shape
carat
color
clarity

montana sapphire

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for this @MollyMalone , I enjoyed the reading very much as well.
No, they are not going to share with me more pictures, I understand why now.
I looked at Earth's Treasury too, but I'm not enthusiastic about their cuts, I'm more traditional (ovals and rounds are my favorites).
I didn't call Andrews jet. The truth is I'm not completely sure about that gem because of the haziness... Then I saw this one:

Way more sparkling, but darker and...completely out of my budget...

They have this one too:

It is lighter but, I don't know what it does mean "with some light silk off the center that looks almost holographic, it appears then disappears at certain angles". The "holographic" word scares me :D

Whay do you think about these two?

Most vendors have discount once in a while or are open to bargain, is that true for Gemfix too?

If not, I think I'll wait for my stone or...I'll buy a less expensive (and little) one :(

I felt the same way about Earth’s treasuries cuts, BUT - they just designed a brand new oval cut that is more “standard” - check out their instagram page - I don’t think they are posted in their site yet, but they have such a massive inventory it’s hard to tell...admittedly I also found them more expensive than Gemfix. Blaze-n-gems and Mastercut are two other vendors that come to mind with well priced Montana sapphires - however blazes photos are really not great, he’s happy to send more

here’s the new Earth treasury oval cut:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CAYi8I5nJ-r/?igshid=13lmuybdvsejr

I personally prefer the color of the first stone from Gemfix because it appears more blue-dominant, but that’s just me!

I agree with @MollyMalone - they are very nice at Gemfix as far as my email interactions went and can talk you through questions. I ended up not going with them because I found a stone elsewhere but they were helpful. It’s a big purchase so I think you should inquire!

neofita

Rough_Rock
Premium
OP I love the cut of the stone. the color is not to my personal taste though its very flattering IMO. Its a greyish green/blue to my eyes based on the video I could see this with chunky cut diamonds in platinum....frankly, its got a certain feel to it. I feel like a greyer metal like platinum would really make this stone a banger. It will shift in lighting situations but not be dark unless you're in a super dark room.

Gemfix tends to use pantone colors as reference colors when they can which I can appreciate. https://www.pantone.com/color-finder

Color is hugely subjective if you you won't wear the thing you just bought because you hate the color, why buy it and why bother? I collect and I don't always like the "ideal" colors. I like what I like, and sometimes that can include grey tones! so don't feel like you have to like a reference color if you just know you don't, and don't feel you have to like what someone else likes either. You and what you love matters the most. If you love this color then go for it its a great stone.

Thank you @Arcadian for your reply and suggestions. My project will be in 22 gold :oops:...I do really love rings by Marie-Helene de Taillac!

neofita

Rough_Rock
Premium
I felt the same way about Earth’s treasuries cuts, BUT - they just designed a brand new oval cut that is more “standard” - check out their instagram page - I don’t think they are posted in their site yet, but they have such a massive inventory it’s hard to tell...admittedly I also found them more expensive than Gemfix. Blaze-n-gems and Mastercut are two other vendors that come to mind with well priced Montana sapphires - however blazes photos are really not great, he’s happy to send more

I personally prefer the color of the first stone from Gemfix because it appears more blue-dominant, but that’s just me!

I agree with @MollyMalone - they are very nice at Gemfix as far as my email interactions went and can talk you through questions. I ended up not going with them because I found a stone elsewhere but they were helpful. It’s a big purchase so I think you should inquire!

Oh my! These new from Earth treasury are beautiful :kiss2::kiss2:!!! I'll check on their website every single day...hope they will be not super pricey! Thank you so much!
I'll write to Andrews too.
Thank you everyone! I'll let you know ;-)

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah....definitely see what you mean! It is a really interesting stone and the color zoning is actually a really cool feature IMO. I almost bought a stone like it, except it had a totally colorless stripe down the middle that was much more prominent. I also love that shade of blue with the slightest touch of violet, but the violet seems to come and go based on lighting...?

