shape
carat
color
clarity

My 3-strand bracelet from Intergem!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been wanting to try knotting my own pearls for awhile now, but I found a vendor at Intergem this past weekend who sells pearl strands and will knot while you wait. So, I picked out 2 strands that have pretty good luster and roundness, and had her put together a 3-strand bracelet with a sterling silver clasp. The pearls are 9mm, and they do have some blemishes, but for a bracelet (which will get banged around a lot more than a necklace), they''re perfect. And the price was quite reasonable!

gs pearls1.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I had originally wanted a 6mm mulit-strand bracelet, but after seeing these, I love the bigger size!

gs pearls2.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
1.gif

IMG_2921a1.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Here they are compared to my 6.5mm necklace. IRL, they're not this pink - you wouldn't look at the bracelet and think, "oh, pink pearls." They're really a lovely shade.

IMG_2926-1.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
A close-up showing the luster (and my ring!).

gs pearls6.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I''ve already worn it a couple of times (not saving it for special occasions), and it''s really comfortable. I''m thrilled with my budget bracelet! Next time, maybe I''ll get some multi-color or even grey strands. Now to figure out what to do with the half strand I have left over...

gs pearls5.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/18/2009 7:05:57 PM
Author: cellentani
A close-up showing the luster (and my ring!).

you are killing me! What a beautiful bracelet! The pearls are just gorgeous and the class is devine! It looks perfect with your E-ring! I love your e-ring BTW. The setting just takes my breath away!!!!!!
30.gif

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
Your bracelet is beautiful! And the clasp really makes it! Not to mention how great it ties in with your ring...

What about a single strand bracelet? Or a local bead shop could probably make some earrings out of the half strand?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Thanks cushioncutnut! I hadn''t realized how the clasp matches my Ering, but you''re right. I guess I keep going for the same stuff over and over!

jmtomaui - thanks for your great comments! I picked the clasp out of a little box she had behind the counter - the bracelet feels more special because I got to choose the pearls and clasp. I may use the extra pearls to try knotting (you''ve inspired me!). I want to use silk, but I''ve got to figure out what size I need.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
OMG! I LOVE the bracelet and your gorgeous e-ring! TDF
30.gif

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful bracelet and your ring is amazing!!!
36.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Ohhh that''s gorgeous! I love the weight of it - it looks stunning!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
S''not fair (Gailey stamps feet). I want an Intergem near me.

It''s a fabulous bracelet, superbly executed Cellentani. How long before we see you on Etsy? Can I place my order now?

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
NICE! It looks gorgeous! Do you remember the name of the vendor? There''s an intergem show coming my way in September...

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 11:24:55 PM
Thanks cushioncutnut! I hadn''t realized how the clasp matches my Ering, but you''re right. I guess I keep going for the same stuff over and over!

jmtomaui - thanks for your great comments! I picked the clasp out of a little box she had behind the counter - the bracelet feels more special because I got to choose the pearls and clasp. I may use the extra pearls to try knotting (you''ve inspired me!). I want to use silk, but I''ve got to figure out what size I need.
Cellentani, this is a hard one to figure out. Some companies go by a letter grading, others by a numbering system. I looked at what I have in my supplies and I have Griffin silk in size 4 (0.60mm), size 5 (0.65mm) and size 6 (0.70mm). These are a mid weight strength that has worked well for pearls up to about 7.5mm in size.

For 9mm, I would probably want to double the silk if using one of these Griffin sizes.

It is hard to know without seeing the size of the drill holes. A bead shop or craft store may be able to give you a better idea if you take the pearls in. Have fun with it!

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
cellentani your bracelet is gorgeous! I love the clasp!
30.gif
(and your e-ring, is it Vatche? or am I mistaken? either way its beautiful)

good luck with knotting! I hope it turns out great- and of course- post pictures when you finish!
36.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful Bracelet, thats been on my wish list to get a three strand pearl bracelet. your''s is TDF! great clasp, it looks like it matches your ering deisgn quite well. Beautiful!
36.gif

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful bracelet!!! Love the colour and lustre. It looks great on you.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone for your really nice comments!
35.gif

Gailey - haha, I wish I''d strung these myself!!

gecko - the vendor is Pan Lovely Jewelry Co., and they had the front spot in one of the rows (I''m not sure, but I imagine they pay more for those booths?) There were lots of vendors who sold pearl strands, but as far as I could tell, this was the only one who would knot them for you. I''m happy to share prices, so let me know if you''re interested.

jmtomaui - Yeah, I should have taken them to jemco while at the show - they carry silk in various sizes. I really want to try the German brand Gudebrod and use french wire at the ends.

kas baby - my e-ring was made by my local jeweler, but it is similar to one of the Vatche settings. It''s handmade and lacks the perfection of Vatche, but I like it anyway! Thanks for your sweet comments!

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
I have heard very good things about Gudebrod but have never used it. Most shops in the midwest carry Griffin so that is my experience base.

Gudebrod uses an alphebetic sizing system and do not know what they mean. I like that they come on reel spools in greater quality than the Griffin. And they seem to come in a wide variety of colors as well.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 2:02:25 PM
Author: jmtomaui
I have heard very good things about Gudebrod but have never used it. Most shops in the midwest carry Griffin so that is my experience base.

Gudebrod uses an alphebetic sizing system and do not know what they mean. I like that they come on reel spools in greater quality than the Griffin. And they seem to come in a wide variety of colors as well.
jemcousa.com carries spools with an explanation of the letter grade (offers diameter measurements as well as strength classifications). Just curious - how do you attach your clasps? Do you knot directly onto the jump ring, or do you use a french wire? I''m going to post a pic of the different styles, hang on...

