shape
carat
color
clarity

Multiple pairs of studs worth it or no?

Would you purchase/use/keep multiple pairs of studs?

• The more the merrier, even if they're similar (shape/size) to each other!

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Variety is the spice of life - I would keep different shapes or sizes, but not two of the same style

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • One pair to rule them all

Votes: 27 38.6%

• Total voters
Are we talking diamond studs or... All studs?

I have only two pairs of diamond studs - 5.4cwt and 0.1ctw. For me it's worth having both, as I wear both fairly frequently!

I do have several pairs of pearl and gemstone studs. I never wear the gemstones. I wear the pearls more than the diamonds these days. And I'm just recently getting #into "fancy" studs (that are more than a single stone on a post :lol:)... I'm not sure where these will fall in my wardrobe TBH, but I look forward to finding out :bigsmile:

@RunningwithScissors I love the Victoria for you too. Classic with just the right hint of intrigue. They seem very "you", from what I know about your style ::)

I was referring to diamond studs! If I look at multi-stone studs (what Indians call tops) I have several :oops2:

I think 5.4 and 0.1 are actually great sizes because they’re serving such different purposes - the 0.1 is basically for a second piercing, I would guess. Do you think you would wear diamond studs in the 2.6-3ctw category? Which is the equivalent size for your collection (something at the halfway mark between the two pairs you have).

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 4 pair and wear a pair of studs pretty much every day and wear all of them.
I have 2 pair of bezel set 1 ctw. One pair in yellow and one in rose gold.
then I have a pair of ACAs 1.9 ctw set in white 8 prong martinis
And a pair of 1.9ish set in yellow 8 prong martinis.
I wear all metal colors so I like having studs in all 3 colors.
they are all MRBs.
if you only wear one metal color then I’d probably stick with two pair of different sizes or different settings.
I tend to wear the smaller bezel set ones when I want the metal color to show more.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have two pairs of diamond studs. My first pair are SI2s..H color..1.90 ctw. They’re eye clean and pretty. I had a mind clean thing where it bothered me that they are SI2s. I longed for 3 carat studs higher clarity studs. I purchased VVS2 G 3.04 color studs. I went nuts on clarity because it was a big jump from SI2s. They are so beautiful. I learned from here that SI2s that are eye clean are great. I got over that mind clean thing. I had David reset the 1.90ctw studs into a pretty bezel setting so I could wear them in jackets. I wear them alone when I need to be a little understated. I also have a 1ctw pair of moissanite that I wear when I really want to be understated. I think multiples of the same shape can be great if you have opportunities to wear them for different settings. I also have a pair of halo princess studs. I enjoy them all.

Lucy-In-The-Sky

Rough_Rock
I like having some options, so I think it's worth it.

Currently, I have 2 pair of diamond studs. A smaller pair of OMCs (.84 ctw) for travel and situation where I don't feel comfortable wearing major bling & my collet-set OMCs (2.45 ctw).

I'm considering adding a pair of fancy yellow diamond studs at some point, if I can find the right ones. My preference is for OEC/OMC, but I've been eyeing some yellow aschers from JbG. She also has a pair of fancy yellow OECs I'm considering.

I dream about having a big honking' pair of OECs or OMC studs (~4-5ctw) someday.

I used to have a pair of MRB studs which I never really wore. They now belong to my sister, who happily wears them.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
These earrings are the perfect solution to your dilemma :D

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was referring to diamond studs! If I look at multi-stone studs (what Indians call tops) I have several :oops2:

I think 5.4 and 0.1 are actually great sizes because they’re serving such different purposes - the 0.1 is basically for a second piercing, I would guess. Do you think you would wear diamond studs in the 2.6-3ctw category? Which is the equivalent size for your collection (something at the halfway mark between the two pairs you have).
Nope. I wouldn't. I would always reach for either bigger or smaller - you're right on, the extremes are better for me because they serve very different purposes.

I have only one piercing per ear. If I had two I think the babies would live in the second hole ::)

I have 4 pair and wear a pair of studs pretty much every day and wear all of them.
I have 2 pair of bezel set 1 ctw. One pair in yellow and one in rose gold.
then I have a pair of ACAs 1.9 ctw set in white 8 prong martinis
And a pair of 1.9ish set in yellow 8 prong martinis.
I wear all metal colors so I like having studs in all 3 colors.
they are all MRBs.
if you only wear one metal color then I’d probably stick with two pair of different sizes or different settings.
I tend to wear the smaller bezel set ones when I want the metal color to show more.

Wow! I end up wearing mostly WG and YG jewelry so that makes me wonder if I get OECs whether I would want them in YG and that would be another form of distinction!