It also seems to come to life against your skin, for sure!

Feeling about the same about it?

I sent it back. My husband told me if I didn't love it now I was not going to love it in a few months and to send it back. LOL, the man knows me.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Arcadian for your reply and suggestions. My project will be in 22 gold :oops:...I do really love rings by Marie-Helene de Taillac!
Gotcha, had to check that boutique out! (so pretty!)

so my opinion doesn't change much on the stone because of the grey I see, I think it will work out better in platinum or even rhodium plated white gold versus yellow 22K. (I'm using gut feelings here so I could be totally wrong)

I'd look for something more in the vibrant side if yellow gold is where this project go.

neofita

Rough_Rock
Premium
I sent it back. My husband told me if I didn't love it now I was not going to love it in a few months and to send it back. LOL, the man knows me.

Your husband is wise! I agree

neofita

Rough_Rock
Premium
Gotcha, had to check that boutique out! (so pretty!)

so my opinion doesn't change much on the stone because of the grey I see, I think it will work out better in platinum or even rhodium plated white gold versus yellow 22K. (I'm using gut feelings here so I could be totally wrong)

I'd look for something more in the vibrant side if yellow gold is where this project go.

Thank you for your suggestion! I really appreciate!

neofita

Rough_Rock
Premium

Just checked Earth Treasury web site :cry2:. New Montana Sapphire are all heated, most are smaller than 2 ct, and...all are way more expensive!!! Just two or three are above 2 ct but price is around 6000 $, definitely beyond my budget. I'm not a fan of this oval edged cut as well. I'll keep doing my research...

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Just checked Earth Treasury web site :cry2:. New Montana Sapphire are all heated, most are smaller than 2 ct, and...all are way more expensive!!! Just two or three are above 2 ct but price is around 6000 $, definitely beyond my budget. I'm not a fan of this oval edged cut as well. I'll keep doing my research...

Disappointing indeed - I also found their prices too high but what do I know...

the right one will come along!

neofita

Rough_Rock
Premium
Disappointing indeed - I also found their prices too high but what do I know...

the right one will come along!

@annagene12 I read your tread and I found it incredibly interesting and helpful! Thank you!
I'm happy for you, definitely you found the one, and it's stunning!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
@annagene12 I read your tread and I found it incredibly interesting and helpful! Thank you!
I'm happy for you, definitely you found the one, and it's stunning!

ahhh thank you! learned a lot along the way....one day, I will get a montana sapphire with blues and greens, but learned that the "vividness" was important to me for my first sapphire! good luck on your journey.

neofita

Rough_Rock
Premium
I think my journey will be longer than previously anticipated.. thinking about the stone and the setting I would like to have, I'm searching now for a Montana sapphire with an Old cut or Rose cut, large table or less facets. I like the color to be predominant with respect to sparkle. So,few question for you:
1) why it's so difficult to find old cut o rose cut in colored stones? Are old cut less expensive and less desirable?:
2) What do you think about these cuts for colored stones?
2) Do any vendor's names come to your mind?

I'm attaching pictures of the project I have in mind, to give you a better idea of the cuts.
Thank you so much for your patience!!!

97139921_3291619030873062_5043949153642610688_o.jpg colored.png diamond.png

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aside from finding a period piece that one would want to dismantle,
Have you looked at Mountain Momma Gems, Top Notch Faceting and Caleb Quashen? Mayyybe you can find something there?

I think your project - from what I can gather- sounds right up my alley! Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I think my journey will be longer than previously anticipated.. thinking about the stone and the setting I would like to have, I'm searching now for a Montana sapphire with an Old cut or Rose cut, large table or less facets. I like the color to be predominant with respect to sparkle. So,few question for you:
1) why it's so difficult to find old cut o rose cut in colored stones? Are old cut less expensive and less desirable?:
2) What do you think about these cuts for colored stones?
2) Do any vendor's names come to your mind?

