shape
carat
color
clarity

Missydebby's Review: Perry Cushion vs GOG AVC w/pics

jgny

Shiny_Rock
missy - just wanted to thank you for posting this - i've looked at both avc's and l/p cushions and i really do feel that it's such a personal choice. cushions have so much variety that there is so much that goes into what makes a cushion beautiful. i haven't found my perfect cushion YET but i hope to. your analysis is very helpful and appreciated...

now, go ROCK those ROCKS!!!

:appl:

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to link to this new thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-cushion-adrianna.147668/

with a L/P cushion in a Leon Adrianna ring. It's so much different than mine. Higher crown, smaller table. It's "puffier" and more rounded. Just goes to show ya. I think that if you source form Leon, there's quite a broad variety, all beautiful, that he can get you. So it's important to decide just what elements you want and ask for them. On the other hand, the AVC's also have variety, ie. circular or longish cutlets, but more is which is upfront and handy to see online.

I have lots of family in town, so it may be awhile before I can post my final summary thoughts. I try to get to that sooner rather than later.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
missydebby said:
arjunajane said:
Yssie said:
Ditto Charmy - this is a fascinating journal of just how much personal taste plays into choosing a stone!

agree also. This is a good example of how someone's tastes and preferences are showing when comparing two styles of "antique-look" cushions.
However, due to the size and colour differences, the differences in settings and the fact that MissDebby is so very clearly in adoration of the LM ring, I think it is just that though - a personal account of preferences. Would MissDebby like the AVC better if it were set in the perfect Leon ring...? :devil: :?:
There are too many variables for it to be an accurate comparison between the two cuts.

No criticism taken, my beautiful Arjunanjane! This is a great point that I slightly alluded to. See, Leon makes all his rings customized to fit the center stone. So since I can't see my stone IRL in anything other than in the ring, I can' t be fully objective... and I feel positive that had I gotten an AVC in the ring, I'd be just as satisfied, you know?

And this goes out to CCL (if he's lurking) but I can also see a bit of self preservation in my review. I love both stones and there's a part of me that wants to defend both and like them best just how I have them. In other words, how disappointing would it be to have both types of cushion and want them switched? I actually considered this when purchasing, cause I didn't want to sabotage my happiness if I totally preferred one over the other.

The other important factor is that they aren't the same size. I'm gonna address that in the FIRE post because I am curious for all y'alls input as to how much the size of the stone would influence that, especially in comparison.

Hey again Debby!
I am very happy you took my comments the way they were intended.
Thank you for sharing your very honest thoughts on these subjects- I can totally understand 'self preservation' in posting and sure numbers of us have done it to defend a purchase of some sort at one stage or another.

However, it is clear from your postings that you are in adoration with your diamond and lovely ring (which looks awesome on your hand btw!), so this is really all that matters in the end. :))

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to let y'all know that I haven't fallen off the face of the earth, but that most of my large family is here for a multi-day family reunion. So I hope to finish off my review next week.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Hey PS Lovelies! It's 11:30 and everyone's in bed save yours truly. I'm using this break in the family reunion to get out my last and final comments. I wanna talk about my buying experiences, price, and overall plusses and minuses.

First of all, that for all intents and purposes, I'm an overseas buyer. Thus, I had a very specific time window in which to get my ring.

My journey started with shopping for antique rings with a top spending limit of $5,000. Quickly, I realized that I was really uncertain what quality of stone(s) I would be getting. Next, I almost bought a diamond cushion from Mondera, without any photo, let alone aset, video or what not. I saw the same stone listed on James Allen for $500 less. So I cancelled my Mondera order and called JA. The very courteous associate told me very upfront that what I selected was not the best. We spoke about what I wanted and I watched some videos on Youtube that happened to be from GOG. From the videos, I decided I wanted an antique chunky cushion. They found 3, got the asets, and had their gemologist take a look. I had also found Pricescope. I uploaded the pics and asets, and the feedback I got was less than great. Since I had gotten some great info on Youtube from GOG, I headed over to the site to look at the AVC's. While I was thinking about a few of the stones, I spent more time on PS just drinking in the info. Which lead me to Leon Mege's link. I was blown away. I decided what was important to me was the whole package: the stone and setting made for each other. I knew right then and there I wanted the artistry and mastery of a Leon Mege.

