shape
carat
color
clarity

Men's Diamond Eternity Band — help me on my mission!

dwj6211

Shiny_Rock
Hello pricescope community!

I have some questions that may seem to be all over the place—and I'd like some of your advice/feedback.

Recently, I've been seriously scoping out and researching the purchase of an eternity band. I've always loved the way they look—and even though I'm a man, I think I am going to push the gender norm, and go for it! Hey, if Nick Cannon wore one when married to Mariah Carey, why can't I... Haha.

Ok so here's a little about me— I am 32, size 7 1/4 - 7 1/2 ring— I don't work with my hands, so being rough on a ring is not a concern. I would like to wear it every day, and I am not super thin or heavy...pretty average frame. As for other jewelry, I always wear a stainless/white gold watch (Datejust II) on my left arm, and a simple black leather wrap bracelet with it. My style is not super flashy or over the top, but I do like things that are made well, and with great quality. I am not opposed to the eternity band being flashy and make a statement, but I also don't want it to be something that draws too much attention.

So here is where I am in the process.

-I know I want it to be emerald cut or round brilliant (even though those are two extremes).
-I am very interested in this horizontal emerald cut setting, but have never seen such a thing in real life... Have any of you?
-I know I prefer less metal to be seen, and if I go with round brilliant—I am pretty sure I want it to be shared U prong.
-I am confused at exactly how much brilliance I will miss with SI vs. VS stones.
-I know I want the tcw, between 3.5 – 5 max.
-My budget is flexible, I'd like to land between 4-7,500.

I've attached some photos of my top contending rings (even threw an asscher in there). Can anyone offer any advice/feedback/thoughts on anything from price to quality to retailers and I'd love to see some "real shots" of your rings if they fit a similar bill!

Thank you so much in advance!

_1466.jpeg

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
dwj6211 said:

I have some questions that may seem to be all over the place—and I'd like some of your advice/feedback.

Recently, I've been seriously scoping out and researching the purchase of an eternity band. I've always loved the way they look—and even though I'm a man, I think I am going to push the gender norm, and go for it! Hey, if Nick Cannon wore one when married to Mariah Carey, why can't I... Haha.

Ok so here's a little about me— I am 32, size 7 1/4 - 7 1/2 ring— I don't work with my hands, so being rough on a ring is not a concern. I would like to wear it every day, and I am not super thin or heavy...pretty average frame. As for other jewelry, I always wear a stainless/white gold watch (Datejust II) on my left arm, and a simple black leather wrap bracelet with it. My style is not super flashy or over the top, but I do like things that are made well, and with great quality. I am not opposed to the eternity band being flashy and make a statement, but I also don't want it to be something that draws too much attention.

-I know I want it to be emerald cut or round brilliant (even though those are two extremes).
-I am very interested in this horizontal emerald cut setting, but have never seen such a thing in real life... Have any of you?
-I know I prefer less metal to be seen, and if I go with round brilliant—I am pretty sure I want it to be shared U prong.
-I am confused at exactly how much brilliance I will miss with SI vs. VS stones.

I've attached some photos of my top contending rings (even threw an asscher in there). Can anyone offer any advice/feedback/thoughts on anything from price to quality to retailers and I'd love to see some "real shots" of your rings if they fit a similar bill!

I've thought about producing one for my self in the past - have you ever considered Asscher cut instead of round? Give it a thought - may be it grows on you.

Cheers

dwj6211

Shiny_Rock
gr8leo87 said:
dwj6211 said:

I've thought about producing one for my self in the past - have you ever considered Asscher cut instead of round? Give it a thought - may be it grows on you.

Cheers

I do love asscher, in fact asscher is my favorite cut— I am not huge into asscher in an eternity band, I personally feel the absolute square looks a little off unless they're 50 pointers or more ... Which clearly won't be in the overall budget. Hahahaha.

With that said, if I do emerald cut I would prefer stones around a 1.25 — 1.3 ratio for the more square asscher-esque effect.

This is also what has led me to be so curious about the top right band with the emerald cut set horizontally.

Thanks for your reply! Keep em coming!

pittin

Rough_Rock
I would recommend asking Whiteflash to pull a quote together for you for a custom ring. I (30 year old male) have this ring from Tacori:

http://www.tacori.com/125-5d

I wish I had them customize it to a half-eternity. When I upgrade I will probably go to a half or full eternity.

I imagine it will be hard to find a wide range of selections in rings marketed to men. Don't
limit yourself. One option would be to buy cheap silver/cubic zirconia eternity rings on Amazon of different styles so tou
can wear them around a bit to help make up your mind on diamond shape/style.

