shape
carat
color
clarity

Monarch's New Digs

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I love your style some much! It is distinct and wonderful to look at!

I also love your boss single mama energy. I would feel very proud of myself to buy my own home! Kudos! I think you and your emerald ring will be very happy here.

I admire and envy your ability to visualize how you want this place to look! It’s really coming together.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Calliecake and @diamondyes !

Countertops are finally scheduled to go in 12/15 and plumbing will be finished the following day. For now I have a temporary kitchen sink and a partial plywood countertop. It’s not pretty but it’s something functional until these dudes get the work completed.

Currently I live in a sea of cardboard. I’m attaching a couple pics just to show you what I’m working with. We’re getting there, at least!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your style some much! It is distinct and wonderful to look at!

I also love your boss single mama energy. I would feel very proud of myself to buy my own home! Kudos! I think you and your emerald ring will be very happy here.

I admire and envy your ability to visualize how you want this place to look! It’s really coming together.

Thank you for the very nice sentiments! Idk if I’m what you would call a boss single mama; my ex is so involved and a lot of the time I feel like I’m just a co-parent with a good amount of freedom. I am all about normalizing sharing the upbringing of children and feel no guilt whatsoever about enjoying the free time that 50/50 custody has allowed me. That’s probably my real boss energy right there. I do not think my ex feels the same as I hear that he drops the term “single dad” quite a lot around town.

It feels very good to be settling into my own home! I was in a store yesterday buying some ornaments to fill in my main tree and the cashier said wow, I bet your tree is going to be beautiful. I wish my husband would let me have a pink tree! And I wanted to say so badly, ma’am if you can’t have a pink tree your husband needs to find a new place to live. But I didn’t and I know not everyone is just free to leave. Anyway it has felt great the past several years to decorate however I like (which is just the tip of the iceberg) without worrying about compromising or complaints from anyone else.

It’s been quite the journey for me from a headstrong teen who never aspired to marriage and children, to beginning a successful career right out of college only to be basically coerced into marriage to a man who tried his best to beat me down and break me relentlessly until I picked up and left, to remarrying because I thought that’s what I was supposed to do, to saying you know what? This was never what I wanted so why am I going through these motions because I think I’m supposed to be following rules someone else set that I never agreed to, so enough is enough. And now here I am, post-pandemic, post-many losses and stress, free and happy and healthy. I hope my health lasts as long as my daughter needs me and that she’s picked up on the message of not always pursuing convention and trusting herself to do what’s right for her life without being influenced by what anyone else might think.

Clearly I’ve worked through some things! LOL Again, I really appreciate your comments. I’ll get back to pictures now that I have a few more things to post.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Assembling beds today but here is my daughter’s room pre-bed assembly. Black Friday sales were outstanding this year so she got a few new things that upgraded her room from big kid to ‘tween. I set the tree up quite hastily last night and chucked a few ornaments on after testing the lights, so consider this a “before” pic.

F1EA6F85-7635-449B-800F-183D04CCD4C0.jpeg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One half of the two built-in bookcases ensconcing the fireplace. I am obsessed with laser-cut wooden village thingies and found some fun ones this year. Stockings are from Free People. Holders from Balsam Hill. Advent calendar and mountain scene from Anthropologie.

(Yes, I currently live in a sea of cardboard.)

FF875BFC-15FB-4FCB-88D6-FFED455FD75A.jpeg

Attachments

• AF4C4E95-138F-47E5-8BE7-2E4818840DD4.jpeg
    AF4C4E95-138F-47E5-8BE7-2E4818840DD4.jpeg
    241.1 KB · Views: 14
  • EBC4482D-23B7-4C3E-B95B-051953235223.jpeg
    EBC4482D-23B7-4C3E-B95B-051953235223.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 14
  • B4E7D46B-9501-4AED-AD1D-25690B1C3823.jpeg
    B4E7D46B-9501-4AED-AD1D-25690B1C3823.jpeg
    223.1 KB · Views: 15

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guest bath. Countertops are being installed 12/15!!! I have a different shower rod and hooks on order to match existing hardware. The mirror is leaning against the wall. I have about a thousand Pendleton spa towels to go in here and I need to order towel bar, paper holder, robe hook, etc. this weekend. So many little things, I need some elves!

Shower curtain is from Urban Outfitters, and I think the bath rug is from Anthro. I did pick up another for outside the shower from Home Goods yesterday that matches the deeper shade of reddish-orange in the bath rug. That store is dangerous, by the way!

