it!

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
That is one stunning ring. Congratulations to your mother!!! And I think it also looks quite lovely on your hand.

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
That''s such a cool ring! The setting really shows off the shape of the stone!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Thank you jstar, Skippy, princess, beaglemom, flygirl, onvacation, and Lauren -

I can''t wait for my mom to see it - I think she''ll be really, really in love. This is the first piece of jewelry that she''s ever had made, and I only hope she had as much fun with the process as I did.

Onvacation - think of it as a blessing in disguise...I think it''s impossible to leave a round table empty handed! It was an amazing experience. Near the end, Richard passes around stones that he considers "better" than the ones he has in the Smithsonian. He and his wife are both truly lovely people, and you can tell that Richard loves to share his work, and even more, loves seeing all of our faces as we open up each of the little tissue packets containing his stones. Definitely go next time you have a chance!

Lauren, I''m glad you do!! I sent my mom practically every photo of your ring that I could find once she told me she wanted a bezel. As you know, I really admire your taste and I''m so glad you shared your ring here on PS - it made it a lot easier for me to communicate with my mom/communicate with the jeweler when my mom had photos in front of her that were similar to what she was describing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results