I still had one stone on hold from JA. It was a .91 F VS2. Below is a photo. It was very sparkly, according to JA's gemologist and a very good price of $3100. I sent that photo and the stats into Leon for a quote.

F%20VS1%20.91.jpg

Leon got back to me within 24 hours. The ring I selected for a quote wouldn't quite work with that stone. I said that after some feedback I had gotten I probably wasn't going to buy it. Here's the good part. Leon was very clear that he didn't want to steal anyone's business and if I liked the stone, he could work with me on a design that worked for the stone. That was very impressive to me. Even though the stone was an awesome price, in the end, I felt I really wanted to hit the 1 carat mark (mind weight ;-) ) and not spend good money after mediocre.

So then it was off on my cushion hunt. I read a thread where a buyer bought his diamond at GOG, had it dropped off to Leon, and then felt Leon's price was just too high. He needed GOG to actually go and retrieve the diamond for him. Shows what great guys the people at GOG are. It also shows that sometimes it can be extra hassle buying a diamond from one store and having it set at another. Plus, if you buy your diamond from GOG and have them take it to Leon for you, you end up having to pay state sales tax. That can add a lot. I know Wintotty bought her AVC, had it sent to her in another state, and then sent that to Leon- thus avoiding that tax. I, however, did not have that option. And I just wanted to avoid any hassles. Since I knew that I absolutely had to have a Leon, it made my path clearer. Go to Perry and have him source my center diamond.

I told Perry I wanted D-F, IF-VS2. And my price was basically $5500 or lower. He had two in house that could be a fit. One was a D IF .91 and the other was a E VS2 1.01. Here's one of the pictures that he sent me:

EVS2Cushion.jpg

The D IF is on the left and the E VS2 is on the right. Now, let it be known that I have a little bit of a hang up on the idea of owning a completely overkill D IF. I wanted so much to love that one. But the other just sang to me. It was $5100, and just gorgeous said Perry.

Here's where I did something many people would not be willing to do. I went with it because I trusted Leon's and Perry's eye. I didn't have video. Nor an aset. But I had the eyes of people whose aesthetic I felt was superb.

I paid for the stone and had a series of emails and phone discussions with Leon to get the final design.

my%20ring%20layout%20good%20size.jpg

I had nothing but great discussions and I felt like Leon really "got" what I was after.

Leon/Perry Sourced Cushions Pros and Cons:

PROS
- It's one of the most sparkly diamonds I've ever seen.
- The price was great. I looked up the GIA number and I guess it was in circulation before. Anyway, the vendor that had it before, whenever that was, was charging $550 more.
- It reduced my hassle significantly to have the diamond and setting done under 1 roof.

CONS
-I guess I was fine without an aset, cause I knew that the best non-branded cushion was still gonna lose an aset match with an AVC. But I would have loved having video.
-Even if you trust the eyes of your vendor, it's still risky just taking their word for it and only going by photos.

Whew. Excuse me for stringing this out further, but I haven't got the will to finish up tonight. The next post will go over AVC's and GOG and my final conclusions. Thanks for reading and your patience. Now I go to sleepyville. ::)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missydebby said:
Hey PS Lovelies! It's 11:30 and everyone's in bed save yours truly. I'm using this break in the family reunion to get out my last and final comments. I wanna talk about my buying experiences, price, and overall plusses and minuses.

First of all, that for all intents and purposes, I'm an overseas buyer. Thus, I had a very specific time window in which to get my ring.

My journey started with shopping for antique rings with a top spending limit of $5,000. Quickly, I realized that I was really uncertain what quality of stone(s) I would be getting. Next, I almost bought a diamond cushion from Mondera, without any photo, let alone aset, video or what not. I saw the same stone listed on James Allen for $500 less. So I cancelled my Mondera order and called JA. The very courteous associate told me very upfront that what I selected was not the best. We spoke about what I wanted and I watched some videos on Youtube that happened to be from GOG. From the videos, I decided I wanted an antique chunky cushion. They found 3, got the asets, and had their gemologist take a look. I had also found Pricescope. I uploaded the pics and asets, and the feedback I got was less than great. Since I had gotten some great info on Youtube from GOG, I headed over to the site to look at the AVC's. While I was thinking about a few of the stones, I spent more time on PS just drinking in the info. Which lead me to Leon Mege's link. I was blown away. I decided what was important to me was the whole package: the stone and setting made for each other. I knew right then and there I wanted the artistry and mastery of a Leon Mege.

