shape
carat
color
clarity

My 1.86 Arrived!! Question for "J" wearers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/19/2007 9:25:09 PM
Author: kcoursolle
It''s beautiful!!! Face up it''s absolutely fine, so maybe just put it in a basket settinng or something that doesn''t show as much of the side as a typical four prong basic setting. Don''t worry though, most people don''t really view or enjoy diamonds from the side view...the questions is really whether the side warmth is going to bother you.
Thanks so much!! The colour doesn''t bother me all that much, and I know that the side view won''t be exactly what i''ll be staring at all the time! :)

As for the setting, we are deciding between either the superbcert tiffany replica or a custom ring like lynnb''s fishtail pave but we''ve literally been going back and forth for a long time. We were wondering whether or not lynnb''s could be made into a 6 prong because the bf loves the six prong look.

We are going looking for ideas tomorrow so we''ll see!

This is all so exciting!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OH, YUM! Gorgeous, gorgeous diamond! I LOVE it!
30.gif

Welcome to the J Club, we are a happy bunch!
35.gif

fisiogrl

Shiny_Rock
I also love LynnB''s ring. I am sure that it could be made in a 6 prong style and it would be lovely. And I would be very, very green...

BTW, I absolulely love your stone and it is what I would pick myself if I decide to upgrade.

Funny that you seem to be another canadian and we love the same ring and stone! I did the cross border run too! Good luck with it all.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
beautiful
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
you could consider a head kind of like the lockes solitaire with it's 6 prong scoopy swoopy kinda look. or just do a 6 prong and add little scallops to each prong.

i do see some warmth in my 2c+ J stone but i don't care. i wouldn't have been able to get anywhere near this size even dropped to an I..nevermind an H. and really the whole I to J thing is not that much difference visually in the larger sizes. So really what am i saving? i'd still have some warmth probably. and a smaller stone. since i love size...had to make a 'sacrifice' somewhere and honestly it's not much of a sacrifice for me, i ADORE this stone, it's a firecracker and in 90% of lighting situations no one even sees the warmth since i have a 6 prong and most people don't ever view it from the side.

my local nail salon owner and her employee thought that it was a D. they SWORE it had to be colorless. i got a good laugh out of that one!! honestly most people don't even know color in stones. they just see the bling and sparkle of an ideal cut stone...you could probably find a 'premium' cut stone but honestly the hassle of the research for me would never be worth it...not when there are so many ideals catching my eye!!

oh and LOL cehra...i thought the same thing re: the whole temp stone holder...hehe. pretty common actually!

Peerless

Rough_Rock
if your j''s warmth is not an issue, why do you keep bringing it up? get over it, you sacrificed color for size. to each it''s own, and then? -it''s like splurging at applebees, so what? we each are entitled to our priorities...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2007 1:30:43 AM
Author: Peerless
if your j''s warmth is not an issue, why do you keep bringing it up? get over it, you sacrificed color for size. to each it''s own, and then? -it''s like splurging at applebees, so what? we each are entitled to our priorities...
I didn''t get the feeling she was bringing it up over and over.... besides, aren''t we here to discuss these things including concerns? But you''re right about each of us being entitle to our priorities.

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/20/2007 1:30:43 AM
Author: Peerless
It''s like spluring at Applebees?? LOL Um, ok
20.gif
So, do you mean like getting the riblets plate instead of the basket??

Btw, that would be its, no apostrophe.

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/19/2007 5:23:35 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

good grief! I''ve had my stone in and out of its holder thingy a thousand times in the past 6 months and it hasn''t chipped.
Famous last words
1.gif

I just think it`s inviting trouble.

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
Very nice stone. I understand your concern over a J, because when I first came to PS I would have insisted that anything below a H Vs2 was a piece of junk that was two seconds from crumbling to pieces. Now I think Js are lovely. Even though you can see some warmth, it actually gives the stone a nice touch, imo.

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replies everyone!!

As for the colour, I am not concerned about it. However my bf was marginally worried, mostly because of what so called jewellers tell him about J''s, so I was merely looking for some advice to tell him from other J wearers. I for one am in LOVE with my J!!
30.gif

Mara, thanks for the advice on the setting as well...I know that you had a big hand in helping to design Lynnb''s set, and you know how much I love that one!!

We are going today to take a look at some settings to give the bf an idea about what ''pave'' looks like, since he''s never really seen it and we have a store nearby that sells Michael B settings. Granted I am not looking to buy one, but to show him how the pave will look so he has seen something in person similar-ish to lynnb''s.

