shape
carat
color
clarity

My First Starsgem Ring with Gene's YAG

SparklePolo

Rough_Rock
After spending a lot of time reading the Starsgem thread, I finally pulled the Starsgem tripper in July (btw thanks to EVERYONE who contributed to that thread. I read all 50 pages and I think it's incredible how it started and where it's at now). Even though most people use Starsgem to custom make the whole ring, I had them make a semi-mount ring with lab diamond halo for my YAG from Gene at Precision Gem.

I hope my experience helps others who are interested in using Starsgem for semi-mount rings or lab diamonds, as semi-mounts do require a bit of back-and-forth since they don't have the stone in hand to work with.

Here are the specs:
  1. Center Stone: 8x8 mm YAG by Gene Flanigan
  2. Halo: 14pc 1.8mm Lab Grown Diamonds + 2pc 3x5mm Pear Moissanites
  3. Metal: Platinum
The plan was to get it made quickly and set the YAG here in US before my travels in mid-August, so I created a spec sheet with a simulated ring image for my rep, Jamie. I think it really helped her visualize what I was looking for.

Screen Shot 2019-09-14 at 1.16.08 PM.png
We communicated via WhatsApp, and it was okay. I'm on the East Coast so I had to stay up to chat with her in real time, as that's when we could really get things moving.

A few days later, Jamie came back with the first CAD based on my specs. On the right are my comments.

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-28 at 10.03.36 PM.jpeg Rings_061819 1-03.jpg

As you can see below, it took a couple more CAD drawings (and lots of late-night chatting on WhatsApp) to get to the final design.
WhatsApp Image 2019-08-01 at 10.34.16 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-07-30 at 11.36.52 PM.jpeg

And voila! Here's what she sent me:
PHOTO-2019-08-09-03-20-46.jpg PHOTO-2019-08-09-03-20-51.jpg PHOTO-2019-08-09-03-20-56.jpg PHOTO-2019-08-09-03-21-01.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5631.JPG
    IMG_5631.JPG
    332.9 KB · Views: 68

SparklePolo

Rough_Rock
I was IN LOVE when I finally received the semi-mount ring. :kiss2: I sent the ring and the stone to David Klass and he got it done in 2 days, shipping back to me at the vacation home.
IMG_5631.JPG IMG_5641.JPG IMG_5674.JPG

What I've learned from this experience:

Time - Starsgem (at least my rep) isn't great with meeting deadlines, plus communication takes a lot of time too. Our communication began on 7/20 but I didn't hear from her for a few days. After I sent my spec sheet on 7/26, they sent the first CAD on 7/28 and Jamie assured me the ring would get done in time. Well, the ring arrived on 8/14, 5 days after my original date of 8/9. The ring took 3 weeks to make from start to arriving in my hand.

If you have a specific date in mind, I recommend to add in an extra week for cushion.

Lab Grown Diamonds - I own a few moissanite rings but the lab diamond halo is simply amazing. So sparkly and white, even better than my diamond band (on the left of last pic). I highly recommend as they don't cost that much more than the moissanite melee.

Trust - This was my first time working with a jewelry vendor overseas, so I was very cautious to avoid any confusion throughout out communication. Sometimes you just have to trust they'll get it right (as Jamie often said, "please don't worry, it will look beautiful" ;)2)

One thing that I wish I did, was noticing the center stone only had single claws. In my initial simulated image I had put in double claws but I never noticed it when looking at the CAD. It must have been the late nights! :roll:

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow! This turned out amazingly well. It’s absolutely gorgeous. And that stone just glows!

Thank you for such a detailed review. I’m sure it will help a lot of people. Did DK speak to the quality of the setting or have any issues with the setting process?

Ra2nl

Shiny_Rock
What a gorgeous color!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning color and love the setting too. Beautiful ring.:love:

SparklePolo

Rough_Rock
Oh wow! This turned out amazingly well. It’s absolutely gorgeous. And that stone just glows!

Thank you for such a detailed review. I’m sure it will help a lot of people. Did DK speak to the quality of the setting or have any issues with the setting process?

That's a good question, because I did ask DK to check on the setting and whether I should add a mini prong on each end of the furthest halo diamonds. He came back saying all of the diamonds are tightly set and should be fine. It was reassuring to hear that from him, and that Starsgem does do quality work!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
That's a good question, because I did ask DK to check on the setting and whether I should add a mini prong on each end of the furthest halo diamonds. He came back saying all of the diamonds are tightly set and should be fine. It was reassuring to hear that from him, and that Starsgem does do quality work!

Great info to have! It really is a beautiful ring. Wear it in good health!

Mamicee

Rough_Rock

Wow! Setting came out beautiful!!!!

Can you share how much DK charged you to set your stone into SG setting? :) I plan to have SG Create a setting for me one day as well for my future gemstone ring. a lot of jewelers where I’m from don’t like to set anything they haven’t made etc.

SparklePolo

Rough_Rock
Wow! Setting came out beautiful!!!!

