shape
carat
color
clarity

Moissanite rings from Starsgem on ebay (starsgem8)

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
It's pretty! I keep looking for an antique egg shape pear- I'd love to have one of those in an off white/soft yellow. I've only seen a picture of one cut on reddit, from Provence, I think. I've never bought from any of the vendors and I'm going to have to learn how!

Thank you! Also, you should get one! I haven’t bought from Provence, but I’ve heard good things about them and their loose stones are very affordable. I asked about an antique oval from them a week and a half ago and it was $40 for one that was 5x7 in GH color! I just went with Starsgem because I wanted to get an ACC/OMC more and I preferred their ACC over Tianyu’s or Provence’s. I don’t remember how much I paid for my first ACC from Starsgem (which was 6mm and not elongated), but I am pretty sure it was more than what I paid now.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I joined Demi’s group buy for the asymmetrical ring for their Colombian emerald in 6.5mm. Total time from ordering to delivery was almost a month. I’m glad I did the sterling silver option (which was significantly cheaper than the gold options) because I’m not that impressed with the color and clarity of the emerald. :confused2: The stone isn’t vibrant at all; it looks very synthetic. Maybe I was expecting too much, but I thought the color would be lighter and brighter like I’ve seen with other people’s emeralds from Starsgem. I’m attaching photos, although I think the photos make the stone look better than it does in real life:

IMG_4586.jpeg
IMG_4594.jpeg

My camera makes the stone look more “clear” than it actually is.

I had also asked Demi to add a 5mm blue sapphire because I wanted to see how this would look and I was disappointed with the color of this as well. It’s not a true, royal blue but a cornflower blue. Clarity is much better on the sapphire than the emerald, though.

IMG_4590.jpeg
IMG_4592.jpeg

My phone is also making this stone look bluer than it actually is; IRL it is more purple like a Tanzanite.

I think this is the first time I am not that impressed with Starsgem. I love their moissanites and lab diamonds but their synthetic gems didn’t strike my fancy. Which sucks because I was planning to make an anniversary ring with them using their emeralds and sapphires as they’re my and my husband’s birthstones.

Just to be clear, there was nothing wrong with Demi’s service or the quality of the ring itself! Those parts were decent at least!

Ra2nl

Shiny_Rock
I've ordered a loose round lab emerald before and i didn't like it, too synthetic look. Recently i joined SG group buy for the bezel lab emerald and i hope this one will be much nicer.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I've ordered a loose round lab emerald before and i didn't like it, too synthetic look. Recently i joined SG group buy for the bezel lab emerald and i hope this one will be much nicer.

I hope your ring is much better than mine. I wish my iPhone could display the color of my stones correctly because they actually look better than how they appear in person. I’m glad that I’m not the only person who was disappointed with their emeralds! It looks nothing like their Colombian or Zambian emeralds that they show here:

c37a2c74-e5ea-48b1-9a01-219be52f3448.jpeg

Before I got my ring I was worried that the emerald would have windowing, but it’s the complete opposite. It’s super murky and reminds me of a garnet.

On the other hand my husband was more forgiving about the emerald’s color but when he got a look of the sapphire he also thought it was a tanzanite! :oops2::lol-2:

Ra2nl

Shiny_Rock
I hope your ring is much better than mine. I wish my iPhone could display the color of my stones correctly because they actually look better than how they appear in person. I’m glad that I’m not the only person who was disappointed with their emeralds! It looks nothing like their Colombian or Zambian emeralds that they show here:

c37a2c74-e5ea-48b1-9a01-219be52f3448.jpeg

Before I got my ring I was worried that the emerald would have windowing, but it’s the complete opposite. It’s super murky and reminds me of a garnet.

On the other hand my husband was more forgiving about the emerald’s color but when he got a look of the sapphire he also thought it was a tanzanite! :oops2::lol-2:

Thanks i hope too! The rep shipped out already, i haven't received any psp or message that the ring was done. :confused: I got an Alibaba notification with trackingnbr. Should be here end of next week, will let you know.

