carat
color
clarity

montana sapphire

neofita

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi there!
I'm still a newbee... My next project will be with a sapphire, and after a lot of thinking, I think my favorite are Montana sapphire. What do you think about this one:

Seller said "this sapphire is unheated, there are no eye-visible inclusions, it has some silk due to being unheated, which gives it a bit of "haziness", not glassy clarity.
It was mined on the El Dorado Bar, on the banks of the Missouri River about 20 miles east of Helena, Montana back in the 1970's.
They provide Certificate of Authenticity with purchase, but it does not come with a lab report".
Should I be concerned because it was mined back in 1970? Should I be concerned because it doesn't come with lab report? What do you think about the "silk"?
What do you think about the color? And what about the price? I like it, but it's a little bit beyond my budget...

Reactions: AV_

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi there!
I'm still a newbee... My next project will be with a sapphire, and after a lot of thinking, I think my favorite are Montana sapphire. What do you think about this one:

Seller said "this sapphire is unheated, there are no eye-visible inclusions, it has some silk due to being unheated, which gives it a bit of "haziness", not glassy clarity.
It was mined on the El Dorado Bar, on the banks of the Missouri River about 20 miles east of Helena, Montana back in the 1970's.
They provide Certificate of Authenticity with purchase, but it does not come with a lab report".
Should I be concerned because it was mined back in 1970? Should I be concerned because it doesn't come with lab report? What do you think about the "silk"?
What do you think about the color? And what about the price? I like it, but it's a little bit beyond my budget...

This vendor is trustworthy so I would be fine purchasing from them without a lab report (this isn't my "style" of stone in terms of color, but if you like it then I think that's great). But I wouldn't be worried about it being mined a long time ago or about the lack of lab report.

neofita

Rough_Rock
Premium
This vendor is trustworthy so I would be fine purchasing from them without a lab report (this isn't my "style" of stone in terms of color, but if you like it then I think that's great). But I wouldn't be worried about it being mined a long time ago or about the lack of lab report.

Thank you for your reply. Since I'm very new, could you please explain your point of view about the color? I'm worry I have very bad taste, and probably I would buy a stone with no value

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your reply. Since I'm very new, could you please explain your point of view about the color? I'm worry I have very bad taste, and probably I would buy a stone with no value

Color is just super subjective, so I would never want to tell someone that the color they like is "Wrong". And you aren't buying a stone with no value--montana sapphires are well respected as nice stones. For me it's too grey/blue. I like pure grey and I like bright or velvet blue, but don't really like the blue/grey in-between. Not sure that makes any sense....

Do you have a pic of what your "ideal" color is, even if it's a stone out of your budget? That might help!

neofita

Rough_Rock
Premium
Color is just super subjective, so I would never want to tell someone that the color they like is "Wrong". And you aren't buying a stone with no value--montana sapphires are well respected as nice stones. For me it's too grey/blue. I like pure grey and I like bright or velvet blue, but don't really like the blue/grey in-between. Not sure that makes any sense....

Do you have a pic of what your "ideal" color is, even if it's a stone out of your budget? That might help!

Thank you so much for make it clear. This is my color, I just love it, that's the only reason I picked it...being a naive :)

neofita

Rough_Rock
Premium
**trade members may not weigh in on stones to keep the forum unbiased**

Thank you for your reply! Could you please tell me why you are not keen on cut and polish? As I told you, I'm not a pro...at all :)

Last edited by a moderator:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your reply! Could you please tell me why you are not keen on cut and polish? As I told you, I'm not a pro...at all :)

The cut is excellent, so I'm not sure what the poster is referring to. Also if that poster is in the trade, he or she is not allowed to comment on another vendor's merchandise.

If you love the color then I would go for it. You can see it in person and decide for yourself :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cut looks nice but I am not enamored by the colour. That said, colour is personal so if it speaks to you, by all means, ignore my colour preference!

