shape
carat
color
clarity

My latest possibility...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the H VS2 1.44 ct. H&A that I was thinking about. However, I am now thinking I may look for a G VS in the 1.3-1.4 range. I''m also a little uncertain about the Tiffany setting. It is beautiful, but that crown type head does not allow you to view the whole diamond from the side, so I may reconsider that on my next experiment.

Tacori sized my picture for me and asked about the bracelet. (I had my husband snap a quick picture when we returned from a wedding this afternoon). The bracelet is 4.1 cts., F-G, VS, and it was my 25th anniversary present. It is one item that I really love and do not regret anything about...but it was before I knew about ideal cut, H&A, etc. It is really sparkly, though, so I am not planning to replace it. (I plan to replace my diamond studs, though, if I ever get the ring issue settled!)

DSHVS2 (3).jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its beautiful but so obvious that it is not "the one." I still think it part of it is due to the setting.....Do you have a clear picture of your "dream ring"?

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2006 9:01:25 PM
Author:diamondseeker2006
Here is the H VS2 1.44 ct. H&A that I was thinking about. However, I am now thinking I may look for a G VS in the 1.3-1.4 range. I''m also a little uncertain about the Tiffany setting. It is beautiful, but that crown type head does not allow you to view the whole diamond from the side, so I may reconsider that on my next experiment.

Tacori sized my picture for me and asked about the bracelet. (I had my husband snap a quick picture when we returned from a wedding this afternoon). The bracelet is 4.1 cts., F-G, VS, and it was my 25th anniversary present. It is one item that I really love and do not regret anything about...but it was before I knew about ideal cut, H&A, etc. It is really sparkly, though, so I am not planning to replace it. (I plan to replace my diamond studs, though, if I ever get the ring issue settled!)
can you fill me in on your story?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/13/2006 9:08:51 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Its beautiful but so obvious that it is not ''the one.'' I still think it part of it is due to the setting.....Do you have a clear picture of your ''dream ring''?
Apparently not!!!! Lol!

This setting is very fine quality, but I can''t see the whole stone from the side, and I don''t like that. I really like two different things..I do like a plain, smooth Tiffany setting with a pretty diamond band, and you know I like antique settings as well...as in Tacori and Beaudry, etc.. But I don''t want too much bling. I think it will help me tons to be able to go look with you and Princess V next weekend. When I went to Charlotte before, I was by myself, and I didn''t have any neutral opinions. DD has a million settings, so if we go there I can look as well as at Tiffany''s. And I''ll have the nerve to try on some this time!!! I need to be SURE of the size and color before I order anything else!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/13/2006 9:17:53 PM
Author: windowshopper

can you fill me in on your story?
Oh, I am just terribly indecisive! I know my past history is desiring high quality and being sorry later when I settle for less. I compromised on color and clarity on this one because it was otherwise a beautiful hearts and arrows stone. I also have wavered on the size. I live in an area with few large diamonds. However, I went to a wedding today, and someone about my age was there with diamond studs on that had to be at least 2 cts. each. I think her mother has died and they were likely hers as she had on her mothers platinum diamond rings as well. So mine will not be big compared to hers at least! But most of the women there were wearing rings of a carat or less. But let me add that I am not deciding on size based on what others think. I just want to be happy with the size myself.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamondseeker, maybe it's not the diamond, but the setting that you should reconsider. The stone is lovely (but of course only you can decide if it's THE ONE) and I love the simple elegance of the current setting, however if you put the stone in a different setting it would give it an entirely different look. Just trying to throw some ideas out there...

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not quite sure I''m understanding the setting dilemma. Do you have any pictures that show a side view of the ring?

I think the size of the diamond looks very nice on your hand - particularly with that gorgeous bracelet! But we all know that you have to be the final judge because if you''re not happy or comfortable with it then nothing else matters.

I will be anxious to hear of your upcoming shopping trip or what other stones you may get in to look at. It''s fun and nerve wracking all at the same time, huh?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the size looks fabulous on you. I totally understand where you are coming from and I haven''t even gotten to stones yet in my journey, still trying to figure out the setting thing. Anyway, i had a solitaire for 5 years and just got bored with it. That''s how I found Pricescope. I was looking for a new setting. I think going with the PS girls and trying on a bunch of different things is terrific and it really helps to see things in person.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MGR: We were going in different directions today, so my husband didn''t have time to take many pictures. And we don''t think there is a macro lens on the camera. The setting has 6 prongs, and when they swoop down, they do not go as low as the real Tiffany, so you can''t see down to the culet of the diamond. I like the setting, but I like the real Tiffany better. I wish they sold their settings!

