shape
carat
color
clarity

#TBT Miffy - a 3ct+ stone to kick off my 30-something life

adorezy

Rough_Rock
I just went to collect my 3.16ct ring and I am so excited right now :appl: :love:

Well, it’s still 6 months to go before I turn 30 next year, but I can’t wait to have this 3-carat stone project done. Ever since I turned 29, I have been actively searching for a 3 ct + stone, to mark the beginning of my 30 something life. I have to say this is one of the benefits of buying diamond – it makes ageing a much more acceptable truth – how about a 4 ct when I turn 40, 5 ct when I turn 50... Not sure if I will keep doing this, but anyway I want to indulge myself this time.

It was quite frustrating at the beginning of the search because of my limited budget, but it all turned out fine when I found Miffy on eBay. I took train to meet the seller, Mr. P, who actually runs a diamond trading business in Leicester. Miffy was consigned to Mr. P from a wealthy family who inherited a divine collection of diamonds from their grandfather, and Miffy is one of them.

Miffy was described by Mr. P as an ‘Early Round Brilliant’, and certified by GIA as 3.16 ct, M colour, VS1, 9.31mm x 9.42mm x 5.86mm. It is somewhat in between an OEC and Modern Round Brilliant, so I guess it is a Transitional cut??? Anyone knows if I am right? On GIA certificate it only says Round Brilliant.

OK, pictures~~

bespoke_ring_0.jpg

20131102_152539.jpg

20131102_152511.jpg

bespoke_ring_1.jpg

D

Deactivated member 42515

Wow!!!! What an awesome find! I am quite jealous! :)

I do love the idea of upgrading every time you reach a certain age. So then, if you live until you're 100, you're gonna have a 10ct diamond. Mmmmm...yes...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous! I would call your diamond an American Cut, or Early Ideal Cut. It looks a lot like mine! Most people would just call it a European Cut, though.

I am not sure if your solitaire is the intended forever home of your gorgeous stone, but if you ever reset I encourage you to consider a more enclosed setting, like a bezel or halo or mount similar to my own... enclosing the pavilion of a diamond like yours will really maximize the contrast in the diamond and make it look chunky and divine! I noticed with my own diamond that it looked quite different loose than it does set, and I thought it really maximized its appearance set into an enclosed mount! Just a tip! ETA: She looks spectacular in the solitaire too, just to be clear!!

adorezy

Rough_Rock
I do love my eRing, a 1.73ct K SI triple X, and I will always do. I will still wear my original eRing when going to work everyday, as it gives me enough bling while not over the top. Weekends and occasions - Miffy will run the show :love:

20131102_154127.jpg

20131102_152621.jpg

20131021_132642.jpg

adorezy

Rough_Rock
Dreamer_D|1383410405|3549087 said:
Gorgeous! I would call your diamond an American Cut, or Early Ideal Cut. It looks a lot like mine! Most people would just call it a European Cut, though.

I am not sure if your solitaire is the intended forever home of your gorgeous stone, but if you ever reset I encourage you to consider a more enclosed setting, like a bezel or halo or mount similar to my own... enclosing the pavilion of a diamond like yours will really maximize the contrast in the diamond and make it look chunky and divine! I noticed with my own diamond that it looked quite different loose than it does set, and I thought it really maximized its appearance set into an enclosed mount! Just a tip! ETA: She looks spectacular in the solitaire too, just to be clear!!

Thank you Dreamer_D - yes, my stone looks very similar to your 8.1mm beauty. Thank you for the advice. I think I may re-set in a few years time, and want to do something more vintage - something like yours. Thank you!

sweet_blossom

Shiny_Rock
Wow! Happy early birthday to you! May your next decade be even more spectacular than your ring!

adorezy

Rough_Rock
sweet_blossom|1383413873|3549111 said:
Wow! Happy early birthday to you! May your next decade be even more spectacular than your ring!