I've had a fabulous experience with Whiteflash and I think you
may have luck finding competitive prices with them. There are tons of other options though and you can't go wrong with any of the pricescope vendors.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Have you tried any styles on? Of differing carat weight?

I ask because what I thought I wanted, I didn't! I ended up with an asscher band when I sought a round. U prong.

People complain ( or surmise) all eternity rings will be uncomfortable. I don't find my troubling at all--but that is just me. Honestly, you do need to get an IRL visual and feel.

cheers--Sharon

dwj6211

Shiny_Rock
pittin said:
I would recommend asking Whiteflash to pull a quote together for you for a custom ring. I (30 year old male) have this ring from Tacori:

http://www.tacori.com/125-5d

I wish I had them customize it to a half-eternity. When I upgrade I will probably go to a half or full eternity.

I imagine it will be hard to find a wide range of selections in rings marketed to men. Don't
limit yourself. One option would be to buy cheap silver/cubic zirconia eternity rings on Amazon of different styles so tou
can wear them around a bit to help make up your mind on diamond shape/style.

I've had a fabulous experience with Whiteflash and I think you
may have luck finding competitive prices with them. There are tons of other options though and you can't go wrong with any of the pricescope vendors.
Thanks for the reply! Cool ring you have!

I am not necessarily looking for a ring marketed to men... I'm actually only looking at women's eternity bands haha. Good thing my finger is a 7 1/4 and not an 10 or 11 ! Hahaha.

Several people here over the years I've lurked have mentioned whiteflash. I will definitely reach out to them. They seem very reasonable. Ultimately I am working with a jeweler whom I've known for many years... I also am fortunate enough to live within walking distance from NYCs diamond district... I just hate to try on in person if I know I'm not buying from them.

dwj6211

Shiny_Rock
canuk-gal said:
HI:

Have you tried any styles on? Of differing carat weight?

I ask because what I thought I wanted, I didn't! I ended up with an asscher band when I sought a round. U prong.

People complain ( or surmise) all eternity rings will be uncomfortable. I don't find my troubling at all--but that is just me. Honestly, you do need to get an IRL visual and feel.

cheers--Sharon

I've tried on a few things.

One Emerald Cut in G/H VVS1/2 totaling almost 7 carats— I fell in love but out of my price range.

One emerald cut in G/H VS1/2 totaling 3 carats— too small.

Several round brilliant I've tried too... None were my size so I didn't get a true read.

dwj6211

Shiny_Rock
Just to add to the topic and share some more info. Several years back, I had an eternity band in black diamonds and black rhodium made. I absolutely loved the size—but never loved the diamonds.. They simply weren't calibrated mm wise and the ring has always given me problems. I believe the ring totals 4.75 carats. And is 4mm.

I hardly if ever wear it.

So I know I'm comfortable with round as the shape but I thought I would switch it up (or maybe not) for the actual white diamond one I've wanted forever!

Here's the black diamond one I own for reference.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1452378119.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1452378127.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just an idea, this is my own carre cut half eternity ring, a gift from my mum, and I believe its simply clean bezel set setting will suit as as gent's ring:

6-stonesquarestepcut.jpg

The diamonds are about 5mm each.

Good luck with your search.

DK :))

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
dwj6211 said:
Just to add to the topic and share some more info. Several years back, I had an eternity band in black diamonds and black rhodium made. I absolutely loved the size—but never loved the diamonds.. They simply weren't calibrated mm wise and the ring has always given me problems. I believe the ring totals 4.75 carats. And is 4mm.

So I know I'm comfortable with round as the shape but I thought I would switch it up (or maybe not) for the actual white diamond one I've wanted forever!

I can see why you think it's not calibrated. This is the thing with black diamonds - differing table sizes gives an appearance of different diamonds sizes. Because unlike white diamonds the blacks are opaque.

You could also try a channel set eternity band set with princess cuts.

But a diamond carat weight of around 4-5 carats is going to be difficult adjusting in a 5-6k budget. That's actually much below of how much it would cost a jeweller - especially asschers and emeralds in melee sizes are not common and do come with a price tag. You could also look at half or 3/4 eternities if budget becomes an issue.

dwj6211

Shiny_Rock
gr8leo87 said:
dwj6211 said:

I can see why you think it's not calibrated. This is the thing with black diamonds - differing table sizes gives an appearance of different diamonds sizes. Because unlike white diamonds the blacks are opaque.

You could also try a channel set eternity band set with princess cuts.

