shape
carat
color
clarity

My Bizarre Diamond help please

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure if there are any recommended Appraisers in the UK - the Appraisers section under the Resources tab at the top of the page is US States only.

For me, I agree with the others on this thread - it may well be difficult / impossible to return without making a fuss, and 'rocking the boat' may upset your partner and make them think you don't want the ring and what it stands for, even if that is not the case.

Your partner is not the first, and won't be the last, to 'buy blind' and get a less than stellar diamond, unfortunately, and as mentioned, £1000 is a lot of money but not a LOT of money, so in the grand scheme of things, the situation is not too bad overall.

If a return-and-rebuy-elsewhere option is not available, wear it, like it for what it stands for, get saving for an upgrade in X years time, I reckon ;-) :)

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well today I did a little research on the lady I spoke to and it turns out she did several years training with a very high end jewellers in London, UK and also studied 5 years degree level in jewelry and gemology so I am again lost in what to think! Afterall, she saw it with her real life eyeballs and under magnification :confused2:

Did you tellther that the diamond could not be returned at any point in the conversation? Because the only other explaination I can think of is that perhaps she was trying to protect your feelings by not telling you that this was a treated diamond. I mean, someone who studied gemology for 5 years should be able to tell you this right away. There's no excuse for not being able to.

Then again, I don't like it when professionals don't tell the truth for any reason, even if it's to protect someone's feelings. As a professional in any given field, it is your job to give it to people straightly, even if the truth sometimes hurts.

Returning to the doctor analogy, if a doctor just figured out that their patient has a chronic disease, their job is to inform them. Even though t sucks to be the bearer of bad news, they cannot just say "Oh yeah, you'll be fine in no time!" even though it might be easier to tell the that in the moment.

Matilda

Shiny_Rock

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well today I did a little research on the lady I spoke to and it turns out she did several years training with a very high end jewellers in London, UK and also studied 5 years degree level in jewelry and gemology so I am again lost in what to think! Afterall, she saw it with her real life eyeballs and under magnification :confused2:

I'm sorry, but either she's lying, trying to protect your feelings, or incredibly ignorant. Either way, what you have is clearly a filled diamond that isn't worth anything close to what your partner paid.

Bambamsmam

Rough_Rock
Haha.. well.. i did like it but now im not so sure after looking for info and being bluntely told its worthless and poo hahahh! Kinda takes the shine off a bit... Literally pmsl! X

Last edited:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:doh:it is on the report, girl. I'm sorry you got honest and very knowledgeable feedback, when you maybe wanted reassurance. Pricescopers are a passionate and honest bunch. They know that sugar coating things won't solve problems and they try to protect you and your hard earned money from sleazy sales tactics.
Haha.. well.. i did like it but now im not so sure after looking for info and being bluntely told its worthless and poo hahahh! Kinda takes the shine off a bit... Literally pmsl! X

Bambamsmam

Rough_Rock
Ahh I would prefer honesty and knowledge every time..lol i have learnt so much from here and research from what people r saying etc that next rime i look ar a diamond and cert i will have an idea lol xx

Bambamsmam

Rough_Rock
Iridescence is caused by diffraction. As white light passes through very small openings such as pores or slits, or through thin layers of material which differ in refractive index, a prism effect causes the light to split into an array of spectral colours.

These may then be seen on the surface of a gemstone - or a soap bubble or an oily road.

To understand iridescence a little better, turn over a compact disc and gently move it from side to side. Notice how the silver CD starts to display all of the colours of the rainbow. This iridescence is caused by the tiny grooves on the CD which reflect light at different angles from the top to the bottom of the groove

This is the exact colour I am talking about.. the diamond may be very fractured hence the iridescent but after a lot of reading and images this is it im sure and no doubt just as bad ultimately but definitely looks lill that!

And yes i did kinda think ppl might not unsunderst why the diamond is grey and not white hahah !

