shape
carat
color
clarity

msop04, physicians, people knowledgeable about the immune system?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi. :))

I am going to get the shingles vaccine tomorrow. My aunt, who is in her 90's, got it and had a very bad reaction to it. She had to be put on prednisone and didn't have a second dose which she was supposed to get because of her reaction to the first dose. (I do not know if all shingles vaccines come in two doses.) I believe that some other people she knew had also been put on prednisone due to reactions to the vaccination.

I have never been afraid of vaccinations, and intend to get this one, but I wondered if any of you who know about these things, can tell me how often people have bad reactions to this vaccine? I do not mean 'flu type symptoms, but uncontrollable itching.

I had a terrible case of chicken pox as a child, which is one reason I would prefer not to get shingles now. My mother always said that my brother would get one disease and then that I would get a less serious case of it, and vice versa. I believe in those days our pediatrician gave us a gamma globulin shot to lessen the strength of the disease that was going to hit.

At any rate, my brother was very sick with measles, and I got a milder a case. I got a terrible case of chicken pox and he got a milder case.

I am wondering what I am in for. Has anyone here had a shingles vaccination?

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
Hi AGBF,

I'm sorry your aunt had such a terrible reaction. I'm not in the groups of people listed above, but my H and I have both had the vaccine - we're under the age, but my doctor is very keen on it. My understanding is that 1 in 10 people have some reaction (although certainly not as severe as your aunt's), which is a fairly high rate. My H did have achey muscles, flu-like symptoms and a low grade temp the first night of dose 1 and he's never reacted a vaccine that way before, and then a similar but milder reaction to the second dose. I had a sore arm, but that was it--no other symptoms--and have my second dose next month.

Not fun, but WAY preferable to shingles...

I hope all goes well for you.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My H and I had both doses. He just got a sore arm, I got a sore arm and felt a bit fatigued the next day.

It seems we got off easy, judging from comments I've read on another forum where this topic was discussed, but truly awful reactions were not common among those who posted.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had the first Shingrix vaccine on August 31 this year. I'm immunosuppressed. I had a bad reaction, but was expecting that because of my health status. I will be getting the second one in November. Shingrix is the non-live vaccine, which is the only type I can get. I was told to take benadryl, which helped a lot, along with naproxen. I have an auto-inflammatory disease, and it sent me into a flare, which again, was likely to happen.

Not related to the vaccine, but due to my compromised immune system, I caught a cold almost immediately, which turned nasty upon nasty really quickly. I'm now on a strong antibiotic to try deal with the infection that ensued. How many times can I say, because of my immune system.

I am NOT sorry I got the vaccine, and will definitely get the second dose. I wish I could have isolated myself a bit more so I wouldn't have caught the cold, but 2 of my immediate family had it. My reaction isn't typical, and is rare, but I'm always the odd one out on these things. Take care of yourself before and after. Avoid sick people. Wash your hands. Hydrate! Maybe you will sail through this.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had the Zostavax (live) Shingles vaccine three years ago. My entire upper arm from shoulder to elbow got very swollen and extremely red and hot and painful. It lasted for weeks. Low grade fever for a day. I also had an unusual side effect of a strange metallic taste in my mouth that lasted for 8-9 months. Doctors couldn’t figure out why. I wouldn’t hesitate at all to get the newer Shingrix vaccine. I believe it requires two doses but isn’t the live weakened virus like Zostavax.

Last edited:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had the Zostavax (live) Shingles vaccine three years ago. My entire upper arm from shoulder to elbow got very swollen and extremely red and hot and painful. It lasted for weeks. Low grade fever for a day. I also had an unusual side effect of a strange metallic taste in my mouth that lasted for 8-9 months. Doctors couldn’t figure out why. I wouldn’t hesitate at all to get the newer Shingrix vaccine. I believe it requires two doses but isn’t the live weakened virus like Zostavax.

Yikes!!!

Thanks, Bonfire. :))

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had both shots. I know with the last one my arm really hurt for like a week. I pretty much slept the whole next day due to fatigue.
Other than that, I didnt have any major reaction.

