shape
carat
color
clarity

Multiple pairs of studs worth it or no?

Would you purchase/use/keep multiple pairs of studs?

• The more the merrier, even if they're similar (shape/size) to each other!

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Variety is the spice of life - I would keep different shapes or sizes, but not two of the same style

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • One pair to rule them all

Votes: 27 38.6%

• Total voters
Just wondering how people feel about studs... I am such an earrings person, have so many pairs, including one pair of diamond studs (typical MRB in halo). I also recently picked up a pair of (much smaller) EC studs for travel and to indulge my love of emerald cuts.

Over the last year or so I have fallen in love with OECs, so much so that my future e-ring is likely to be an OEC, and now I am wondering if I also want to get a pair of OEC studs? They'll go on the wishlist, for now, so I wont be buying them any time soon, but just contemplating whether multiple pairs of earrings are a waste, or if the fact that these earrings, though also rounds, will be smaller than my current studs AND solitaire instead of halo AND OEC instead of MRB which makes them different enough that I'll reach for both.

What would you do?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Really depends on your wear habits.

I don't think they'd be different enough for me. However, I am not in the camp of diamond studs are a staple either. They aren't for me.

However, it sounds like you think you'd wear them all. I can say that if I have earrings of the same style, I go for the biggest ones I have and the smaller usually don't get worn personally.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I'm a fan of studs. I had 1 ctw (.5 ct each) studs for about 20 years and I wore them almost every day.

I recently upgraded to 3.8 ctw (1.9 ct each) ACA studs and I adore them! However, they are large/blingy enough that there are times when they appropriate to wear. I wish I had a second, smaller pair of studs too. I know I would get wear out of both my large and a small pair.

So I'm actively saving for a small pair of studs to wear on occasions that call for the more understated look (from travel, to the gym, to some of my field work, etc.)

I'm either going to buy 1.2 ctw (.6 ct each) ACA's, or I'm going to buy Tiffany Victoria studs in either small or medium size (I've tried on both and both are far less blingy than my big ACA studs.). I'm leaning toward the medium Victoria studs just because they will be a different shape than my RB studs. I find the Victoria line very feminine and pretty.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Since you don't plan to buy more diamond studs for some time anyway, maybe OEC CZ or moissanite earrings would scratch the itch for now. (If you get some, let us seeee!)

Last edited:
Really depends on your wear habits.

I don't think they'd be different enough for me. However, I am not in the camp of diamond studs are a staple either. They aren't for me.

However, it sounds like you think you'd wear them all. I can say that if I have earrings of the same style, I go for the biggest ones I have and the smaller usually don't get worn personally.

Tbh I don’t know that studs are a staple for me either, because I don’t wear them everyday, but I love them to distraction and I’ll go through periods where I wear them every day and then put them away for weeks on end. But that’s what makes me wonder… I already have a smaller pair of studs now in a completely different cut. Are the OECs different enough to the MRBs to justify what is essentially three pairs of studs??

Since you don't plan to buy more diamond studs for some time anyway, maybe OEC CZ or moissanite earrings would scratch the itch for now. (If you get some, let us seeee!)

this is a great idea! I think buying some CZs might help me decide if I want to put money towards more studs or save it towards something else on my burgeoning list, haha. Thank you!

I'm a fan of studs. I had 1 ctw (.5 ct each) studs for about 20 years and I wore them almost every day.

I recently upgraded to 3.8 ctw (1.9 ct each) ACA studs and I adore them! However, they are large/blingy enough that there are times when they appropriate to wear. I wish I had a second, smaller pair of studs too. I know I would get wear out of both my large and a small pair.

So I'm actively saving for a small pair of studs to wear on occasions that call for the more understated look (from travel, to the gym, to some of my field work, etc.)

I'm either going to buy 1.2 ctw (.6 ct each) ACA's, or I'm going to buy Tiffany Victoria studs in either small or medium size (I've tried on both and both are far less blingy than my big ACA studs.). I'm leaning toward the medium Victoria studs just because they will be a different shape than my RB studs. I find the Victoria line very feminine and pretty.

My ECs are reserved for occasions like gym and travel, I don’t like to wear big earrings while exercising but I feel naked with nothing on. I just wonder if an “in between” size is necessary - my ECs and my MRBs are actually very similar ctw to your two pairs (0.8ctw and 3ctw respectively, and if I buy OECs, they’ll be in the 1.5-1.7ctw range).

