shape
carat
color
clarity

Mercedes GLS 450 vs. Volvo xc90 inscription

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hubby told me to get a new car in April. I have always driven volvos, and planned on getting another xc90- the inscription. I also like the the Mercedes GLS 450. For those of you who have either of these, can you tell me what you like? What you don't? If you regret buying it? We have two kids- 10 and 12 and do a lot of traveling and outdoor sports.

If you have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I am looking in the 58,000-70,000 price range. Thanks!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought Volvo and Mercedes had horrible reliability and resale value, and sky-high maintenance cost.
For some reason many buyers in this tax bracket don't care about being (IMO) ripped off.

If for some reason I simply had to spend that money much on a car, I'd look into a Lexus.

Last edited:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Soxfan,
I have also been looking for a family vehicle.
A few new features I found to be extremely useful are
Heads Up Display ( featuring speed limit info) and automatic brights.
HUD allows you to keep your eyes on the road- and the speed limit info is essential for any lead-footed people out there.
I never thought I'd want/need or like automatic brights- but they were incredibly helpful on a recent trip on the Taconic Parkway- in a loaner car that had these two options.
Now I am stuck on making sure our new car has them.
I think both MB and Volvo probably offer them.

BTW- the loaner we had was a BMW 430ix Grand Coupe- and I really did love it. It's not an SUV, but it is 4 wheel drive.
It's at the lower end of your price range.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We recently got a big SUV. I didn’t like the Mercedes GLS a little ugly looking (and you need to spend more $$$ to get the good stuff) the Lexus I loved but it was a bit like a pillow on wheels (and hubby really hated it) we thought the BMW underwhelming in finish and quality for the price, the Range Rover Vogue a poor cousin of the gorgeous but seriously more expensive big Range Rover. We didnt like the Volvo, also underwhelming.
Hubby chose the Porsche Cayenne.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought Volvo and Mercedes had horrible reliability and resale value, and sky-high maintenance cost.
For some reason many buyers in this tax bracket don't care about being (IMO) ripped off.

If for some reason I simply had to spend that money much on a car, I'd look into a Lexus.

Not sure about Mercedes, but I’m on my third volvo. Free scheduled maintenance for a few years and excellent resale value.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
we thought the BMW underwhelming in finish and quality for the price
I'm with you on BMW SUV's- the X5 has such a weird tailgate!
But the cars are a different story.....I'm torn because we've had a minivan for years- and we're consolidating to one car.....the thought of that single vehicle being a minivan....ugh.
Trying to convince the fam that it's worth it to squeeze a little bit and get some sort of car...

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure about Mercedes, but I’m on my third volvo. Free scheduled maintenance for a few years and excellent resale value.

No free SM for the MB--but excellent resale value. We will be trading in our aging ML550 for a GLS. Perhaps AMG model. I love MB.

I was underwhelmed by the Volvo--but my neighbor love theirs.
I didn't care for the X5. BUT my sister has had two X5's and both she and her DH and love love love them! Like you Soxfan, she puts on a lot of km's with sports trips. She recently traded in one of their X5's for a new BMW 540. Great trade in value.

And IMHO Porsche nickles and dimes you to death. But my other neighbor loves theirs and has driven it. A lot.

See how we are all different??

cheers--Sharon

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I'd choose the MB GLS 450 than the Volvo XC90 (Being supersticious, and Chinese, I think most Volvo's look like Coffins= bad luck). I love my current Audi Q7 within your price range, it is a 7-seater and I also have 2 active kids doing sports. Looking into a new car in the next year, and I have heard the Lexus RX is going to be extended to a 7-seater, so that is probably what I'll be getting since I do LOVE Lexus, it is my number one car brand.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have had 3 Acuras and have loved them all. What about an MDX? I loved my MDX-- it was the only car I owned for 5 years!

https://www.acura.com/mdx

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I am looking in the 58,000-70,000 price range. Thanks!
:think: Those price range are for the 1% ers...:read:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@kenny is right - second hand Volvos retain value like a second hand mattress and the joke about AMG from Merc is it stands for 'All Money Gone'.

Lexus, Range Rover and Porsche would be my picks to look at.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe the quality of the BMWs depends on what options you get in them, we have always owned them optioned right up rather than the standard ones you buy and they have always been decent cars. I drive a 3 series and my husband has the top of the line 5 series 4WD. My husband's business partner had a top of the line Range Rover (I'm not a car person - no clue other than it was the most expensive one you can buy) which my husband drove, liked the BMW better, the owner crashed it and now has a top of the line Mercedes sedan that apparently drives itself. My husband said both the Mercedes and BMWs built in Germany are far better in quality and finish than the ones built in the US.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kenny is right - second hand Volvos retain value like a second hand mattress and the joke about AMG from Merc is it stands for 'All Money Gone'.

