carat
color
clarity

My Experience and Recommendations on Round Brilliant Diamond purchase

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brava, @123ducklings.

You have identified PS’ biggest failing. To someone who isn’t already part of the community, who doesn’t already know enough to be able to sort through advise he receives to pave his own path - PS is an extremely unapproachable learning venue. That’s not the fault of this one thread, or any other one thread, by any means. It’s the bigger ecosystem that we’re all so familiar with now... We can’t remember what it was like to be new.

The vast majority of visitors are young men who fit your description to a T. They will never make an account. They will never start a thread. They will never ask their own questions. A more hand-held experience - that doesn’t rely on being willing to brave the hordes - is going to be critical in converting those men from casual lookie-loos into consumers and recommenders.
This intro would be a good start to a person looking for help. This will help them understand how much they don’t know.

How about a questionnaire of some sort? To get the person’s purpose, diamond education level and budget as a starting point so prosumers can have a frame of reference with which to make suggestions would be helpful.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
As someone who is newer to PS and diamonds in general (granted, not a man shopping for my intended) - the numbers and precision I've encountered in Rocky Talky is overwhelming.

But there is a difference between being a hospitable guest and knowing you are out of your depth, versus antagonistically saying there simply is no difference between diamonds that have subtle (or not so subtle) nuances that some may observe, and others may not.

PS may not be perfect and the barrier to entry is high, because it requires attention to detail to even play ball.

There is a dearth of fantastic diamonds out there, period. Old cut and new. To me, PS is an incredible, free resource where people can take or leave advice, learn that ideal cuts even exist or, run other diamonds past PSers who graciously review their selections. It's also a relatively safe space for people to ask questions and get earnest answers. I mean, it's practically a free concierge service!

ACAs are certainly not for everyone. I like old cuts myself. But I perceive all of the ideal cut recommendations as a failsafe, not as veterans shoving their opinions down newbie's throats. They seem truly incredible and an easy choice because of the consistently high quality product. If the small price difference is intolerable between branded ideal cut and diamonds from another vendor, then by all means, no need to buy a branded ideal cut! Simple.

I am helping a gentleman friend select a diamond for his intended, and he didn't even know upgrade programs existed at all. He just wants the best he can afford, and now he knows the option is available. It is also really scary to make such a large purchase online. He has a bit more confidence in his purchase going with an ideal vendor because it took the guesswork out of it.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As someone who is newer to PS and diamonds in general (granted, not a man shopping for my intended) - the numbers and precision I've encountered in Rocky Talky is overwhelming.

But there is a difference between being a hospitable guest and knowing you are out of your depth, versus antagonistically saying there simply is no difference between diamonds that have subtle (or not so subtle) nuances that some may observe, and others may not.

PS may not be perfect and the barrier to entry is high, because it requires attention to detail to even play ball.

There is a dearth of fantastic diamonds out there, period. Old cut and new. To me, PS is an incredible, free resource where people can take or leave advice, learn that ideal cuts even exist or, run other diamonds past PSers who graciously review their selections. It's also a relatively safe space for people to ask questions and get earnest answers. I mean, it's practically a free concierge service!

ACAs are certainly not for everyone. I like old cuts myself. But I perceive all of the ideal cut recommendations as a failsafe, not as veterans shoving their opinions down newbie's throats. They seem truly incredible and an easy choice because of the consistently high quality product. If the small price difference is intolerable between branded ideal cut and diamonds from another vendor, then by all means, no need to buy a branded ideal cut! Simple.

I am helping a gentleman friend select a diamond for his intended, and he didn't even know upgrade programs existed at all. He just wants the best he can afford, and now he knows the option is available. It is also really scary to make such a large purchase online. He has a bit more confidence in his purchase going with an ideal vendor because it took the guesswork out of it.

This is true in that since none of us is shopping together with the person, a super ideal round IS the failsafe recommendation.

Having said that, when a person comes here with a budget and a size requirement that is tight, we certainly use all we can to help the person choose, knowing we will never see the diamond in person.

or all the person has to do is say, no thank you. I prefer not to have a super ideal and then we would move on from that.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
This is true in that since none of us is shopping together with the person, a super ideal round IS the failsafe recommendation.

