shape
carat
color
clarity

My Bizarre Diamond help please

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
@Bambamsmam it means that a clarity enhanced diamond will cost A LOT less than a non enhanced diamond. And considering that this is not even a good clarity enhanced diamond and is graded by a dodgy lab it is worth probably even less than a clarity enhanced diamond which is GIA E colour, VVS1 etc .

I hope I made sense! @TreeScientist puts it beautifully so please go with that explanation haha

BOTTOM LINE: return if possible

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
I am sorry about the situation. Its just that its sad that such a romantic gesture gets abused by a vendor. It's a bad time to get ripped off. It's the principle I guess.

I did a super speedy search on vendors who had clarity enhanced diamonds with reports from labs such
as GIA and yes I do believe over 1000 is too much to spend on this stone.

Bambamsmam

Rough_Rock
Aww thank you for that, i guess it is what it is and itl just have to be what it is a diamond ring hahah x

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you TreeScientist!!
I wanted to clarify something
Drilling means exactly what it sounds like, they drill small holes with a laser into the diamond to remove nasty inclusions (usually large black carbon crystals). They then fill these holes, and other fractures (large feathers) that may be within the diamond with bismuth-infused glass to improve the clarity of the stone.

There are two distinct methods.
1) laser drilling. This is not technically considered "clarity enhancement" although the that's the goal- improving the way the stone looks. But it's not that same as Clarity Enhanced, because there's nothing at all added to the diamond.
A laser is used to drill a channel to a black carbon crystal(s)
After the channel is drilled, the stone is soaked in acid, which bleaches the carbon white- and hopefully less visible. GIA will issue a clarity grade on such stones.
Also- many stones which have carbon very close to the surface are boiled specifically to bleach visible carbon.
2) Clarity Enhanced- or Filled is different.
A diamond with imperfections which reach the surface is injected with Silicon under super high pressure- Fracture filled. GIA will not issue a clarity grade on such stones.

Please- there's NO SUCH thing as "Fancy Silver" the report is completely bogus.
If you love the diamond, by all means, keep it....but now at least you know what you've got.
Those who are saying that Clarity Enhanced stones sell for very low prices are correct.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please return the stone. Clarity enhanced diamonds are a disaster, and don't hold up over time. I'm sorry that the Jewelers you spoke with didn't know what they were talking about...that's frustrating. I wouldn't pay anything for a clarity enhanced stone, because they just aren't worth it. As rock diamond said, laser drilled are different, but filled/enhanced are very very bad. I would rather have a smaller well cut stone with a reputable lab report than anything clarity enhanced.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you keep it tell anyone who works on the ring that the diamond is clarity enhanced and filled
The slightest high heat that will not harm an untreated diamond will destroy it.
What threw me in my first reply is that the people that looked at should have been able top tell you it was filled.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the rest on the return ... and can’t help but comment: any gemologist, especially with 34 years of experience, that can’t see clarity enhancement in the diamond or on the report might want to consider a new business, lol.

I’m wondering what is the next step for the OP? Now you have everyone’s opinion to return it ... is that an option for you? What motivated you to investigate? Will you wear it now? Just curious :wink2:

Bambamsmam

Rough_Rock
I agree with the rest on the return ... and can’t help but comment: any gemologist, especially with 34 years of experience, that can’t see clarity enhancement in the diamond or on the report might want to consider a new business, lol.

I’m wondering what is the next step for the OP? Now you have everyone’s opinion to return it ... is that an option for you? What motivated you to investigate? Will you wear it now? Just curious :wink2:
Oooh im im so unsure what to do, returning is not an option anymore so it is mine to keep or sell on i guess? Im Im not sure. The gemologist did talk about filling and enhancement initially but couldnt see any signs of it which is what threw here and me.. she said that would have been her initial thoight along with heat treating, she also eas very keen on potentially buying it herself!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh im im so unsure what to do, returning is not an option anymore so it is mine to keep or sell on i guess? Im Im not sure. The gemologist did talk about filling and enhancement initially but couldnt see any signs of it which is what threw here and me.. she said that would have been her initial thoight along with heat treating, she also eas very keen on potentially buying it herself!

Did you take the lab report with you for her to see when she inspected it?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Lab reports are only as good as the lab. GIA has this market to themselves (all due respect to whoever else manages to surive honestly next to their doing good enough!)
The question is whether it is worth it for you to get a GIA lab report for the stone (I do not know if it may require un-setting etc.)

I am guessing that you have a diamond with gray overtone - fitting above 'Z' on the GIA colour scale, rather than officially 'Fancy Light Gray' - wich are stil more interesting than expensive (www).

IHMO, the rainbow flash may well come from natural internal characteristics: fractures (common) or grain (almost impossible & interesting). A GIA report will name such prominent characteristics for what they are.

I hope that the object is pleasant to have as it is.

Last edited:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Maybe OP could keep the setting and replace the stone. We can help you find a good diamond for that size mounting, if you like. Then your partner might feel that at least you’ll wear the ring?

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Given that you can't rely on the original report, and you have contradicting info from the gemologist, I would urge you to have it checked out with a recognized lab--GIA. That's just how I'd approach this.......I'd want to know what I have before making changes........