Though your idea of the Victoria is also cool. I would probably not go for the Victoria as I don’t like the four Marquis, but essentially a small cluster or flower stud could be lovely and different from what I already have! Thank you!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or get OEC moissanite of the size you want and see how much you wear them

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I do have 2 pairs of RB studs, the smaller pair I wear with jackets most of the time. The larger pair is also set differently-bezel set as opposed to prong set.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have one pair of diamond studs and really don't have much of a need for others. I don't wear mine everyday. I do have a few smaller pairs of studs that I have bought for my girls, and I really have not ever had the desire to wear them. I personally wouldn't get OECs for earrings because getting a good match is far harder with those. Plus they often face up smaller than modern ideal cuts. If I were in your shoes, I'd wait and see if you end up getting an OEC as your main ring and then decide if you really want an OEC pair. Or do as others suggested and get simulants and see if you really wear them enough to justify them.

@RunningwithScissors I think the medium Victoria earrings would be a fabulous second and more understated pair of earrings! I really like the large ones, too, but I'd have to have those custom made at the price T is asking!

Last edited:

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I have a pair of 1tcw studs I wear every day and a larger pair of 2tctw that I wear when I am dressing up. I wear them and my small diamond hoops the most of any of my earrings, probably 90% of the time! So even though I love earrings I have to remind myself that I reach for my 2 sets of studs or the hoops almost all the time.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
It’s funny I’d never simulants, it’s a mind clean thing for me. I’d get no joy out of it and they'd never be worn

but I think I’d wear diamond studs. If you think you’d wear them, I’d get them. It really depends on your wear habits.

for example, I wear lots of huggie hoops and I could easily own 3-5 pairs in different sizes and colors. I own two pairs, and am saving for a third. One mini palladium pair, one small palladium pair, and I’m hoping to get a medium sized pair in rose gold

Or get OEC moissanite of the size you want and see how much you wear them

I might just do this, but it feels weird to buy moissanite - like CZs seem more “acceptable” for jewelry to try out if that makes any sense. But it’s a good idea to buy CZs or moissanites just to see if I will wear them at all.

It’s funny I’d never simulants, it’s a mind clean thing for me. I’d get no joy out of it and they'd never be worn

but I think I’d wear diamond studs. If you think you’d wear them, I’d get them. It really depends on your wear habits.

for example, I wear lots of huggie hoops and I could easily own 3-5 pairs in different sizes and colors. I own two pairs, and am saving for a third. One mini palladium pair, one small palladium pair, and I’m hoping to get a medium sized pair in rose gold

I don’t have an issue with simulants, but I’m just debating back and forth about whether I’ll wear multiple types and pairs enough to justify the outlay. Maybe the solution is to give myself a billion piercings lol. The other way to think about it (no stop it don’t talk yourself into it) is to have a pair for gym/travel (the smallest), an in-between pair for daily wear, and my biggest ones for dressing up. So I could conceivably get use out of three pairs…

I have a pair of 1tcw studs I wear every day and a larger pair of 2tctw that I wear when I am dressing up. I wear them and my small diamond hoops the most of any of my earrings, probably 90% of the time! So even though I love earrings I have to remind myself that I reach for my 2 sets of studs or the hoops almost all the time.

I actually don’t wear studs often, mostly when I dress up. I only have one other pair of earrings that are super dressy. Everything else is quite casual. So that’s the dilemma. But I can definitely see how to make them work in my wardrobe, it’s just a question of wearing them enough!

I do have 2 pairs of RB studs, the smaller pair I wear with jackets most of the time. The larger pair is also set differently-bezel set as opposed to prong set.

Weirdly enough my bigger pair of rounds are the ones set with a halo. The smaller pair, if I buy, I’ll keep as a solitaire set. My other pair are ECs and much smaller, so they are different “enough”. I guess I need to think about how much I’ll wear daily wear studs since I have a bunch of earrings. Thanks for weighing in!

I have one pair of diamond studs and really don't have much of a need for others. I don't wear mine everyday. I do have a few smaller pairs of studs that I have bought for my girls, and I really have not ever had the desire to wear them. I personally wouldn't get OECs for earrings because getting a good match is far harder with those. Plus they often face up smaller than modern ideal cuts. If I were in your shoes, I'd wait and see if you end up getting an OEC as your main ring and then decide if you really want an OEC pair. Or do as others suggested and get simulants and see if you really wear them enough to justify them.

@RunningwithScissors I think the medium Victoria earrings would be a fabulous second and more understated pair of earrings! I really like the large ones, too, but I'd have to have those custom made at the price T is asking!

I think this is a great idea - to not get ahead of myself, and wait and see what my e-ring will be! If I end up with an EC (the other possibility) I feel like OECs might “clash” and then I’ll never wear them .