MY MIL never had the vaccines even though she was over the age where she should have had it(I hate her Doc for this reason). She got shingles and
it was the start of a downhill spiral. She got it on her face so it was painful to talk. It was also around her eye area and hurt when she blinked.
She did not want to leave the house for over a month and fell into a depression. She never seemed to recover. Things just got worse and worse for her.
She is now in a retirement home sleeping most of the day. Not sure if all the downhill spiral would have happened with or without the shingles but I
blame it for the start of her downhill slide.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Deb, I have had chicken pox, shingles and all of the shingles shots for over 65 people, I would not wsh shingles on anyone (maybe trump ;-) ) I had no reaction to either of the vaccinations, be well Deb and perhaps because your aunt was in her 90s her reaction was bad? :)

Hi. :))
I am going to get the shingles vaccine tomorrow. My aunt, who is in her 90's, got it and had a very bad reaction to it. She had to be put on prednisone and didn't have a second dose which she was supposed to get because of her reaction to the first dose. (I do not know if all shingles vaccines come in two doses.) I believe that some other people she knew had also been put on prednisone due to reactions to the vaccination.

I have never been afraid of vaccinations, and intend to get this one, but I wondered if any of you who know about these things, can tell me how often people have bad reactions to this vaccine? I do not mean 'flu type symptoms, but uncontrollable itching.

I had a terrible case of chicken pox as a child, which is one reason I would prefer not to get shingles now. My mother always said that my brother would get one disease and then that I would get a less serious case of it, and vice versa. I believe in those days our pediatrician gave us a gamma globulin shot to lessen the strength of the disease that was going to hit.

At any rate, my brother was very sick with measles, and I got a milder a case. I got a terrible case of chicken pox and he got a milder case.

I am wondering what I am in for. Has anyone here had a shingles vaccination?

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom had chicken pox and shingles and has had the first of two shingles vaccines. She said that her doctor told her that they are only about 50% effective in preventing shingles (or recurrence, in her case). She did it anyway. Age 82.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had the first Shingrex shot 2 months ago and the second shot 3 days ago.
With the first shot, I had a really sore arm that lasted several days. That night I had low grade fever, and the next day I had fatigue. I just wanted to lay on the couch and not get up!
The second shot only left me with a sore arm. But not as sore as the first time.
I think the sore arm and fatigue are a small price to pay if I never have to suffer with shingles.
The pharmacist told me that Shingrex is good for 9 years, and after that, If you do get shingles, it would be a really mild case.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I reported to my doctor's office; was told I didn't have to sign anything; then while I was waiting suddenly was called over by one of the staff members whom I knew well and who had helped to set up this appointment (there had been a waiting list for the vaccine).

She told me that she had no idea I was over 65 and that I shouldn't have the vaccination there because it would "cost me an arm and a leg" (over $300.00). I am not on Medicare, but apparently I can get the vaccine free at some places and not others with my insurance. So I went off to a Minute Clinic within a CVS where I usually get my 'flu shots and the nurse at the clinic didn't know whether or not I was covered there!

To make a long boring story a little less long, after over 20 minutes on the phone with my insurance company and being told by the initial agent that I had to call someone in my state (not a number on the back of the card), I got a supervisor who said that the Minute Clinic at that address was covered to give the shingles vaccine. The next chapter will probably be arguing with them about why they won't pay because they say I am not covered!

At least it kept my mind off my health fears!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP than you for sharing your story. I have a question related to shingles. I had chickenpox as a child and a mild case of shingles as an adult. Does this mean the Shingrix vaccine will not help me avoid shingles in the future? Does this mean I will continue to get shingles in the future? (Eg once you get shingles you will have shingles forever?). I’m not sure if Shingrix would help me or not, just wondering.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP than you for sharing your story. I have a question related to shingles. I had chickenpox as a child and a mild case of shingles as an adult. Does this mean the Shingrix vaccine will not help me avoid shingles in the future? Does this mean I will continue to get shingles in the future? (Eg once you get shingles you will have shingles forever?). I’m not sure if Shingrix would help me or not, just wondering.

