shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW My holy grail: A “devil’s work” jadeite necklace

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
My yearning for a carved jadeite necklace started years ago with pictures of interlocked jadeite loops that immediately fascinated me.

Example of short loops:
E570FCCC-BB95-4EA2-B3EB-E45779D4264F.png

B3A93AC4-8C94-45D2-8CDB-CF51994EDEA5.jpeg

As I looked them up, I realized that apart from earrings, there are also bracelets and even entire jadeite necklaces carved out of one piece of stone. The skill and patience that it must require! Somehow the ones I saw at that time were super pricey so I put them out of mind.

When I read up on them online, this type of carving technique is often referred to as “Devil’s work”, as it was said that human hands could not do such amazing work.

Here are some links to Chinese (couldn’t find any English versions) articles of how such carvings are made (including in-progress slabs and also amazing finished necklaces). Pls open using Chrome browse for auto translation if you are keen to have a look:

91A1AB9A-7198-4BC3-83CC-C12FEDD7D6F1.jpeg 8C704172-0E40-4AB0-AE7B-B419D3BEFEAF.jpeg

Then one day it happened. I was at a local jewelry and gem show and saw an interlinked bracelet at one of the booths. I asked about the price and it was surprisingly affordable and so I happily brought the bracelet home. The carving was rough in some links but hey it is still all from one single piece of jade right?
Jadeite bracelet:
DE68B8A7-532C-4E89-8115-F6B702341507.jpeg 474BE7B9-7B9D-4475-8FE3-5DD085967EBA.jpeg

But I never stopped wanting a whole carved necklace and continued to keep an eye out. Even asked about two necklaces that I saw online over the years but the prices were scarily out of reach. And then it finally happened... and I recently saw this on IG:

IG pic:
84745990-FE54-422C-A01C-329321799212.jpeg

Once again I cautiously reached out to ask about the price but this time it was relatively affordable and after mulling it over (just a very very short while to be honest) I decided that I had to have it even if I had no idea what the carving was. I mean it’s literally been years since I started wanting a carved necklace right???

And then a short wait for it to be shipped and finally I have it!

And presenting my carved chili pepper jadeite necklace (I only asked what the carving is after I received it in the mail):

C1C6C620-FD7B-4AE4-90B0-3AF929466281.jpeg 06B22F49-6FF0-4FF0-8CAA-F0CF0F3C2B0D.jpeg
CD30C359-989F-4DCD-9F08-2D902AF676CE.jpeg 0B1C455B-F944-41AA-9700-D62EBAD595DA.jpeg 6A794D1B-005B-4E41-B5D7-81C2EB9A9A0E.jpeg

While this is not the most expensive piece or the prettiest jewelry item that I own, to me it is a holy grail piece as it’s literally taken me years to find one.

Thanks for reading!

478A16F1-1A9E-4410-8F5B-A154A0C32611.jpeg

luckyblackcat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think it's gorgeous! Something that feels traditional and wholly unique at once, and what a gorgeous color. I've been craving my first proper jade piece, I'm thinking a bangle, and would love to pick your brain if you don't mind!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My yearning for a carved jadeite necklace started years ago with pictures of interlocked jadeite loops that immediately fascinated me.

Example of short loops:
E570FCCC-BB95-4EA2-B3EB-E45779D4264F.png

B3A93AC4-8C94-45D2-8CDB-CF51994EDEA5.jpeg

As I looked them up, I realized that apart from earrings, there are also bracelets and even entire jadeite necklaces carved out of one piece of stone. The skill and patience that it must require! Somehow the ones I saw at that time were super pricey so I put them out of mind.

When I read up on them online, this type of carving technique is often referred to as “Devil’s work”, as it was said that human hands could not do such amazing work.

Here are some links to Chinese (couldn’t find any English versions) articles of how such carvings are made (including in-progress slabs and also amazing finished necklaces). Pls open using Chrome browse for auto translation if you are keen to have a look:

91A1AB9A-7198-4BC3-83CC-C12FEDD7D6F1.jpeg 8C704172-0E40-4AB0-AE7B-B419D3BEFEAF.jpeg

Then one day it happened. I was at a local jewelry and gem show and saw an interlinked bracelet at one of the booths. I asked about the price and it was surprisingly affordable and so I happily brought the bracelet home. The carving was rough in some links but hey it is still all from one single piece of jade right?
Jadeite bracelet:
DE68B8A7-532C-4E89-8115-F6B702341507.jpeg 474BE7B9-7B9D-4475-8FE3-5DD085967EBA.jpeg

But I never stopped wanting a whole carved necklace and continued to keep an eye out. Even asked about two necklaces that I saw online over the years but the prices were scarily out of reach. And then it finally happened... and I recently saw this on IG:

IG pic:
84745990-FE54-422C-A01C-329321799212.jpeg

Once again I cautiously reached out to ask about the price but this time it was relatively affordable and after mulling it over (just a very very short while to be honest) I decided that I had to have it even if I had no idea what the carving was. I mean it’s literally been years since I started wanting a carved necklace right???

And then a short wait for it to be shipped and finally I have it!