Do pay careful attention to the description by the vendor. It can be difficult to capture colour accurately and most vendors will add their opinion in the comments. Many Montana shift, some are drastic shifters.

neofita

Rough_Rock
Premium
The cut is excellent, so I'm not sure what the poster is referring to. Also if that poster is in the trade, he or she is not allowed to comment on another vendor's merchandise.

If you love the color then I would go for it. You can see it in person and decide for yourself :)

Thank you!

neofita

Rough_Rock
Premium
Cut looks nice but I am not enamored by the colour. That said, colour is personal so if it speaks to you, by all means, ignore my colour preference!

Do pay careful attention to the description by the vendor. It can be difficult to capture colour accurately and most vendors will add their opinion in the comments. Many Montana shift, some are drastic shifters.

Thank you so much, that is a really good point! Are "shifters" less valuable?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like to use the word "less or more valuable" because value depends on individual preference. I will say that gems that hold their colour under most lights tend to cost more.

neofita

Rough_Rock
Premium
I don't like to use the word "less or more valuable" because value depends on individual preference. I will say that gems that hold their colour under most lights tend to cost more.

Thank you again. Please don't laugh to me for this question: the vendor wrote "A mix of blue and blue-green in N daylight" What it does mean N daylight?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone isn't heated, but it's very close to the most common color of a heated Montana. If you like it, that's all that matters. I'm not keen on the quality of the cut and polish though.

@SapphireNut1 - please read forum policies. As a member of the trade, you are prohibited from commenting on any other vendor's stones, promoting your own, or recommending vendors.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I love this particular blue/green color and think it is a very pretty stone. Light-medium blue/green is just not very flattering on my pale pink skin LOL. I also love LOTs of colors - from deep, vibrant royal blues to violet to silvery blue greens to hot pinkish red to golden orange and everything in between that sapphires offer!

As long as you don't mind a greyish tinge - some folk prefer a more purely saturated color that isn't as common with montanas, esp not unheated, but some people like the silvery quality montana sapphires have!

One thing with the haziness - if you like lots of SPARKLE this may be a little less lively than you want. Like color - this all comes down to preference.

I also agree with @lovedogs - the cut appears to be wonderful to my eyes, although other PSers know a lot more than me!

Last edited:

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I would say if you like it, just get it. I too am sold on the Montana sapphires and actually just ordered one from them as well, mine should be here Monday and I can't wait. Super nice people to work with at Gemfix. I was told all Montana's have some grey to them and that they are moody stones. I am ok with that, I am moody too. LOL

neofita

Rough_Rock
Premium
I love this particular blue/green color and think it is a very pretty stone. Light-medium blue/green is just not very flattering on my pale pink skin LOL. I also love LOTs of colors - from deep, vibrant royal blues to violet to silvery blue greens to hot pinkish red to golden orange and everything in between that sapphires offer!

As long as you don't mind a greyish tinge - some folk prefer a more purely saturated color that isn't as common with montanas, esp not unheated, but some people like the silvery quality montana sapphires have!

One thing with the haziness - if you like lots of SPARKLE this may be a little less lively than you want. Like color - this all comes down to preference.

I also agree with @lovedogs - the cut appears to be wonderful to my eyes, although other PSers know a lot more than me!

Thank you @annagene12 for your reply! I'm with you, loooove blue/green color and me too, I'm not afraid of the greyish tinge...It's a combination that remember me the sea...my big love. I didn't think about my pale skin tough...maybe I should have a look in person!

neofita

Rough_Rock
Premium
I would say if you like it, just get it. I too am sold on the Montana sapphires and actually just ordered one from them as well, mine should be here Monday and I can't wait. Super nice people to work with at Gemfix. I was told all Montana's have some grey to them and that they are moody stones. I am ok with that, I am moody too. LOL

:D:D:D I'm moody too! That's probably the reason why we love them :) Really, you just bought from Gemfix? May I see yours??? I'm super curious!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thank you @annagene12 for your reply! I'm with you, loooove blue/green color and me too, I'm not afraid of the greyish tinge...It's a combination that remember me the sea...my big love. I didn't think about my pale skin tough...maybe I should have a look in person!