This room is VERY sunny and bright. I wanted that effect because there isn’t a window and it felt very dark and small. Once countertops and accessories are in place it will look 100% better and even happier.
6B03199D-D73B-4AA7-B022-04CB25D25A82.jpeg

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the very nice sentiments! Idk if I’m what you would call a boss single mama; my ex is so involved and a lot of the time I feel like I’m just a co-parent with a good amount of freedom. I am all about normalizing sharing the upbringing of children and feel no guilt whatsoever about enjoying the free time that 50/50 custody has allowed me. That’s probably my real boss energy right there. I do not think my ex feels the same as I hear that he drops the term “single dad” quite a lot around town.

It feels very good to be settling into my own home! I was in a store yesterday buying some ornaments to fill in my main tree and the cashier said wow, I bet your tree is going to be beautiful. I wish my husband would let me have a pink tree! And I wanted to say so badly, ma’am if you can’t have a pink tree your husband needs to find a new place to live. But I didn’t and I know not everyone is just free to leave. Anyway it has felt great the past several years to decorate however I like (which is just the tip of the iceberg) without worrying about compromising or complaints from anyone else.

It’s been quite the journey for me from a headstrong teen who never aspired to marriage and children, to beginning a successful career right out of college only to be basically coerced into marriage to a man who tried his best to beat me down and break me relentlessly until I picked up and left, to remarrying because I thought that’s what I was supposed to do, to saying you know what? This was never what I wanted so why am I going through these motions because I think I’m supposed to be following rules someone else set that I never agreed to, so enough is enough. And now here I am, post-pandemic, post-many losses and stress, free and happy and healthy. I hope my health lasts as long as my daughter needs me and that she’s picked up on the message of not always pursuing convention and trusting herself to do what’s right for her life without being influenced by what anyone else might think.

Clearly I’ve worked through some things! LOL Again, I really appreciate your comments. I’ll get back to pictures now that I have a few more things to post.

Thank you for sharing all of this! And while it’s great that your ex is an involved parent, I stand by my original compliment: you are Boss of your own life, Single and supporting yourself, and a Mama! Kudos!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Assembling beds today but here is my daughter’s room pre-bed assembly. Black Friday sales were outstanding this year so she got a few new things that upgraded her room from big kid to ‘tween. I set the tree up quite hastily last night and chucked a few ornaments on after testing the lights, so consider this a “before” pic.

F1EA6F85-7635-449B-800F-183D04CCD4C0.jpeg

Loooooove the tree!!!! Is it white with pink lights?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Living room…I absolutely LOVE the rug I chose. My sofa is still in the garage (have movers coming back this week to bring in the heavy stuff) but it’s a very light gray and I’m not sure it’s going to work with everything else. I have my eye on a couple other pieces but we’ll see. I may be able to make it flow with throws and dec pillows; it’s only 2 years old and I hate to just replace it unnecessarily. Found the yellow chairs at Target and am pleasantly surprised at the quality and comfort! Desk chair in the middle—had just assembled prior to taking the pic. Will be reconfiguring but this is a general idea.

2DD2492E-A279-4A43-A848-8DDC3CD0BAAB.jpeg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loooooove the tree!!!! Is it white with pink lights?

It’s white with multicolored lights but half of them no longer work so I grabbed 3 sets of pink lights and threw them on there last night. Sometimes ya gotta improvise. Lol

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@monarch64, thanks for sharing this experience with us. I'm having the best time seeing all of your choices and how things are progressing. Everything looks amazing and I love everything you're doing. You're creating a really lovely home for you and your daughter - who is precious btw!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@monarch64, thanks for sharing this experience with us. I'm having the best time seeing all of your choices and how things are progressing. Everything looks amazing and I love everything you're doing. You're creating a really lovely home for you and your daughter - who is precious btw!