I still had one stone on hold from JA. It was a .91 F VS2. Below is a photo. It was very sparkly, according to JA's gemologist and a very good price of $3100. I sent that photo and the stats into Leon for a quote.

F%20VS1%20.91.jpg

Leon got back to me within 24 hours. The ring I selected for a quote wouldn't quite work with that stone. I said that after some feedback I had gotten I probably wasn't going to buy it. Here's the good part. Leon was very clear that he didn't want to steal anyone's business and if I liked the stone, he could work with me on a design that worked for the stone. That was very impressive to me. Even though the stone was an awesome price, in the end, I felt I really wanted to hit the 1 carat mark (mind weight ;-) ) and not spend good money after mediocre.

So then it was off on my cushion hunt. I read a thread where a buyer bought his diamond at GOG, had it dropped off to Leon, and then felt Leon's price was just too high. He needed GOG to actually go and retrieve the diamond for him. Shows what great guys the people at GOG are. It also shows that sometimes it can be extra hassle buying a diamond from one store and having it set at another. Plus, if you buy your diamond from GOG and have them take it to Leon for you, you end up having to pay state sales tax. That can add a lot. I know Wintotty bought her AVC, had it sent to her in another state, and then sent that to Leon- thus avoiding that tax. I, however, did not have that option. And I just wanted to avoid any hassles. Since I knew that I absolutely had to have a Leon, it made my path clearer. Go to Perry and have him source my center diamond.

I told Perry I wanted D-F, IF-VS2. And my price was basically $5500 or lower. He had two in house that could be a fit. One was a D IF .91 and the other was a E VS2 1.01. Here's one of the pictures that he sent me:

EVS2Cushion.jpg

The D IF is on the left and the E VS2 is on the right. Now, let it be known that I have a little bit of a hang up on the idea of owning a completely overkill D IF. I wanted so much to love that one. But the other just sang to me. It was $5100, and just gorgeous said Perry.

Here's where I did something many people would not be willing to do. I went with it because I trusted Leon's and Perry's eye. I didn't have video. Nor an aset. But I had the eyes of people whose aesthetic I felt was superb.

I paid for the stone and had a series of emails and phone discussions with Leon to get the final design.

my%20ring%20layout%20good%20size.jpg

I had nothing but great discussions and I felt like Leon really "got" what I was after.

Leon/Perry Sourced Cushions Pros and Cons:

PROS
- It's one of the most sparkly diamonds I've ever seen.
- The price was great. I looked up the GIA number and I guess it was in circulation before. Anyway, the vendor that had it before, whenever that was, was charging $550 more.
- It reduced my hassle significantly to have the diamond and setting done under 1 roof.

CONS
-I guess I was fine without an aset, cause I knew that the best non-branded cushion was still gonna lose an aset match with an AVC. But I would have loved having video.
-Even if you trust the eyes of your vendor, it's still risky just taking their word for it and only going by photos.

Whew. Excuse me for stringing this out further, but I haven't got the will to finish up tonight. The next post will go over AVC's and GOG and my final conclusions. Thanks for reading and your patience. Now I go to sleepyville. ::)

Thanks for continuing this review missydebby! Your story makes a compelling read - and I can completely understand why the E on the right stole your heart in a way that the left stone just couldn't :)) Your trust in your vendors definitely worked out for the best, your ring and stone are just beautiful and I would love to see them IRL :love:

Just want to comment on the bit in red - though many do go to great lengths like wintotty apparently did to avoid one tax or the other, that doesn't make her (or anyone else's) actions any more legal, and it would be best to abstain from promoting this as a good idea on this forum.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Appreciate all your thoughts missdebby. Thanks a lot for taking the time.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie said:
[
Just want to comment on the bit in red - though many do go to great lengths like wintotty apparently did to avoid one tax or the other, that doesn't make her (or anyone else's) actions any more legal, and it would be best to abstain from promoting this as a good idea on this forum.