I think it totally depends on the tone of your skin, not how pale or deep the color.

My skin is VERY reddish / pink, which the complimentary color is green / greenish yellow. This makes greens very tricky for me, as it can "amplify" the redness in my skin which I don't prefer.

Agree that they do look like the sea...which is very beautiful and moody too! You can always return if you aren't in love!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s very pretty! Let us see handshots in different light when you get it. It‘s got that characteristic Montana sapphire silk and personality!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much! I'm going to ask more pictures!
Although Andrew may make an exception for you, his general policy is to not supply additional photos; see the explanation in the first FAQ here:

And as expanded upon here, in the section on Light and Color:

Even a larger portfolio of pics isn't a substitute, unfortunately, for seeing a colored gem "up close and personal" under the various lighting conditions that constitute your real life.

Even when vendors are very conscientious about posting videos and/or photos that duplicate, on their monitor/screen, what they themselves see, odds are slim to none that your own display is color-calibrated in sync with theirs. (Because color calibration "drifts" over time, I'm pretty faithful about "refreshing" the built-in color calibration on my Apple products, but I realize that's pretty primitive compared to the snazzy color calibration, requiring special software, that my brother, a photography enthusiast, employs.)

Photos and videos are still only 2 dimensional renderings. And last but not least imo, our eyes and brains don't all "see" colors exactly the same. E.g., I'm super sensitive to the nuances in whites and beiges, but far less so with reds.

So all of this is why I approach every gemstone purchase with the mindset that I'll be making a return (altho' I've ended up only doing that once). And why I'll encourage you to simply "pull the trigger" and order a stone that seems appealing to you where, as here, the vendor has an unconditional return-refund policy -- and assuming that this isn't an international transaction for you. But you shouldn't hesitate to call Gemfix and speak with Andrew before ordering as he may recommend another stone based on the various parameters you share in your conversation with him. He's very nice, and isn't pushy.

P.S. Earth's Treasury (Jeff Hapeman) has an extensive inventory of Montana sapphires, if you've not already paid a visit there:

And I think you'd enjoy reading his extensive blog post on Montana (Rock Creek) sapphires:

Last edited:

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
:D:D:D I'm moody too! That's probably the reason why we love them :) Really, you just bought from Gemfix? May I see yours??? I'm super curious!

I got it yesterday afternoon but did not have time to take pictures. I am not sure what I think about it honestly. It looks so different in every type of lighting. I find shopping for diamonds to be much easier than gemstones.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I got it yesterday afternoon but did not have time to take pictures. I am not sure what I think about it honestly. It looks so different in every type of lighting. I find shopping for diamonds to be much easier than gemstones.

Curious to see pics! I wonder if the shiftiness might take warming up to...agreed- diamonds are MUCH easier

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP I love the cut of the stone. the color is not to my personal taste though its very flattering IMO. Its a greyish green/blue to my eyes based on the video I could see this with chunky cut diamonds in platinum....frankly, its got a certain feel to it. I feel like a greyer metal like platinum would really make this stone a banger. It will shift in lighting situations but not be dark unless you're in a super dark room.