So nice to hear from you, Junebug! Part of me wishes everything was set up and finished, but a bigger part is relishing the creativity involved in using things I already owned or inherited and finding pieces that work in harmony. Thank you for your kind words, those mean a lot to me.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s BEAUTIFUL @monarch64! I‘m with @junebug17. I too love this thread. It’s have been so much fun to watch the progression. It’s exciting making a new home your own, getting the furniture and adding all the little touches and accessories that make it your home. You are creating a beautiful home for you and your daughter where happy memories will be made. I’m so glad you have shared this with us.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s BEAUTIFUL @monarch64! I‘m with @junebug17. I too love this thread. It’s have been so much fun to watch the progression. It’s exciting making a new home your own, getting the furniture and adding all the little touches and accessories that make it your home. You are creating a beautiful home for you and your daughter where happy memories will be made. I’m so glad you have shared this with us.
Awwww, thank you @Calliecake !!! Next weekend I’ll have more to share since the reno should actually be totally complete by then. Hopefully it will look more put together.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure I’ve mentioned the deck/patio. The fence will be replaced in 2023 but the deck material itself is new and has like a 30 year warranty. I can’t remember what the material is called. Pex, maybe? Anyway, it’s a huge space and my realtor pointed out that there is plumbing to hook up a hot tub. That made me laugh because there’s no way I’m putting a hot tub out there. Single, mid-40s woman with a condo and a hot tub? No thank you, I will not be participating in that stereotype. I was thinking more along the lines of a water feature or fountain for some extra zen. The ivy has been trimmed but I’m going to let it grow out until they replace the fence because I find it so charming; it’s giving Secret Garden.

I haven’t even attempted to come up with a design concept for this yet. The interior has been enough on its own. I know I want some lighting in the form of those string lights with clear globe bulbs, some sort of heat source whether a vertical space heater or fire pit/table fire, and obviously some comfy seating. Those egg chairs are very appealing but wow, they’re expensive! 74715370-B400-45F3-AF44-78033ACD9246.jpeg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure I’ve mentioned the deck/patio. The fence will be replaced in 2023 but the deck material itself is new and has like a 30 year warranty. I can’t remember what the material is called. Pex, maybe? Anyway, it’s a huge space and my realtor pointed out that there is plumbing to hook up a hot tub. That made me laugh because there’s no way I’m putting a hot tub out there. Single, mid-40s woman with a condo and a hot tub? No thank you, I will not be participating in that stereotype. I was thinking more along the lines of a water feature or fountain for some extra zen. The ivy has been trimmed but I’m going to let it grow out until they replace the fence because I find it so charming; it’s giving Secret Garden.

I haven’t even attempted to come up with a design concept for this yet. The interior has been enough on its own. I know I want some lighting in the form of those string lights with clear globe bulbs, some sort of heat source whether a vertical space heater or fire pit/table fire, and obviously some comfy seating. Those egg chairs are very appealing but wow, they’re expensive! 74715370-B400-45F3-AF44-78033ACD9246.jpeg

This keeps getting better...this is such a nice outdoor space! Yes to a fountain, globe lights, and a heat source! I love fountains. Once you get the interior done it's going to be fun setting up a cozy outdoor area.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
I just love how this your lovely space is unfolding! Thanks so much for sharing and taking us along for the visual ride, @monarch64. That deck space is a huge bonus. So private! What is the exposure, as in, will you have shade or bright sun or a combo, depending on time of day? Water features are a big fave—I love the sound of water burbling, it's so relaxing.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Living room…I absolutely LOVE the rug I chose. My sofa is still in the garage (have movers coming back this week to bring in the heavy stuff) but it’s a very light gray and I’m not sure it’s going to work with everything else. I have my eye on a couple other pieces but we’ll see. I may be able to make it flow with throws and dec pillows; it’s only 2 years old and I hate to just replace it unnecessarily. Found the yellow chairs at Target and am pleasantly surprised at the quality and comfort! Desk chair in the middle—had just assembled prior to taking the pic. Will be reconfiguring but this is a general idea.

2DD2492E-A279-4A43-A848-8DDC3CD0BAAB.jpeg

Light gray should read as a neutral hopefully, because the rug stays. I need accent chairs and now I'm going to make Target noises at DH.:lol:
And there needs to be tiny twinkle lights in that Ivy! A water feature?! I die!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just love how this your lovely space is unfolding! Thanks so much for sharing and taking us along for the visual ride, @monarch64. That deck space is a huge bonus. So private! What is the exposure, as in, will you have shade or bright sun or a combo, depending on time of day? Water features are a big fave—I love the sound of water burbling, it's so relaxing.

Thank you! Deck faces east and slightly north. So there’ll be a good amount of light from morning til mid-afternoon in the spring and summer.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Light gray should read as a neutral hopefully, because the rug stays. I need accent chairs and now I'm going to make Target noises at DH.:lol:
And there needs to be tiny twinkle lights in that Ivy! A water feature?! I die!