Having said that, when a person comes here with a budget and a size requirement that is tight, we certainly use all we can to help the person choose, knowing we will never see the diamond in person.

or all the person has to do is say, no thank you. I prefer not to have a super ideal and then we would move on from that.

Totally isn't one size fits all - it is excellent that so many vendors exist just for that reason! I see the merits of many vendors. The example I gave with my friend...he is NOT detail oriented at all. Shopping for a diamond would make his head hurt. I knew I could recommend an ideal vendor in his budget and that he'd get something great without much hand holding. If he were another shopper - I probably would've recommended a deeper hunt.

I also happen to know his intended...she is very very detail oriented. If she weren't, maybe it wouldn't be a good match...

I just think it is pretty awesome that people are willing and happy to share recommendations for no other reason than to make sure total strangers get the best option for them!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To add to this point @yssie - and I feel like I remember this conversation coming up some time maybe 7-8 months ago - perhaps we could create a discussion thread putting in all the info a typical visitor to PS - the type @123ducklings identified - would need and sticky it to the top of Rocky Talky.

I think Garry’s recommended RBC table should be on there, maybe with some added recommendations on depth from some of the more knowledgeable “prosumers”. A quick explanation on the relationship between crown/pavillion angles. A link to the PS search and a recommendation to set HCA score to “excellent”. Maybe some of the Good old Gold videos on diamond colour, an explanation of clarity characteristics to avoid / how to define eye clean.

After that an explanation on super ideals, with the pros (optical symmetry, perfectly vetted, upgrade programme) and cons (a very specific “look” that some people might not enjoy in their diamonds, a price premium of xx%) etc.

A well balanced and measured thread like that would be a huge help to most first time visitors and we could still encourage them to post specific stones etc for the community to check out. I don’t mind taking a crack at putting it together, though I’m not that knowledgeable so definitely I will need more people to weigh in to correct me where I’m going wrong.

Well, we do have this but I admit, I haven’t spent any length of time reading it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I have preferences of my own, I have helped countless people over the last 15 years who were posting JA and BN stones and wanted help. On occasion I might post other stones for consideration, but I always respected the people who had priorities of getting the largest well cut stone possible, for example, over a perfectly cut stone.

It's pretty ridiculous to make a blanket statement about ACAs and other superideals "not being worth it". That's totally false because to some people they are. I am not opposed at all to stones that have near ideal standards. My daughter has a WF Premium Select stone and I certainly can't tell it apart from an ACA. So it's unfortunate when people make such blanket statements. There is a range of very well cut stones and some are more OCD over certain specs than others!!! My first H&A stone was GIA graded...so they exist! But for those who love ACAs, I just upgraded my studs and I'd find it unlikely that anyone is going to say they aren't worth it! They are worth it to me!!! And goodness, that upgrade policy is a dream come true for those of us who get DSS and need to upgrade incrementally!!!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
While I have preferences of my own, I have helped countless people over the last 15 years who were posting JA and BN stones and wanted help. On occasion I might post other stones for consideration, but I always respected the people who had priorities of getting the largest well cut stone possible, for example, over a perfectly cut stone.

It's pretty ridiculous to make a blanket statement about ACAs and other superideals "not being worth it". That's totally false because to some people they are. I am not opposed at all to stones that have near ideal standards. My daughter has a WF Premium Select stone and I certainly can't tell it apart from an ACA. So it's unfortunate when people make such blanket statements. There is a range of very well cut stones and some are more OCD over certain specs than others!!! My first H&A stone was GIA graded...so they exist! But for those who love ACAs, I just upgraded my studs and I'd find it unlikely that anyone is going to say they aren't worth it! They are worth it to me!!! And goodness, that upgrade policy is a dream come true for those of us who get DSS and need to upgrade incrementally!!!

My first H&A was also a GIA graded stone. It was a GOG H&A and Jonathan featured it in a few of their older videos. It's a K, VS1 that I still have (it's in a pendant.)

The stone came with all the tests back then, Sarin report, BrillianceScope report, pics of hearts and arrows, etc. I remember being awed.. :lol::lol-2:

It's definitely a beautiful stone.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Hey! These are actually being shipped to me as studs today.

I have never seen a super ideal in person but have been super curious. So when I saw these I waffled for about a day, then requested a hold and a picture. I figured as studs, even if I saw color from the side, on my ears it would be much less noticeable for me (or really anyone else.) Plus, knowing I could upgrade the color if I wanted made it a no lose situation.