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock

Maybe I can help ... if this is true, she lied to your face. That’s what you should think, lol.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots of very experienced people AND trade diamond appraisers / Brokers have commented so the information and advice provided is as good as it gets.
The diamond is clarity enhanced and it’s correct color term is “grey”.
It’s not a valuable or rare colour and a clarity enhanced diamond- that’s what your report says- is a very negative thing in terms of value and stone integrity. It’s a highly treated diamond and the extent of drilling holes and refilling them has resulted in this “interesting” light refraction effect.
These are the facts.
If you love your diamond, none of this information matters, it’s your diamond so wear it with joy BUT be aware that the structural integrity isn’t good so you must tell any jeweller who works on your ring that it is Clarity enhanced and it should not go into the ultrasonic cleaner.

Bambamsmam

Rough_Rock
Im just shocked how quickly a lot of people can shoot down a qualified and experienced gemologist whom has actually seen the diamond in real life under a microscope. A lady who suspected filling or heat treating and who will no doubt have seen clarity enhanced diamonds and no doubt sells them in her diamond shop that she owns... And again, when i then come forward with new information explaining/describing the colouring as natural iridesence (which is a reasonable possibility) and is so much closer to what I am seeing than the flashes people are talking about.. it is shot down as nonsense.. I am sorry, Im not experienced at all but I think an open mind is useful and to be honest, I did love the diamond but since coming on here i dont anymore and I wont be keeping it regardless of wether it is filled or not. The certificate does state clarity enhanced but it also states twice '100% natural diamond' .. I appreciate people on here dont rate IGL and probably for good reason, but wherever you look it does state a grey coloured diamond is a rare colour and that is fact, not as rare as others but also not common.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I just read this entire thread. @Bambamsmam, the title of your thread is "My Bizarre Diamond help please." You asked for help; you got four pages of help and advice from several experienced posters who are in the diamond trade, and from many more longtime posters -- none of whom have a dog in this race and all of whom have expressed concern that you didn't get what you paid for. You did get what you asked for here -- help. Yet you persist in arguing that the opinion of the person who saw the diamond in person is more credible than the many people who took time out of their busy days to share their expertise with you on this thread. If the diamond can't be returned, perhaps it is best to hold out hope that what you have is a rare diamond with natural iridescence and not a clarity-enhanced stone. My quick read of this thread suggests that there are only two likely options here:
1) The diamond is clarity enhanced, which accounts for what you're seeing in the stone. This is the likely option, as expressed by numerous posters in this thread.
2) You are engaging in the process of confirmatory bias*, which accounts for your continued efforts to find information that supports what you want to hear, that is, that the diamond is rare rather than clarity enhanced. People give more weight to information that confirms what they want to hear than they do to information that challenges what they want to hear.

There's nothing wrong with making yourself feel better by seeking information that supports what you want to hear -- people do it all the time. Just recognize confirmatory bias for what it is and be at peace with your belief that the diamond is a rare, silver, iridescent diamond.
*https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/science-choice/201504/what-is-confirmation-bias

Last edited:

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
The report is accurate in stating twice that it is a '100% natural diamond'. Clarity enhancement does not make a diamond unnatural, it is a treatment done to a 100% natural stone. It is not a fake diamond. Clarity enhancement and natural diamond are NOT mutually exclusive.

I am genuinely sorry you feel disheartened about your ring after receiving advice and opinions from the forum. We are trying to help, not make you unhappy. I think people just don't want to see you get fooled thats all really.

Also the information regarding the structural integrity of the diamond is actually especially important as you are going to keep the ring.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know it's hard to hear bad news about something you love but the PSer's here are an honest bunch. No one is disputing it is a "natural diamond" but it is clearly fractured filled/treated which is stated in black & white on the certification. Bron has said it best...

The diamond is clarity enhanced and it’s correct color term is “grey”. It’s not a valuable or rare colour and a clarity enhanced diamond- that’s what your report says- is a very negative thing in terms of value and stone integrity.