Ra2nl

Shiny_Rock
@sd_flp Received my lab emerald but i think it's the same color as yours? Color is darker than pics and I was hoping it would be lighter. I do love the ring setting but not really like the color and windowing.
Guess my search will continue..... 77808EE1-9F44-4122-A602-50104E0E92AD.jpeg

Attachments

• B79D3D39-D2E2-4E56-9990-E46DEFC0EAB2.jpeg
    B79D3D39-D2E2-4E56-9990-E46DEFC0EAB2.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 18

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
@sd_flp Received my lab emerald but i think it's the same color as yours? Color is darker than pics and I was hoping it would be lighter. I do love the ring setting but not really like the color and windowing.
Guess my search will continue..... 77808EE1-9F44-4122-A602-50104E0E92AD.jpeg

Sorry to hear; that's really disappointing. :( I was doing some research about Starsgem's emeralds and apparently you need to have your sales rep handpick one and that certain shapes are better than others...apparently cushions, pears, and asschers are good but rounds and emeralds (ironically) are not. Then again with a group buy it's almost impossible to get a good emerald since everything is made in bulk.

I'm debating on getting an emerald from Tianyu because my sales rep (Sue) says their emeralds are bright, but I just don't trust it. I wish they would be more consistent with their colored gemstones!

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Here’s somewhat of a better photo of how my emerald looks like in real life. Just dark and murky, not lively at all:

IMG_4664.jpeg

Ra2nl

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to hear; that's really disappointing. :( I was doing some research about Starsgem's emeralds and apparently you need to have your sales rep handpick one and that certain shapes are better than others...apparently cushions, pears, and asschers are good but rounds and emeralds (ironically) are not. Then again with a group buy it's almost impossible to get a good emerald since everything is made in bulk.

I'm debating on getting an emerald from Tianyu because my sales rep (Sue) says their emeralds are bright, but I just don't trust it. I wish they would be more consistent with their colored gemstones!

Ah so i've picked the wrong cut twice :lol:
It was a group buy so i didn't feel comfortable to bother the rep to show/hand pick a stone for me. This was a cheap ring to test the water before i'm going to customize one.
Good to know about Tianyu, i've seen Jelly gems lab emeralds and they look so beautiful.

Hmm mine isn't as murky as yours, mine is actually too clean hahaha
Irl the color is more vibrant.

1091C4ED-5569-48C7-86EF-D7C74F46EF41.jpeg

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
It was a group buy so i didn't feel comfortable to bother the rep to show/hand pick a stone for me. This was a cheap ring to test the water before i'm going to customize one.
Good to know about Tianyu, i've seen Jelly gems lab emeralds and they look so beautiful.

Not fair, your stone is much prettier than mine! :cry2::lol-2: I really got a dud. I’d sell this ring, but it’s silver and the color is so ugly I doubt anyone would want it.

I don’t know if you’d want Tianyu’s emeralds. Sue sent me a video and they’re very clean, not included at all, if that’s what you’re looking for. The color is ok (much better than mine), but they don’t differentiate between Colombian and Zambian. I’ll post some screenshots on the Tianyu thread.

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock

I have lab emeralds from both Jellylab and Starsgem. IMHO the Jelly ones looked nicer in the photos than in real life. I would say they were just okay because they were cleaner in person and not as included as they looked online.

The Starsgem emerald I specifically requested a stone with inclusions, lighter tone, and opted for a busier cut because I was really worried about windows. I think these things may have helped because I was happy with the stone.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I have lab emeralds from both Jellylab and Starsgem. IMHO the Jelly ones looked nicer in the photos than in real life. I would say they were just okay because they were cleaner in person and not as included as they looked online.

The Starsgem emerald I specifically requested a stone with inclusions, lighter tone, and opted for a busier cut because I was really worried about windows. I think these things may have helped because I was happy with the stone.