Hi @LightBright , this is what I understand to be true. Having had shingles in the past does not prevent one from getting it or not getting it in the future. The vaccine could help (50% was a number I seem to recall but that could be completely wrong) but it isn't foolproof. However if you do get shingles after having had the vaccine I believe it will be a milder form. I had shingles about 5 and a half years ago. I have not yet gone to get the vaccine because at that time my internist wanted me to wait. Now with the newer vaccine out I will be enquiring about the specific (for me) pros and cons.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for sharing. I've just had shingles for the second time. Ugh. Each time was aweful, but totally different . I'm too young for insurance to pay for the vaccine. I'm going to just privately pay for it. Sounds like Shingrex is the way to go. I really do not want it again. Apparently I can keep getting it when stressed out.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for sharing. I've just had shingles for the second time. Ugh. Each time was aweful, but totally different . I'm too young for insurance to pay for the vaccine. I'm going to just privately pay for it. Sounds like Shingrex is the way to go. I really do not want it again. Apparently I can keep getting it when stressed out.

Ugh I am so sorry @rockysalamander. That sucks. Greg had shingles when he was about 40 and I had it when I was 48. We both got our flu shots (quadrivalent preservative free) this past Friday and asked the pharmacist about the shingles vaccine and he said he felt we should skip it til we are older. I am going to ask our internist about it in the spring when we see him. I am so sorry you got shingles for a second time and as I understand it those of us who have had it are at greater risk to get it again (and again). Sigh.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AGBF how are you? Did you get the shingles vaccine?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I reported to my doctor's office; was told I didn't have to sign anything; then while I was waiting suddenly was called over by one of the staff members whom I knew well and who had helped to set up this appointment (there had been a waiting list for the vaccine).

She told me that she had no idea I was over 65 and that I shouldn't have the vaccination there because it would "cost me an arm and a leg" (over $300.00). I am not on Medicare, but apparently I can get the vaccine free at some places and not others with my insurance. So I went off to a Minute Clinic within a CVS where I usually get my 'flu shots and the nurse at the clinic didn't know whether or not I was covered there!

To make a long boring story a little less long, after over 20 minutes on the phone with my insurance company and being told by the initial agent that I had to call someone in my state (not a number on the back of the card), I got a supervisor who said that the Minute Clinic at that address was covered to give the shingles vaccine. The next chapter will probably be arguing with them about why they won't pay because they say I am not covered!

At least it kept my mind off my health fears!
im so sorry its not free in your country but glad you had the vaccine
its free here for everyone over a certain age
my mum got shingles and its really horrible

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
im.so sorry to read you've had it twice
when i was at high school
back in the days when we had big end of year national exams a girl in my class got it from stress
its a terrible thing
id say its worth having to pay if it means you have less likelihood of contracting it again

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AGBF how are you? Did you get the shingles vaccine?

Thank you for caring, missy. I lost track of this thread. And I am very sorry, indeed, to hear that rockysalamander just had shingles for the second time!

I got my first shingles vaccine weeks ago and the nurse practitioner told me I could come back in two weeks for my 'flu shot. My shingles vaccine was pretty uneventful: a sore arm and a tiny bit of itching right where the needle went in. Basically no reaction. I waited a bit over two weeks then got my 'flu shot. I get the higher dose senior one, which I have had before. No reaction. I can get my second shingles vaccine in November at the earliest. The nurse practitioner is now after me to get vaccinated against pneumonia!

Deb/AGBF

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m debating getting the Shingrex shot today...I’m having my mom get one too..She’s almost 94..Crossing my fingers I don’t get a reaction...If it makes me want to sleep tomorrow..this is probably the best day because I’m driving a long distance on Thursday..and I could take it easy tomorrow..:pray:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m debating getting the Shingrex shot today...I’m having my mom get one too..She’s almost 94..Crossing my fingers I don’t get a reaction...If it makes me want to sleep tomorrow..this is probably the best day because I’m driving a long distance on Thursday..and I could take it easy tomorrow..:pray:

Good luck Joanne!!! Sending bucketloads of good luck to you.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck Joanne!!! Sending bucketloads of good luck to you.
Thanks @missy! My doctor ran out of it so she told me to go to CVS! I may be getting a cold so have to look up if I can still get it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @missy! My doctor ran out of it so she told me to go to CVS! I may be getting a cold so have to look up if I can still get it.

