shape
carat
color
clarity

Moissanite rings from Starsgem on ebay (starsgem8)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know! Their pics/video still are the most challenging part about ordering. I can see arrows, and they don’t look too splintery, that’s a good sign right? Not trying to pass it off as a diamond, but don’t always want to explain the magic of moissanite to everyone I meet.
I think it will look great in person. Do I think it'll be the 100% best and greatest moissanite you've ever seen and could go head to head with ideal cut diamonds? Not positive. Maybe? But do I think it'll look amazing and sparkly and make you happy? Definitely. Obviously it *could* be the best stone you've ever seen, which would be awesome. But I am confident that you won't be disappointed with it. I feel like I was in exactly the same boat with my custom cuts from SG. Was I sure they'd be as amazing as they were? DEFINITELY NOT! But I knew from the videos I wouldn't open the box and feel like I threw $$ away or wanted to return them, and that was enough for me. But I was happily surprised.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I know! Their pics/video still are the most challenging part about ordering. I can see arrows, and they don’t look too splintery, that’s a good sign right? Not trying to pass it off as a diamond, but don’t always want to explain the magic of moissanite to everyone I meet.
Oh my god this drives me crazy! What is it with making video’s so challenging. It looks like they were filming through a fan! They were doing better for about a month. Who is your rep?

Did you see the solitaire that someone posted on reddit yesterday? It had beautiful strong arrows. I would copy her video and send it back to them and say you want to make sure it looks like that. It is one of the best I have seen so if you get that, then I know you will be happy....

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my god this drives me crazy! What is it with making video’s so challenging. It looks like they were filming through a fan! They were doing better for about a month. Who is your rep?

Did you see the solitaire that someone posted on reddit yesterday? It had beautiful strong arrows. I would copy her video and send it back to them and say you want to make sure it looks like that. It is one of the best I have seen so if you get that, then I know you will be happy....
I did see the solitaire. That is exactly what made me want to give them a second chance. My rep is Demi again, because ultimately everything was okay with my last order. Demi says the stone is H&A; just so flipping hard to judge it based off their pics.
3238F8C5-D624-4C8C-BB2D-FA22841C6607.png
A080DBDE-38E5-43A1-AB9A-B998D2F25B97.png
Here’s my conversation; I feel I was very clear about expectations. Any final thoughts on the stone?

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did see the solitaire. That is exactly what made me want to give them a second chance. My rep is Demi again, because ultimately everything was okay with my last order. Demi says the stone is H&A; just so flipping hard to judge it based off their pics.
Here’s my conversation; I feel I was very clear about expectations. Any final thoughts on the stone?
I think you'll be really happy with it!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Cherry didn’t write me back but the guy I was helping did. He said that they pulled the stone from the mail pile and have replaced it with a regular H&A cut. I guess he was working with Sue and I think they are getting confused when we say ‘strong arrows’ because that is how we used to make the distinction between Round Brilliant and H&A. I guess it is fine if people check but I have a feeling that people who may order after reading early parts of the thread could end up with a transitional cut. Still looks good but just different. I also said that the previous video that you also mentioned is an H&A and not a transitional cut. I think she was just confused (?)

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Have a few better pics of my ACC ring after finally getting it out of custom’s. I am still worried about the height of this one. I am hoping it is not a bad as the last but it is looking pretty high. Love the setting though and went for a skinny 2 mm band, which I don’t usually do but there was no pave. The ACC does not look as crisp as the square one I had cut at the same time. I guess I have to wait until I see it in person. Hopefully it will get here by Friday. I do like how I randomly ended up with a ‘W’ in the center for my name....

https://imgur.com/a/8MsViWN

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have a few better pics of my ACC ring after finally getting it out of custom’s. I am still worried about the height of this one. I am hoping it is not a bad as the last but it is looking pretty high. Love the setting though and went for a skinny 2 mm band, which I don’t usually do but there was no pave. The ACC does not look as crisp as the square one I had cut at the same time. I guess I have to wait until I see it in person. Hopefully it will get here by Friday. I do like how I randomly ended up with a ‘W’ in the center for my name....

https://imgur.com/a/8MsViWN
I think it looks great!!!!!! Can't wait to see pics once you get it.

cressyrose

Rough_Rock
Who are people working with now that Grace has left? Such a bummer, honestly. I loved working with Grace!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Who are people working with now that Grace has left? Such a bummer, honestly. I loved working with Grace!
I still work with Cherry but Demi is a good one too. There is also LuLu, Sue and Lucy now as new rep’s.

