shape
carat
color
clarity

Met with Local Dealer - Is this a good stone?

jslody

Rough_Rock
Hey Everyone,

Talk about not sleeping the last few days! This forum is an amazing resource - problem is, once you pop you can't stop haha!

I don't live in the US - so I've been tossing up between buying a stone from the US/abroad or getting one locally for a small premium (with the benefit of being able to see it in person).

My problem was, that I went to a dealer (very well regarded) without going to the 'chain' stores to get an idea on quality/prices etc beforehand. It would've been good to set some sort of baseline. To me the stone looked very good, but I didn't have anything to compare to (except for other diamonds the dealer had).

At the end of the day I want something that everyone will say 'wow' (balance between brilliance and fire).

My budget for the round stone is approx $3.5K US. The most important to me is light performance. Next in line is being eye clean and looking white/crisp. I'm going for a solitaire setting.

I saw 3 stones at my dealer - 70pt (within budget) through to 75pt (out of budget). To me it was very difficult seeing the size difference between the 70pt and 75pt yet the price difference was $1K. The smallest stone was also the 'cleanest' despite being a SI2.

Here are the specs:
- F SI2 (could only really see one inclusion under 10x on the girdle which could be hidden by a claw - and it was eye clean).
- GIA 3x (have asked for ideal scope)
- Depth - 62.3%
- Table - 56%
- Crown - 35.5
- Pavillion - 40.6
- HCA 1.3

From what I've been reading here, the crown is a little high - but everything else seems to fall within the 'range'

According to AGS chart (https://www.agslab.com/docs/pbcg/AGSLProportionCharts.pdf) it is an ideal cut.

What's everyone's opinion on this stone? Could I get substantially better light performance (brilliance and fire) purchasing a stone from the likes of BG and WF etc?

Very keen to hear everyones thoughts...

Cheers
jslody

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it does have potential. Post idealscope image if you can get it. What are the dimensions of the stone?

You do know that you can get a .75 G/eye clean SI1 Whiteflash ACA for $3.5k? This is a branded stone (we consider super ideal
because of their strict requirements).
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3685704.htm

Edit ...I dont think anyone can tell you if your stone is as good as a WF or BGD stone without more images. It potentially could be
but numbers alone wont tell us. Is this stone rated as an H&A by any chance? Because of all the vetting WF and BGD do to their
stones it probably doesnt have quite the pedigree but it still may be bright and sparkly with lots of fire. I guess what I'm trying to
say is that it may be good enough. I personally would talk to WF and let them know you are out of the country and you need
something eye-clean at up-close range (3 to 6 inches...whichever you want). See what they have in comparison.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not a US resident.
I also may consider buying a stone in person locally at a slight premium. I don't have to deal with any shipping issue, FEDEX screw up, and potential return shipping cost.

However, in this case, 3.5k USD buys you ACA 0.73c F eye-clean SI1.
Non branded GIA XXX F SI2 vs WF ACA F SI1 AGS Ideal at the nearly same price?? (I am not too sure if there is any import duty into your country)

For me, it is a no brainer.... WF ACA or BG

Regarding the diamond itself, it's got potential. It is potentially AGS Ideal, as you said. But you still need the IS. Do you have the gia report link? We would like to kNow about inclusions especially for SI2.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I'm also not a US resident, and I too went through a local dealer. I wanted to post because I have an amazing experience. I know it may not be for everyone, but I did appreciate not having to deal with fedex, paying full cost without first seeing the diamond, not knowing what the heck to do with it once it arrived. Having someone do the leg work, who also has the machinery to show every aspect of the diamond, while having competitive pricing to online, I couldn't see why not.

You seem to have a great idea of your budget, and what you're looking for, I can't say wherher the diamond is for you or not, but I wanted to give some firsthand experience in that space of diamond dealing/buying. I will now be having my setting done with the same person, my eternity band, my fiancé to be's ring, and all other diamond jewellery I have in mind. So happy, good luck!

jslody

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the comments guys! I've asked for the IS and will share it once I get it within the next few days.

Still a tough one to figure out - seems the price locally is competitive with similar stones from WF or BGD -however I'm wondering if the 'wow' factory would be negligible between the local stone and WF/BGD or would it be significantly better?

Anyway I'll wait for the IS and see how we go!

jslody

Rough_Rock
Hey guys.

Still waiting on the images (dealer was away for a few days).

In the mean time I've been browsing BDG and WF one question I have - what does WF do different when taking a video of the diamond?

When viewing the 360 Degree videos, the WF diamonds have amazing fire and sparkle - whereas the BD videos are laking the fire and sparkle. I'm assuming it's the different lighting conditions?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jslody|1467248738|4049916 said:
Hey guys.
When viewing the 360 Degree videos, the WF diamonds have amazing fire and sparkle - whereas the BD videos are laking the fire and sparkle. I'm assuming it's the different lighting conditions?

YEAP

With dark background and spot-lighting on, WF diamonds sparkle like crazy in those videos. (I am sure they are amazing in real life as well)

jslody

Rough_Rock
Hey Guys,

Got some images - not very good as they were taken with an iphone (not sure if they are setup to take the same calibre of images as the online stores).

Anyway what are your thoughts? Whilst this may not be the top 1%, will I notice a significant difference by going to BGD or WF which have a better hearts/arrows image etc?

I've seen the diamond in person and it did look good to me - however if there will be a significant difference in fire/brilliance etc by going for a 'better cut' diamond I will pull the trigger purchasing online.

Keen to hear everyone's thoughts!

_37658.jpg

_37659.jpg

_37660.jpg

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it alot. Definitely a top performing GIA x. No leakage even though the diamond is tilted in the ASET.

If the price is right and eye clean, go for it

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Agree with FP. It's a REALLY nice stone in terms of performance. If everything else meets your requirements AND you are positive the wearer wants a round stone, then you are good to go.

jslody

Rough_Rock
Really appreciate the comments!

Price of the stone is approx $3,300 USD. This will be going into a Tiffany style 6 prong setting - the wearer will love it. This is what she wants (without asking her directly, just listening to her different comments over the years).

Now I'm not being picky - but more for my own learning (the engineer in me)...when looking at the Hearts/Arrows image there are clefs within the hearts, from what I've been reading this is something you don't want. Maybe I'm just looking into it too much. If the experienced people of the forum like it, then who am I to argue with them!

Thanks again guys - great thing I stumbled across this forum - certainly saved me from getting a very average piece from the chain jewellery stores.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not fully know how to interpret the hearts image either.
I only refer to it when I see something ususual in the aset and would like to know what is going on (eg symmetry)

Hearts images are difficult to take as well. On many occasion, imperfections in the hearts images are due to poor photography .

fair75

Rough_Rock
The diamond is certainly a nice one based on the scope image, but it's not a true H&A. However, a diamond doesn't need to be a true H&A to be beautiful. Some people can tell the differences between a true H&A and a regular ideal-cut diamond but many can't. Unless someone desires the best cut and/or is willing to pay the premium for a true H&A, a nice ideal-cut diamond like the one you showed on here will be good enough for the most part.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results