Gemfix tends to use pantone colors as reference colors when they can which I can appreciate. https://www.pantone.com/color-finder

Color is hugely subjective if you you won't wear the thing you just bought because you hate the color, why buy it and why bother? I collect and I don't always like the "ideal" colors. I like what I like, and sometimes that can include grey tones! so don't feel like you have to like a reference color if you just know you don't, and don't feel you have to like what someone else likes either. You and what you love matters the most. If you love this color then go for it its a great stone.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
So this is the link to the sapphire I bought. https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-montana-12-2039

I'm going to attach a few pictures so you can see what I mean. IMG_20200519_110935.jpg IMG_20200519_110935.jpg IMG_20200519_114702.jpg IMG_20200519_075738.jpg IMG_20200519_063117.jpg

Oh yeah....definitely see what you mean! It is a really interesting stone and the color zoning is actually a really cool feature IMO. I almost bought a stone like it, except it had a totally colorless stripe down the middle that was much more prominent. I also love that shade of blue with the slightest touch of violet, but the violet seems to come and go based on lighting...?

It also seems to come to life against your skin, for sure!

Feeling about the same about it?

neofita

Rough_Rock
Premium
Although Andrew may make an exception for you, his general policy is to not supply additional photos; see the explanation in the first FAQ here:

And as expanded upon here, in the section on Light and Color:

Even a larger portfolio of pics isn't a substitute, unfortunately, for seeing a colored gem "up close and personal" under the various lighting conditions that constitute your real life.

Even when vendors are very conscientious about posting videos and/or photos that duplicate, on their monitor/screen, what they themselves see, odds are slim to none that your own display is color-calibrated in sync with theirs. (Because color calibration "drifts" over time, I'm pretty faithful about "refreshing" the built-in color calibration on my Apple products, but I realize that's pretty primitive compared to the snazzy color calibration, requiring special software, that my brother, a photography enthusiast, employs.)

Photos and videos are still only 2 dimensional renderings. And last but not least imo, our eyes and brains don't all "see" colors exactly the same. E.g., I'm super sensitive to the nuances in whites and beiges, but far less so with reds.

So all of this is why I approach every gemstone purchase with the mindset that I'll be making a return (altho' I've ended up only doing that once). And why I'll encourage you to simply "pull the trigger" and order a stone that seems appealing to you where, as here, the vendor has an unconditional return-refund policy -- and assuming that this isn't an international transaction for you. But you shouldn't hesitate to call Gemfix and speak with Andrew before ordering as he may recommend another stone based on the various parameters you share in your conversation with him. He's very nice, and isn't pushy.

P.S. Earth's Treasury (Jeff Hapeman) has an extensive inventory of Montana sapphires, if you've not already paid a visit there:

And I think you'd enjoy reading his extensive blog post on Montana (Rock Creek) sapphires:

Thank you so much for this @MollyMalone , I enjoyed the reading very much as well.
No, they are not going to share with me more pictures, I understand why now.
I looked at Earth's Treasury too, but I'm not enthusiastic about their cuts, I'm more traditional (ovals and rounds are my favorites).
I didn't call Andrews jet. The truth is I'm not completely sure about that gem because of the haziness... Then I saw this one:

Way more sparkling, but darker and...completely out of my budget...

They have this one too:

It is lighter but, I don't know what it does mean "with some light silk off the center that looks almost holographic, it appears then disappears at certain angles". The "holographic" word scares me :D

Whay do you think about these two?

Most vendors have discount once in a while or are open to bargain, is that true for Gemfix too?

If not, I think I'll wait for my stone or...I'll buy a less expensive (and little) one :(

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please don't feel shy about calling Andrew, @neofita . But rather than making a "cold call," send him an email with your thoughts about, e.g., the stones you've posted here (what you like, don't care for, or aren't certain about) and what you think you'd like. That way, he'll have more info before you two actually chat & that will facilitate a productive conversation. E.g., your conversation might prompt him to consider some rough that he has in hand but hasn't yet.cut.

And please don't be discouraged or put off if the first stone you order (from any vendor) doesn't thrill you. Colored gems aren't all-the-same widgets or even like diamonds, where you can better predict whether what you see on-screen will make your heart sing after you have it in hand. Colored gems each have their own "personality." So while I certainly understand why you want to minimize returns, searching for a colored gem is rarely quick and easy. Hopefully, you'll find some fun in the chase, and many here are happy to help ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results