Not an expert but if you have a cold I would wait til you are over it.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not an expert but if you have a cold I would wait til you are over it.
I don’t know if I have a cold or it’s allergies. I looked it up and it said you can get it with a cold...The trouble is I don’t have a lot of time to get it if I postpone it. My mom has Bingo on Mondays and Thursday’s so I’m not doing it then. She needs to go..Haha..

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know if I have a cold or it’s allergies. I looked it up and it said you can get it with a cold...The trouble is I don’t have a lot of time to get it if I postpone it. My mom has Bingo on Mondays and Thursday’s so I’m not doing it then. She needs to go..Haha..

The reason I suggest holding off until your cold is over (if it is a cold that is) is just because getting the vaccine can make you feel not well for a few days (tired, achey etc) and on top of a cold it might make you feel even more crappy. And I know you have a busy week ahead. Also, getting the vaccine will (should) affect your immune system so for all those reasons, if you can, I would wait. But if you cannot I understand and life is not perfect. Sometimes good enough has to be good enough.

Just make sure you do *not* have a fever OK Joanne? That is a contraindication to getting the vaccine.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
The reason I suggest holding off until your cold is over (if it is a cold that is) is just because getting the vaccine can make you feel not well for a few days (tired, achey etc) and on top of a cold it might make you feel even more crappy. And I know you have a busy week ahead. Also, getting the vaccine will (should) affect your immune system so for all those reasons, if you can, I would wait. But if you cannot I understand and life is not perfect. Sometimes good enough has to be good enough.

Just make sure you do *not* have a fever OK Joanne? That is a contraindication to getting the vaccine.
Thank you sweet @missy..I don’t have a cold..My mom wants to get it now that I told her so there’s no talking that down now. She already took her shower and is all dressed...haha...I’m still in my pjs..

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you sweet @missy..I don’t have a cold..My mom wants to get it now that I told her so there’s no talking that down now. She already took her shower and is all dressed...haha...I’m still in my pjs..

LOL your mom's quite the character:P2. Tell her good luck at BINGO on Thursday. Hmmm should I give her money to bet for me? We could use some extra $$$ to pay for our exorbitant veterinarian bills...:rodent:

Anyway good luck with the vaccine. Soon one down and then just one to go.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL your mom's quite the character:P2. Tell her good luck at BINGO on Thursday. Hmmm should I give her money to bet for me? We could use some extra $$$ to pay for our exorbitant veterinarian bills...:rodent:

The seniors are big spenders...I think it’s a quarter a card...and they play more than one card.usually four...They win cans of vegetables..expired boxes of stuffing and sometimes toilet paper. Toilet paper seems to be the thing they like the most so it’s hard to claim those.. I told her not to get that...because it’s only one ply! Haha...Truthfully...I don’t want her bringing any of it home but she loves to get free stuff...She grew up during the depression..I finally got her to stop saving string!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thanks Missy!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Truthfully...I don’t want her bringing any of it home but she loves to get free stuff...She grew up during the depression..I finally got her to stop saving string!

So you did not know this but it's a running joke between my dh and me and even the rest of my family. They all say I was a depression era baby in another life. Because I LOVE stocking up on everything and I can never have too much of anything including tp, paper towels, food supplies, etc. You name it I need to stock up on it. And really I would not be surprised (if such a thing existed as previous and future lives) if I had been a depression era baby in another life. It's such a strong feeling I need abundance of everything. I am fortunate that my dh can indulge my needs because we have lots of storage in both homes. If g-d forbid there was a nuclear event or something equally catastrophic we would be OK for a long while with all the stuff we have stocked up. But that is not why I do it. Also, I would run out of my meds long before the food and water supplies and die. But I digress. What a cheery thought.

:cheeky:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results