The hassle of matching them and making sure they look good in the ears is a whole different ballgame, though I’m sure I’d enjoy the hunt.

Thanks for weighing in!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guilty as charged in that i have quite a few pairs of stud earrings in different size and styles.

I have a weakness for earrings.

DK :))

Guilty as charged in that i have quite a few pairs of stud earrings in different size and styles.

I have a weakness for earrings.

DK :))

I too have a weakness for earrings! It’s a problem because I can’t possibly wear them all at the same time :D

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
So, I have my MRB studs (1.15 ct each). And I thought I missed my old studs so I bought a pair of OEC studs in a smaller size - similar to my old studs. I really regret it - I never reach for them. In fact, I need to list them on preloved!!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I have two pairs of studs.

My first are a pair my parents gave me when I graduated high school. I think they're just under .50tcw. I rarely wear them these days.
My second pair are also small by Pricescope standards. They're 1.40tcw ACA's, so .70ct each.
I have very long hair so you can't even see them unless I'm wearing a bun/ponytail.

If I could do it again, I'd rather get a pair of diamond hoops than studs. In fact, those are going to be my next jewelry purchase.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking because your current earrings are in a halo setting OEC studs will be a different enough look. You just have to think through if you'll find yourself reaching for the smaller pair.

Last edited:

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
I have 3 pair of studs, all modest by PS standards, but luckily I have smaller lobes:
- 0.88tcw OEC's in WG martini settings
- 0.66tcw MRB's in YG semi-bezel settings (a beautiful Whiteflash pre-made set)
- 1.0tcw MRB's in YG martini settings from Lightbox

I wear the OEC's and the semi-bezel MRB's a lot, and I'm thinking about selling the Lightbox studs because they almost never get worn. And I wear tiny YG or WG huggies in the second piercings, and change the color according to whichever studs I'm wearing.

Rhd3

Shiny_Rock
I have MRB, halo, and OEC studs. In my opinion, they have very different personalities. My MRB get the most wear. I tend to wear my OECs on overcast days or in low lighting because I like the way they glow under those conditions. I save my halo studs for special occasions/dress. If I love a pair of earrings and I can find a purpose for them, then I'm happy to add them to my collection. :)

So, I have my MRB studs (1.15 ct each). And I thought I missed my old studs so I bought a pair of OEC studs in a smaller size - similar to my old studs. I really regret it - I never reach for them. In fact, I need to list them on preloved!!

My worry is that if I do buy OECs I won’t reach for them! Though I suppose I could always repurpose them at that point into a different piece of jewelry. But still… seems like a waste unless I’m really sure.

I have two pairs of studs.

My first are a pair my parents gave me when I graduated high school. I think they're just under .50tcw. I rarely wear them these days.
My second pair are also small by Pricescope standards. They're 1.40tcw ACA's, so .70ct each.
I have very long hair so you can't even see them unless I'm wearing a bun/ponytail.

If I could do it again, I'd rather get a pair of diamond hoops than studs. In fact, those are going to be my next jewelry purchase.

oooh diamond hoops. Those could also be beautiful. I do love hoops! I have a small pair of huggies already but hoops could be a fun addition to the wardrobe.
I'm thinking because your current earrings are in a halo setting OEC studs will be a different enough look. You just have to think through if you'll find yourself reaching for the smaller pair.

That’s actually what my thought was as well, that solitaire and halo studs both look different from each other. It’s a good question - I think I need to pay more attention to my own jewelry habits. Are there enough occasions where I don’t wear my current studs because they’re too big? If yes then the OECs could be nice. I guess I need to pay more attention, like I said!

I have 3 pair of studs, all modest by PS standards, but luckily I have smaller lobes:
- 0.88tcw OEC's in WG martini settings
- 0.66tcw MRB's in YG semi-bezel settings (a beautiful Whiteflash pre-made set)
- 1.0tcw MRB's in YG martini settings from Lightbox

I wear the OEC's and the semi-bezel MRB's a lot, and I'm thinking about selling the Lightbox studs because they almost never get worn. And I wear tiny YG or WG huggies in the second piercings, and change the color according to whichever studs I'm wearing.

I find it interesting that the ones that get worn th least are the biggest ones! I have rather big ears so I would actually love to get even bigger studs than the ones I already have. But bigger ones will be exceedingly expensive, and I don’t want to sink money into them. But that does make me think that I may not reach for the in between size. If I really want OECs I might want a different style than straight studs. I need to think about it!!

