shape
carat
color
clarity

Montana sapphire?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
When I bought this sapphire it did not list origin. I have not seen this steely blue color in sapphire except for Montana stones. Is it likely that is the origin.

IMG_0518_1_1.JPG

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
A couple of other pics.

IMG_1791_1_1.JPG

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Do these steely blue colors come from other locations

IMG_1792_1_1_1.JPG

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Whereever it is from it is stunning! I love it!
30.gif

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Matatora. This is a picture that shows the color a little better. It is a little fuzzy though.

IMG_1794_1_1.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, the greenish shade could be from anywhere. Large size makes Montana less likely, as much as I can tell - not that no larger blue sapphire ever emerged from there, but I would expect that larger blue sapphires from this source would come with a stack of paper attesting their origin.

Color, you surely have some quantity of nice surprises in store!
2.gif

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your reply Ana. The size is 2.08cts it is 8.5mm The gemologist I took it to called it grayblue. Tone is a 4 with a satutration of 3. I can not recall seeing sapphires of this kind from other locations.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/2/2005 2:24:54 PM
Author: colormyworld

The gemologist I took it to called it grayblue. Tone is a 4 with a satutration of 3.
Oh well... I would have never guessed either ''grayblue'' or 4/3. There''s probably a mile between what my computer screen here shows (almost sea-weed, greenish blue, definitely dark) and what you have infront
7.gif

Keeping your other posts in mind, ''bet this one is a very good looking piece though! Knowing where it comes from could only add to the charm.
1.gif

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
It does look a little darker in the pictures than it looks to me on this side of the screen. I think this is an effect of my lighting or lack of my camera skills. On my moniter It shows no green though. Thank you for your reply. Doug

pad3006

Shiny_Rock
That is a gorgous stone, I love the color of it, and the cut is so pretty too, np matter where its from it looks like a winner to me.
sorry if this question sounds dumb but what do the numbers for the tone and saturation mean?

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Pad3006 Thanks for your reply. My stone was appraised by a GIA trained gemologist. They use a scale of 1 to 6 for saturation,and a scale of 0 to 10 for tone. On the saturation 1 is colorless and 6 is a vivid ( this is the strenth of color in a given stone ) On the tone think of a sheet of paper that is white ( 0) on the top and as you scan down the page it gets darker and darker until you get to the bottom where it is black (10). Tone is as if you were looking at the stone on a black and white television. On my sapphire the gemologist thought the tone was medium light.(4) and the saturation was moderate(3). But they call it very slightly gray because as a stone gets less saturat it registers in our brain as being grayish (with cool colors, with warm colors they say brownish) Hope this is a little helpful. I am not an expert so take what I say with a large grain of salt. Doug

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results