color
clarity

#JOTW my 5.318ct H VS2 ideal-cut diamond

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix|1348582913|3274282 said:
MissGotRocks|1348566156|3274164 said:
Looks like a truly beautiful stone! Can you tell us the crown and pavilion angles of the stone? Interesting how that plays out in a stone of that size.

Should make a beautiful, huge ring. Congrats on finally getting to that magic size for yourself!

Thank you, MGR.

Sorry I inadvertently left out some details. The crown is 34.6 and pavilion 41 deg. Girdle is medium to slightly thick. It's an AGS triple 0.

It was very hard to find an ideal-cut stone of this size. Pickings were/ are slim in larger stones if you are fussy about cut and I certainly am, having acquired ideal and super-ideal stones, thanks to PS, ha ha! :wink2: I am speculating that had the rough belonged to other cutters, they may have tried to cut it such that it'd have ended up at 5.5ct+ as that'd have commanded a huge premium; and if that 5.5ct+ stone had been submitted to GIA, it might have been graded "Excellent". I was told by Perry that the cutter of this stone is a very big well-respected establishment so I guess they cater to the more "demanding" (for lack of a better term) clientele like us PS'ers who look for perfect or near-perfect stones.

I almost pulled the plug a few times in my quest for my "dream stone". But those times, some things held me back, like a larger table (59%) or a lower clarity (Si2) or strong blue fluor. Not that there's anything wrong with any or all of those of course and I certainly have other diamonds that have those specs. It's just that I waited sooooo long (6 yrs, as many of you know) for this "honker" and I figured that if I had to wait that long, I might as well wait for something "perfect" or as near perfect as possible - I KNEW wanted a smaller table (for more fire), a not too low colour and an extremely eyeclean (= mind clean) diamond without having to pay through the nose (which I'd have had to, had I gone for an F or G or VVS- VS1 clarity). This stone is very clean, mind-clean (in terms of cut, colour, clarity), it fit into our budget and of course is my ultimate dream size!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Thanks for the info - should be a nice stone - can't wait to see pictures after it is set. I am sure there are slim pickins' for a stone of this size so I'm glad that you finally found one that fit the bill!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, just gorgeous in the video, Phoenix! :love: :love: :love:

I like the names mentioned! I think this one really deserves to me called "my precious"! :lol:

mhbc1234

Rough_Rock
hi !
when will we see pictures ?? cant wait. what setting have you chosen?
where did you stone from? any recommendations or info which could be helpful. im new to this forum and live in australia
one day i want a big one just like yours :) many congratulations !!!
post photos

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
L :love: VE it!!! I think I was hypnotized by that video! So very beautiful.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Shazaaam! :-o

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I propose "Titanic" - because of the iceberg that took it out!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha ha, I meant "pull the trigger" not "pull the plug" - need to proof read my posts more! :oops:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alexiszoe|1348551359|3274126 said:
Phoenix, that is one hell of a knock out! Having read your posts on and off re: your search for the 5 carater, I am really glad you finally found her :)

Can't wait to see the hand shots!

Hi Alexis! :wavey: Long time no "see". Hope all is well with you. Did you upgrade your diamond? did I miss the thread?

Glad to see you here.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mhbc1234|1348611656|3274588 said:
hi !
when will we see pictures ?? cant wait. what setting have you chosen?
where did you stone from? any recommendations or info which could be helpful. im new to this forum and live in australia
one day i want a big one just like yours :) many congratulations !!!
post photos

I hope to get my ring in abt two-three weeks' time. I just went with a simple sleek solitaire with 4 double-claw prongs. Perry Chen of LM/ Artofplatinum sourced the stone for me. I will post the pics later, promise. :))

What are you looking for? I am not sure what information or recommendation you'd like, but basically I'd stick to the well-known vendors here, like Perry, Whiteflash, GOG, BGD, JA (in no particular order of preference). Have a look around their sites, see what takes your fancy. Have a budget and/ or size in mind, and decide on what colour and clarity you would like.

If you post some information (or better still, start a new thread on RT) on what you're looking for, I am sure we could help you search for your stone. What you could do is start with what you would like right now and upgrade to larger stones later (some people do it progressively, in several stages). Or you could save and get something larger later.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Phoenix,

yes, the cushion in my avatar is my upgrade - a 3ish carater that I adore. Unfortunately, my ex and I have parted ways, so I don't wear the ring anymore - although I am probably going to trade it in for something else!