I'm attaching pictures of the project I have in mind, to give you a better idea of the cuts.
Thank you so much for your patience!!!

97139921_3291619030873062_5043949153642610688_o.jpg colored.png diamond.png

Rose cut sapphires I have seen from one vendor on Instagram (IG) and no where else - from a guy named @calebbquashen - whenever he posted them, he reiterated that they were rare and they would sell out right away. I have seen cool photos of parti sapphires and the rose cut seems to really emphasize differences in color in a stone - patches of green, yellow, blue. I think they look very cool. I cannot attest to his quality/stones - I have not bought a stone from him.

Another IG vendor that comes to mind is @topnotchfaceting - he does many cuts with big large facets that remind me of antique stones that you may love! He seems to be an excellent cutter, but I don't prefer the large transparent areas that the cutting style leaves for some stones (this is TOTALLY personal preference) - I prefer richly saturated color, which I don't know if you can achieve with cuts like that? I am honestly not sure! I also have not bought a stone from him.

I have never seen an "old cut" sapphire, at least not like the the OEC diamond cuts you may be thinking about, nothing like the flowery facets and pastel sparkles that come with them - that doesn't mean they aren't out there, I am just not familiar!

My guess is that rose cuts, in particular, and other cuts with large facets lead to windowing/transparent and less saturated areas of color/patches of color - which is undesirable to many and maybe why they are less common? im sure others know more than I do.... Color is #1 with sapphires and other colored gems, not sparkle either. I have not seen colored gems sparkle like diamonds - so I am not sure in your post if you mean color is more important than sparkle? Or the other way around.

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Aside from finding a period piece that one would want to dismantle,
Have you looked at Mountain Momma Gems, Top Notch Faceting and Caleb Quashen? Mayyybe you can find something there?

I think your project - from what I can gather- sounds right up my alley! Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

You beat me to it!

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@neofita Gosh those rings and the rose cuts are right up my alley! :kiss2:

neofita

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much @annagene12 and @Rfisher! Now I see and I better understand what annagene12 wrote. Yes, Montana Sapphires don't show their best with old or rose cuts... OMG, I'm even more confused... I suppose I need more time to think about what I really want.

Pictures I posted are William Welstead rings. @Niffler75, he is from UK like you :) He uses antique stones, and I think everything about his job is just stunning. I like Marie Helene de Taillac as well, but I think William Welstead settings better protect precious stones.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much @annagene12 and @Rfisher! Now I see and I better understand what annagene12 wrote. Yes, Montana Sapphires don't show their best with old or rose cuts... OMG, I'm even more confused... I suppose I need more time to think about what I really want.

Pictures I posted are William Welstead rings. @Niffler75, he is from UK like you :) He uses antique stones, and I think everything about his job is just stunning. I like Marie Helene de Taillac as well, but I think William Welstead settings better protect precious stones.

Happy to help! And I think it just depends on what you want - I looked and looked to figure out what I wanted. When I saw *the* stone - it clicked and I realized what was / or wasn't important to me.

I totally get that it is overwhelming, but also exciting!

You might find a happy middle with some native cut gems? Many of them look quite unlike the precision cut sapphires....

Happy hunting. :)

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@neofita Thanks for the heads up. Checked out w welstead and I really like his work. I particularly like that he recycles older stones. Thanks! :mrgreen2:

neofita

Rough_Rock
Premium
Update on my hunting
Sad news. I didn’t find the one!
I wrote to Andrew from Gemfix but it seems he can’t help me.
The stone was suppose to be the gem for a custom setting for celebrate our wedding anniversary.
At this point I think:
1)the budget was too low for my project;
2) I didn’t even find the very right color and stone.

My (tired ) husband opted for a CartierTrinity ring and I think it perfectly fit the meaning for an anniversary, plus it is comfortable for a every day purpose.

Anyway, I’m still dreaming about my sapphire. Maybe for the next anniversary! Keep saving money for my huge gem!
Thank you everyone for your kind words and your help! I really appreciate ❤️

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results