shape
carat
color
clarity

My 3-strand bracelet from Intergem!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
C, I hope this link is OK. It is to a person''s pearling blog and does a good job of showing w/ photos and descriptions how to work with the clasp. Ignore the steps in the middle that call for using some special gizmo to make the knots. I have never used anything to help me tie knots.

http://handiworkjewelry.blogspot.com/2008/10/re-stringing-pearls.html

I''m trying to find the U tube video that I have also used and will post it when I do. It was referenced on another forum so I just need to find the right message to copy the url from.

Yes, I use medium gimp with doubled strands. I have a sharp pair of embroidery scissors that I use to cut the gimp. I have not had any problems with it crushing or uncoiling. Even if it does muck up the end just a bit, when I pull it tightly, the ends come out just fine.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 10:10:43 PM
Author: jmtomaui
C, I hope this link is OK. It is to a person's pearling blog and does a good job of showing w/ photos and descriptions how to work with the clasp. Ignore the steps in the middle that call for using some special gizmo to make the knots. I have never used anything to help me tie knots.

http://handiworkjewelry.blogspot.com/2008/10/re-stringing-pearls.html

I'm trying to find the U tube video that I have also used and will post it when I do. It was referenced on another forum so I just need to find the right message to copy the url from.

Yes, I use medium gimp with doubled strands. I have a sharp pair of embroidery scissors that I use to cut the gimp. I have not had any problems with it crushing or uncoiling. Even if it does muck up the end just a bit, when I pull it tightly, the ends come out just fine.
Thanks for the link jmt, it gives me a much better idea about what to do. You said after stringing the gimp, you "double back down through the next 3 pearls" - does that mean you start by knotting the silk at the end, string 3 pearls, then gimp, then go back through those 3 pearls? The link shows stringing only 2, but I know people have different methods. Also, with 3 pearls, does that eliminate the need for glue, or do you use that too? Sorry for all the questions - you must be rolling your eyes by now!
20.gif
I've been looking for a local class, but haven't found one yet.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Wow, the luster on those pearls is amazing!
30.gif

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
Cellentani, believe me, I am NOT rolling my eyes at you! I am truly still learning myself and am constantly asking questions of anyone I can find with the patience to answer me. And I do have patience to help you learn along with me... We can learn together.

Let me try to explain my starting process...

I do tie a knot at the end of the thread to keep the pearls from falling off the thread. It is just a temporary knot that will be cut off in a few minutes. I then string 3 pearls on to the thread and place them near the knot but not tightly up against it - I tend to leave a couple of inches of space between the pearls and the knot. This gives me the space I need to be able to tie knots between the 3 anchor pearls but prevents them from falling off.

Once the 3 pearls are strung, I add the gimp and one half of the clasp. I push the gimp down tight to the pearl with the clasp over the gimp. I then run the thread through the pearl right against the gimp. This tightens the gimp into a half curve with the clasp attached. I use an overhand knot to tie a knot using the "needle" thread to tie around the "pearl" thread. Then I run the thread through the second pearl and tie another knot. I repeat this once more through the third pearl. I choose to tie another knot using all 4 strands but some people cut the loose thread at this point and only tie a 2 strand knot.

Now I string the rest of the pearls on to the doubled strand and then tie them off individually. When / before I get to the LAST 3 pearls, I thread the gimp and the other half of the clasp and then the last 3 pearls. Now I repeat the steps above in running threads through the individual pearls and am now tying 4 strand knots again.

If this does not make sense, or you want to ask other questions, maybe give a shout in a new pearl thread? I feel like I threadjacked from your beautiful bracelet and others may want to skip our learning lessons??

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Wow, thanks for all the help, jmtomaui! I''m excited to be off to the craft store. I''ll be back later....probably with more questions.
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results