58FE7FDC-EF21-4728-B7E1-E263F66DB197.jpeg

you bought one of the ones I wanted to buy!! I'm so happy for you :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first H&A was also a GIA graded stone. It was a GOG H&A and Jonathan featured it in a few of their older videos. It's a K, VS1 that I still have (it's in a pendant.)

The stone came with all the tests back then, Sarin report, BrillianceScope report, pics of hearts and arrows, etc. I remember being awed.. :lol::lol-2:

It's definitely a beautiful stone.

Yes!!! At that time the Tolkowsky company was cutting H&A diamonds and they preferred GIA grading since it is the industry standard! Jonathan did do all the light return tests to prove they were true H&A!!! We even looked at Helium scan results back then, and I now realize that was a little over the top! :lol: Thankful we aren't quite so OCD today!

The real irony is, my new studs are the size of that first H&A diamond! I do wish I had kept it, but I sold it to help me with the next diamond!

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There is a reason we call it things like the upgrade train.

start with what you can afford since the trade up policy is so generous.

I wore the .56 for a year or two as a solitaire on my 7,25 finger and every time I looked at it, I couldn’t believe how big it looked. Visually, it had the presence of my .75 that I wore for 16 years as an ER.

Since that and another one became side stones, I restarted again with I think a .64 I solitaire.

(I have had 3 surgeries in 7 months and I’m now 6 months out from the last one so I do have anesthesia brain. I think I stated in a different post that the sapphire side stones were E and F but I think it’s either E and G or F and G— sorry for the confusion if anyone caught that).

I am very comfortable for HP diamonds (and if I ever purchase an ACA) with lower clarity, even SI2 because if the stone made it as a HP Diamond or an ACA, that means the inclusions don’t affect the performance. Plus, I don’t like paying for things I can’t see).

I have upgraded the .64 I for the 1.09 K si. As an aside, someone here now owns that .64 I but I can’t remember who (sorry) and I think she made a 5 stone with it.

So one day you may find you can afford a little something, see it and decide if you like it, and then get on the upgrade train.

I love my setting and it is Stuller scroll band with a stuller peg head, so all I do is change out the head, if needed.

16E45490-7302-4317-8BC8-5C36D083D3E4.jpeg

Me! And your old stone @whitewave still is a beautiful stone. The CBIs are amazing. I now have 6 of them (5 stone ring and a solitaire necklace) and I don’t think I would buy any other MRB but a super ideal. There is a difference that I see.

But each to their own - As long as consumers are educated and know what they are buying.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You found something that worked for you. kewl.
You want to argue your system is the best without any facts to back it up, not kewl
You want to insult people who help others for free, not kewl.
My thoughts are..
Bye bye go ahead and leave.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Yes!!! At that time the Tolkowsky company was cutting H&A diamonds and they preferred GIA grading since it is the industry standard! Jonathan did do all the light return tests to prove they were true H&A!!! We even looked at Helium scan results back then, and I now realize that was a little over the top! :lol: Thankful we aren't quite so OCD today!

The real irony is, my new studs are the size of that first H&A diamond! I do wish I had kept it, but I sold it to help me with the next diamond!

Yup! Very OCD back then... way, way, way back then.. :lol:

Shiny_Rock
I'm coming back in as sort of a "speaker for the dead" on the part of mx5_dvr, and in part just to weigh in with my own thoughts since I think the OP approaches the subject in many ways similarly to how I do (with some distinct caveats as well). Just speaking for myself, I'm obsessed with efficiency, and that's translated into the process by way of trying to game out where the most "gain" per $$ can be found, across the various metrics, while at the same time avoiding a situation where the cost/benefit gets away from me.

Long story short is that that process can absolutely be distilled into the whole super-ideal vs ideal discussion; we know that at super ideal levels, light performance/return/scintillation/etc WILL be better than at non-super ideal levels. But whereas that performance itself could probably be quantified in some manner one stone to another, there's just no way to easily translate that into what one would be expected to see in real life. If a super ideal diamond and an ideal diamond within the recommended specs both show up at a cocktail party, will the casual observer be able to tell which is which? Will distance effect it? Diamond knowledge on the observers part? Time spent in proximity of the diamond? None of us can know these answers; they're unknowable. What we know is given confirmation via scope images, and certain proportions, both stones will absolutely impress.

