Stunning heirloom. Congrats!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is gorgeous!

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow it’s beautiful, I love the setting is in right now but I’m sure it will look amazing however it is set, that’s a huge stone and faces up very large!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the stone and the setting, but I do understand wanting the best light return possible. Look forward to seeing your recut.. I love your setting, it's so classic...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How special to have your grandmother’s ring!! ::) She definitely deserved this thread - and another post-facelift :bigsmile:

I do like the setting the stone is in right now... but re. your comment about “playing dress up with your grandmother’s jewellery” - I think I’d probably feel similarly. I’m looking forward to your recut and reset journey! :sun:

What is your plan for your grandmother’s setting? A coloured stone would be lovely in it :love:

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is gorgeous!
Thank you!
How special to have your grandmother’s ring!! ::) She definitely deserved this thread - and another post-facelift :bigsmile:

I do like the setting the stone is in right now... but re. your comment about “playing dress up with your grandmother’s jewellery” - I think I’d probably feel similarly. I’m looking forward to your recut and reset journey! :sun:

What is your plan for your grandmother’s setting? A coloured stone would be lovely in it :love:
I've actually been going back and forth for the past year and recutting it. I still can't decide... a part of me wants to keep it in it's original form, and a part of me want's it to show it's true potential.

And I hadn't even gotten so far as to decide what to do with the original setting. I was just going to stick it in the safe... but putting a colored stone in there may be a good idea.
I love the stone and the setting, but I do understand wanting the best light return possible. Look forward to seeing your recut.. I love your setting, it's so classic...
Thank you :)
Wow it’s beautiful, I love the setting is in right now but I’m sure it will look amazing however it is set, that’s a huge stone and faces up very large!
Thank you!

Q

Queenie60

Beautiful and very special ring. Enjoy.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is beautiful as it is! It is a wow and I love the setting. The thought of wearing your grandmothers ring as she wore it, is something very special. I can also understand getting a re-cut. If you grandma knew how much it could take her stone, I have to believe that she (like any woman) would want a sparkle upgrade. Whatever, you decide, it will be lovely. I am so happy for you that you will be able to wear such a treasure.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!

I've actually been going back and forth for the past year and recutting it. I still can't decide... a part of me wants to keep it in it's original form, and a part of me want's it to show it's true potential.
You could get it assessed for a recut so you know exactly what you're considering - if it's a significant loss of size, you might not want to go that route, sentiment aside. I still love your idea of a reset so you're able to put your own stamp on your stone - you'll never not think of your grandma when you look at it but having it also reflect you is I think really important.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could get it assessed for a recut so you know exactly what you're considering - if it's a significant loss of size, you might not want to go that route, sentiment aside. I still love your idea of a reset so you're able to put your own stamp on your stone - you'll never not think of your grandma when you look at it but having it also reflect you is I think really important.
I’m currently getting an OEC recut to take care of a chip. I’ve thought about having him assess my stone when I pick it up.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For anyone curious, I got a rough estimate of a recut (rough estimate because he did it without unsetting it). It would go from an estimated 2.83ct to 2.5ct, but I’d only lose .12mm in spread and would significantly increase brilliance. However, as soon as he found out it had been my grandmother’s ring, he said he wouldn’t advice recutting it. He said it was a beautiful stone and the sentimate attached to it meant more than anything. So, I’m back to not wanting to change it (been going back and forth for a year). It’s the diamond I’ve wanted since I was a little girl, and I need to appreciate it as is :)

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
For anyone curious, I got a rough estimate of a recut (rough estimate because he did it without unsetting it). It would go from an estimated 2.83ct to 2.5ct, but I’d only lose .12mm in spread and would significantly increase brilliance. However, as soon as he found out it had been my grandmother’s ring, he said he wouldn’t advice recutting it. He said it was a beautiful stone and the sentimate attached to it meant more than anything. So, I’m back to not wanting to change it (been going back and forth for a year). It’s the diamond I’ve wanted since I was a little girl, and I need to appreciate it as is :)

Hi Wewechew :wavey:,
I have enjoyed reading your story and seeing the pictures because I find myself in a very similar situation. I too have thought about recutting it and putting it in a solitaire. Have you been able to reach a decision? I think what keeps me from making a decision is fear of regret (this is generally an issue for me!). I might give myself a year or two to think things through to see if that will help with the decision. I'd love an update from you. Thank you!

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @OdetteOdile :) I decided to not recut this stone and instead purchased a 1.28ct CBI which I now wear as my engagement ring. So I still have my original 2.83ct, and was able to scratch the itch of having a super ideal to wear daily.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
@Wewechew Incredibly I have considered doing something similar, but figured in the end, it would cost more to buy the 1+ carat! Now that you have your CBI side by side with your older MRB, do you see a very big difference in cut/performance? Do you find that you much prefer the CBI? Do you like the 1.28ct for daily wear because it is a smaller diamond? Thank you again! This is a very helpful thread for me!

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OdetteOdile Absolutely there is a difference between the two stones. My 2.83ct will go dark in the middle when looking at it face on, where as my CBI is very bright the majority of the time. And yes, the main reason I got my CBI was because I've never felt 100% comfortable wearing my 2.83ct; I always felt I was playing dress up when I wore it. I think I've worn my 2.83ct one time in the last year.

I LOVE my CBI. I first had a 1.27ct K, but it was too warm for me so I traded it in for a 1.28ct I. I'm actually in the process of upgrading it to a 1.29ct G because I can still see a bit of tint in my I (I am extremely color sensitive). But after that I will be done upgrading for several years (my husband says forever lol). Here is the thread on all of that: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/upgrade-1-27ct-vs1-k-hpd-in-sholdt.245837/

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love love love your sparkle bomb. Big, beautiful and sparkly. I like!!!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
@Wewechew Thank you so much for your answers - it helps me a great deal! Thank you for sharing your story. I love this forum! I have learned so much and it is because of people sharing their personal stories and including amazing pictures. I never used to think about jewelry, but now I find myself dreaming about it, and creating a little inventory of pieces I would one day like to own.

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
@OdetteOdile Absolutely there is a difference between the two stones. My 2.83ct will go dark in the middle when looking at it face on, where as my CBI is very bright the majority of the time. And yes, the main reason I got my CBI was because I've never felt 100% comfortable wearing my 2.83ct; I always felt I was playing dress up when I wore it. I think I've worn my 2.83ct one time in the last year.

I LOVE my CBI. I first had a 1.27ct K, but it was too warm for me so I traded it in for a 1.28ct I. I'm actually in the process of upgrading it to a 1.29ct G because I can still see a bit of tint in my I (I am extremely color sensitive). But after that I will be done upgrading for several years (my husband says forever lol). Here is the thread on all of that: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/upgrade-1-27ct-vs1-k-hpd-in-sholdt.245837/

I love my G so I hope you also love yours to come!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results