shape
carat
color
clarity

Must knows when choosing a wedding band?

Gadabout44

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi PSers,

A year ago you guys contributed to helping me find an engagement ring. I was totally clueless and did not even possess the basic knowledge in shopping for a loose diamond and setting. It was probably the best purchase I've made. I truly believe I've gotten the best bang for the buck. To this day, I am still getting compliments for a job well done, and I am sure I've probably gotten some of my fiance's girlfriends jealous. I thank you all!

I've gotten engaged (back in May) and we are set to wed this October. I am now beginning my search for a wedding band (for her), of course now I wont have to decide on my own, she will be choosing with me. Except, before doing so, I wanted to check in with PS and see if there is anything I must know before purchasing one?

I purchased this platinum setting shown [here]; a 1.30 Carat round diamond sits on it. I believe JA has the matching band shown [here] this is what we're eyeing on because we think this is what we're suppose to purchase. I personally would love to get her the best looking wedding band available that will not grab the attention of the center diamond. I just dont know how to go about achieving that, so right now price is not an issue. We do not know if it is taboo to go with a non matching set, we're not sure if the band should be the same width; maybe thicker? And since her ring has a pave setting, is it not a good idea to consider a completely different style? Any information help, we could really use even just the bare basic on how to properly chose a wedding band to match the ring I've gotten for her.

Thank you

Last edited:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello! I remember your posts when you were getting the ring so well done on getting her a ring that makes her super happy and of course congratulations to you both on your engagement.
Looking at the setting, I can’t tell if there are any diamonds on the little donut at the bottom of the basket. The donut itself will make unlikely she can get a flush fit if that’s what she wants - any band will sit with a slight gap between it and the ering because of this. Many people like this gap (I do) because it makes it clear there’s two rings there not just one thick one. If there are diamonds on the donut, you will need to be careful they don’t eat whatever you put next to it, like literally wear into it or if it’s more diamonds, chip them (you can get a spacer which is a thin sacrificial ring to put between it and the wedding band if that’s the case).
The rest of it, there’s no right answer. To get a cohesive look, it’s often a good idea to get a band with the same width or height off the finger as the ering band. But even that isn’t a rule - there’s some gorgeous sets where the wedder is a lot thicker than the ering and it looks amazing. The rest is up to you - I’d sugest she go looking at jewellers and see what appeals. With a pave white metal ring like that, I personally love the look of a sleek rich yellow gold plain band, pipecut for preference. But plain white metal, a matching pave band or engraved, mokume gane or whatever, this is definitely an area there’s no rules but what your (her) eyes like. I tried 4 different styles before settling on a two-tone floral band for example.
I would suggest that she just goes looking. Once you have a style, then come back and we can suggest places that do that style best so you get the nicest version you can.
Also maybe consider, what ring will you wear? Does she/you want to match there at all?

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like there are diamonds on the donut. If that’s the case, then as foxinsox says, a wedding band won’t sit flush, and you’d need to be careful of damage.

I’m in the other camp, I don’t like a gap between rings. Personally, I think a band of the same width as the ER gives a lovely balanced look.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me, I’d go with a shaped wedding band to fit snuggly against the engagement ring.
I would stick to same or fractionally wider, same height wedding band.
Whether you go plain, diamond “sprinkles” or full diamond (that’s a half band I mean btw) to match is a taste thing.
If going with a diamond wedding band you could choose a different diamond cut.
Then again some people chose to use their birthstones in the wedding ring.
Many many many choices!

Gadabout44

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hello! I remember your posts when you were getting the ring so well done on getting her a ring that makes her super happy and of course congratulations to you both on your engagement.
Looking at the setting, I can’t tell if there are any diamonds on the little donut at the bottom of the basket. The donut itself will make unlikely she can get a flush fit if that’s what she wants - any band will sit with a slight gap between it and the ering because of this. Many people like this gap (I do) because it makes it clear there’s two rings there not just one thick one. If there are diamonds on the donut, you will need to be careful they don’t eat whatever you put next to it, like literally wear into it or if it’s more diamonds, chip them (you can get a spacer which is a thin sacrificial ring to put between it and the wedding band if that’s the case).
The rest of it, there’s no right answer. To get a cohesive look, it’s often a good idea to get a band with the same width or height off the finger as the ering band. But even that isn’t a rule - there’s some gorgeous sets where the wedder is a lot thicker than the ering and it looks amazing. The rest is up to you - I’d sugest she go looking at jewellers and see what appeals. With a pave white metal ring like that, I personally love the look of a sleek rich yellow gold plain band, pipecut for preference. But plain white metal, a matching pave band or engraved, mokume gane or whatever, this is definitely an area there’s no rules but what your (her) eyes like. I tried 4 different styles before settling on a two-tone floral band for example.
I would suggest that she just goes looking. Once you have a style, then come back and we can suggest places that do that style best so you get the nicest version you can.
Also maybe consider, what ring will you wear? Does she/you want to match there at all?

Hi Foxinsox,

Yes there is a little donut under the basket. It does have a total of 4 diamonds that loop around. Thank you for mentioning this to me. Shortly after this post, I reached out to JA. It turns out, the initial band I linked above is not the matching set. However it is similar (photos below)

unnamed.jpg
The good news is, I can purchase this band and JA mentioned I can return it within 30 day should we feel it does not meet our expectations.

We dont necessarily know what style we're looking for. I suppose we should just read and check out a few photos. However the matching straight band JA suggested does look decent. I thank you for your personal opinions and suggestions, we will definitely look into those ideas.

Looks like there are diamonds on the donut. If that’s the case, then as foxinsox says, a wedding band won’t sit flush, and you’d need to be careful of damage.

I’m in the other camp, I don’t like a gap between rings. Personally, I think a band of the same width as the ER gives a lovely balanced look.

Me, I’d go with a shaped wedding band to fit snuggly against the engagement ring.
I would stick to same or fractionally wider, same height wedding band.
Whether you go plain, diamond “sprinkles” or full diamond (that’s a half band I mean btw) to match is a taste thing.
If going with a diamond wedding band you could choose a different diamond cut.
Then again some people chose to use their birthstones in the wedding ring.
Many many many choices!

Thank you! One thing we were not sure of is having a wedding band that looks too similar to the ering. In this case, JA provided me a photo of the actual matching band, and now that we have a visual, it does look a bit too similar to her ering, I was hoping it would have something unique to set it apart, but nothing too drastic to the point where it no longer matches. I hope that made sense.

I believe our approach here is to order the matching ering, ask JA if they can suggest a spacer, and see if how we feel about it.

I would love to hear more suggestions and personal taste of the community, my fiance and I would love to look up all the ideas given.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results