Mamicee

Rough_Rock

I been working with Demi! I did talk to Grace before I spoke to demi, but for some reason I ended up with Demi with all my ring projects. She’s great!

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I got picture from Demi of my band and ring.
The picture of the band is great- I’ve requested a side profile shot, but I like that it’s not a dainty little band. I think it will hold up well to everyday wear and be substantial enough to wear alone.
D602B272-4DA8-4F40-B708-200881CA5FE3.jpeg
She also sent me pictures of the ring. The metal work looks nice- I copied someone else’s CAD, and it was a relatively simple solitaire. But oh me gee- what do I need to do to get a half decent picture of the moissanite? In my heart, I’d like to think that the stone will be lovely, but once again, the picture are seriously lacking- I have no indication of the cut quality from the pictures. :(2
D2CD86B0-D11C-442B-B52E-81BD053F387B.jpeg 9E64A7C6-F6AC-4B86-9329-7EE9E0ACE24C.jpeg E13D394D-A5E5-4E4E-8E63-98DD5642C1D8.jpeg
I’ve requested a few more pictures. I hope Demi doesn’t think I’m a difficult customer- I don’t barter, I haven’t sent anything back, but this is the second time I’ve worked with her, and the quality of her pictures does not seem to have improved. :confused2:

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock
I got picture from Demi of my band and ring.
The picture of the band is great- I’ve requested a side profile shot, but I like that it’s not a dainty little band. I think it will hold up well to everyday wear and be substantial enough to wear alone.
D602B272-4DA8-4F40-B708-200881CA5FE3.jpeg
She also sent me pictures of the ring. The metal work looks nice- I copied someone else’s CAD, and it was a relatively simple solitaire. But oh me gee- what do I need to do to get a half decent picture of the moissanite? In my heart, I’d like to think that the stone will be lovely, but once again, the picture are seriously lacking- I have no indication of the cut quality from the pictures. :(2
D2CD86B0-D11C-442B-B52E-81BD053F387B.jpeg 9E64A7C6-F6AC-4B86-9329-7EE9E0ACE24C.jpeg E13D394D-A5E5-4E4E-8E63-98DD5642C1D8.jpeg
I’ve requested a few more pictures. I hope Demi doesn’t think I’m a difficult customer- I don’t barter, I haven’t sent anything back, but this is the second time I’ve worked with her, and the quality of her pictures does not seem to have improved. :confused2:

Moissanite in general looks its worst indoors, especially in office lighting. Tell her to take it outside in the sunlight to get a good pic!

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Moissanite in general looks its worst indoors, especially in office lighting. Tell her to take it outside in the sunlight to get a good pic!
I have several moissanite rings- most of them look fine indoors, it really is just their pictures that are lacking. I’ve requested additional pictures; you can’t blame someone for wanting good photos for an item that would be exceptionally challenging to return or exchange.
I’ve worked with Demi before too- my enlongated cushion was from StarsGem... it’s a very pretty ring, but the pictures I received made the moissanite look like plastic.
There was word that photo quality was being addressed, and some of the reps do take nice pictures, but the photos I got come up short.

Last edited:

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock
I have several moissanite rings- most of them look fine indoors, it really is just their pictures that are lacking. I’ve requested additional pictures; you cane blame someone for wanting good photos for an item that would be exceptionally challenging to return or exchange.
I’ve worked with Demi before too- my enlongated cushion was from StarsGem... it’s a very pretty ring, but the pictures I received made the moissanite look like plastic.
There was word that photo quality was being addressed, and some of the reps do take nice pictures, but the photos I got come up short.