If you love it, fine. Just be careful with it! :bigsmile:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would contact a geologist or someone in optics and ask them to use a scope (I find 20-40x easier to see this) and follow the below instructions. Tell them little other than you have these flashes of color and there are two options. See what they say.

https://www.jckonline.com/magazine-...rs-must-know-about-fractured-filled-diamonds/
"A “flash effect” is the built-in signature of any fracture-filled diamond and the easiest way to detect clarity enhancement. (Other signs of filling include flattened gas bubbles, a “flow” around fracture or what looks like a web of cracks, but the flash effect is the most common and easily detectable.)

To find it, hold the diamond by its girdle with a pair of tweezers, table up, under at least a 10x loupe with darkfield or direct lighting, or under a high-power gem microscope.

Tilt the gem carefully back and forth. Look at every facet (58 in a standard brilliant cut) perpendicular to the surface. A fracture must reach the surface to be filled and looking perpendicular at a facet enables the viewer to see those fractures which do. Look down the fracture, parallel to the break. If it is filled, there will be a flash of color from the fracture. The colors you might see include yellow, yellow/green or orange (against a light background) and purple, pink or blue (against a dark background).

Diamond fractures also have natural iridescence, which may be confused with color flashes. However, it doesn’t have a quick, vivid “flash.” The key is to look down the fracture for filled color flashes and broadside at a fracture for iridescence."

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Since you are so sure that the jeweler was correct and that everyone here is wrong, I urge you to get an objective lab report through GIA.

I can guarantee that you wont be pleased with the results though and will feel upset for getting so defensive over facts about a diamond that you wanted help identifying.

You asked AND you received opinions from people that obviously have much more experience than the one woman who saw the diamond in person.

I really wish you well and hope that you can come to terms with the stone but, I'm done commenting as it seems like you really are doing everything you can to justify the price paid for the diamond despite the expertise given here by professionals.
It's a strange stubbornness that is adamant about denying the most plausible truth.

Bambamsmam

Rough_Rock
Its not that im defensice i just find it humourous that some people r so black and white they cant even accept there r other possibilities either way. Its not because i want to believe anyone is wrong but it also doesnt mean anyone is right either.. i didnt mention colour flashes.. i mentioned rainbow coloirs but the more i read the more possibilities there are, even last night i was reading about a diamonds ''fire' and this was even likely.. sething id never heard of which explained clearly about how diamonds naturally reflect colour like a prism and some cuts do it better than others! Yet as soon as i have mentioned colour everyone has jumped to the worst case scenario rightly or wrongly.. i will go to see a reputable gemologist, i have found one an hour or so away.

I so appreciate all help advice and knowledge and have said so, i appreciate people have taken time out of their busy schedules to offer me their wisdom, but there are always grey areas and options.

Last edited:

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Like @TheGarnetGirl said, if you have any doubt at all send it to GIA, or even IGI Antwerp for that matter (may be easier since you're in Europe). The report will say the exact same thing as is listed on your report (Clarity Enhanced). But if you really must have reassurance, then send it to them. Or use an approved appraiser in the UK.

I'm not quite sure what "gray areas" you're referring to though. The report that you were provided says clarity enhanced. Clarity enhanced = fracture filled. There really are no gray areas to speak of. I mean, it's right on the report. :wall:

Clarity enhanced diamonds can still be listed as natural diamonds, because they are in fact, a natural diamond... A natural diamond that has been fracture filled.

By all means, wear it and enjoy it in the meantime. You loved it before, so why not love it now? You can always upgrade in the future. But it's important to understand what you have and not just stick your head in the sand. Clarity enhanced diamonds need to be treated with special care (no ultrasonic, no sudden changes of heat, no submersion in solvents, no jewelers torch, etc.) that you need to be aware of. That's all we're trying to tell you here. If you don't listen to what is on the report and all of the experts here that have been giving you advice, and you take it to a jeweler for cleaning/setting work without informing them that it is clarity enhanced, then you'll be left with a bunch of tiny diamond fragments after they're finished with it.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
even last night i was reading about a diamonds ''fire' and this was even likely.. sething id never heard of which explained clearly about how diamonds naturally reflect colour like a prism and some cuts do it better than others! Yet as soon as i have mentioned colour everyone has jumped to the worst case scenario rightly or wrongly.