Can you share how much DK charged you to set your stone into SG setting? :) I plan to have SG Create a setting for me one day as well for my future gemstone ring. a lot of jewelers where I’m from don’t like to set anything they haven’t made etc.

He charged me $250, which I happily paid knowing that it'd be done right :mrgreen2: But I'm sure it all depends on your ring.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that setting is GORGROUS!!!! GAH! love everything about it. Glad that SG was able to do that for you and that it came out well.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
The time you spent on this is how every person should approach working with the Chinese vendors. It is important to do some research and have some patience. I have also seen plenty of people make mistakes with depth since gemstones measure differently then diamonds or moissanites.

This will help a lot of people and the color is amazing. Can I ask what you paid for the Paraiba? I never though much about them until I saw the thread and the color is so mesmerizing!

SparklePolo

Rough_Rock
The time you spent on this is how every person should approach working with the Chinese vendors. It is important to do some research and have some patience. I have also seen plenty of people make mistakes with depth since gemstones measure differently then diamonds or moissanites.

This will help a lot of people and the color is amazing. Can I ask what you paid for the Paraiba? I never though much about them until I saw the thread and the color is so mesmerizing!

@lovedogs Thank you! I'm very happy with it and already thinking about my next project with them :twisted2: The price is just unbeatable.

Thanks @KaeKae, if you haven't seen a YAG in person, it's so glowy that I sometimes get lost in it :roll2:

@swaye2010, I'm glad to see your response. This ring wouldn't have looked so good without your thread and all the help you've provided to others. It was very time consuming to search for the style and putting together the spec sheet, but I'm so glad that I did. I've worked with Chinese vendors in the past professionally, so I guess that helped laying things out. I actually struggled with the height a bit - Gene doesn't provide depth dimensions for his gems, I had to get it measured at a local jeweler's twice.

This lab created, Paraiba colored YAG (Yttrium aluminum garnet, basically a synthetic garnet) was $280. The color is almost neon IRL. It has a hardness of 8.5 and high refractive index so that's a plus :kiss2:

lindam1503

Shiny_Rock
@lovedogs Thank you! I'm very happy with it and already thinking about my next project with them :twisted2: The price is just unbeatable.

Thanks @KaeKae, if you haven't seen a YAG in person, it's so glowy that I sometimes get lost in it :roll2:

@swaye2010, I'm glad to see your response. This ring wouldn't have looked so good without your thread and all the help you've provided to others. It was very time consuming to search for the style and putting together the spec sheet, but I'm so glad that I did. I've worked with Chinese vendors in the past professionally, so I guess that helped laying things out. I actually struggled with the height a bit - Gene doesn't provide depth dimensions for his gems, I had to get it measured at a local jeweler's twice.

This lab created, Paraiba colored YAG (Yttrium aluminum garnet, basically a synthetic garnet) was $280. The color is almost neon IRL. It has a hardness of 8.5 and high refractive index so that's a plus :kiss2:

Well, I can't thank you enough for your response, and also the thread you wrote detailing your experience. You worked hard, (and I think you've got a LOT of expertise I don't have), and goodness, did it pay off! Your ring, imo, is a s t u n n e r!

I've NO problem with synthetic stones and the lab diamond prices seem to be dropping, which I think is even better for someone like me :).

Thanks again for posting your ring and detailing your process--SO helpful!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colour’s amazing and the ring is so pretty.

SparklePolo

Rough_Rock
Well, I can't thank you enough for your response, and also the thread you wrote detailing your experience. You worked hard, (and I think you've got a LOT of expertise I don't have), and goodness, did it pay off! Your ring, imo, is a s t u n n e r!

I've NO problem with synthetic stones and the lab diamond prices seem to be dropping, which I think is even better for someone like me :).

Thanks again for posting your ring and detailing your process--SO helpful!

Thanks for the nice note, @lindam1503 ! I'm so glad my experience helped and I must admit the obsession was real :P2 Both natural and synthetic stones can be stunning with a good cut, so I love them both :kiss2:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’re ring turned out beautifully! :love: I love the way you incorporated the pears into the halo and the stone orientation is perfect!

lindam1503

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the nice note, @lindam1503 ! I'm so glad my experience helped and I must admit the obsession was real :P2 Both natural and synthetic stones can be stunning with a good cut, so I love them both :kiss2:

I really appreciate your mentioning Stagandfinch too :). Not getting a YAG, (yet), but Bryan is super!
Enjoy that ring--I need to slow down my spending, but it is on my "wish list" :).

SparklePolo

Rough_Rock
I really appreciate your mentioning Stagandfinch too :). Not getting a YAG, (yet), but Bryan is super!
Enjoy that ring--I need to slow down my spending, but it is on my "wish list" :).

I just made a big purchase and need to slow down too :lol:

FYI Gene at Precision Gem just posted a gorgeous YAG on his site (link). It's for a fundraiser. Details are on the page. Not to be an enabler but this might be your chance ;)2

2168.jpeg

lindam1503

Shiny_Rock
I have Bryan to think about :). He's been kind enough to agree to making a special piece for me, but yes, this is a b e a u t i f u l stone! Wowza!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results