Would you mind sharing what your experiences was like with the different vendors and why did you decide to work with Perry in the end? I would really like a nice 4ish pear and I am looking for vendors who are patient enough to source a pear within my parameters!

I can't imagine how exciting this must be for you - the wait must be excruciating!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alexiszoe|1348636926|3274749 said:
Hi Phoenix,

yes, the cushion in my avatar is my upgrade - a 3ish carater that I adore. Unfortunately, my ex and I have parted ways, so I don't wear the ring anymore - although I am probably going to trade it in for something else!

Would you mind sharing what your experiences was like with the different vendors and why did you decide to work with Perry in the end? I would really like a nice 4ish pear and I am looking for vendors who are patient enough to source a pear within my parameters!

I can't imagine how exciting this must be for you - the wait must be excruciating!

Sorry to hear you and your ex parted ways.

Hmmm...my experience, it was 6 years or so, so it's a bit hard to write it down, lol, but I shall try. I spoke with BGD numerous times during those years (on and off ) as I really wanted a super-ideal BGD H&A. For one reason or another, a stone didn't materialise. I am grateful to Brian and Lesley though.

I spoke to another vendor (whose name I'd rather not mention) who asked that I put down a substantial deposit (50% I seem to recall vaguely but pls don't quote me on that). I was reluctant to put down a large amount of money without knowing exactly what I was going to get and I was required to commit once the deposit had been paid. When a piece of rough is cut, there's no telling *exactly* what grade - colour and clarity - was going to come back from the lab until it does. There was so much uncertainty, and I didn't want to take the risk. This vendor also complained about how hard he was having to work for me and yet no sale had taken place yet. To say I was put off is an understatement! :rolleyes: My whole experience with him was rather negative.

I also spoke to JA a few times. Jim Schultz tried really hard and pulled a few stones off his inventory to have a look for me, but alas the stones didn't fit my specifications or budget. I am also very grateful to Jim.

BN also came into the pic. They sent me pics of a few stones, but in the end they wanted me to pay the WHOLE cost of the one stone that I was interested in BEFORE I could even have the stone sent to an IA for an appraisal. Well, that was that! The end of our very short "relationship", lol!

Perry...well I got to know about the diamond concierge service here on PS and I spoke to him on and off for about 2 years, I seem to recall. He sent me a stone to look at a while ago but that didn't work out. I got in touch with Perry again recently when diamond prices pulled back (just prior to this, I'd almost given up my search altogether as prices had rocketed so much that I'd thought I was going to be priced out of the market). Perry is an absolute angel. He's extremely patient and responsive and helpful and very funny - he makes me laugh! He always responded to my emails promptly and took several calls from me, one time when he was having an anniversary dinner with his wife (sorry again Perry), I felt so bad!! Anyway, we considered several stones and this one seemed to fit my budget and colour and clarity requirements. Both Leon and Pery gave it their seal of approval, Perry called it "gorgeous". I then asked Perry to take the stone across the road (or something like that, lol) to David Wolf who also pronounced the stone a beauty. So I then sent my money over and this incredible beauty became MINE!! :appl: :bigsmile:

I would also like to add that upgrading was NOT my objective. Initially, I wanted that option; but realistically, after you have a 5ct, in order to upgrade, you'd have to go to a 6ct or even if you stay at 5ct, you'd have to go higher in colour and/ or clarity. Given that this 5ct was practically the holy grail for me, the chances of my finding another suitable stone to upgrade to would be extremely slim. This, and also the fact that I would probably never upgrade her (that's what DH has told me anyhow, lol :wink2: ) given the astronomical pricing of any such upgrade.

If you don't mind, I'd like to add my 2 cents to what you're looking for. Pears do not go up in value (or at least, go up a lot less than other shapes) and they are quite hard to re-sell (not a lot of demand out there for pears, personally I don't understand why). I absolutely *adore* pears, and if you just want to buy a 4ct for your own enjoyment and you never ever plan to sell it in the future, of course that's your choice. I just wanted to point out that economically speaking, pears do not make a lot of financial sense. Hope you don't mind my sharing that?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good_luxe_girl|1348581467|3274258 said:
...Big Bertha...lol this one just popped in my head

This is funny! I almost spit out my wine, lol!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosebloom|1348582450|3274271 said:
What a beauty!