I think what you advised would be fine for individual orders. For group buys this might not be possible given the volume of orders the individual sales rep is handling. @Ra2nl and I participated in different group buys so neither of us were able to ask our sales rep to handpick a stone. For my loose sapphire (also a dud), I had asked Demi for a video, but she was more concerned with shipping out my ring asap which from her perspective, I understand. It’s very possible one might be able to if he/she has a strong relationship with the sales rep organizing the group order, though.

If I decide to try out their emeralds again, I’ll definitely try and ask for my rep to handpick a better stone. For now I might just hold off as the quality isn’t as consistent as I’d have hoped. :confused2:

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
I think what you advised would be fine for individual orders. For group buys this might not be possible given the volume of orders the individual sales rep is handling. @Ra2nl and I participated in different group buys so neither of us were able to ask our sales rep to handpick a stone. For my loose sapphire (also a dud), I had asked Demi for a video, but she was more concerned with shipping out my ring asap which from her perspective, I understand. It’s very possible one might be able to if he/she has a strong relationship with the sales rep organizing the group order, though.

If I decide to try out their emeralds again, I’ll definitely try and ask for my rep to handpick a better stone. For now I might just hold off as the quality isn’t as consistent as I’d have hoped. :confused2:

Ahh yes true. It would probably be harder to choose your stone for group buys. My emerald ring was an individual order, so I can recommend via that process at least.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I realize that this thread is inactive, but for anyone who is curious, I thought I'd show a comparison between Starsgem's "Colombian" green lab emerald with a couple of natural emeralds. The larger stone is a natural Colombian emerald that I purchased recently; not sure about the origin of the smaller stone, but it is natural from what David Klass told me (I posted that ring in the CS daily thread!).

IMG_5955.jpeg IMG_5956.jpeg

I'm debating on resetting the Starsgem lab emerald into a pendant and tossing the ring as it's silver. Hmmm...

Ra2nl

Shiny_Rock
I realize that this thread is inactive, but for anyone who is curious, I thought I'd show a comparison between Starsgem's "Colombian" green lab emerald with a couple of natural emeralds. The larger stone is a natural Colombian emerald that I purchased recently; not sure about the origin of the smaller stone, but it is natural from what David Klass told me (I posted that ring in the CS daily thread!).

I'm debating on resetting the Starsgem lab emerald into a pendant and tossing the ring as it's silver. Hmmm...

I love the colors of the natural stones more than the lab one. Still haven't found any lab emeralds i like......
If the cost is not much, i would let the jeweler remove the basket and polish the silver ring.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I love the colors of the natural stones more than the lab one. Still haven't found any lab emeralds i like......
If the cost is not much, i would let the jeweler remove the basket and polish the silver ring.

I think Precision Gems might have good hypothermal emerald rough. I saw someone post their emerald from them and it looked really pretty. It’ll just cost significantly more than the Chinese vendors….but I think after my experience I’d rather pay more for something that’s guaranteed vs less on a crapshoot.

Ra2nl

Shiny_Rock
I think Precision Gems might have good hypothermal emerald rough. I saw someone post their emerald from them and it looked really pretty. It’ll just cost significantly more than the Chinese vendors….but I think after my experience I’d rather pay more for something that’s guaranteed vs less on a crapshoot.

I agree with you with rather paying more. Thanks will check out Precision Gems

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock

Given that you’re underwhelmed with the stone I wouldn’t bother with the hassle or expense of rehoming it into a pendant. Won’t you just end up with an underwhelming pendant instead of an underwhelming ring?

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Given that you’re underwhelmed with the stone I wouldn’t bother with the hassle or expense of rehoming it into a pendant. Won’t you just end up with an underwhelming pendant instead of an underwhelming ring?
I think if the emerald were in a pendant and in yellow gold I can live with it. It’s just seeing it on my hand all the time makes me really not like it. But we’ll see. It’s a very low priority and I won’t commit to it for a while. The only other option would just be to throw the ring and stone away since I have a hard time selling it. :(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results