Oh thank you so much Sweet_blossom - you are so sweet :twirl: I wish you a happy and healthy life, too.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a spectacular stone!!! It looks amazing on your hand too. It gives so much finger coverage. It's an enormous stone but is very very elegant! Congrats.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well Happy Birthday!! I love your plan and I'd start eating right and working out if you don't already! I'd love to "rock" a 10 ct. stone!! Miffy is gorgeous!! I love how you set her simply to show her off! She's a stunner, congrats!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy birthday! Miffy is stunning!

adorezy

Rough_Rock

Thank you for all the complements on Miffy :D
@AprilBaby - My birthday is in April - I am an April Baby as well :twirl:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!! You are one smart chickie to start those upgrades so early. Gives you a lot of room for moving up!! Congratulations on a beautiful find! Miffy is amazing!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
I like this upgrade plan!! Congratulations on your new beauty and happy early birthday!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning stone. I wish I got one just like it when I turned 30 (which was some time last week - yeah, yeah, that's it! :Up_to_something: )

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Miffy is stunning! Love the name, too ::) She will make your 30s shine! :lickout:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
What a wonderful way to ring in the new decade! Congrats on a gorgeous stone and setting.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lucky you!!!! Beautiful diamond!!! :love: :appl: Wow, I am waaay behind on this upgrade plan, though! I should have a 5 ct stone by now! :lol:

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Wow, great birthday gift!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats!!!! That is a magnificent stone and a great way to enjoy turning 30!!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Miffy is a beautiful girl! :love: Wear your gorgeous ring in health and happiness and happy 29 and a half years... :appl:

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Miffy is stunning! Congratulations!!!

adorezy

Rough_Rock
Many many thanks to everyone who complemented Miffy in this thread - I wish you enjoy diamonds in health and happiness too! Kisses to you all!

I went to a French restaurant last night wearing Miffy, and I could tell that people sitting near me were distracted by her :lol:

Haha, I am a big fan of the 'age theory'. The first time I heard about it was when I just finished my postgraduate and was looking for my first job, and someone told me about the 'age' theory. He said in UK, the bottom line is to 'earn your age', i.e. when you just left university, 23ish, you should aim to find a job paying you £23k a year; if you want to be in a leading position among your peers, you should aim to earn twice your age, i.e. if you are 25, and you earn £50k a year, then you should be leading the way. But I think this only applies in UK.

I am a quantitative person, and I do find the 'age theory' is easy to use when I need to push myself to work towards something. And now I use it on indulging me in diamonds - but I will never use the 'double your age' formula - it will simply make me bankrupted. :sun:

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The faceting on your stone is just delightful!
Have a wonderful 30th birthday :)

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness, Miffy is stunning!! Happy Birthday to you! Love the upgrade plan by they way :bigsmile:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She is a beauty for sure!

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Miffy is gorgeous!! I luff her. Such a beautiful simple setting and her facet pattern is stunning. Congratulations on your impending birthday. As a gift to us - more photos please!

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
Miffy is stunning, Happy Birthday to you! I think the upgrade is a great idea, but don't think you would need to with Miffy =)

adorezy

Rough_Rock
misskittycat|1383641546|3550696 said:
Miffy is gorgeous!! I luff her. Such a beautiful simple setting and her facet pattern is stunning. Congratulations on your impending birthday. As a gift to us - more photos please!

Thank you! Sure I will do more photos - I didn't dare to wear Miffy to work. It is too BIG :cheeky: otherwise I will do photos all day long and leave my work aside :D

adorezy

Rough_Rock
Monnyjay|1383657766|3550757 said:
Miffy is stunning, Happy Birthday to you! I think the upgrade is a great idea, but don't think you would need to with Miffy =)

Thank you, and thank everyone's nice words on Miffy! I think Miffy is gorgeous too. Actually I am reluctant to the ageing upgrade plan now - if I want full finger coverage, I can just add two side stones (I'm thinking of pears as they spread better, and cheaper), and the ring will be HUGE. But I am really enjoying the solitaire look now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results