But a diamond carat weight of around 4-5 carats is going to be difficult adjusting in a 5-6k budget. That's actually much below of how much it would cost a jeweller - especially asschers and emeralds in melee sizes are not common and do come with a price tag. You could also look at half or 3/4 eternities if budget becomes an issue.

I am flexible on price. I would like to stay between 4-7, doesn't need to be 4-5 carats, 3.5 would suffice if I fell in love with the ring... I would raise the ceiling to 8/9k if I ABSOLUTELY saw something I couldn't live without.... Let me reiterate I am not glued to emerald/asscher. I am open to round as well.

While I appreciate channel set and princess cut respectively, I am not personally open to those options at this time.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1452379137|3973372 said:
Just an idea, this is my own carre cut half eternity ring, a gift from my mum, and I believe its simply clean bezel set setting will suit as as gent's ring:

6-stonesquarestepcut.jpg

I absolutely love eternity rings set in a channel! So much less chance of chipping the stones, too! I really, really prefer that for a man. Greg Chang has a beautiful carre cut (square emerald) eternity ring.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/carre-eternity.196725/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/carre-eternity.196725/[/URL]

dwj6211

Shiny_Rock
I love all this input the community is offering! :)

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am also considering a diamond band for myself. Mine will be solitaire or 5 stone. I too am mostly considering designs for ladies. Mens rings are often too wide and big. Good luck with your search.

dwj6211

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006 said:
dk168|1452379137|3973372 said:

6-stonesquarestepcut.jpg

I absolutely love eternity rings set in a channel! So much less chance of chipping the stones, too! I really, really prefer that for a man. Greg Chang has a beautiful carre cut (square emerald) eternity ring.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/carre-eternity.196725/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/carre-eternity.196725/[/URL]
OH!!! I like the carre cut! Prefer it not channel set though! :-/ that's a beautiful ring!

dwj6211

Shiny_Rock
flyingpig said:
I am also considering a diamond band for myself. Mine will be solitaire or 5 stone. I too am mostly considering designs for ladies. Mens rings are often too wide and big. Good luck with your search.
I currently wear a 7 stone (12 pointers) band that was my grandmothers who married in 1929. I love it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops, you said you weren't open to channel set while I was typing. They really do protect the stones and look more gender neutral to me, but it's your ring, of course!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not necessarily looking for a ring marketed to men... I'm actually only looking at women's eternity bands haha. Good thing my finger is a 7 1/4 and not an 10 or 11 ! Hahaha.

Several people here over the years I've lurked have mentioned whiteflash. I will definitely reach out to them. They seem very reasonable. Ultimately I am working with a jeweler whom I've known for many years... I also am fortunate enough to live within walking distance from NYCs diamond district... I just hate to try on in person if I know I'm not buying from them.[/quote]

This is fortunate. Have you gone to ID Jewelry? I have only purchased online from them but it could not have been easier--that said they were for diamond studs and I knew precisely what I was shopping for.

But buyng a ring is very different and I could not imagine any reasonable retailer expecting you to buy without trying on many different options. But of course, you know where your comfort zone is.

cheers--Sharon

dwj6211

Shiny_Rock
canuk-gal said:

Several people here over the years I've lurked have mentioned whiteflash. I will definitely reach out to them. They seem very reasonable. Ultimately I am working with a jeweler whom I've known for many years... I also am fortunate enough to live within walking distance from NYCs diamond district... I just hate to try on in person if I know I'm not buying from them.

This is fortunate. Have you gone to ID Jewelry? I have only purchased online from them but it could not have been easier--that said they were for diamond studs and I knew precisely what I was shopping for.

But buyng a ring is very different and I could not imagine any reasonable retailer expecting you to buy without trying on many different options. But of course, you know where your comfort zone is.

cheers--Sharon[/quote]

I have not gone to ID but now I will check it out! Thank you!

You'd be surprised, not that they'd expect you to buy, but it's the whole culture of the diamond district that is very exhausting. Imagine a full city block of hundreds of jewelers, then there are entire buildings that house dozens of dealers all on the same sales floor all competing for business. It's a game of hustling regardless of their reputation—they haggle and go in for a hard sale. Of course this isn't all of them, but the majority of them operate this way.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dwj6211|1452380995|3973407 said:
canuk-gal said:

cheers--Sharon

You'd be surprised, not that they'd expect you to buy, but it's the whole culture of the diamond district that is very exhausting. Imagine a full city block of hundreds of jewelers, then there are entire buildings that house dozens of dealers all on the same sales floor all competing for business. It's a game of hustling regardless of their reputation—they haggle and go in for a hard sale. Of course this isn't all of them, but the majority of them operate this way.[/quote]

I understand completely.