Hey Miss Yssie. Just want to point out this isn't illegal and I would never promote something illegal. This is the way internet buying works when the customer is not in the same state as the vendor. If I buy from GOG over the internet and do not live in NY, and they send it to me in another state, then as per state law, I do not pay NY state sales tax. If I go to GOG and buy it in their store, then, as per state law, I pay taxes. Now if you buy from GOG, who is in NY, and have them bring it to Leon, who is in NY, then as per state law, you pay state sales tax. All legal. Now believe me, many a state have wanted to change this as you can imagine! But this is the law as they stand.

Also, want to say, that as far as I know, Wintotty got the stone sent to her from GOG in order to look at it IRL, decide firmly upon it, and keep it until she choose her setting. So I don't want any implications that she was doing anything shady. Or that avoiding State sales taxes in a perfectly legal, above the board way, is shady. It's one of the joys of internet consumerism!!!

Thanks Yssie for bringing this up though. I do remember one thread in which the buyer had problems with Canadian customs after not declaring her purchase... and in no way do I advise doing anything not above board. Thanks for your vigilance 8-)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missydebby said:
Yssie said:
[

Hey Miss Yssie. Just want to point out this isn't illegal and I would never promote something illegal. This is the way internet buying works when the customer is not in the same state as the vendor. If I buy from GOG over the internet and do not live in NY, and they send it to me in another state, then as per state law, I do not pay NY state sales tax. If I go to GOG and buy it in their store, then, as per state law, I pay taxes. Now if you buy from GOG, who is in NY, and have them bring it to Leon, who is in NY, then as per state law, you pay state sales tax. All legal. Now believe me, many a state have wanted to change this as you can imagine! But this is the law as they stand.

Also, want to say, that as far as I know, Wintotty got the stone sent to her from GOG in order to look at it IRL, decide firmly upon it, and keep it until she choose her setting. So I don't want any implications that she was doing anything shady. Or that avoiding State sales taxes in a perfectly legal, above the board way, is shady. It's one of the joys of internet consumerism!!!

Thanks Yssie for bringing this up though. I do remember one thread in which the buyer had problems with Canadian customs after not declaring her purchase... and in no way do I advise doing anything not above board. Thanks for your vigilance 8-)

By not paying use tax on her purchase in her own state she did, in fact, do something illegal. Will she get caught? Most probably not.

journal-article-discussion-new/the-internet-and-sales-tax-a-free-ride-or-not-t129573.html

anitabee

Shiny_Rock
just chimining in here to say that i la-la-love the ring you ended up putting together! that stone is gorgeous and i'm so happy that you're happy!

i enjoyed reading your indepth navigation through the cushion sea!

well done :appl:

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I stand corrected re taxes. :errrr:

As far as getting a stone sent to you and then resending it on to be set without paying her own state's sales tax, let me state that that's what I think she did but I'm not sure. Don't want to impune. Also, if that's happened, I think near 90% or higher of people who do internet commerce are "guilty" of this.

But I never knew there was an issue. And I'm a diligent person. It's not like I even mind paying taxes... I live in Holland for heaven's sake :tongue: (We have a saying here: we have the poorest rich people and the richest poor people :lol: )

But I, probably like the majority of people out there, just assumed that it is an internet/between state thing.

Anywho, though I hate the news, thanks for pointing it out yssie. 8)

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
anitabee said:
just chimining in here to say that i la-la-love the ring you ended up putting together! that stone is gorgeous and i'm so happy that you're happy!

i enjoyed reading your indepth navigation through the cushion sea!

well done :appl:

Thanks so much anitabee! :))

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missydebby said:
I guess I stand corrected re taxes. :errrr:

As far as getting a stone sent to you and then resending it on to be set without paying her own state's sales tax, let me state that that's what I think she did but I'm not sure. Don't want to impune. Also, if that's happened, I think near 90% or higher of people who do internet commerce are "guilty" of this.