I have two pairs of diamond studs. My first pair are SI2s..H color..1.90 ctw. They’re eye clean and pretty. I had a mind clean thing where it bothered me that they are SI2s. I longed for 3 carat studs higher clarity studs. I purchased VVS2 G 3.04 color studs. I went nuts on clarity because it was a big jump from SI2s. They are so beautiful. I learned from here that SI2s that are eye clean are great. I got over that mind clean thing. I had David reset the 1.90ctw studs into a pretty bezel setting so I could wear them in jackets. I wear them alone when I need to be a little understated. I also have a 1ctw pair of moissanite that I wear when I really want to be understated. I think multiples of the same shape can be great if you have opportunities to wear them for different settings. I also have a pair of halo princess studs. I enjoy them all.

Oh wow you have so many pairs of studs! Yeah it does seem like having another pair could work in the mix for some people, I have to see whether they work for me. If it was yet another different shape to my two existing pairs I think it would be easier for me to justify it to myself. But if I do another pair of studs it’ll have to be OECs imo especially since the ering is going to be an OEC for sure. So the jury is still out!

I like having some options, so I think it's worth it.

Currently, I have 2 pair of diamond studs. A smaller pair of OMCs (.84 ctw) for travel and situation where I don't feel comfortable wearing major bling & my collet-set OMCs (2.45 ctw).

I'm considering adding a pair of fancy yellow diamond studs at some point, if I can find the right ones. My preference is for OEC/OMC, but I've been eyeing some yellow aschers from JbG. She also has a pair of fancy yellow OECs I'm considering.

I dream about having a big honking' pair of OECs or OMC studs (~4-5ctw) someday.

I used to have a pair of MRB studs which I never really wore. They now belong to my sister, who happily wears them.

if I get a vote - you HAVE to go for the fancy yellow OECs! Those will look so utterly stunning :kiss2::kiss2:

These earrings are the perfect solution to your dilemma :D

Those earrings are so pretty, but I think looking at them on the model’s ear has made me realise I can’t do a single solitaire drop! At least not one in this size range, which is the range I would be considering - I’m not a fan of the look, I feel like it sort of disguises the size of the stud. Or at least it would on my enormous ears. So I think it has to be studs :/

Nope. I wouldn't. I would always reach for either bigger or smaller - you're right on, the extremes are better for me because they serve very different purposes.

I have only one piercing per ear. If I had two I think the babies would live in the second hole ::)

if you ever feel tempted towards a second piercing, I think the babies would look wonderful in them! :)

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I forgot to mention that I do have three lobe piercings in each ear and a cartilage piercing as well. I have two sets of teeny diamond studs for the top holes, and put in tiny studs or huggies sometimes. Usually just one set of studs though on workdays.

When I was young and punky I had orbital piercings through the top two holes in each lobe and never changed them out for years. Just a hoop going through the two holes. It looked like the pic below but mine were basic surgical steel.

F5DAAF1B-CBC9-4E24-8DE4-B57F73C25D7D.jpeg

Oh I forgot to mention that I do have three lobe piercings in each ear and a cartilage piercing as well. I have two sets of teeny diamond studs for the top holes, and put in tiny studs or huggies sometimes. Usually just one set of studs though on workdays.

When I was young and punky I had orbital piercings through the top two holes in each lobe and never changed them out for years. Just a hoop going through the two holes. It looked like the pic below but mine were basic surgical steel.

F5DAAF1B-CBC9-4E24-8DE4-B57F73C25D7D.jpeg

I love this style of threading a single hoop through two holes!!

As an update on the poll:

1) More the merrier - 7 votes
2) Variety is the spice of life - 20 votes
3) One pair to rule them all - 19 votes