Would could name her "heavens" - as in "Heavens to Betsy what a diamond!!!" but also HeaVenS for her awesome H VS stats.

That is pretty awesome and very witty! :appl:

I love the play on words.

Thank you.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hereby proclaim my new beautilicious diamond HOLLY!! As in the Holy Grail (which she practically was for me, the last 6 years). I almost gave up my search for her and I am soooooo happy to have found her - finally!! :appl:

I also feel very celestial or heavenly whenever I think of her (thanks Rosebloom - I think that is very apt).

YAY!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: Holly says she's very pleased to meet all of you!! :bigsmile:

Thank you, everyone, for your all very wonderful suggestions. I've had a lot of fun trying to decide which name to pick.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Love Holly!!! She sounds beautiful, sexy and intriguing. As she is!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Phoenix|1348672464|3274926 said:
I hereby proclaim my new beautilicious diamond HOLLY!! As in the Holy Grail (which she practically was for me, the last 6 years). I almost gave up my search for her and I am soooooo happy to have found her - finally!! :appl:

I also feel very celestial or heavenly whenever I think of her (thanks Rosebloom - I think that is very apt).

YAY!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: Holly says she's very pleased to meet all of you!! :bigsmile:

Thank you, everyone, for your all very wonderful suggestions. I've had a lot of fun trying to decide which name to pick.

I love Holly! She's brilliant! Seriously amazing and I am so glad you finally found *the one*.

didiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Good Lord, that baby is INCREDIBLE!! I have no name to suggest but I can't wait to see her on your hand! Just gorgeous. Congrats!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix...WOW, beautiful stone!!! :love: like i said before...this is a very clean looking 5+ ct VS2 stone... :love: :love: i'm glad that you decided on a RB ideal cut.. ;))

lvnut

Shiny_Rock
Wow!!! Phoenix what a beautiful stone! :love: What an understatement...I am speechless! I haven't been here in awhile and will have to check in more often because I can't wait to see this beauty on your finger!

Congratulations! :appl:

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
DANG! That's going to be some MAJOR bling! :love: :$$): :shock: :appl:

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!! :appl:

Cachette :))

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Phoenix,

thanks for your comments about pears, I really appreciate it! I understand what you are saying about pears- part of the reason why my first upgrade ended up being a cushion instead of a pear was because the vendor I worked with didn't accept pears and other less popular shapes and cuts as upgrades later on, I suppose it's just not popular. The other thing was the vendor didn't really try to work with me and my budget and parameters so I only saw 1 pear. Eventually I found a cushion in his inventory which I liked, and since it was more "painless" (i.e doing direct upgrade with my old e-ring rather than trying to sell my original stone on the market when prices then was at an all time low) it made sense to me.

However after all these years, I still can't get the pear out of my mind, which is why I am still considering a pear. Knowing how I have changed my mind over what I love over time, this time around I want to make sure that the stone qualifies for an upgrade (lateral move? lol) from whichever vendor I work with. On the other hand I am wondering if I would be happy with a 4 carat round? Like you said, it would definitely be easier sell, plus there are so much more rounds out there!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations Phoenix! I am so happy that you were able to find your perfect stone! It is a dream stone for sure! What a beauty! I am looking forward to seeing that huge stone on your lovely hand!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alexis, do you still live where I think you lived a couple of years ago?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lvnut|1348697428|3275138 said:
Wow!!! Phoenix what a beautiful stone! :love: What an understatement...I am speechless! I haven't been here in awhile and will have to check in more often because I can't wait to see this beauty on your finger!

Congratulations! :appl:

Good to see you, lvnut! :wavey:

Thank you.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Phoenix,

no, I have since moved back to the States. :))

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
HOLY MOLY!!! :love: :love: :love:

:shock: :shock: :shock: <------- eyes the size of dinner plates

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
She is a BELTER!!!! :love: :love: :love: (as we say in Scotland!!! :praise: )

I cannot wait to see her on your hand!!

:wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results