BTW I wish this was your size! (or mine for that matter!!! :bigsmile: )

http://www.betteridge.com/tiffany-round-brilliant-diamond-eternity-band-3.2-ct-tw/p/12007/

cheers--Sharon

dwj6211

Shiny_Rock
canuk-gal said:
dwj6211|1452380995|3973407 said:
canuk-gal said:

cheers--Sharon

You'd be surprised, not that they'd expect you to buy, but it's the whole culture of the diamond district that is very exhausting. Imagine a full city block of hundreds of jewelers, then there are entire buildings that house dozens of dealers all on the same sales floor all competing for business. It's a game of hustling regardless of their reputation—they haggle and go in for a hard sale. Of course this isn't all of them, but the majority of them operate this way.

I understand completely.

BTW I wish this was your size! (or mine for that matter!!! :bigsmile: )

http://www.betteridge.com/tiffany-round-brilliant-diamond-eternity-band-3.2-ct-tw/p/12007/

cheers--Sharon[/quote]
Ha! You have great taste my friend! :)

dwj6211

Shiny_Rock
@canuk-gal do you have any opinion to weigh in on the scintillation reduction for eternity bands in SI1 vs VS1/2 both in F/G or G/H let's say.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Hey hey!!!

Thanx for DS for sharing my post. :wavey:

It looks like you have had some time to play around with a few designs for the eternity ring.

If u like the round u prong eternity ( based on the black one that you already have) then get the same design in white diamonds.... though I sense you would want a change. I can't remember what the size of the black diamond shared prong eternity is, but I know that the bigger it gets, for me, the slightly more uncomfortable it is, esp where the diamonds are sitting next to the other fingers. The channel set worked better for me with comfort and the design match to my solitaire.

I am a bit biased as I prefer step cuts/emerald cuts- hall of mirrors kinda look, to the rounds.

Being a stand alone ring, of the designs and stones that you have shown....

1) I would consider the asscher in shared prong, facet collections make them. They would make a great stand alone ring! The asschers sparkle, my other thread, I compared the asscher and the carre against my asscher solitaire. I had a choice of 10/ 15 pointers in both ther carre and asschers. The carre for me worked best as the asscher competed for sparkle and attn with my solitaire. I have provided the link here. I am a size 7.5. Total carat weight is about 3. As mentioned, mine is a channel set to match my solitaire.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/poll-asscher-or-carre-eternity.195732/#post-3564327#p3564327']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/poll-asscher-or-carre-eternity.195732/#post-3564327#p3564327[/URL]

The link to facets collection for the shared asscher.
http://www.thefacetscollection.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=Shared+prong+asscher+eternity

2) my second choice is the emerald cut set in an East -west (E-W) setting. woof mama has the setting that I really like. the link is here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-15-ct-ec-band-pics-help-chose-solitaire-for-my-ec-stone.179233/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-15-ct-ec-band-pics-help-chose-solitaire-for-my-ec-stone.179233/[/URL]

3) rounds in a u shared prong. Either whiteflash or idj will look after you like other posters have mentioned.

Good luck with the search... And of course post lots of pics.

dwj6211

Shiny_Rock
gregchang35 said:
Hey hey!!!

Thanx for DS for sharing my post. :wavey:

It looks like you have had some time to play around with a few designs for the eternity ring.

If u like the round u prong eternity ( based on the black one that you already have) then get the same design in white diamonds.... though I sense you would want a change. I can't remember what the size of the black diamond shared prong eternity is, but I know that the bigger it gets, for me, the slightly more uncomfortable it is, esp where the diamonds are sitting next to the other fingers. The channel set worked better for me with comfort and the design match to my solitaire.

I am a bit biased as I prefer step cuts/emerald cuts- hall of mirrors kinda look, to the rounds.

Being a stand alone ring, of the designs and stones that you have shown....

1) I would consider the asscher in shared prong, facet collections make them. They would make a great stand alone ring! The asschers sparkle, my other thread, I compared the asscher and the carre against my asscher solitaire. I had a choice of 10/ 15 pointers in both ther carre and asschers. The carre for me worked best as the asscher competed for sparkle and attn with my solitaire. I have provided the link here. I am a size 7.5. Total carat weight is about 3. As mentioned, mine is a channel set to match my solitaire.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/poll-asscher-or-carre-eternity.195732/#post-3564327#p3564327']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/poll-asscher-or-carre-eternity.195732/#post-3564327#p3564327[/URL]

The link to facets collection for the shared asscher.
http://www.thefacetscollection.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=Shared+prong+asscher+eternity

2) my second choice is the emerald cut set in an East -west (E-W) setting. woof mama has the setting that I really like. the link is here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-15-ct-ec-band-pics-help-chose-solitaire-for-my-ec-stone.179233/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-15-ct-ec-band-pics-help-chose-solitaire-for-my-ec-stone.179233/[/URL]

3) rounds in a u shared prong. Either whiteflash or idj will look after you like other posters have mentioned.