Bambamsmam

Rough_Rock
Aww thanks everyone. I did take the certificate and she did look over it, she seemed very knowledgeable and passionate about the subject and didnt even charge me she said her payment was being able to see such a rare stone! I dont know, its oribabpr cracked and shattered all over and ready to fall to bits hahah :lol: its lovely hearing all of these oponions though xx

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww thanks everyone. I did take the certificate and she did look over it, she seemed very knowledgeable and passionate about the subject and didnt even charge me she said her payment was being able to see such a rare stone! I dont know, its oribabpr cracked and shattered all over and ready to fall to bits hahah :lol: its lovely hearing all of these oponions though xx

She looked at the lab report - citing it was clarity enhanced - and still didn’t think that it was clarity enhanced?

4C608325-0336-46F0-9193-48F5D3ED8B15.png

Bambamsmam

Rough_Rock
Also I am going ti look in GIA certification, i think its the only way to know about my stone. It definitely has a grey tone, it can be seen clearly next to a 'normal' color diamond it appears grey. Alot of the color which can be seen throughout is green and blue with purple, pink and red as well.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Guys- sending a clarity enhanced diamond to GIA is truly throwing good money after bad.
As bad as the lab calling this stone “Silver” is, spotting a CE stone is so simple that’s one area I’d trust the report.
The silicon used in fracture filled stones create a weird rainbow effect within the stone. So that explains that question.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guys- sending a clarity enhanced diamond to GIA is truly throwing good money after bad.
As bad as the lab calling this stone “Silver” is, spotting a CE stone is so simple that’s one area I’d trust the report.
The silicon used in fracture filled stones create a weird rainbow effect within the stone. So that explains that question.
100% agree. Just sell the stone and move on. No reason to waste any more $$ on it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or just wear it and love it.
There really is no reason not to.
My concern is that it won't hold up over time and/or will get damaged. But I guess op should enjoy it until that happens, because no way to return.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rockdiamond cuts to the chase, as always.

I don't think that diamond is worth £1000 or anywhere close to it. Its probably worth the cost of the paper the report was printed on. I'd take it back. It's all too likely to crumble, break or discolor at some point. Labeling the diamond as "rare" proves that the seller is shady.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
My concern is that it won't hold up over time and/or will get damaged. But I guess op should enjoy it until that happens, because no way to return.
While it might be a more vulnerable to damage it might not be that much other than high heat.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

That's what I was just about to post. Why waste $100 on a certificate for a stone that, in all likelihood, is worth about $100? GIA isn't going to tell you anything that you don't already know. They'll give you a report saying it is a clarity-enhanced 0.71 carat round diamond.

Since a return is not an option, just wear it for now as @Karl_K said. But no use dumping more money into this stone.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This statement should read "' Reputable laboratories will not provide a clarity grade as the enhancement is not a permanent treatment and the appearance may worsen over time'

Reputable labs, like GIA and AGS, will not assign a clarity grade to clarity-enhanced diamonds.

IGL is not a reputable lab. The certificate is not even worth the paper it is printed on...
To your point @TreeScientist ,
The report is highly misleading in that the color is stated as "natural", which would lead a consumer to believe that it is a natural fancy color diamond when in fact it is a treated diamond and there is good possibility that the treatment is not only affecting the clarity but also the appearance of the diamond.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I would highly trust what others have said here (about the fact that its definetely clarity enhanced and that, that infact is what is causing the "rainbow of colors" to be seen) over what the seller and other jewelers have told you.
Also usually on PS if someone isnt sure of what theyre talking about or isnt sure if theyre right then they will state so but you have many experienced individuals here stating their firm opinion. I would trust them.

Please dont spend more money getting a real lab report on this stone. It just isnt worth it.

Personally, I would take the stone out and put it somewhere and find a diamond of the same size that isnt enhanced at all and replace it. I think you would be truly happy with the diamond that everyone here can find you in the price range that you give us.

Good luck!

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
I get that you are in the Uk like me so customer service isn’t the same as in the US. However, the salesman sold you an item under false pretenses. I would try to get your money back. Explain he breached the contract of trust as natural silver or whatever does not exist. It’s only rare because it’s imaginary. I’d demand a refund and write an honest review. Even if you don’t get a refund the review is important as I’m certain you are neither the first nor last duped customer. I need to check but there may be a jewelers association in the uk where you can file a complaint against him.

Was your fiancé explicitly told prior to purchase that it was clarity enhanced? Did the vendor explain to him what that meant?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You may have recourse in that is seemed at the least the vendor was being misleading stating it was a very rare stone. No, it is an included, clarity-enhanced stone; neither rare nor particularly desirable. It is NOT worth at all what your fiance was changed, and you can look up other examples of clarity enhanced stones to show you were not charged a fair price. So, I think it is cause even if outside the window to attempt a return based on false advertising (I don't know what the equivalent to the better business bureau is there).

If you cannot return, and it's value is low, and as you do like the stone, simply wear and enjoy it. Read up on how to care for a clarity enhanced diamond (no sonic cleaners, let any jeweler's know what it is, etc) and enjoy. I have some less durable stones (opal doublet) but I still enjoy wearing them. There is no crime in enjoying a less than ideal stone.

Bambamsmam

Rough_Rock
Im going to try and find somewhere local who knows their stuff and owns a huge microscope.. that should help :razz::roll

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results