To clarify, I didn’t say they look bad indoors; they just don’t look as good as they do in natural light. If you look at August Vintage’s Instagram a lot of them are taken outside or near a window. No one thinks your request is outlandish; I was merely offering a suggestion so you can get a good look at your stone.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
To clarify, I didn’t say they look bad indoors; they just don’t look as good as they do in natural light. If you look at August Vintage’s Instagram a lot of them are taken outside or near a window. No one thinks your request is outlandish; I was merely offering a suggestion so you can get a good look at your stone.
Sorry if anything came off as defensive! I do appreciate your feedback and hope to get some better pictures before they ship :D
The issue with the photos has been the most difficult part about working with this vendor. To their credit, their prices are more than fair, reps are friendly and responsive, and the quality of their products seems to be consistently good!
There’s nothing like being woken up at 2:00 am because of a WhatsApp notification only to find pictures you can’t make heads or tails of :P2 I will need some extra coffee today!

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock
Sorry if anything came off as defensive! I do appreciate your feedback and hope to get some better pictures before they ship :D
The issue with the photos has been the most difficult part about working with this vendor. To their credit, their prices are more than fair, reps are friendly and responsive, and the quality of their products seems to be consistently good!
There’s nothing like being woken up at 2:00 am because of a WhatsApp notification only to find pictures you can’t make heads or tails of :P2 I will need some extra coffee today!

I get it! My husband's staff was calling at 3am... I need all the extra caffeine today!

Muimui

Rough_Rock
Hi Ladies,

Just joined PS as I was looking for reviews about Stargem and found this thread. I bought rings from Tianyu last year and wanted to make a new ring, but notice the hike in price, so I'm thinking of trying Stargems. I was abit hesitant to go with Stargems because some post I read in WB seems to be a hit and miss, but are they better now?

@swaye2010 and anyone who ordered from Stargems, I'm wondering if you can share your opinion? I'm hoping to get a Elongated Cushion, but I can't decide if I want a brilliant cut or a OMC. Which do you think Stargems is better at cutting or do you think Tianyu would be better?

Thanks! :geek2:

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ladies,

Just joined PS as I was looking for reviews about Stargem and found this thread. I bought rings from Tianyu last year and wanted to make a new ring, but notice the hike in price, so I'm thinking of trying Stargems. I was abit hesitant to go with Stargems because some post I read in WB seems to be a hit and miss, but are they better now?

@swaye2010 and anyone who ordered from Stargems, I'm wondering if you can share your opinion? I'm hoping to get a Elongated Cushion, but I can't decide if I want a brilliant cut or a OMC. Which do you think Stargems is better at cutting or do you think Tianyu would be better?

For the Elongated cushion, StarsGem has a better stone if you want the long thin culet. Tianyu does the pinhole culet and light performance isn’t always the best because of it.
I’ve received nice items from both vendors but would suggest keeping the rings relatively simple, and finding CADs in these threads to send them for reference. The experience isn’t bad with either but expect it to be more involved than if you were working with a stateside or local jeweler.
Here is a picture of my cushion from StarsGem. Love the big chunky flashes of color
E77850D5-D245-4898-A6FD-836148B63845.jpeg

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ladies,

I have been ordering from SG since 2017. They have definitely gotten much better over the last year. We were talking about them on the ebay thread on WB for a good year but someone else started her own thread to talk about SG on WB so the continuation of the progress has sort of been lost.

I have had 3 of the antique cushion’s and I would suggest that as the best cut. If you look at the pictures from @anagel, you can see how well her’s turned out. I prefer SG at the moment because I would rather get lab diamond pave and they haven’t raised their prices like Tianyu. If you wanted something from Tianyu, I would just stick with a loose stone and get it made over here because It is almost the equivalent of what David Klass could do a setting for if it had no pave.

As mentioned, Tianyu does the pinhole culet although you can request the long, thin one. I just think on this particular cut, that SG has it down. GL!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@anangel or @swaye2010

Is there a difference between the "elongated cushion" and the "antique cushion" for Starsgem?

And @anangel
May I ask you what size your cushion is? I'd like to know the mm and carat, if you know it. (you are a pricescoper, so I'm thinking you do :) )

Thanks!

