Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity
  • Pricescope Upgrade/Maintenance Is Complete.

We still have a few things to iron out. If you see any bugs, issues or have any concerns, let us know here in this discussion.

My Burma Myanmar gemstones :)

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for taking us along on your trip:) what an amazing and unique experience! I would love to go digging myself . The Ground looks so full of promise. One cannot get away from nature in such an endeavor. Though I admit, I admire the courage of miners who ventur deep into the mountains! How frightening.

Sigh..those stars! I adore those cherry blossom pink and red ones! They seem hard to find and I’m curious about how common they are. Are they popular there?

Seeing the star rubies actually makes me kinda heart sick. I’m still waiting for mine and I’m starting to wonder if maybe they aren’t meant to be for me. Then I think I need to keep faith...what a trip.

Anyway, did you end up purchasing any of the gems?

Last edited:

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
Yes they can. Basically the inclusions give the star. Not all mines will produce.

The Mogok natives even know from the soil colour what gems can be found in each section!
I see, I guess it's just a question of experience. It's good to know that these mines benefit everyone, not just the owners. Is there a reason the permits have ended for most of the mines?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bluegemz most of the good rough goes from mine to overseas. Most don't make it to the local market here. But they aren't that difficult. Larger sizes are scarce now as the old mines that used to produce them are exhausted. Then, finding a perfect star sapphire/ruby with perfect asterism, translucency, no black inclusions, etc is another challenge :)

@clumberlove Experience and remember, the natives used to just pick them off the ground lol even before the large mining ops came in. So this knowledge is passed on for generations verbally is my guess.

The permits used to be able to be renewed fairly easily under the old government. New one halted the entire process. Presumably for a review of the law but really, who knows?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Morning mist over the mountains.

The artificial lake to the morning Mini Yadanar market, where mostly rough is sold. Where the lake is used to be a gemstone mountain. Fully mined and levelled by the British during colonial rule days.

20181203_071349.jpg 20181203_080116.jpg 20181203_080123.jpg 20181203_080105.jpg 20181203_080108.jpg 20181203_071438.jpg 20181203_073352.jpg 20181203_071401.jpg 20181203_071431.jpg 20181203_071356.jpg

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.