I’m surprised that over 40% of PSers would only want a single pair of studs! Though I think PSers tend to love rings best, and want multiples of those, so it isn’t toooo surprising.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m bumping this thread because I’m thinking of getting a small pair of diamond studs to replace my travel moissanite studs I gave to a friend. I think moissanite is beautiful but I have a mind clean thing about studs being moissanite..I really wish I didn’t. Anyway……. I wrote above that I already have a beautiful pair of 3.04 ctw G VVS2 studs that I wear almost daily..I mentioned above that I also have my first studs..1.90 SI2s..H color..completely eye clean. I sent them off to David Klass who made beautiful bezel settings for them so I could wear them with my jackets. These aren’t certified but they have been appraised by a number of appraisers during the years as being SI2 H color. They sparkle a lot..especially in store lighting. I had my daughter-in-law wear them when we went shopping so I could see what they looked like as an observer. Well..David came back to say on the appraisal he adds to the package when he sends your finished jewelry back…that one of the diamonds was a Yehuda. :eek2: No other appraiser has mentioned that...I asked him to clarify in email but he didn’t answer..probably because he knew I was upset. So..I was able to get over the fact that they are uncerted SI2s..I can’t seem to shake the mind clean aspect of one of them being a Yehuda diamond. I’m toying with selling them..or giving them to my daughter-in-law. I will go to an appraiser again to see what they say. I won’t mention Yehuda..I will see if that’s what they tell me..So..now I’m thinking of getting a pair of 1.5ctw studs for Christmas if my husband gives me my mad money present. Sorry to highjack this thread… I didn’t want to start a new one. Any suggestions?
To comment on this thread. I think a bigger difference in size between two pairs would be great. I would definitely wear them a lot.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I’m bumping this thread because I’m thinking of getting a small pair of diamond studs to replace my travel moissanite studs I gave to a friend. I think moissanite is beautiful but I have a mind clean thing about studs being moissanite..I really wish I didn’t. Anyway……. I wrote above that I already have a beautiful pair of 3.04 ctw G VVS2 studs that I wear almost daily..I mentioned above that I also have my first studs..1.90 SI2s..H color..completely eye clean. I sent them off to David Klass who made beautiful bezel settings for them so I could wear them with my jackets. These aren’t certified but they have been appraised by a number of appraisers during the years as being SI2 H color. They sparkle a lot..especially in store lighting. I had my daughter-in-law wear them when we went shopping so I could see what they looked like as an observer. Well..David came back to say on the appraisal he adds to the package when he sends your finished jewelry back…that one of the diamonds was a Yehuda. :eek2: No other appraiser has mentioned that...I asked him to clarify in email but he didn’t answer..probably because he knew I was upset. So..I was able to get over the fact that they are uncerted SI2s..I can’t seem to shake the mind clean aspect of one of them being a Yehuda diamond. I’m toying with selling them..or giving them to my daughter-in-law. I will go to an appraiser again to see what they say. I won’t mention Yehuda..I will see if that’s what they tell me..So..now I’m thinking of getting a pair of 1.5ctw studs for Christmas if my husband gives me my mad money present. Sorry to highjack this thread… I didn’t want to start a new one. Any suggestions?
To comment on this thread. I think a bigger difference in size between two pairs would be great. I would definitely wear them a lot.

JMO but I can't think of a time I'd bypass the 1.90 ctw studs in favor of wearing the 1.5ctw studs and they aren't hugely different in size anyway. So I guess I'd only get the newer, smaller ones if I did plan to get rid of the larger ones over the mind clean issue.

Also, if you are used to wearing 3 ctw studs almost daily, I'd think you might be underwhelmed by 1.5 ctw.

So I guess what I'd go with is just if you think you'd get enough wear out of them to get them instead of any other jewelry piece you could get with the money.

Personally, I have a pair of 2 ctw CZ sterling silver studs that are one of my go-to pairs. Fakie earrings are great for me because I am so good at losing them. I really like not having to worry about them.

I might get a couple more pairs, whether different sizes, shapes and metal colors. Of course it's not too big of a decision with fakies. But even then, I might not wear the others enough to bother.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I haven’t read through the whole thread but will answer the original question: for me, I wear studs every single day, so the more the merrier!

I actually have THREE pairs.
—2.22 ctw CBI studs, eight prong umbrella setting.
—2 ctw VC CER studs in bezels (visually the same diameter as the CBIs b/c of the bezels). I alternate these two daily and love that the stones are different cuts.
—My original pair of studs that I really don’t wear anymore but will never get rid of as they are incredibly sentimental. 1.2 ctw, martini setting.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven’t read through the whole thread but will answer the original question: for me, I wear studs every single day, so the more the merrier!

I actually have THREE pairs.
—2.22 ctw CBI studs, eight prong umbrella setting.
—2 ctw VC CER studs in bezels (visually the same diameter as the CBIs b/c of the bezels). I alternate these two daily and love that the stones are different cuts.
—My original pair of studs that I really don’t wear anymore but will never get rid of as they are incredibly sentimental. 1.2 ctw, martini setting.

My brain isn’t working this morning. I think VC is Victor Canera but what are CER studs?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
JMO but I can't think of a time I'd bypass the 1.90 ctw studs in favor of wearing the 1.5ctw studs and they aren't hugely different in size anyway. So I guess I'd only get the newer, smaller ones if I did plan to get rid of the larger ones over the mind clean issue.

Also, if you are used to wearing 3 ctw studs almost daily, I'd think you might be underwhelmed by 1.5 ctw.

So I guess what I'd go with is just if you think you'd get enough wear out of them to get them instead of any other jewelry piece you could get with the money.

Personally, I have a pair of 2 ctw CZ sterling silver studs that are one of my go-to pairs. Fakie earrings are great for me because I am so good at losing them. I really like not having to worry about them.