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 1:58:27 PM
Thank you everyone for your really nice comments!
35.gif

Gailey - haha, I wish I''d strung these myself!!

gecko - the vendor is Pan Lovely Jewelry Co., and they had the front spot in one of the rows (I''m not sure, but I imagine they pay more for those booths?) There were lots of vendors who sold pearl strands, but as far as I could tell, this was the only one who would knot them for you. I''m happy to share prices, so let me know if you''re interested.

jmtomaui - Yeah, I should have taken them to jemco while at the show - they carry silk in various sizes. I really want to try the German brand Gudebrod and use french wire at the ends.

kas baby - my e-ring was made by my local jeweler, but it is similar to one of the Vatche settings. It''s handmade and lacks the perfection of Vatche, but I like it anyway! Thanks for your sweet comments!
Cellentani - Actually, I really would love to have some idea of what they were charging, so I either save up or don''t get my hopes up, LOL.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 2:38:12 PM
jemcousa.com carries spools with an explanation of the letter grade (offers diameter measurements as well as strength classifications). Just curious - how do you attach your clasps? Do you knot directly onto the jump ring, or do you use a french wire? I''m going to post a pic of the different styles, hang on...
Here''s a pic of the knots she did a the end of the bracelet - they''re just tied directly onto the jump ring:

end knots.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
And here''s the french wire used on my 6.5mm pearls. This is what I''d like to use, but if i use a double strand of silk, the first 2 or 3 pearls will have 4 strands of silk, and the knots between those first ones will be really thick. Maybe once it''s done, you won''t really notice?

french wire.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 2:40:45 PM
Author: geckodani

Cellentani - Actually, I really would love to have some idea of what they were charging, so I either save up or don''t get my hopes up, LOL.
gecko - the seller had strands at various price points, but the 9mm strands I chose were $15 each. Nicer strands of larger pearls were about $40. A bracelet uses about half a strand, so I needed to buy 2 strands for a 3-strand bracelet. The sterling clasp was $30, but she had a bunch that were base metal for $5-$10. She also had some gold and diamond clasps in the display case - one I looked at was $130. The labor charge for knotting was $30 for my bracelet, so my final cost was $87, including tax.

I hope you find her and get one - it''s a lot of fun!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the info! I''ll look for her when I''m there!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/19/2009 3:57:18 PM

Date: 8/19/2009 2:40:45 PM
Author: geckodani

gecko - the seller had strands at various price points, but the 9mm strands I chose were $15 each. Nicer strands of larger pearls were about $40. A bracelet uses about half a strand, so I needed to buy 2 strands for a 3-strand bracelet. The sterling clasp was $30, but she had a bunch that were base metal for $5-$10. She also had some gold and diamond clasps in the display case - one I looked at was $130. The labor charge for knotting was $30 for my bracelet, so my final cost was $87, including tax.

I hope you find her and get one - it''s a lot of fun!
$87!!! What a steal! They really are gorgeous!!

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
Wow! What a great bargain! I would have expected to see them asking for more... Gecko, I''ve purchased from Pearl Creations at gem shows and they have good pears with decent prices if you don''t find Pan Lovely.

Cellentani, I use the french wire (aka gimp by some) and double back down through the next 3 pearls. These first 3 knots are larger than the others but really are not that noticable. The silk can be pulled pretty tightly to "shrink" the knots a bit. I think we see it more in the great close-ups as the knots look to be - literally - larger than life. For necklaces, the clasp is behind the neck and my hair is long so you don''t see it. Bracelets, the knots could be anywhere on your wrist so I doubt anyone would notice. They should not be that close.
11.gif

I do know some people that use the french wire and don''t like the mis-sized knots so what they do is only knot after the first pearl (the one up against the clasp) and then run the thread through the next 2 pearls. They do not knot after pearl 2. They cut the thread after pearl 3 and knot from that point on with only the double silk. Basically, there is a 4 strand knot after pearl 1, no knot after pearl 2, and a 2 strand knot from pearl 3 to the end.

I think I would rather see 3 larger knots than to think one might be missing...

I wish we could post links as there are some that explain and show this really well.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 5:20:50 PM
Author: jmtomaui
Wow! What a great bargain! I would have expected to see them asking for more... Gecko, I've purchased from Pearl Creations at gem shows and they have good pears with decent prices if you don't find Pan Lovely.

Cellentani, I use the french wire (aka gimp by some) and double back down through the next 3 pearls. These first 3 knots are larger than the others but really are not that noticable. The silk can be pulled pretty tightly to 'shrink' the knots a bit. I think we see it more in the great close-ups as the knots look to be - literally - larger than life. For necklaces, the clasp is behind the neck and my hair is long so you don't see it. Bracelets, the knots could be anywhere on your wrist so I doubt anyone would notice. They should not be that close.
11.gif

I do know some people that use the french wire and don't like the mis-sized knots so what they do is only knot after the first pearl (the one up against the clasp) and then run the thread through the next 2 pearls. They do not knot after pearl 2. They cut the thread after pearl 3 and knot from that point on with only the double silk. Basically, there is a 4 strand knot after pearl 1, no knot after pearl 2, and a 2 strand knot from pearl 3 to the end.

I think I would rather see 3 larger knots than to think one might be missing...

I wish we could post links as there are some that explain and show this really well.
I gather the link is to another forum? If it's a youtube, I think it's okay, right?

And do you use the medium-size gimp with double strand silk? What do you thin is the best way to cut the gimp without crushing or stretching the coil?

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Wow that''s really gorgeous! Love it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results