I think the size has grown on me in the last 24 hours, but it will be my upper limit at around 7.25 mm. I am imagining that I may find around 7.1 mm to be best for me. My finger is 5 1/2, so smaller diamonds go farther on relatively smaller fingers!

Dee Jay and mrss: Yes, I think I need to see some other settings just to be sure of what I want. It is a hard decision and I believe trying some on will help me decide.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Diamondseeker, did you see arcam''s new quest setting? it''s a solitaire with a gorgeous twist. you can find details here

RingOne.JPG

RingArcam.JPG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I didn''t see that one yet. It is very pretty..sort of an adapted x-prong.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2006 9:22:25 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Date: 5/13/2006 9:08:51 PM

Author: Tacori E-ring

Its beautiful but so obvious that it is not ''the one.'' I still think it part of it is due to the setting.....Do you have a clear picture of your ''dream ring''?

Apparently not!!!! Lol!

This setting is very fine quality, but I can''t see the whole stone from the side, and I don''t like that. I really like two different things..I do like a plain, smooth Tiffany setting with a pretty diamond band, and you know I like antique settings as well...as in Tacori and Beaudry, etc.. But I don''t want too much bling. I think it will help me tons to be able to go look with you and Princess V next weekend. When I went to Charlotte before, I was by myself, and I didn''t have any neutral opinions. DD has a million settings, so if we go there I can look as well as at Tiffany''s. And I''ll have the nerve to try on some this time!!! I need to be SURE of the size and color before I order anything else!

Well you can try on my ring!
2.gif
Between DD and a few other upscale mall stores at SouthPark PV and I will help you with this search! Trust us. I am still very in love with my ring (if that gives you confidence).

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
DS I have to say I really love the classic solitaire setting with a nice blingy eternity band as the w-ring...

We tried on the WF W Prong when we were in TX last week and I thought it looked beautiful with a larger stone and I liked the band width too.

You asked about my head...It''s a stuller solstice 6 prong and then WF made modifications to it. They got a smaller head to begin with, basically spread the prongs open and did some modifications to make the prongs less bulky and more smooth and sculpty and then put the diamond in and brought the prongs in and clasped them on the diamond. I wanted a very ''squatty'' (JQ!) and buttercuppy look for the head. Like LLL''s head...but just turned a little differently.

Also check out Jadie Jewels'' Quest ''Tiffany Style'' solitaire. Similar idea. But I have to say one of my all time favorites for a solitaire with a little twist and a 6 prong head is Precious Jewels Vatche Royal Crown, be still my heart. I *so* want that setting!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
so divine, PJ's 3c in a Vatche Royal Crown, and her ACA wedding band. YUM. this set makes me want to run to the nearest jewelry store and BUY!

precious jewels 3c J and ACA band.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tacori, I can''t wait until next Saturday! I think it will really help me make some decisions.

Mara, I do love that look as well. It is classic and most like what I have been wearing all these years. I think the WF Tiffany repro is much like the Dimend Scaasi in that the prong scoops do not go down as low and show the whole diamond. I''m almost thinking I could get a plain old Stuller Solstice ring and have them trim and polish the prongs to make them more thin and pretty and come out way ahead on the price. The setting I am currently looking at was expensive..$1200., so I think I need to adore it to pay that much for a solitaire setting.

I posted a Mark Morrell Tacori-looking ring on gypsy''s ideal ring thread and I would love to have that. But I keep coming back to the plain solitaire with diamond band. MY goal is to try to buy the diamond and setting from the same place to make life easier.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgot to say that I think the Vatche Royal Crown setting is beautiful and could be a possibility, too.

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
well, jadiesjewels has mentioned she will come to the GTG next Sunday for lunch & shopping at the Int''l Gem Show at Dulles Expo Center.
I''ll be taking my camera and snapping as many shots as she will put up with!

I am also hunting down a more delicate solitaire myself. (I plan to convert my existing bulkier solitaire into a RHR).

The whole Stuller Solstice adaptation is where I''m headed, too. (Bear in mind that I gotta go with yellow gold, because my wedding band is a 3mm yellow gold die-struck Jabel, it''s engraved, and replacing it with anything else is NOT AN OPTION. stacking more rings is OK, but hubby drew the line on the weddign band
41.gif
)

Here are the pics I was rounding up this morning:

stuller_solstice_faceup.jpg

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
another view... you can see these prongs need a little work, which Mara has so thoughtfully figured out for us already!!

solstice_sidelight.jpg

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
one more view

solstice_mothers_day.jpg

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
DS2006 I think your new diamond looks fantastic in that picture, but of course it is hard to get an idea what the setting looks like. I think it will be great for you to take it out with the girls next weekend and check out other diamonds and settings. By the way I LOVE your tennis bracelet - just stunning!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
db, thanks for posting those pics. I have also seen the solstice head sitting on a little base which raises it up a little, which ought to allow the w-band to sit closer. I don''t care about 100% flush. Patty had a pretty solstice setting, but I haven''t
looked through all the threads to see if there was a side view of hers. Regarding the wedding band, mine unfortunately is custom made and engraved inside and we debated about rhodium plating it so I could keep wearing it. But I decided to leave it as it is and just have two wedding sets, since I can''t (and wouldn''t) trade in my original diamond anyway. I''ll wear the yg set sometimes.