I think the OP's main point of contention was, when a stone is a 1.0 on the HCA, and when a stone has great scope images, and when a stone has the right proportions on paper... how much is that price premium to super ideal worth? And can it be detected visually?

The following applies only to the 2.00ct+ range of carat weights, but such is my obsession with this line of thinking that I drew up by hand the below chart two weeks ago to try and visualize for myself what the inflection points were between "levels" on the various criteria. The hard numbers used are the average wholesale prices currently up on RapNet, so the volume of data points is deep - as deep as can be. And what I found is that, at least in this carat range, for sure color is the greatest differentiator in price. Going from a K to a J is like a 30% increase right there. And *within* J? People don't really seem to care about clarity as much; whereas at some of the higher color grades there's a sharp jump from SI1 to VS2, at J it's not bad.

But you see other behavior trends as well... people buying H colored stones *also* seem to value clarity more. In fact that's the sort-of-obvious-but-still-compelling thing shown... the more one cares about color in general, the more they generally tend to also value clarity. The percentage shifts for clarity improvements in the colorless grades are *substantially* greater than they are for clarity shifts in the K/J range.

BUT, again this is for 2.00ct-2.99ct stones.... at sub 0.25ct weights, I'm sure it's completely different in terms of what carries a premium to what.

IMG-0250.jpg

NOW, this is going to seem crazy but I'm going to take the complete opposite tack to a lot of what I just said above, and present my reasoning for why a super-ideal cut is in fact "worth it," such as it were.

We want GIA certs because we trust GIA. Implicit in that is the idea that fallible humans are making the calls on criteria that have immense impact on how these stones are priced. Within the I color grade, there's a range. Within the VS2 clarity grade, there's a range. If there's an I stone at the bottom end of that range, and it stays an I, or it gets graded a J, that has huge implications for the pricing of that stone. Someone out there is walking around with an SI1 stone that *should* have been VS2... and more likely, many more are walking around with VS2's that should have been SI1's, because the certs were shopped. That's where the trust for GIA and AGS comes in; but trust doesn't mean perfection.

Everything else aside, I think that the super ideal 'level' warrants it's premium because it's the one single factor we as humans can control - the way that the diamond will sparkle in the end. We don't know how much more brightly that stone will shine against a near-miss competitor (and I certainly trust that several members here could detect that difference), but we know no stone will shine brighter, and it's that confidence/assurance that we're paying for. The idea that no more could be done by man to improve this particular diamond. We suspect that this stone or that stone is a high J or a low G, but there's no numbers for us... whereas super ideal is a level of attainment either reached or not.

Personally, beyond the optical properties, I think that super ideals have several other advantages that follow from their having that certifiable 'attainment.' People can trust that it's well cut - if nothing else, they trust that. A Cut Above diamond, or a Brian Gavin Diamond, or a Victor Canera, or a Crafted by Infinity... I have *zero* doubt that these diamonds would have significantly more value retention on the open/secondary market simply by virtue of having those credentials behind them. Fifty years from now, an appraiser looking at one of these diamonds... that cert is going to mean something immediately to them. And the irony is that due to the best-in-class upgrade policies these vendors carry, these diamonds rarely leave the vendors own ecosystem to begin with!

With all of that being said I can't help but be that efficiency-minded hunter I said at the beginning I was. For myself, I ultimately landed on an ideal proportion I-colored SI1 stone with impressive light return and... ring came in yesterday and it sparkles like crazy!! More than any diamond I've ever seen at least lol but then again I haven't seen any super ideals in person (that I know of) ;-) Still waiting on a final competing stone to come in to see if I'll ultimately swap it (which several members here are aware of). But with this stone, honestly it's an H. It's graded an I, but it's an H, and feeling/knowing I "won" all that value inherent in a color grade shift (a completely arbitrary decision a human that had to make a call made) appeals to me greatly lol

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm coming back in as sort of a "speaker for the dead" on the part of mx5_dvr, and in part just to weigh in with my own thoughts since I think the OP approaches the subject in many ways similarly to how I do (with some distinct caveats as well). Just speaking for myself, I'm obsessed with efficiency, and that's translated into the process by way of trying to game out where the most "gain" per $$ can be found, across the various metrics, while at the same time avoiding a situation where the cost/benefit gets away from me.

