carat
color
clarity

Mercedes GLS 450 vs. Volvo xc90 inscription

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

The other SUV I would consider is the Toyota Land Cruiser. My BIL drove and drove his (several 100,000 kms) and the resale was excellent!

cheers--Sharon

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I think is a great deal is purchasing a certified pre owned car complete with warranty from manufacturer. Buy a car off a lease that is only 2-3 years old and you can save tens of thousands and get an excellent car.
That was our plan last year, but the price difference of a 2-3 yrs old Lexus RX350 was only like $9k so we ended up buying a new car.
DSCN0642.JPG

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely I agree. I am not a person who generally embraces change. But if I didn't have a Lexus and I had to get a new car I would still strongly consider it. I really LOVE the Lexus.
Yup, we are down to 2 cars now and both are Lexus. I drive a 2005 LS430 and my wife drive a 2017 RX350.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I'm a mercedes girl however if you love the Volvo I would stick with that. Why not lease the vehicle and you can then purchase if you decide you like it after 3 years?

Good luck, I'm sure you will make the right decision.

We put on WAY too many miles to lease....

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dad had a tooth that became infected and the dope waited a few days to see the dentist. As he left with his abx script and drove home, he had a fever, passed out, drifted into a snow bank and then totaled his RX350 against a light pole. Not a scratch on him. He came to in the ER 6 hours later. My parents replaced it with another RX350 without blinking an eye. My dad is convinced the car saved his life.

Now my husband on the other hand wasn't driving an RX... :whistle: (black widow humor)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reminds me of a basking shark.:lol:

basking-shark-mouth.jpg
Yeah, TBH I like the older style better, but the price difference b/t a new and 2 yr used was only 9K, plus there are a lot more safety features on the 2017.

Q

Queenie60

The thing about leasing is you pay much more for the car over the long run if you decide to keep it. The big portion of the cost is during the first lump sum and over the first year plus. Unless you use it as for business and can deduct expenses from your taxes (which the majority of us can’t do I think) it pays to buy the car vs leasing.

What I think is a great deal is purchasing a certified pre owned car complete with warranty from manufacturer. Buy a car off a lease that is only 2-3 years old and you can save tens of thousands and get an excellent car.

There are many options for cars of course. Purchase new, purchase certified pre owned, lease etc and it depends on your finances and needs as to which works best for that specific individual/family. Just sharing my perspective about leasing.
Good point. We are able to write ours off via our business.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Suburban - big, huge, Texas sized luxury truck - an apartment on wheels. Love mine!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That was our plan last year, but the price difference of a 2-3 yrs old Lexus RX350 was only like $9k so we ended up buying a new car.
DSCN0642.JPG

Congrats on your new car DF. We just got a certified preowned Lexus and there were 2 reasons we got CPO. Our last Lexus was CPO and we owned it for over 15 years (and it was 17 years old) and it was a great car.

Reason one was we saved about 20K based on the model we bought and all the extras we wanted. So quite a bit of savings. And Reason two is that grille. I really dislike the look and wanted a model that had the sleeker grille look and CPO was the way to go for us for both those reasons.

The day my dh drove our "new" RX350 home to the beach house.

loofytoo.jpg

newloofy.jpg

I think it's a beauty. And so far so good. I miss the old car from 1999 but this one has way better safety features for sure plus vented cooled seats and not just heated seats like the 1999. Better suspension, more powerful engine, smoother transition, smoother braking, better sound system, built in navigation system. Keyless entry which is a nice feature that all cars have now. To name a few improvements. The only thing is there is no trip timer like our 1999 Lexus so that is a bummer. We used to like to see how long the trip takes and it was right there on the screen on the car. Now we just do it on our phone if we want but it is too bad it doesn't seem to be on the newer model.

Good point. We are able to write ours off via our business.

Sounds good Queenie and makes perfect sense to go that way for you guys.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have bought a number of dealer demonstrator cars in the past. They ranged from 6 weeks to 6 months old, and the savings were huge. Do you have that in the US?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have bought a number of dealer demonstrator cars in the past. They ranged from 6 weeks to 6 months old, and the savings were huge. Do you have that in the US?

Austina I just asked my dh and we don't know. That sounds good and an amazing opportunity for savings and value!
We have never seen that here but we really don't car shop often (thankfully and fingers crossed that continues!) as you know haha.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a great way to buy here, comes with all the warranties, service plans etc., although our last two cars have been brand new, due to the good deals we got from the dealer. First one, we’d actually gone to view the demonstrator, but they’d sold it, so gave us the same price on a brand new one they had in the showroom, latest one was a trade in on that car, again gave us such a good deal, we couldn’t say no :D

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Not exactly the same cars, but DH has been driving a Mercedes GLK (little SUV) for the past 3 years and loves it. Only issue so far has been that they parking break gets stuck in the winter, but they replaced it under warranty so problem solved.