Lexus, Range Rover and Porsche would be my picks to look at.
Range Rover??? You are the first person to ever recommend this car!!! I totally love their look but everyone says they are unreliable!!! I know a person who worked in their service department and he advised me against buying one!!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Range Rover??? You are the first person to ever recommend this car!!! I totally love their look but everyone says they are unreliable!!! I know a person who worked in their service department and he advised me against buying one!!

From what I have heard the 2017 models onwards have been reliable cars although obviously they're still new but apparently issues are becoming fewer, my boss also has a 2017 Evoque and swears by it. I have thought before that there may be a difference between what we get here in Australia and what is sold in the US, I don't know if there are quality issues when doing left or right hand conversions but that would be where I would start looking as it may explain why the cars in the US have issues and elsewhere don't.

An example of differing quality in countries is that nobody in Australia buys a Jeep, yet I believe they're well regarded in the US. They're pure garbage here.

Even if it is unreliable, RR has a cult following and the resale would still be decent. So even with repair costs you're still ahead compared to the Volvo or Merc :lol:

Last edited:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even if it is unreliable, RR has a cult following and the resale would still be decent. So even with repair costs you're still ahead compared to the Volvo or Merc :lol:

LOL! Where are you getting your information from? RR do not have a cult following where I am. And not to mention, I would never spend that kind of money on a RR. Not worth it....

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So to be 100% honest, the only luxury suv that I like the look of is the volvo xc90 or the mercedes. BUT I saw a comparison video on them both and the mercedes interior is not as nice and when something breaks, it's REALLY expensive. Not to mention it costs about $40,000 more. Not sure if it's worth it....

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH. The infinity QX80- I LOVE that one too. Anyone have one?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Soxfan we have only owned Lexus SUVs (need the SUV for transporting 4 kitties back and forth every weekend) and we love them. The ride IMO cannot be beat. Smooth. I find German cars to give a stiff uncomfortable ride and I get motion sick in those cars.

Lexus has always been (for us) a reliable and very comfortable ride. Our last Lexus (RX 300) was 17 years old before we had to get our new one. We have the RX 350 now and so far super happy.

Good luck and happy and safe driving!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Soxfan we have only owned Lexus SUVs (need the SUV for transporting 4 kitties back and forth every weekend) and we love them. The ride IMO cannot be beat. Smooth. I find German cars to give a stiff uncomfortable ride and I get motion sick in those cars.

Lexus has always been (for us) a reliable and very comfortable ride. Our last Lexus (RX 300) was 17 years old before we had to get our new one. We have the RX 350 now and so far super happy.

Good luck and happy and safe driving!

Isn't it HARD to switch brands? LOL! My husband has a volvo, too. It's all we've ever driven and we love them. It's hard to consider a change. :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isn't it HARD to switch brands? LOL! My husband has a volvo, too. It's all we've ever driven and we love them. It's hard to consider a change. :lol:

Definitely I agree. I am not a person who generally embraces change. But if I didn't have a Lexus and I had to get a new car I would still strongly consider it. I really LOVE the Lexus. Because of how reliable it is and how smooth the ride is but yes I hear you and if you love what you have changing it may not be the best move for you. But if you are considering making a switch all I can say is Lexus rocks. IMO.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely I agree. I am not a person who generally embraces change. But if I didn't have a Lexus and I had to get a new car I would still strongly consider it. I really LOVE the Lexus. Because of how reliable it is and how smooth the ride is but yes I hear you and if you love what you have changing it may not be the best move for you. But if you are considering making a switch all I can say is Lexus rocks. IMO.

I know. You are right. I am probably going to go with the volvo. We are paying cash, and I just can't see shelling out $40,000 more for a benz! Plus we always buy at the same place, they give us top dollar for our trade-in and we have a volvo loyalty discount.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Q

Queenie60

Personally, I'm a mercedes girl however if you love the Volvo I would stick with that. Why not lease the vehicle and you can then purchase if you decide you like it after 3 years?

Good luck, I'm sure you will make the right decision.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I'm a mercedes girl however if you love the Volvo I would stick with that. Why not lease the vehicle and you can then purchase if you decide you like it after 3 years?

Good luck, I'm sure you will make the right decision.

The thing about leasing is you pay much more for the car over the long run if you decide to keep it. The big portion of the cost is during the first lump sum and over the first year plus. Unless you use it as for business and can deduct expenses from your taxes (which the majority of us can’t do I think) it pays to buy the car vs leasing.

What I think is a great deal is purchasing a certified pre owned car complete with warranty from manufacturer. Buy a car off a lease that is only 2-3 years old and you can save tens of thousands and get an excellent car.

There are many options for cars of course. Purchase new, purchase certified pre owned, lease etc and it depends on your finances and needs as to which works best for that specific individual/family. Just sharing my perspective about leasing.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LOL! Where are you getting your information from? RR do not have a cult following where I am. And not to mention, I would never spend that kind of money on a RR. Not worth it....

Old RR Defenders are going for up to 100k in the US, I would hazard a guess to say there is an underground RR cult following if some of their models are appreciating in value that much :mrgreen2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results