I have MRB, halo, and OEC studs. In my opinion, they have very different personalities. My MRB get the most wear. I tend to wear my OECs on overcast days or in low lighting because I like the way they glow under those conditions. I save my halo studs for special occasions/dress. If I love a pair of earrings and I can find a purpose for them, then I'm happy to add them to my collection. :)

Ooh this is valuable feedback, thank you! Great to know you acrually have and wear both MRBs and OECs. I think I need to figure out whether I can find a purpose for the OECs before I get serious about looking for a pair.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I might just do this, but it feels weird to buy moissanite - like CZs seem more “acceptable” for jewelry to try out if that makes any sense. But it’s a good idea to buy CZs or moissanites just to see if I will wear them at all.

I don’t have an issue with simulants, but I’m just debating back and forth about whether I’ll wear multiple types and pairs enough to justify the outlay. Maybe the solution is to give myself a billion piercings lol. The other way to think about it (no stop it don’t talk yourself into it) is to have a pair for gym/travel (the smallest), an in-between pair for daily wear, and my biggest ones for dressing up. So I could conceivably get use out of three pairs…

I actually don’t wear studs often, mostly when I dress up. I only have one other pair of earrings that are super dressy. Everything else is quite casual. So that’s the dilemma. But I can definitely see how to make them work in my wardrobe, it’s just a question of wearing them enough!

i was gonna say get multible piercings
i have 3 pairs of regular ear piercings
it can be hard work getting it all to co-ordinate
so i personality need more, not less

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

I had similar dilemma myself after I got my OEC ring. I have MRB studs and I toyed with the idea of getting smaller OEC studs to "match" my ring.

In the end, I decided that I like to rotate my earrings too often and a pair of smaller round OEC studs would just get lost in the mix. I just don't wear simple studs often enough to justify getting another pair. I'm going to use those funds towards another old cut ring or, perhaps, an old cut bracelet instead. However, I could justify a pair of old cut drop earrings :bigsmile:

i was gonna say get multible piercings
i have 3 pairs of regular ear piercings
it can be hard work getting it all to co-ordinate
so i personality need more, not less

I wouldn’t be able to wear all the studs together though, my planned sizes are (each stud) 0.4, 0.8 and 1.5. So it would look a bit funny. I have two piercings in my ears already, but I could add a third, even if not for the studs…

I had similar dilemma myself after I got my OEC ring. I have MRB studs and I toyed with the idea of getting smaller OEC studs to "match" my ring.

In the end, I decided that I like to rotate my earrings too often and a pair of smaller round OEC studs would just get lost in the mix. I just don't wear simple studs often enough to justify getting another pair. I'm going to use those funds towards another old cut ring or, perhaps, an old cut bracelet instead. However, I could justify a pair of old cut drop earrings :bigsmile:

You capture my concern exactly, I’m afraid a pair of smaller OECs will get lost in the mix. I guess drop earrings could be a solution? I don’t really wear too many rings, I’m not a ring person. I like them, but I plan to have one ering and one RHR, with some extras for occasions. Food for thought, thank you!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn’t be able to wear all the studs together though, my planned sizes are (each stud) 0.4, 0.8 and 1.5. So it would look a bit funny. I have two piercings in my ears already, but I could add a third, even if not for the studs…

yes add a 3rd ! :appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl:
then i can take style tips from you ;)2
i did find the 3rd one hurt the most
im definatly too chicken to get any more

(And Bruce Springsteen only has 3 so im done:lol-2:)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have three each ear. I got tired of taking them out and cleaning them all the time.

yes add a 3rd ! :appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl:
then i can take style tips from you ;)2
i did find the 3rd one hurt the most
im definatly too chicken to get any more

(And Bruce Springsteen only has 3 so im done:lol-2:)

I’ve gone back and forth on the third for a long time! If I do get it though I’ll tell you. I think I’d do a tiny stud on the highest piercing, a tiny Huggie on the second piercing, and then whatever earring I want on the main!

I have three each ear. I got tired of taking them out and cleaning them all the time.

I take off my earrings before sleep and wear them in the morning. So I should be ok - just have to add another pair to my cleaning routine (about once a week, I need to be more diligent!)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are we talking diamond studs or... All studs?

I have only two pairs of diamond studs - 5.4cwt and 0.1ctw. For me it's worth having both, as I wear both fairly frequently!

I do have several pairs of pearl and gemstone studs. I never wear the gemstones. I wear the pearls more than the diamonds these days. And I'm just recently getting #into "fancy" studs (that are more than a single stone on a post :lol:)... I'm not sure where these will fall in my wardrobe TBH, but I look forward to finding out :bigsmile:

@RunningwithScissors I love the Victoria for you too. Classic with just the right hint of intrigue. They seem very "you", from what I know about your style ::)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results