But I never knew there was an issue. And I'm a diligent person. It's not like I even mind paying taxes... I live in Holland for heaven's sake :tongue: (We have a saying here: we have the poorest rich people and the richest poor people :lol: )

But I, probably like the majority of people out there, just assumed that it is an internet/between state thing.

Anywho, though I hate the news, thanks for pointing it out yssie. 8)

;))
looking forward to more review! :))

ETA: I didn't mean to harp on wintotty, btw - I have no idea what she actually did/didn't do. That should've been a generic "he/she".

success

Rough_Rock
Hello Missydebby! Thanks for sharing. I love to read more about it. I love love your ring and earrings :appl:

katushka

Rough_Rock
These are the most wonderful posts—I've learned so much!

I love that you paired the cushion with the flatter, less puffy profile with those sleek side stones (the center stone and setting are so harmonious) and then picked the puffier, more dimensional stones for earrings so they really "pop".

I bought an AVC back in February and love the culet, faceting and wide flashes, but i really wish it had a puffier, chunkier look from the side. It was something i didnt prioritize at the time and wish i had. I still dont fully understand how to tell from stats if a cushion will look that way from the side... :(

Thanks for this great thread!! Can't wait to read more.

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
This is a great thread, and have probably commented on it already. Your review, your ring along with vbnet's ring, Chicky Monkey's ring and Bajabum's ring, all show that Perry/Leon can source some drop-dead gorgeous cushions. What's cool about this is that I think it provides anyone looking to this forum for other's experiences with vendors gives them another choice for cushions that they might not have considered before. Plus, with Leon's diamond pricing (strictly from the ones I've seen on their website), it allows the consumer to have a little more money to spend on one of his settings as opposed to buying a cushion elsewhere (no offense to anyone...it's merely an observation). And, as you mentioned, it keeps everything under the same roof.

I hope you are enjoying your gorgeous new ring and earrings. Wear them in good health!

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
I'm BACK!!!!

Finally. Sorry to keep you hanging.

OK, let me go over real quick my buying and overall experience GOG and the AVC.

I must confess that it is a bit of a masochistic hobby of mine to peruse ye olde GOG website and drool at the diamonds. (My favs: all 3 types of cushions, the AVrounds, and the Octavia Asschers.)

I wasn't in the buying mode but saw these 2 baby AVCs up and knew that if I didn't snatch them up right then and there, they'd be gone in a hot minute.

I worked entirely with Jon's daughter Sarah, who is a joy to work with.

PROS
1. Excellent customer service. Every email promptly replied to. I had a long time trying to figure out how I wanted them set and kept GOG hanging for quite a bit. They were pleasant and helpful. At one point I had sorta kept them in limbo as a waited for a setting quote from another vendor, and Sarah very gently reminded me that I was getting close past 30 days of purchase and that it might effect my ability to return the purchase if I so wanted. Well, I'm pretty sure it was way over 30 days. (I had never intended to return, because I wouldn't be receiving them until I got to the States way later - but I miscommunicated that.) My point is, they didn't just come out and say "time's up" but in a great customer service move, gently reminded - and gave me time to respond before dropping the proverbial hammer. They took on my miscommunication as theirs - to give me, the customer, the benefit of the doubt. That's the kind of small but significant detail I really notice.

2. Amazing product. And incredible trade up options on their branded stones.

3. When you work with GOG, you know they are passionate about what they do and they back it up with all the info you could want at your fingertips: Asets and whatnot, videos on request, all the stats.

-It's for all these reasons that when my wallet returns to normal, I will most likely work with GOG on a very special custom shiny object.

CONS
Really only one: cost. And I don't begrudge this at all, because they have gone to the trouble of developing the most consistent high performing (if not scientifically the best performing) antique cushion out there. But it could be a factor for sure. Especially as you get into the higher colors.

IMG_1248.jpg

FINAL RANDOM THOUGHTS

I have to tell you, this thread has been a true labor of cushion love. I went through a few ups and downs. Sometimes falling more in love with my L/P diamond and sometimes wondering if I shouldn't have just bit the bullet and got the AVC for my center diamond. But I've learned a lot in the process and want to give some final thoughts...