Good luck with the search... And of course post lots of pics.
YES!! I love woofmamas band!!! That's it! Now I need to find it in person with diamonds all the way around and flat to the finger. Hers appears to be set in a step like fashion.

dwj6211

Shiny_Rock
I think I just found it!!! It's Leon Mege... Called "The Hamptons Band"

imageuploadedbytapatalk1452394272.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1452394283.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1452394290.jpg

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Dwj, while reading your thread for the 1st time, it sounded similar to a band ring i envisioned a long time ago. I found this ring but instead of emerald cuts it would feature black baguette diamonds or black spinels depending on cost, in white gold. This pic has the same concept. Just thought you should see it.

79427974-f9b7-4296-a5d8-8f7a17107b7d.jpg

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Hi OP :wavey:

Thanks for liking my band :sun: I also love the Leon Mege Hamptons band, but it was way out of budget for me at the time that I was shopping. I still hope to get a full eternity step cut in a couple of years.

My diamonds are .43 each, totaling 2.15ctw and the band was $4k. I'm very excited to watch your thread & see what you end up choosing! I love diamond rings on men :appl:

dwj6211

Shiny_Rock
woofmama said:

Thanks for liking my band :sun: I also love the Leon Mege Hamptons band, but it was way out of budget for me at the time that I was shopping. I still hope to get a full eternity step cut in a couple of years.

My diamonds are .43 each, totaling 2.15ctw and the band was $4k. I'm very excited to watch your thread & see what you end up choosing! I love diamond rings on men :appl:
Awesome! Your ring is beautiful! I sent an inquiry to Leon let's see what they come back with! I also have an appointment with the jeweler I usually work with end of next week... I'll show him the thread LOL.

I hope to have something on my finger by March. :)

Question for you! How do you feel the fire in the Emerald cut differs when it's oriented E-W vs traditional north to south orientation?

Also, do you know the color and clarity on the .43's? I'm guessing mine will be smaller probably in the .20-.25 range to go all the way around. I know that Leon ring is a little over 6.5 carats. I'm not at all familiar with the impact color / clarity would have on the Emerald cut, especially oriented E-W!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that woofmama's band is gorgeous and so is the Hampton's band! I really think that Hampton's band would be an outstanding choice for you!

Setting an EC E-W versus N-S is not going to matter. The number one thing about emerald cuts is that they will have to be cleaned daily. That will keep them looking their best.

I do not think most jewelers will be able to make a ring of the caliber of that LM ring. It is pretty outstanding. Victor Canera and Steven Kirsch are the other two who work at that level, but I haven't seen them make that exact ring.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
dwj6211|1452399135|3973529 said:
woofmama said:

Awesome! Your ring is beautiful! I sent an inquiry to Leon let's see what they come back with! I also have an appointment with the jeweler I usually work with end of next week... I'll show him the thread LOL.

I hope to have something on my finger by March. :)

Question for you! How do you feel the fire in the Emerald cut differs when it's oriented E-W vs traditional north to south orientation?

Also, do you know the color and clarity on the .43's? I'm guessing mine will be smaller probably in the .20-.25 range to go all the way around. I know that Leon ring is a little over 6.5 carats. I'm not at all familiar with the impact color / clarity would have on the Emerald cut, especially oriented E-W!

I don't believe the orientation of the diamonds makes a difference in their performance. I also have a 2ctw channel set baguette band with a N-S orientation, those diamonds are .10 each and light up in a quicker pattern. I hope that makes sense! With the E-W band I get larger, much bolder flashes. So while I don't think the direction plays a role in performance I do think the carat weight of the diamonds does. My E-W band is made up of G VS2 stones, which I believe is pretty standard for these types of bands.

Just last week at work I was talking to a man who had a half eternity of large baguettes channel set in YG. I would guess his diamonds to be at least .25 each, it was an amazing ring! Of course I commented on it & he said his wife had it made. I would love to get my DH a ring like that or Gregs!

I agree with DS, the step cuts have to be kept very clean or they lose their sparkle!

I'll be watching your thread for updates. Great project, I can't wait to see what you decide!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results