shape
carat
color
clarity

millenials and diamonds

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I'm kind of on the edge of being a millenial, being born in mid-1981. I love diamonds and jewelry (obviously), but most of my same age or younger peers aren't buying diamonds. The ones who are married are often going with gemstones, fakes, or just wedding bands, sometimes in alternative metals because even platinum/gold is deemed too expensive and not worth it. They honestly probably can't afford diamonds or precious metals, or prioritize other things (houses, new cars, paying off student loans, etc.). I am not surprised at the Twitter responses to that question. :lol: :roll:

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
rubybeth|1467996463|4053161 said:
other things (houses, new cars, paying off student loans, etc.). I am not surprised at the Twitter responses to that question. :lol: :roll:

THIS!!

Seriously, I love luxury watches and diamonds. But if my culture allowed, I would have spent that money for something else. I am a millenial.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can believe it! I'm at the top end of that range and got through to the beginning of my career fairly unscathed by the rising costs of living. My sister who is 3 years younger hasn't been quite as lucky and her friends who range from my age to a few years younger than her haven't been nearly as lucky. Jobs were more scare 5 years after I completed college (2003), loans higher, and with the global recession in 2007 / 2008 times got tougher for those just starting out, aka the millenials. My sister is not the only one of her friends to not go with a diamond.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Friends/FB friends my age or younger are proposing with diamonds. Awful ones, but diamonds just the same.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha haha "I work at a grocery store"

I have diamonds. I am a millennial.

I will say though that beside the obvious cost. Millennials have a plethora of options at their fingertips that previous generation do not. "I could have a sapphire? "Peoplegrt engaged without rings?" "You can get a simulant"

I could find 7million examples each on insta.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1467999834|4053208 said:
I will say though that beside the obvious cost. Millennials have a plethora of options at their fingertips that previous generation do not. "I could have a sapphire? "Peoplegrt engaged without rings?" "You can get a simulant"

That's very true. They care less what their parents and others may think of what they wear. You don't like it? Good, because they weren't going to give it to you anyhow. You judging because of what's being worn? Too bad, they'll buy their wedding dress elsewhere!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
China has been cracking down on corruption.
Nothing says, "HEY LOOK HOW RICH I AM!" like diamonds.

China has a HUGE population and if demand for diamonds has softened there prices worldwide will be affected.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently gave my son my AVC and he bought a gorgeous setting for it and gave it to his girlfriend, and she was over the moon they are 27 and 26. Perhaps the recession in China has cooled prices off.

added after posting: Kenny, I had not read the whole train of posts and posted basically what you said. My apologies.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I noticed there were a number of guys responding, "diamonds, useless rick blah blah blah".

Girl goes "we broke b!tch!"

So I think girls wouldn't mind having one but money is an issue. Guys are taking the opportunity not to feel like they have to buy one.

Yeah, they barely have jobs.

But here in CA, I see lots of bling, among millenials too. But I'm in the land of Silicon Valley. You're a loser if you don't have a ton of stock options. I'm being facetious. I don't have any. Oh...maybe I am a loser?

I also think it is a stage of life thing. I didn't care about bling until I turned 40.

susief

Shiny_Rock
I am an older millennial (1984). Generalising wildly among my peer group:

- Conspicuous wealth is looked down on.

- Spending on material possessions rather than experiences eg travel is looked down on.

- Eco friendliness and social justice are prized.

So yeah. Not looking good for diamonds. All the more for us though :naughty:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
susief|1468011461|4053308 said:
I am an older millennial (1984). Generalising wildly among my peer group:

- Conspicuous wealth is looked down on.

- Spending on material possessions rather than experiences eg travel is looked down on.

- Eco friendliness and social justice are prized.

So yeah. Not looking good for diamonds. All the more for us though :naughty:

You guys are just too young. ;-)

Get more years of suffering under your belt. I have hope for you millenials yet. B

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The ones I know all have larger diamonds than I do!! And quite a few of them have larger diamonds by like a full carat or more.

Maybe the hipster crowd feels that way, but... not so much the ones I know or am related to.

susief

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1468028836|4053404 said:
The ones I know all have larger diamonds than I do!! And quite a few of them have larger diamonds by like a full carat or more.

Maybe the hipster crowd feels that way, but... not so much the ones I know or am related to.

Haha, hipster crowd just about sums it up :cheeky:

Like most things I suspect this is cultural. In the UK among younger well off types, there is a lot of reverse snobbery about traditional trappings of wealth. It's quite illogical.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1468028836|4053404 said:

Yeah it's complicated and depends.

I have young Millenial friends who LOVE diamonds and bling in general but then I also have hipster friends (also in the Millenial age group) who eschew material possessions in general and are not bling lovers. So it just depends. People don't always fit into the convenient labels and categories we have for them and are complicated. I am thinking about one of my girlfriends who is a hipster in every sense of the word except for the fact she loves bling a lot.

LOL.
http://time.com/money/3916989/yuccie-millennial-stereotypes/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results