shape
carat
color
clarity

Modern diamond cutting factory video

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have visited this factory in Surat a few times. The owners are highly ethical and very clever.
Very little is left to chance.
One reason why the comparison between natural and man made diamond pricing is irrelevant is that most of these technologies and the super smart scientists involved in the planning of cutting natural diamonds.
Probably 2/3rds to 3/4's of the cost of polishing a natural diamond is in the planning and grading. There is no complexity in planning the cutting of a slab of CVD diamond.

Eventually there will be no purpose in grading man made diamonds.
The current practice of selling with prices compared to natural diamonds will dissolve over time.

There will always be a market for natural diamonds because of the allure.
There will always be a place for LGD's for fun and fashion.
I hope we can see people doing better clever things with the man mad material. Wonderful artistic new cuts etc. Use of dial up colors in rainbows etc.

Enjoy:

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I guess women aren't allowed to work there! There's not a single woman in that video. (Unless the hands of the person in the packing department belong to a woman.)

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow, I guess women aren't allowed to work there! There's not a single woman in that video. (Unless the hands of the person in the packing department belong to a woman.)
You are correct. There are many women in that company in admin roles.
But the same problem world over is that women are not attracted to STEM fields other than medical based.
My partner Vera was in many of her jobs the only woman working in IT where a maths background was required.
As to the polishing and manual dexterity - a factory in Sri Lanka owned by Rosy Blue that I visited 15 years ago had exclusively female polishers.
Not a man to be seen.
I think the issue is that in a lot of 'paternalistic' countries mixed work forces are not without their sex related problems.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably 2/3rds to 3/4's of the cost of polishing a natural diamond is in the planning and grading. There is no complexity in planning the cutting of a slab of CVD diamond.

Eventually there will be no purpose in grading man made diamonds.
The current practice of selling with prices compared to natural diamonds will dissolve over time.

Interesting subject!

the quoted section makes me think of a recently posted thread, about all us readers distinguishing between “opinion posts” and “fact posts”.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Interesting subject!

the quoted section makes me think of a recently posted thread, about all us readers distinguishing between “opinion posts” and “fact posts”.

I did a webinar on LGDs and Natural diamonds 2 months ago. One of the other participants was a senior person from Swarovski. They are going big into LGDs and have no intention of using lab certs.
Brands.
Tiffany DIY etc

oceanblue

Shiny_Rock
This is the lab grown section so this is a video of lab grown diamond cutting? It was very nice to see the rough material.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I did a webinar on LGDs and Natural diamonds 2 months ago. One of the other participants was a senior person from Swarovski. They are going big into LGDs and have no intention of using lab certs.
Brands.
Tiffany DIY etc

Ah, taking the Moissanite approach:
FAB
C&C
...etc

I think there will still be a place for LGDs with certs: all the price competitive retailers with access to huge inventories. Will give them the ability to stay afloat in the face of the big dogs that run on name recognition alone, such as Tiffany and Swarovski.

If the LGD market shifts strictly to big name retailers, then the advantages of choosing LGDs disappears for the customer and that's not good for anyone, except for the Earth diamond mining oligopoly.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Which part is the bruting? (Or, what is bruting?)

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Watched it?
The rounding and shaping that leaves frosted surfaces by grinding.

Yes, I watched it all (also noticed the lack of women and wondered too what stops the gents walking out the door with the diamonds). I wondered if I had missed the bruting part, thanks for explaining.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, I watched it all (also noticed the lack of women and wondered too what stops the gents walking out the door with the diamonds). I wondered if I had missed the bruting part, thanks for explaining.
There will be random checks, plus they earn 5 figure salaries plus bonuses. So why steal if you and your family are already living like kings.

Plus. Every diamond is tracked from the piece of rough back to the source nation of the rough. So if a piece goes missing an alarm goes off and all those with access are under suspicion.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the LGD market shifts strictly to big name retailers, then the advantages of choosing LGDs disappears for the customer and that's not good for anyone, except for the Earth diamond mining oligopoly.

repeat it enough so the consumer demand/ interest wanes and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Or goal?

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
So cool thanks for posting!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
1621809276131.png repeat it enough so the consumer demand/ interest wanes and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Or goal?

I am not sure about either of these statements. They were made in response to one of my comments. So I need to ask.

To clarify: I believe LGD's have a huge role to play in the total diamond industry. Just as I have worked for +20 years to improve the cut quality and appearance of diamonds, I welcome the opportunity for people to become diamond owners of gem quality diamonds. Not 'near gem' rubbish.

I also believe that brands entering the market is a natural consequence of many questionable practices in the LGD business. Notably "sell off". The cost making and polishing a larger CVD diamond of double the size should never be more than double. The cost of double the size natural diamond is four times.
LGD sellers are ripping people off. Over time competition will reduce that issue and democratise LGD's and their pricing.

oceanblue

Shiny_Rock
By any chance to do have a video of a company that cuts MMD's? It would be interesting to see the difference,

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
By any chance to do have a video of a company that cuts MMD's? It would be interesting to see the difference,

Basically from 5:30 in this video. There may also be some laser sawing to reduce the amount of shaping and bruting required.
Up until 10 minutes (because eventually when all the quality issues are solved there will be no need for grading or photography - except for the unique amore creative cuts that will be coming one day - like Yoram from Gemconcepts is doing).

oceanblue

Shiny_Rock
Oh OK though this is not a MMD cutting facility. So your position is that MMD diamond pricing will decrease and the quality of rough will increase? Do you see the current go to PS MMD vendors lowering their pricing in the near future? Or is the transition/improvements going to take 5-10 years?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh OK though this is not a MMD cutting facility. So your position is that MMD diamond pricing will decrease and the quality of rough will increase? Do you see the current go to PS MMD vendors lowering their pricing in the near future? Or is the transition/improvements going to take 5-10 years?
Good questions OB1
Not an MMD factory, but the second part of the process is identical.
So the cost of cutting is less, and will eventually be the largest part of the cost of MMD's.
The cost and quality of rough is falling and improving rapidly.
The main factor will be patent related. As the early companies patents expire this will be a game changer.
e.g. Charles & Colvard's patents for moissonite began expiring a few years ago - we now have non green tinted much prettier gems at a tiny fraction of their original stones.
This will all happen over several years.

If you buy a stone today for say $10,000 and it is replaceable in 8 years time for say $2,000 then you have had a cost of enjoyment of $500 a year. Just like a car. But way better than shoes or dresses.
This is a factor that many people miss when comparing the retail price vs reselling price of all types of gems and diamonds.

oceanblue

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the response. I agree no reason to wait 5 years for price to drop and lose 5 years of enjoyment as long as a person does not go overboard.

Now when are they going to finally create man made gold?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results