It’s gonna have to read neutral because I need at least one piece that my kiddo can sit and lounge on without me having a heart attack over grubby little fingers and sneaky snacks. I love children but good grief they can be destructive.

The chairs are from the Opalhouse Jungalow line but I know they have lots of other styles. Target seems to pull from the same makers as Overstock, Amazon, etc. Nothing terribly expensive but for accent/occasional pieces that one tends to cycle through every 5-10 years they’re perfect!

I didn’t even think of putting lights in the ivy—that is straight up genius!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monnie, what's hanging on the wall above A in the pic with the two pink furry chairs (which I LOVE BTW!)?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monnie, what's hanging on the wall above A in the pic with the two pink furry chairs (which I LOVE BTW!)?

That is the Rosie Tapestry from anthropologie! It is huge as are all over their tapestries and made of heavy paper. I think this one is 5x8-ish. It’s temporarily in her room because I have others ordered but they don’t ship until late February. (Edit: it’s 3’x5’, still takes up a lot of wall space)

Rosie: https://www.anthropologie.com/shop/rosie-tapestry?color=000&size=0000

I have two of these on order that will actually end up on her wall:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love what you're doing with your new home!
I'm looking forward to more photos!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
It’s gonna have to read neutral because I need at least one piece that my kiddo can sit and lounge on without me having a heart attack over grubby little fingers and sneaky snacks. I love children but good grief they can be destructive.

The chairs are from the Opalhouse Jungalow line but I know they have lots of other styles. Target seems to pull from the same makers as Overstock, Amazon, etc. Nothing terribly expensive but for accent/occasional pieces that one tends to cycle through every 5-10 years they’re perfect!

I didn’t even think of putting lights in the ivy—that is straight up genius!
I have the same requirements, except add a dog. It's maddening. I'm at the end of one my cycles of destruction where everything looks like it just gave up.
And the company name is something I've already said fifteen times in a row because it makes me happy. I love how this is coming together and I can't wait to see it finished!

I told my family I want to go live with you in the land of all the colors and they said no, and I'm hungry, and probably some other crap that I didn't hear because I wasn't listening. How can they be so cruel? My little dress matches the summer color pops I've already picked out. See? ;(:lol:
wWDd4d.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the same requirements, except add a dog. It's maddening. I'm at the end of one my cycles of destruction where everything looks like it just gave up.
And the company name is something I've already said fifteen times in a row because it makes me happy. I love how this is coming together and I can't wait to see it finished!

I told my family I want to go live with you in the land of all the colors and they said no, and I'm hungry, and probably some other crap that I didn't hear because I wasn't listening. How can they be so cruel? My little dress matches the summer color pops I've already picked out. See? ;(:lol:
wWDd4d.gif

Ohhh I hear you on the dog part. :/ My beagle was almost 16 when she passed last summer, and while I would love to have a pet again, I just want to enjoy my environment without the fur and mess and potential wreckage.

Behold: dearly departed and gray sofa :)

E2D00392-B28B-4546-B2E3-9CFB2D783D21.jpeg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Annnnnd we have countertops! They’re still working on plumbing (sinks, dishwasher) today but fingers crossed everything is complete tomorrow. Two cabinet doors being redone because the contractor didn’t like the way the originals came out. I’m glad he’s fastidious even though it sucks to be waiting on those at this point.

The quartz has a little gray and a tiny bit of gold in it, hard to capture in a pic. I like the way it ties in with the stainless appliances and gold hardware, as well as the floor tiles. I may do a backsplash at some point but I don’t really think it’s necessary.