Muimui

Rough_Rock
@anangel Is there a specific culet size you requested for your gem? I had ordered a round culet from TY before, do was thinking maybe I should try the long culet as the ones you ladies have looks just nice.

@swaye2010 Is Cherry still taking in new customer? Or is there someone else I can try who is as good as Cherry? The TY sale rep I spoke to wasn't really nice... :confused2:

Also, with regards to workmanship from SG, are the pave rings durable? I hesitated from ordering delicate settings because I read someone's melee stones had fallen off after a few days of wear, but that post was last year and I'm hoping SG would have done enough rings and improve overtime

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
@anangel or @swaye2010

Is there a difference between the "elongated cushion" and the "antique cushion" for Starsgem?

And @anangel
May I ask you what size your cushion is? I'd like to know the mm and carat, if you know it. (you are a pricescoper, so I'm thinking you do :) )

Thanks!
My cushion is 9 by 7.5. I believe that in the ballpark of 2.5 carats. My finger size is 6
Regarding the difference, send them a picture of what you’re looking for. I think I called it an elongated antique cushion when I ordered it, but send pictures so they have a visual reference.

Muimui

Rough_Rock
@anangel Got it. Do I just show them a picture of your ring and tell them that's the culet size I want? Or do you have another picture you sent them?
Also, is SG ok with cutting stones with different dimensions compared to the usual?
I'm thinking of either a 8*7 or a 8.5*7 but the latter one is not really the usual size...

Thanks!!

Last edited:

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@anangel
Thank you! I will definitely send a picture.
I love the size of your ring on your hand. I wear a size 6, too. I'm just worrying that it will feel too big in person. Decisions.....

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
@anangel Is there a specific culet size you requested for your gem? I had ordered a round culet from TY before, do was thinking maybe I should try the long culet as the ones you ladies have looks just nice.

@swaye2010 Is Cherry still taking in new customer? Or is there someone else I can try who is as good as Cherry? The TY sale rep I spoke to wasn't really nice... :confused2:

Also, with regards to workmanship from SG, are the pave rings durable? I hesitated from ordering delicate settings because I read someone's melee stones had fallen off after a few days of wear, but that post was last year and I'm hoping SG would have done enough rings and improve overtime
I believe I asked for medium, thin on the cutlet.
Regarding pave, don’t go too thin on the band, and you always ask for a few extra stones for repairs. I highly recommend lab diamonds instead of moissanite on the pave.

Muimui

Rough_Rock
@anangel Don't mind if I ask for educational purposes, but why medium? As in, does medium refer to the length of the culet?

And thank you for the tip on extra stones!!

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
@anangel Got it. Do I just show them a picture of your ring and tell them that's the culet size I want? Or do you have another picture you sent them?
Also, is SG ok with cutting stones with different dimensions compared to the usual?
I'm thinking of either a 8*7 or a 8.5*7 but the latter one is not really the usual size...

Thanks!!
8 x 7 is a pretty common size. It ends up being a delightfully chunky cushion. Great size! And feel free to send them pics of my ring or any in this thread that are a good example of what you’re looking for. A picture is worth a thousand words :D

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
@anangel Don't mind if I ask for educational purposes, but why medium? As in, does medium refer to the length of the culet?

And thank you for the tip on extra stones!!
Medium long was what I’ve asked for because I was trying to get closer the the August Vintage Cushion style- just preference. I’ve seen a few stones where they’ve taken long a little to far in my opinion, and visually, I just don’t find it appealing. But to each their own!

Muimui

Rough_Rock
Medium long was what I’ve asked for because I was trying to get closer the the August Vintage Cushion style- just preference. I’ve seen a few stones where they’ve taken long a little to far in my opinion, and visually, I just don’t find it appealing. But to each their own!

I understand what you mean now.

I'll have to go through all these pages to find pictures of what I want and cads as well.

Muimui

Rough_Rock
What are all your inputs with regards to having a stone set in NESW prongs? I really like the ones made by truegem but I heard that having NESW prongs means the edges of the stones are exposed and can easily chip. Is that true?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results