And presenting my carved chili pepper jadeite necklace (I only asked what the carving is after I received it in the mail):

C1C6C620-FD7B-4AE4-90B0-3AF929466281.jpeg 06B22F49-6FF0-4FF0-8CAA-F0CF0F3C2B0D.jpeg
CD30C359-989F-4DCD-9F08-2D902AF676CE.jpeg 0B1C455B-F944-41AA-9700-D62EBAD595DA.jpeg 6A794D1B-005B-4E41-B5D7-81C2EB9A9A0E.jpeg

While this is not the most expensive piece or the prettiest jewelry item that I own, to me it is a holy grail piece as it’s literally taken me years to find one.

Thanks for reading!

478A16F1-1A9E-4410-8F5B-A154A0C32611.jpeg

OMG i am memorized by the very idea of it

the devil has very steady hands!
Congratulations on aquiring your holy grail

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Woah!!!! Amazing masterpiece, I can’t imagine the patience and skill required to make that.
Enjoy your HG piece, it’s exquisite!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I just love it. I don’t own any jade, but your pieces have helped me understand the allure- may I ask who the IG vendor was? This necklace is just stunning and I love the pale color! Congrats on finding you HG piece!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shockingly gorgeous!!! :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:
Drooling here..............

I am intrigued by the in-progress photos. The mechanics of such things fascinate me.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well congratulations, @icy_jade - hot stuff indeed! :mrgreen:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s incredible. Devil’s work, indeed! Enjoy :)

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Thank you @luckyblackcat @Daisys and Diamonds @Alex T @Sparkles88 @Lisa Loves Shiny @Cerulean @stracci2000 @mrs-b @bludiva !

I think it's gorgeous! Something that feels traditional and wholly unique at once, and what a gorgeous color. I've been craving my first proper jade piece, I'm thinking a bangle, and would love to pick your brain if you don't mind!

Yes it’s extremely traditional and honestly not quite my usual style - I would prefer it as a chain without the pendant but I guess it’s like wearing a piece of sculptural art.

If you would like to get a bangle, you will need to know your size, the shape that you like etc. There have been multiple threads in the colored gemstone sub-forum and here are a few that maybe you would like to go through to get a better idea? Once you have a better idea, then you can start a thread to ask for help searching for the bangle.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mason-kay-jade-bangle—worth-the-price.253714/

@mellowyellowgirl has also been buying bangles online so maybe pop by her thread to have a look as well?

I just love it. I don’t own any jade, but your pieces have helped me understand the allure- may I ask who the IG vendor was? This necklace is just stunning and I love the pale color! Congrats on finding you HG piece!

This one:

Shockingly gorgeous!!! :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:
Drooling here..............

I am intrigued by the in-progress photos. The mechanics of such things fascinate me.

Yes right? The mechanics fascinated me too so I was happy to see those in progress pics and diagrams in those articles.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The chain is so long!!! Omg the work and time that went into that necklace!!!

I'm thrilled you got your piece of art!!! Enjoy! It is indeed very special!

luckyblackcat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@icy_jade thank you so much for the resources!! Will have a good read through!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is absolutely amazing! Congratulations!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it! I used to see small examples of these pieces in china all the time. And museums have giant examples of statues made of one piece of carved jade.

Is it heavy?

HollyC

Brilliant_Rock
I'm amazed at the craftsmanship needed to achieve this. It's wonderful. Congratulations on finding your HG necklace.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Its beautiful! I've never seen anything like it before. I can't imagine the skill needed to carve such a marvelous piece! And the subtle color is so sensual.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
That is amazing - the artistry and patience to carve that is incomprehensible to me. I get pissed off making paper airplanes...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing skill and artistry! I can see why you were thrilled to find it!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is absolutely amazing! The “devil’s work” indeed! Congrats on finding your HG piece!!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Thanks @mellowyellowgirl @briolette @PreRaphaelite @Ariadne_Theia @Catmom @MakingTheGrade @HollyC @RunningwithScissors @ItsMainelyYou @caolsen @diamondseeker2006 @oncrutchesrightnow @yennyfire @Tourmaline !

I love it! I used to see small examples of these pieces in china all the time. And museums have giant examples of statues made of one piece of carved jade.

Is it heavy?

It’s about 300ct/60 grams which I think is ok (compared to some of my pearl ropes). Surprisingly comfortable to wear despite how it looks. If it was without the pendant part, I can probably wear the chain 24/7 and even to sleep.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you SO much for sharing this with us L.

When I saw this thread the first thing I did was scroll down to see your photos. It didn’t even occur to me that the links would have to be carved from a single piece - I just assumed they were glued, somehow. Obviously. How could you make a chain any other way?

Then I read your description, and looked at your links, and I’m... Floored. You’re completely right. Our most treasured pieces often aren’t our most expensive - they’re the ones we searched longest for, the ones that require esoteric expertise to execute on, the ones that... We know we couldn’t replace. Your chain is literally everything that can ever be special about jewellery. Someone poured mastery and love into creating this one.

Devil’s work. When I got my Sea of Cortez pearls - one of the first things I remember feeling was pride - that we live in a world where our fauna can create otherworldly beauty. Our seas created that! “Not yours, hypothetical-alien, beat that!!” Devil’s work. That’s kind of what I’m feeling right now, looking at your photos - proud that my species can create otherworldly artifacts like this. A chain full of links carved out of one single stone. Beat this, hypothetical-alien!! :bigsmile: :love:

And you look amazing in it!!! We’ve talked about good colours for different skin tones on here. This cool grey-blue-green is perfect for your palette :love:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. That is just cool. I know nothing about jade, just that some is very rare and commensurately expensive. Your piece is amazing, almost unreal. Congratulations on this unique and hard to find discovery.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results