Sundial, thanks! I know this ring will make someone really happy. The diamond is beautiful and the setting has a head made for the diamond size. (I am going to try to get a picture of the side today, if possible.) So it is great in every way except that I haven''t nailed down the exact specifications that will make me happy. My only worry is what if the perfect ring doesn''t exist outside my imagination...but I know it does if we are willing to pay for it...Lol! But I''d rather pay more and get exactly what I want. Yesterday I asked my husband if he thought I should just keep it since it is really pretty, and he said "You should get what you really want!" Thanks for the compliment on the tennis bracelet. I am so happy to have a few pieces that were good decisions on the first try! lol!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Patty also has the 6 prong stuller solstice but I don''t know if hers is modified or what...anyhow the modifications made to my head really showed me what is possible with a stock head like that and it IS much more affordable, I didn''t want to go a custom route on a ring like mine and have no idea how it would really come out and pay for custom work. This middle of the road adaptation was PERFECT.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the other kind of classic setting I liked, but I just wasn''t sure about how diamond w-bands look with it.

DS1AA4baguettes.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/14/2006 12:54:00 PM
Author: Mara
Patty also has the 6 prong stuller solstice but I don''t know if hers is modified or what...anyhow the modifications made to my head really showed me what is possible with a stock head like that and it IS much more affordable, I didn''t want to go a custom route on a ring like mine and have no idea how it would really come out and pay for custom work. This middle of the road adaptation was PERFECT.
Yes, I really have no desire to go custom, unless it was to tell Mark Morrell to make me a copy of something he has already made! However, I really want most of the money to go into the diamond and the w-band, not the setting.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is an update to my dilemma. I have been looking at other equivalent hearts and arrows stones in the 1.3-1.4 range and trying to get up to G color and/or VS1 clarity.

Dimend Scaasi has two E VS2''s in that range and that''s it. Boy do you pay to get an E! And I really don''t require an E, so it seems silly to pay for that, and the clarity is the same as the H VS2 I am looking at now.

Another well known vendor has 3 or 4 possibilities ranging from just under $9000 up to mid $12,000:

H VS1 1.27 (7.04 mm diameter) HCA: 1.0
G VS1 1.26 (7.0 mm) HCA: 1.5
G VVS2 1.32 (7.08 mm) HCA: .6
G VVS2 1.31 (7.13 mm) HCA: 1.2

BUT, I emailed today about those stones and it was mentioned that this vendor will be making an across the board price increase in the next few days!!! So if I wait for my shopping trip this weekend to make a decision, then I might have to pay more for the above diamonds, which are already high! So now I don''t know WHAT to do!!!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Well that G VS1 is just the combination you are looking for and the HCA score is good, but are you okay with going down in size a little? Does this vendor have a setting you like? Weren't you hoping to get the stone and the setting from the same place to make things easier?

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
dimend scaasi has some really nice settings:

dimendscaasi_tiffany_solitaire.jpg

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
I just happened to be over at dimend scaasi, lookin around. Here''s another setting I like:

dimendscaasi_solitaire.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/16/2006 7:57:16 PM
Author: Sundial
Well that G VS1 is just the combination you are looking for and the HCA score is good, but are you okay with going down in size a little? Does this vendor have a setting you like? Weren''t you hoping to get the stone and the setting from the same place to make things easier?
That''s the big problem with this stone!!! I really wanted a little larger for a solitaire...like 1.33 or more!! Of course, I was planning to go look at diamonds this weekend to get a more definite idea of what these sizes are really like, but now I''m in a time crunch. I posted some stone specs on Rocky Talk. It is WF that is going to have a price increase. I just hated to say that or all my stones may disappear! The problem is, they will get new stones in in June probably, but those will be higher as well. I feel like they are plenty high now!

Yes, I plan to get the stone and setting at the same place.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/16/2006 9:03:25 PM
Author: dbgaap
dimend scaasi has some really nice settings:
That first dimend scaasi setting you posted is the one I have, although it doesn't look exactly like that. It is nice, but I might like more of the pavilion to show. I like that second basket setting as well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results