0368ADA0-BBA5-44C0-A9C6-4C1CBBF30377.jpeg

Attachments

• 26D739D2-8D5B-4DBC-8F0B-A8C57730D43C.jpeg
    26D739D2-8D5B-4DBC-8F0B-A8C57730D43C.jpeg
    187.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 0219CB98-5793-427F-B71C-B08E74E13B6B.jpeg
    0219CB98-5793-427F-B71C-B08E74E13B6B.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 26
  • 9C75B279-04A8-4DB5-B4BC-E88975629562.jpeg
    9C75B279-04A8-4DB5-B4BC-E88975629562.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 24
  • F3BD73FB-C373-4506-8506-81CCAF7B2F9B.jpeg
    F3BD73FB-C373-4506-8506-81CCAF7B2F9B.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 25
  • B4309E8F-A9D8-4D38-B283-8903146712AB.jpeg
    B4309E8F-A9D8-4D38-B283-8903146712AB.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 2ABF5342-94B9-457B-8CC0-0FC0BD442A52.jpeg
    2ABF5342-94B9-457B-8CC0-0FC0BD442A52.jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Annnnnd we have countertops! They’re still working on plumbing (sinks, dishwasher) today but fingers crossed everything is complete tomorrow. Two cabinet doors being redone because the contractor didn’t like the way the originals came out. I’m glad he’s fastidious even though it sucks to be waiting on those at this point.

The quartz has a little gray and a tiny bit of gold in it, hard to capture in a pic. I like the way it ties in with the stainless appliances and gold hardware, as well as the floor tiles. I may do a backsplash at some point but I don’t really think it’s necessary.

0368ADA0-BBA5-44C0-A9C6-4C1CBBF30377.jpeg

I’m envious! It’s all coming together so beautifully! Any tips on how to develop an eye for this kind of thing?

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
This looks so bright and airy! Love the counters, and how well they tie in with what you've chosen. Kudos!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Looks fabulous! I LOVE IT. I desperately wish I could get new cabinets but I'd have to rip this whole house down to the studs to make it happen, so yeah, not happening.

May I show you what we're doing? It's not fancy like yours but, our main kitchen room cabinets were hobby carpentry from the 60s/70s, built into a @200 yr old house. They aren't fancy but they're built like tanks and fully solid- almost impossible to even get the damned tops off. Overkill? Yes, yes it was. They cemented this cheap budget bathroom tile with a ridiculous amount of trim(off on the example) and I've lived with it for over 15 years. Why did they do this? Nobody knows.
But NoOoOooo.
And they screwed it down every three inches:lol:
I hate it, but doing anything in this house is nightmarish. Our walls are all original horsehair and there isn't a flat or square surface in the entire place. I swear to god everything is surgically grafted into something else.
So, I've had enough. DH takes a month or so off for Christmas every year and that's when he does inside projects. We went and bought some 1.75 butcher block for the counters out here and the little butler's pantry, I treated it and that's what DH has been doing. It fits the rural/old aesthetic nicely. It feels nice, velvety. It glows. You can't see it but the wood patterning is beautiful.
And it ISN'T that stupid tile.
I've also decided that next year we're getting a soapstone sink to replace the big farmhouse one that's beat to hell.
20221215_154500.jpg 20221215_154542.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m envious! It’s all coming together so beautifully! Any tips on how to develop an eye for this kind of thing?

Thank you, I am really pleased with everything so far. I had some worries in the beginning but seeing everything together I was being a little ridiculous in doubting myself.

I have no idea how one develops an eye for interior design! I really think it’s a mix of being a creative person, understanding scale and balance, and being a little bit nuts. I like to consider elements (earth, air, fire, water) as a way to add life to a room. That’s more of an abstract thing, I guess. I really like color as well, so the living area was like building an outfit—the rug was like a dress, the chairs were the shoes that were a little unexpected but worked with it, we’ll call the gray sofa the overcoat and accessorize with throw pillows in jewel tones like earrings and rings. Since the fireplace facade was the focal point of the room and that fieldstone is prominent on the exterior as well, and the floors looked rather rustic, I wanted a boho/global/almost southwestern feel for the rug pattern that was somewhat classic since the colors were so bright. Like, I want to sit in a mountain lodge sipping whisky but be wearing beautiful vibrant clothes and maybe switch to a cosmopolitan if I feel like it. And then go dance in a spring meadow full of wildflowers. (This is what I mean by “a little bit nuts.”)

The kitchen and baths were easy because I was considering resale so I just went as neutral as possible while incorporating an updated hardware color. Not much creativity or eye required there—details are great, but I think you can overdo to the point that there is TOO much going on. And for spaces as small as what I’m working with simple was best.

I grew up devouring Architectural Digest and Town and Country magazines if they happened to be on a coffee table in our house, and my mom got me a subscription to American Vogue when I was 12. She was a SAHM and had a great eye for design so I probably learned a lot through those avenues.

It is a huge compliment to be asked the question of how one develops an eye for design, so thank you. I am beyond flattered and a little embarrassed because I have never considered myself great at design outside of my former career in retail!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results