Long story short is that that process can absolutely be distilled into the whole super-ideal vs ideal discussion; we know that at super ideal levels, light performance/return/scintillation/etc WILL be better than at non-super ideal levels. But whereas that performance itself could probably be quantified in some manner one stone to another, there's just no way to easily translate that into what one would be expected to see in real life. If a super ideal diamond and an ideal diamond within the recommended specs both show up at a cocktail party, will the casual observer be able to tell which is which? Will distance effect it? Diamond knowledge on the observers part? Time spent in proximity of the diamond? None of us can know these answers; they're unknowable. What we know is given confirmation via scope images, and certain proportions, both stones will absolutely impress.

I think the OP's main point of contention was, when a stone is a 1.0 on the HCA, and when a stone has great scope images, and when a stone has the right proportions on paper... how much is that price premium to super ideal worth? And can it be detected visually?

The following applies only to the 2.00ct+ range of carat weights, but such is my obsession with this line of thinking that I drew up by hand the below chart two weeks ago to try and visualize for myself what the inflection points were between "levels" on the various criteria. The hard numbers used are the average wholesale prices currently up on RapNet, so the volume of data points is deep - as deep as can be. And what I found is that, at least in this carat range, for sure color is the greatest differentiator in price. Going from a K to a J is like a 30% increase right there. And *within* J? People don't really seem to care about clarity as much; whereas at some of the higher color grades there's a sharp jump from SI1 to VS2, at J it's not bad.

But you see other behavior trends as well... people buying H colored stones *also* seem to value clarity more. In fact that's the sort-of-obvious-but-still-compelling thing shown... the more one cares about color in general, the more they generally tend to also value clarity. The percentage shifts for clarity improvements in the colorless grades are *substantially* greater than they are for clarity shifts in the K/J range.

BUT, again this is for 2.00ct-2.99ct stones.... at sub 0.25ct weights, I'm sure it's completely different in terms of what carries a premium to what.

IMG-0250.jpg

NOW, this is going to seem crazy but I'm going to take the complete opposite tack to a lot of what I just said above, and present my reasoning for why a super-ideal cut is in fact "worth it," such as it were.

We want GIA certs because we trust GIA. Implicit in that is the idea that fallible humans are making the calls on criteria that have immense impact on how these stones are priced. Within the I color grade, there's a range. Within the VS2 clarity grade, there's a range. If there's an I stone at the bottom end of that range, and it stays an I, or it gets graded a J, that has huge implications for the pricing of that stone. Someone out there is walking around with an SI1 stone that *should* have been VS2... and more likely, many more are walking around with VS2's that should have been SI1's, because the certs were shopped. That's where the trust for GIA and AGS comes in; but trust doesn't mean perfection.

Everything else aside, I think that the super ideal 'level' warrants it's premium because it's the one single factor we as humans can control - the way that the diamond will sparkle in the end. We don't know how much more brightly that stone will shine against a near-miss competitor (and I certainly trust that several members here could detect that difference), but we know no stone will shine brighter, and it's that confidence/assurance that we're paying for. The idea that no more could be done by man to improve this particular diamond. We suspect that this stone or that stone is a high J or a low G, but there's no numbers for us... whereas super ideal is a level of attainment either reached or not.

Personally, beyond the optical properties, I think that super ideals have several other advantages that follow from their having that certifiable 'attainment.' People can trust that it's well cut - if nothing else, they trust that. A Cut Above diamond, or a Brian Gavin Diamond, or a Victor Canera, or a Crafted by Infinity... I have *zero* doubt that these diamonds would have significantly more value retention on the open/secondary market simply by virtue of having those credentials behind them. Fifty years from now, an appraiser looking at one of these diamonds... that cert is going to mean something immediately to them. And the irony is that due to the best-in-class upgrade policies these vendors carry, these diamonds rarely leave the vendors own ecosystem to begin with!