I''ll let you know how it went later today! :)

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
Phew! Well the shopping trip was successful! We went to Tapper''s in West Bloomfield, MI, and they were GREAT there!! No pressure, tonnes of designer and non designer settings to try on and even my bf enjoyed himself!

We found two settings that we liked...one was the Michael B petit princess (not to buy, but for the pave style in LynnB''s) and one that was made by Renaissance Platinum that looks a LOT like the Daniel K rosebud, but for a round stone. It was gorgeous! Of course I can''t find it online...it was one sided bead set pave and then had that rosebud head with the pave on it as well.

So at least we know what we like so we can reasonably decide whether or not to go the custom route.

And then there is still the superbcert...ooh the choices!!

It was a really fun day though, and the bf was actually enjoying it as well!

Here''s a picture of something ''like'' the one we saw...except it doesn''t have pave on the sides, and has it on the head, AND has very skinny double claw prongs.

I was just surprised cuz its the first non-custom setting that he''s liked!

83488.jpg

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
But with a head like this...

Actually...the entire ring looks almost exactly like this! haha except for a RB of course!

rosebudhead.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sunshine, you might want to check out www.pearlmansjewelers.com and look at Pearlman''s Collection. They have a lot of one and three sided pave settings and the prices are a fraction of Michael B.

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/20/2007 7:54:58 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
Sunshine, you might want to check out www.pearlmansjewelers.com and look at Pearlman''s Collection. They have a lot of one and three sided pave settings and the prices are a fraction of Michael B.
Thanks Dee Jay!! Yeah...I''m not actually going to buy an Michael B...just the style of the pave for a custom setting...

And I''ve spent more than my fair share of hours on the Pearlmans site :) Bill has emailed me a few times about settings...he is so helpful and nice! I would love to do business with him someday!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes Sunshine, Bill is SUCH a doll!!! I am SO wishing I had gotten my setting through him

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
I wonder if Bill would be able to get in a setting that he doesn''t usually carry (from his website it doesn''t look like he carries Renaissance Platinum...)

I know that Solomon Bros carries the line, but doesn''t have that one particular model I guess. Hmmm....

Here is a blurry pic I took with my phone of the Renaissance one...

DSC01804smaller.JPG

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
And here is the blurry side view. I can''t believe I didn''t take my real camera when I went! Obviously I''m not a true PS''er :)

DSC01803smaller.JPG

gail013

Shiny_Rock
Hi Sunshine-

I designed my ring using many different styles of the Renaissance Platinum line, as I thought they were beautiful. I did call and talk to the owner of RP, and he was willing to sell me the setting since no one here in Mpls carried the line. I ended up having the ring made for me instead of going that route, because it wasn''t exactly what I wanted, but he was very nice. Be prepared as their rings are quite pricey. You can reach him thru their website-I think he called me within a few hrs of getting my email.

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 6:34:59 PM
Author: gail013
Hi Sunshine-

I designed my ring using many different styles of the Renaissance Platinum line, as I thought they were beautiful. I did call and talk to the owner of RP, and he was willing to sell me the setting since no one here in Mpls carried the line. I ended up having the ring made for me instead of going that route, because it wasn''t exactly what I wanted, but he was very nice. Be prepared as their rings are quite pricey. You can reach him thru their website-I think he called me within a few hrs of getting my email.
Hi Gail! I just checked out your setting and wow!! It is stunning! I can see the similarities between it and some pieces from Renaissance Platinum. Gorgeous!

I am also thinking of getting ERD to quote on doing something similar for me. I''ve read a lot of great things about his work here, so I may see what he can do for us.

I did notice that the Renaissance settings were quite expensive! Of course I only noticed it AFTER I fell in love haha! We are not in a rush, so hopefully something works out!

Thanks!

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
Well I finally received my strange little viewer in the mail, and these are the best pictures I could take with it! It didn''t have a proper holder, so it may be a little askew, but I still thought it was kind of fun!!

IMG_0632smaller.JPG

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
And the arrows!

smaller version arrows.JPG

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
cool pics sunshine..did you decide on a setting?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great pics sunshine, can''t wait to see which setting you chose!!!

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
31.gif
31.gif
Well I have decided to get the setting custom made and I should have some of the initial renderings later this week...so you will just have to wait!!

But it is definitely in the works!! I''m trying to be patient but man-oh-man is that tough!

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
I took a few more pictures...I hope no one minds
2.gif

IMG_0650smaller.JPG

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
Last one! I''m off this afternoon to send it off to the setter! Woo hoo!!

IMG_0677smaller.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results