1. From looking at my L/P and those from other PS'ers, it looks like they are all spectacular fiery performers. But there is a lot of variation. Some, like mine, are less "puffy" with larger table and flatter crown and others are puffier, more like the profile of an AVC. Some, like mine, have a small cutlet, and others large. When considering a L/P diamond, it might be a good idea to ask to look at both types or to already have a preference in mind... as they seem like they can source a wide variation of gorgeous, fiery, chunky cushions. You could well let that work in your favor by being able to really fine tune a truly specific look.

2. Comparing diamonds too much can sap your contentedness. No diamond is perfect. Choosing among two greats will always leave both with a little less gleam, because you will always notice what one has that the other doesn't and vis versa. My advice is to do all the homework you need to, see all the videos you need to, ask all the questions you need to, see in person all the diamonds you need to - then make your choice. Do all the homework first, choose, and be in love. Just like a mate.

3. It is awesome to get your ring specifically made to fit your diamond. After going to Leon, I don't think I could ever have a setting made by anyone else. There is no way to think my ring is not perfect. It was designed in a way that every aspect relates perfectly color-wise, proportion-wise, and cut-wise. Worth every freekin penny. His slogan says it all: a work of art you can wear. My personal opinion: You could have the greatest cut, color, clarity, carat diamond and with a poorly executed or even run of the mill setting, it will be diminished. You can have a great but not greatest cut, color, clarity, carat stone with a superbly executed setting, and the stone will be elevated. And, if you put an empirically great stone in a superbly executed setting you get timeless art.

4. GOG has the most information out there. They have done the best work of any internet seller out there. If you have any concerns about taking any risks of remote buying, I'd bite the bullet and pay the extra money for the AVC (which they absolutely deserve). That extra cost is about eliminating your risk and about renumerating GOG for their R&D.

5. If you are not totally enamored with the AVC, and especially if you want a Leon setting, get the diamond sourced by Perry. They have incredibly great prices and it was nice and simple having everything done under one roof. Perry is very knowledgeable and takes the time to really go over it all with you. My only wish would be to have video. I don't necessarily need to have an aset from them and here's why. If I was only comparing asets, the AVC would always win hands down, as it's designed for maximum performance. Sometimes even comparing the asets from 2 AVC's gets my mind thinking one's super good and the other's only so-so. In real life, my P/L diamond is a fireworks show from every angle, in every light source. I think if I over-relied on asets, I would have missed out on this superb and unique diamond. I think, if you are a person that doesn't need a aset, that you can trust in Leon and Perry's exacting aesthetics. Because Leon is such a unique designer, I don't believe he would ever sign off on a less than stellar performing diamond. He takes such pride in his work, that he discourages the extra sale in providing a matching wedding band because it will, over time, damage the e-ring. That is very telling. He's a businessman who places his art higher than the extra buck. That's a man who would never sell a poorly performing diamond. Thus, video for me, would be more about getting a better feel of one P/L sourced diamond against another P/L sourced diamond.

6. While I love having the AVC's as studs, I feel like I'm short changing them and myself, because I don't get to see them and because they seem to come alive when moving on the hand ( more so than on the ear). One day, I will either use these as side stones for a RHR or trade them up for another project using further August Vintages either round or cushion.

Well, that's all folks!!! Can't wait to hear all your comments and if you have any questions, let me know.

love, Debs

IMG_1218.jpg

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much, Missydebby, for your hard work providing so much useful info for the rest of us. I'm contemplating an upgrade to a cushion and your posts have been very helpful. One question: I am assuming that you didn't your Perry stone in person before you bought it? And you got some photos but no video, yes?

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Gayletmom said:
Thanks so much, Missydebby, for your hard work providing so much useful info for the rest of us. I'm contemplating an upgrade to a cushion and your posts have been very helpful. One question: I am assuming that you didn't your Perry stone in person before you bought it? And you got some photos but no video, yes?

yes, correct.

You may also want to look at VBnet's thread. L/P sourced her 5 cushions and she might have some good experience to share with you too.