Nope, we aren’t jumping on the wrong scenario. The IGL report lists that this stone has been clarity enhanced. Even though they are not the most reputable lab out there, virtually all labs have equipment that is used to test whether a stone has been clarity enhanced in some way.

Bambamsmam

Rough_Rock
I just find it hard to believe it is filled cracks making so much rainbow colour because it would mean there is more filling than diamond in there :eek2:

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just find it hard to believe it is filled cracks making so much rainbow colour because it would mean there is more filling than diamond in there :eek2:

Listen, I don't think we're going to be able to tell you anything more through this thread. You have yourself convinced of one reality, while we're trying to tell you of another reality. Nothing more can be accomplished like this.

You said you found a reputable gemologist one hour from you. Great, take the diamond and the certificate to them. Here's what you do. When you walk in, hand them the diamond and IGL certificate and say "I'm thinking about purchasing this diamond from another store and wanted an independent opinion prior to purchase. Can you tell me if the diamond is fracture filled? Please tell me straightly and give me your honest opinion of the diamond. I am still in the return period."

This way the gemologist won't be trying to protect your feelings like if you said "This is my engagement ring gifted to me by my fiancee!" They'll give you a straight answer and advise you on how "rare" it actually is.

Then you'll have the answer you're seeking. Come back here and let us know how it goes.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She don't know diddly.

srke

Shiny_Rock
even last night i was reading about a diamonds ''fire' and this was even likely.. sething id never heard of which explained clearly about how diamonds naturally reflect colour like a prism and some cuts do it better than others

I doubt it is fire that accounts for what you describe, or i'd be REALLY worried about the experience of the lady you took it to , if she said it's something she's never seen before...

Like others have said, if you have doubt and want to be 100%sure, you can always send it to a reputable lab. But it probably won't be money well spent other than for assuaging your own curiosity.

If you intend to keep the stone regardless and never sell it, then as long you take precautions when cleaning or getting work done on the ring etc as other people have recommended, there's no point in worrying about it any more, since it won't change the outcome, apart from probably making you more upset.

If you do think you might want to sell the stone in future, then you might want to be prepared for a market with little demand for a CE stone, and not go into it with unrealistic expectations of what the ring is 'worth' , although at the end of the day worth is basically what another person is willing to pay for it, so rather subjective.

Otherwise, if you think you would want to change the ring if it is in fact a CE stone, then rather than wasting time trying to convince yourself it might not be, i'd just take what it says on the cert at face value, and skip straight to looking at what your options are, be it seeing if a refund is possible for misleading statements from the seller or just selling the ring (likely at a loss) and getting one you'd feel better about.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock

I don’t know if that’s true or not, but the pictures of your diamond match all the descriptions of clarity enhanced, and it says so on the certificate.
But you would rather believe this gemologist. I’m not sure why she said what she said ... but from this thread ... maybe she just picked up on how much it meant to you and didn’t want to burst your bubble ... as the folks here have done.
It really doesn’t have to be so complicated?
*shrug*
I’m really sorry that this is disappointing for you ... really. I think it’s fair to say everyone here would much rather see you happy, but not based on a deception, that’s all.

Bambamsmam

Rough_Rock
Well thank u all, we can leave it here, I will update after visit to gemologist and let you all know her verdict. I do appreciate all reaponse even if I don't always agree with hpw some people think or express opinion.. thanks again

amoline

Shiny_Rock
I'll be following along! Interested to hear what the independent gemologist says!

I do echo what @TreeScientist said, however, in that you should frame your question in terms of considering a purchase and wanting an independent opinion; this way, the gemologist won't feel obligated to justify or turn you away, but rather can give an unbiased opinion.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results