With all of that being said I can't help but be that efficiency-minded hunter I said at the beginning I was. For myself, I ultimately landed on an ideal proportion I-colored SI1 stone with impressive light return and... ring came in yesterday and it sparkles like crazy!! More than any diamond I've ever seen at least lol but then again I haven't seen any super ideals in person (that I know of) ;-) Still waiting on a final competing stone to come in to see if I'll ultimately swap it (which several members here are aware of). But with this stone, honestly it's an H. It's graded an I, but it's an H, and feeling/knowing I "won" all that value inherent in a color grade shift (a completely arbitrary decision a human that had to make a call made) appeals to me greatly lol

I agree that both views have merit. I love superideal cuts. I also love a near superideal with a great price due to strong blue fluorescence. Both of those are just personal preference. I know no one across the room would know the difference, and that would include PSers. But no one really cares about my diamonds but me! So I might have some superideal cuts, an antique diamond that is well cut, and I might have a stone that is well cut but not superideal that has fluorescence, because I think it is a steal of a deal to get a discount on high color stones because of a beautiful natural phenomenon! On the other hand, I just got new ACA studs, and I am again amazed at how perfectly beautiful they are! I can truly appreciate more than one kind of diamond, but all will be well cut. I don't think the whole debate should be that only one has merit. All well cut diamonds are worth it (other than overpriced ones!), and there is not just one right choice for everyone!!

Shiny_Rock
I agree that both views have merit. I love superideal cuts. I also love a near superideal with a great price due to strong blue fluorescence. Both of those are just personal preference. I know no one across the room would know the difference, and that would include PSers. But no one really cares about my diamonds but me! So I might have some superideal cuts, an antique diamond that is well cut, and I might have a stone that is well cut but not superideal that has fluorescence, because I think it is a steal of a deal to get a discount on high color stones because of a beautiful natural phenomenon! On the other hand, I just got new ACA studs, and I am again amazed at how perfectly beautiful they are! I can truly appreciate more than one kind of diamond, but all will be well cut. I don't think the whole debate should be that only one has merit. All well cut diamonds are worth it (other than overpriced ones!), and there is not just one right choice for everyone!!

Haha I'm with you on the flourescence! This stone only had 'faint' and I had really wanted medium or higher!

My ideal stone would have been a Brian Gavin Blue but the inventory in the 2.00+ carat weights is just reeaaaally thin right now. Someone in another thread just bought this 2.5+ct BGD Blue stone I'd been watching forever after Sledge recommended it to them lol. Love that diamond, but glad it's going somewhere where it will be appreciated because it was always out of my price range at that 2.5 level

(I say *my* even though this ring is not going to be worn by me... is that normal??)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried get a BG Blue once and I was 4th on the list for that one diamond lol
Haha I'm with you on the flourescence! This stone only had 'faint' and I had really wanted medium or higher!

My ideal stone would have been a Brian Gavin Blue but the inventory in the 2.00+ carat weights is just reeaaaally thin right now. Someone in another thread just bought this 2.5+ct BGD Blue stone I'd been watching forever after Sledge recommended it to them lol. Love that diamond, but glad it's going somewhere where it will be appreciated because it was always out of my price range at that 2.5 level

(I say *my* even though this ring is not going to be worn by me... is that normal?

Shiny_Rock
I tried get a BG Blue once and I was 4th on the list for that one diamond lol

Wait what??? They have waiting lists for particular diamonds?? Dude I don't get it, they should work on filling those inventory gaps on the Blue line!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait what??? They have waiting lists for particular diamonds?? Dude I don't get it, they should work on filling those inventory gaps on the Blue line!

This was years ago and I can’t remember all the details, but I called about it and it was on hold-sold and yeah, I remember someone telling me other people wanted it if the original buyer sent it back in the return period. I don’t know that it was an actual list (though it might have been because some of us know the sale staff well enough at some of these places that they would remember to contact us).

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That 2.5ct BGD Blue was a sweet stone. It's going across the pond to boot. Best part was after you added that extra 5% discount he got, his $/carat was just barely above a normal XXX stone but with all the reassurances of a super ideal.

My wife's BGD Blue H-VS2 w/ MBF. No wait or pain involved. Lesley made it silky smooth from start to finish. :cool2:

still.jpg

BLAGS-104098623002-IDEAL.jpg

BLAGS-104098623002-ASET.jpg

1662_BLAGS-104098623002-HEART.jpg

BLAGS-104098623002-FL.jpg

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
**edited by moderator**]

I respect you, you are funny and I've always enjoyed your wisdom.