I might get a couple more pairs, whether different sizes, shapes and metal colors. Of course it's not too big of a decision with fakies. But even then, I might not wear the others enough to bother.

Thank you @seaurchin..I actually would go to 1ctw for the new studs because I love a large difference in sizes. I just have to make sure they fit nicely in my diamond jackets. I think I would get a lot of wear out of a smaller pair. I may do what @Tonks does and just keep my mutt studs….but not wear them much.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have one piercing in each ear. My studs are 2.29 tcw ACAs, 1.14 and 1.15. I wear them every day. They are large enough to be noticed and serve me well for dress up too. I bought a size, color and clarity that I thought I would wear every day and I do! I am not a multiples person so can’t be bothered with small, large etc. I like to keep it simple - lol!!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have one piercing in each ear. My studs are 2.29 tcw ACAs, 1.14 and 1.15. I wear them every day. They are large enough to be noticed and serve me well for dress up too. I bought a size, color and clarity that I thought I would wear every day and I do! I am not a multiples person so can’t be bothered with small, large etc. I like to keep it simple - lol!!

I’m like that with my other earrings! I keep going back to studs. Then I feel guilty so I try to wear the others..Haha!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
My brain isn’t working this morning. I think VC is Victor Canera but what are CER studs?

Canera European Rounds. They’re newly cut OECs.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Canera European Rounds. They’re newly cut OECs.

Do you have photos of them here somewhere? I would love to see them!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have photos of them here somewhere? I would love to see them!

I am a bad PSer and have not done a SMTB specifically on these, but there are photos floating around. Let me see if I can find one specifically.

My lack of a SMTB is reflective of my own busyness, not my lack of being thrilled with these studs. I absolutely love them.

F8F963FB-4ED8-469C-B694-E742A05FF0AC.jpeg
Macro shot of CER.

C7A58356-3921-495F-8D5E-FF5E4A7A8564.jpeg
CERs on left, CBIs on right.

50EE95C1-BFD2-49A3-9683-9C1B50E42B65.jpeg
CERs.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am a bad PSer and have not done a SMTB specifically on these, but there are photos floating around. Let me see if I can find one specifically.

My lack of a SMTB is reflective of my own busyness, not my lack of being thrilled with these studs. I absolutely love them.

F8F963FB-4ED8-469C-B694-E742A05FF0AC.jpeg
Macro shot of CER.

C7A58356-3921-495F-8D5E-FF5E4A7A8564.jpeg
CERs on left, CBIs on right.

50EE95C1-BFD2-49A3-9683-9C1B50E42B65.jpeg
CERs.

They’re beautiful @Tonks! Thank you!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m like that with my other earrings! I keep going back to studs. Then I feel guilty so I try to wear the others..Haha!

Exactly! That is the problem with multiples. You end up feeling bad because some don’t get worn often. My other thing is the insurance - I don’t want to pay for insurance on multiple pairs - especially if I don’t wear them often. So I try to buy what I think will work for me in terms of size, color and clarity and insure them so I can wear them without worry. I am probably an outlier in this respect but that is how I choose.

To update everyone on here since the thread got bumped - I ended up buying a pair of 4ctw OP VS OECs prong set solitaire earrings because they became available at a decent price! I thought to myself that they are visually distinct enough from my 3ctw I VS halo studs. Since I’ve gotten them I actually ended up neglecting my 3ctw for quite some time but I’m travelling now so I have the 3ctw with me again :D

I am not sure if over time it will make sense to maintain three separate pairs (EC, 3ctw MRB and 4ctw OEC) but we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
To update everyone on here since the thread got bumped - I ended up buying a pair of 4ctw OP VS OECs prong set solitaire earrings because they became available at a decent price! I thought to myself that they are visually distinct enough from my 3ctw I VS halo studs. Since I’ve gotten them I actually ended up neglecting my 3ctw for quite some time but I’m travelling now so I have the 3ctw with me again :D

I am not sure if over time it will make sense to maintain three separate pairs (EC, 3ctw MRB and 4ctw OEC) but we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Oh I bet the oecs are glimmery and gorgeous this time of year! That’s what I would want, if I had one piercing per lobe, one pair to rule all.

Oh I bet the oecs are glimmery and gorgeous this time of year! That’s what I would want, if I had one piercing per lobe, one pair to rule all.

They throw lovely warm fiery sparkles and I love them! The faceting on those stones is just :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: I know that OECs are recommended for studs and my MRBs do kind of outperform them I’m not going to lie, but I love them anyway!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

I’m so happy to hear your update @AllAboardTheBlingTrain! You have to post some ear shots! My smilies aren’t working for some reason..but imagine me very excited to see them!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results