Goodluck on your upgrade and thanks! :))

Love Street

Shiny_Rock
Miss Debby - thanks so much for taking the time to post this incredibly helpful information. Your ring and your earings are both gorgeous!!!

It is especially useful because I get the sense (from my personal experience) that Leon is pushing his Diamond Concierge service more (at least to those who don't have stones yet...like me) - and since it's a relatively new service it is so helpful to hear about PSers experiences thus far, as well as in-depth analyses of the diamonds he sources. Thank you, thank you!

vbnet

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations Debbie on an incredibly useful thread. This should help many people just starting out. I agree with everything you said, even though I didn't see avcs in person, I think their enormous R & D effort and time and $$ spent on videos and education, and willingness to discuss stones with people by phone make them a safe bet as well as P/L.

The only thing I might add although it's been said before and thought it might be helpful here in this thread is if someone is definitely sold on a particular setting, that is 100% sure and no other will do, it may be helpful for the vendor doing the setting to be involved with selecting the stone. This might be most often a concern with cushions or other non rb stones. The shape/depth or other considerations of the stone may or may not work with the setting.

Anyway, I'm still drooling over your french cuts, and your total ring package. Wear it in good health!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
missydebby said:
Yssie said:
Also, you make an interesting comment about the colours you see in/out of your E vs Js. I've been trying to think it out for a few days now, and I'm coming to the conclusion that describing what you see is NOT a trivial 'think it up' question, despite how simple it sounds.. I'm going to try to work out the math just as soon as FI gives me my optics textbooks back! It'd have to be a function of both absorption - so wavelength, and reflectivity..

I'm no scientist, but coming from an painter's perspective... is it possible that it's because it starts from a non-white background? I mean, maybe it's tint overpowers/devours the pastels?

I just found this thread - the ring is beautiful Debby! But as for the above I wanted to comment... I don't think it's a quality of the higher colored stone. I think it's a quality of the cut. I know there is a huge thread on rt right now about this and I'm reading it with curiosity - so all I can really give you is my own experience. My stone really rocked the pastels and if the yellow tint (low J) did anything it just made them more jewel toned, but ever so slightly. The aset of my stone has a tone of green and contrary to the red fans, I always really thought it made for a different experience, one that I had trouble articulating and didn't have the science to "back up" - but an experience any less than or greater than another. My did wonderful things with light it got from the environment, not just light from direct. I don't want to get into a debate about it, but what you described reminds me of my stone and I'd be curious to see the aset, I bet it has a lot of green!

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
That's sounds so interesting! I think it's also gotta be partially due to the sizes, too. I mean, my ring flashes so much bigger but it's a bigger stone, and that might also be influencing the way I experience it.

On another note... hate to say this, but the longer I live with both the AVC's and the L/P cushions... the more I'm favoring the AVCs. My L/P stone really lights up, but about 25% of the time, parts of the Maltese cross go deadish, which of course never happens to the AVCs. At first I actually liked the effect because it made the stone look really deep somehow. But now, it's ever so slightly irritating.

Oh the backbreaking cross it is to bear in owning both... (you may all now begin playing your tiniest violins! :loopy: )

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
missydebby said:
That's sounds so interesting! I think it's also gotta be partially due to the sizes, too. I mean, my ring flashes so much bigger but it's a bigger stone, and that might also be influencing the way I experience it.

On another note... hate to say this, but the longer I live with both the AVC's and the L/P cushions... the more I'm favoring the AVCs. My L/P stone really lights up, but about 25% of the time, parts of the Maltese cross go deadish, which of course never happens to the AVCs. At first I actually liked the effect because it made the stone look really deep somehow. But now, it's ever so slightly irritating.

Oh the backbreaking cross it is to bear in owning both... (you may all now begin playing your tiniest violins! :loopy: )

Well, you could always trade your two smaller AVC's for a larger one...but I'm not enabling in any way! :Up_to_something: ha ha

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
SparklyOEC said:
missydebby said:

Well, you could always trade your two smaller AVC's for a larger one...but I'm not enabling in any way! :Up_to_something: ha ha

You are baaaaaaaaad!!!!! :naughty:

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
BTW, I just cleaned the heck out of it, and it helps tremendously. Clean diamonds = happiness

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results