I used to date a Toyota engineer who worked on the Lexus side and he loved them. Was adament that they’re the best car out there. I find they look old even when they’re new if that makes sense, but as far as functionality apparently they are fantastic.

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
How about the Audi Q5?

P

PierreBear

Biased Volvo driver over here!!! Between me and DH, we've owned 4 different Volvos and unless something significantly changes, we plan on sticking with the brand. The SUV we have is the XC60 which is the baby version of the XC90. Those new XC90s are so beautiful and sexy to me! I've only viewed it externally and haven't test drove etc.

I personally enjoy Volvos because of the way they drive. I wish it was a bit more powerful but I like how they are sturdy and not "sensitive" cars. Big contrast when I have to drive a rental car that I'm not used to. I also like the brand of Volvos but it's just a personal thing. Some other luxury brands are a bit more flashier and I just feel more comfortable with Volvo.

Side comment, I always thought Volvo resale has been pretty decent. We hold our cars until they die and have always managed to sell it off of craigslist within a day.

Can't wait to see what you get but I'm rooting for the Volvo XC90... my dream car right now!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Biased Volvo driver over here!!! Between me and DH, we've owned 4 different Volvos and unless something significantly changes, we plan on sticking with the brand. The SUV we have is the XC60 which is the baby version of the XC90. Those new XC90s are so beautiful and sexy to me! I've only viewed it externally and haven't test drove etc.

I personally enjoy Volvos because of the way they drive. I wish it was a bit more powerful but I like how they are sturdy and not "sensitive" cars. Big contrast when I have to drive a rental car that I'm not used to. I also like the brand of Volvos but it's just a personal thing. Some other luxury brands are a bit more flashier and I just feel more comfortable with Volvo.

Side comment, I always thought Volvo resale has been pretty decent. We hold our cars until they die and have always managed to sell it off of craigslist within a day.

Can't wait to see what you get but I'm rooting for the Volvo XC90... my dream car right now!

So we've decided! The volvo xc90 inscription. I'll post pics after I get it! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

149827_The_all_new_Volvo_XC90.png

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice! Are you getting the black?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow it’s beautiful! :love: Congrats and can’t wait to see it!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice! Those are the ventilated seats, with cooling in the summer. Sweet! :appl:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a great way to buy here, comes with all the warranties, service plans etc., although our last two cars have been brand new, due to the good deals we got from the dealer. First one, we’d actually gone to view the demonstrator, but they’d sold it, so gave us the same price on a brand new one they had in the showroom, latest one was a trade in on that car, again gave us such a good deal, we couldn’t say no :D

yes there are programs like this but the car itself still falls under Certified preowned. I was at BMW recently and they had an2017 X3 that had 4k miles on it for 34k. Was nice if you're looking for an ICE only car.

I personally am looking at a Kia Niro Plugin. I've decided that going full EV especially in where I live now is probably not a great idea for now.

P

PierreBear

So we've decided! The volvo xc90 inscription. I'll post pics after I get it! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

149827_The_all_new_Volvo_XC90.png

Yiipeee!!! Congrats!!! :dance: Please tell me all about it!!!
You have my dream car and my dream ring! By the way, are you more excited about the XC90 or the most recent Casablanca? Great taste :clap:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We looked at the Niro @Arcadian but the boot wasn’t big enough for our dog, so we got another Sportage.

The demonstrators here usually come fully loaded with all the extras which makes them such a good buy.

Q

Queenie60

Lovely car. Like the color combination of exterior/interior. Enjoy it!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We looked at the Niro @Arcadian but the boot wasn’t big enough for our dog, so we got another Sportage.

The demonstrators here usually come fully loaded with all the extras which makes them such a good buy.

Its because your tall, leggy, drink of water probably doesn't want to contort herself up into something as small as a cat bed (my dog has done this at a friends house!). My dog loves to stretch out when she wants, as evidenced by her extra large beds all over the house.:roll2: But mostly,she also will get dead in the middle and curl up in a ball, or she's in a u shape on her back...:lol: Greyhounds and those crazy spines... how she doesn't break something is always a surprise to me.

From the looks of the Niro its about the same size as what I have in the CMax. I could fit 2 greyhounds in there if they were her size. But granted, a taller boy or girl would have definite issues.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The day my dh drove our "new" RX350 home to the beach house.

loofytoo.jpg

newloofy.jpg
Congrats, Missy, very nice! ..:wavey: That is the front gill style that I love.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results