I could be misinterpreting your intent here but this is a bit over the top.... I would appreciate if you leave the asian culture alone.

Last edited by a moderator:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I respect you, you are funny and I've always enjoyed your wisdom.

I could be misinterpreting your intent here but this is a bit over the top.... I would appreciate if you leave the asian culture alone.

My deepest apologies @SomethingNew. There is a backstory but I feel that is irrelevant. It certainly was never my intent to creative a negative atmosphere. I have no qualms with Asians or any other race and am very regretful I offended you or anyone else.

Too much time has elapsed so I can no longer delete or edit that response myself. Consequently I have reported the thread and requested the admins delete or modify. Also I reported your thread and asked them to remove the quote so the offensive comment is gone.

I know sorry does not fix this. I am truly regretful. Also I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. I will be wiser with my words.

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your clarifications @sledge. No hard feelings at all, and I agree too often words get lost in translation. Part of the reason PS is so special is here we have a large mix of people from different backgrounds and with various knowledge. I may not agree with everything being posted here, but definitely appreciate you guys taking the time of the day to share your experiences and to show us beautiful things.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

IMG-0250.jpg

@Avatar345 ,

From one wordy poster to another, I salute you! And I say that for the thoughtful, balanced summation of the discussion which you took the time to prepare. Not just word count!

May I also commend you on your chart. When you said “hand” chart I was not prepared for an actual hand written chart. Haven’t seen one of those since before MS Excel v 1.0. Very impressive!

You make plenty of good observations about the impacts of different value factors as you slice and dice your way to understanding your own personal sweet spot. One factor to keep in mind is that super ideals are generally not listed on Rap – they are intentionally cut for merchants specializing in this niche and go directly into their programs. Thus they bypass (as a rule) the virtual database.

I think most people do approach diamond buying from a cost/benefit perspective, and almost everyone finds some area of compromise that they deem acceptable or even desireable (e.g. fluorescence or warm colors). And of course these opportunities exist within the superideal realm as well.

And in general the difference in price between a well cut GIA triple Ex and a branded super ideal is actually not as great as some might assume or suggest. And if you factor in elite craftsmanship, and added value such as benefits that might be better than what is available from virtual diamonds (or might be missing entirely), guaranteed availability, exclusivity, advanced diagnostics, a higher level of customer care, etc., the premium to a large extent becomes not a premium at all, but rather just a different product.

Bottom line, I fully agree with your balanced take. Not every buyer wants the same thing on a menu as diverse as gem diamonds. Education is the key to understanding any product and getting good value on the product that is right for YOU. The more you understand the full range of possibilities, the better you are able to do the slicing and dicing and deciding.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When these discussions arise, I think that one thing that is undervalued is the time involved in hunting a beautifully cut diamond. I think that it is definitely possible to find an unbranded great performing stone if you put in the time. A few years ago, when I was having a 5 stone made, I called Michelle at WF and said, "please send 5 matching 0.3 ct J VS2 ACAs to David Klass." Within a day, they were on their way, without a doubt in my mind they would be beautiful and well matched. I could have spent hours searching but super ideals and the vendors that sell them make it unbelievably easy. Too easy for my pocketbook sometimes! :lol:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When these discussions arise, I think that one thing that is undervalued is the time involved in hunting a beautifully cut diamond. I think that it is definitely possible to find an unbranded great performing stone if you put in the time. A few years ago, when I was having a 5 stone made, I called Michelle at WF and said, "please send 5 matching 0.3 ct J VS2 ACAs to David Klass." Within a day, they were on their way, without a doubt in my mind they would be beautiful and well matched. I could have spent hours searching but super ideals and the vendors that sell them make it unbelievably easy. Too easy for my pocketbook sometimes! :lol:

I think this is a very valid point, and a benefit that is rarely mentioned.

Also I believe age metrics play into the equation. Not always, but many times a younger buyer will have less dollars to spend and consequently spend more of their time doing things to stretch their dollars.

As we age and/or have drastic life experiences, our value system naturally evolves. We may begin to see our time as more valuable than our dollars and we begin to start viewing & executing purchase decisions differently.

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock

LOL I want to say those exact words one day!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results