shape
carat
color
clarity

2.15 ct EC band pics.Help chose solitaire for my EC stone

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
So I got my east west emerald cut band last week. It is beautiful!!! The stones have very lively steps that light up in a kalediscope of different colors as I move my hand. I'm developing an obsession staring at it :cheeky: The ring itself is very comfortable, the five stones measure approximately 3.13mm x 5.23mm are F-G VS2. The setting is 18k WG, shared prong and is closed on the sides. I love the setting and hope that with the sides closed it will help keep the stones clean havind read on here how hard it is to keep step cuts clean.

Now I need a setting for my 1.11ct square EC. I have been wearing the two together around the house and the look is incredible!
I would like a simple solitaire setting, the trick is going to be getting the right height for my stone to look good with the band.
I'm pretty sure I want platinum but may go with 18k white gold if there is a reason not to put the metals next to each other.

The band height is 3.18mm & the width is 4.4mm. I don't want the solitaire set too high, would prefer medium height.
I welcome all suggestions. Here come the pics 8-)

my_ec_and_band_bright.jpg

my_ec_and_band_shade.jpg

my_ec_and_band_sunlight.jpg

my_ec_band_car.jpg

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Re: 2.15 ct EC band pics.Help chose solitaire for my EC ston

I am hoping for a few suggestions. I took my ring and stone to a local jeweler. They had a platinum solitaire setting that worked well however the base price on it was $1695.00 & they wanted a $250.00 setting fee. It was an Ingwer setting. They proposed using the shank they had in stock but replacing the head with one to fit my stone.
I hoping to get something at a better price than that that hasn't been spliced together.
I can make an appointment and go to Dimend Scassi but could only go during the week and would have to go alone :(sad
I live in the burbs & am a total chicken s**t about navigating downtown. I work Saturdays & DH works Mon-Fri. Wish jewelers were open on Sundays!

I saw two settings posted by Gypsy last night in a thread for a cushion diamond. Both were Stuller and the price was a great value.
Since my stone is from JA I could send it back to them for setting if one of those settings would work.
I don't mind if there is a small gap between the two rings. I do want the height off my finger to be the same and the bottom point of the diamond to sit a touch higher than the EC band. I prefer as much of the stone to show as possible. I think I want claw prongs but also like the look of traditional tabs prongs that are done on step cut stones. I have decided against the Van Cleef setting from my earlier thread. It would not go with the band at all.

I'll be at work all day so won't be able to check back until late tonight or tomorrow morning. Thanks in advance for your help :)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh boy! I've been looking at the Kwiat E-W emerald cut band online for the past couple of weeks and this post is like my dreams come to life! It is SO BEAUTIFUL. Just tons and tons of glorious, geometric steps.

My instinct would be a sleek bezel (open on the bottom, not all closed in) for your stone. But you haven't mentioned them as a possibility so it may not be something you're interested in.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I really like that $500 Stuller, I think it's going to be a lovely setting. I say let's wait and see Levitation post pics of his, and you can see how high, etc. it looks. OMG though I ADORE ADORE ADORE your band!! Who did you get that from, again? It's just beautiful. I also love this look, but for your stone I would do no milgrain and a much sleeker, more modern, gallery: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-7c-cushion-in-rose-gold-milgrain-bezel-setting-from-erd.176615/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-7c-cushion-in-rose-gold-milgrain-bezel-setting-from-erd.176615/[/URL]

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

:appl: :love: ITS HERE!!! WOO HOO!! :love: :appl:

Its beautiful, dahling!!! I love that band --- what? no pics of the 2 handsome brothers??? geesh... :roll:

But back to the ring at hand.... STUNNING! Very classy, totally elegant, looks AWESOMESAUCE on your hand - woot woot woot!!! I think live with the band, keep flipping thru threads here of EC cuts, google options, check out setting sites... the right few ideas will come to you - don't rush it!

I agree with prongs - a 5 stone of EC cuts + a solitaire, has a lot of 'hard edges', so claw prongs help to soften up the look. I like the idea of it somewhat raised from the band - let the solitaire take centre stage.

Hmmm... eager to hear what you are thinking of - hurry home from work!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Finally home from work, dogs are fed, giant teenage boy is fed and hubbys going to sleep sooooo....Hello Ladies :appl:

distracts said:
Oh boy! I've been looking at the Kwiat E-W emerald cut band online for the past couple of weeks and this post is like my dreams come to life! It is SO BEAUTIFUL. Just tons and tons of glorious, geometric steps.
Thank you Distacts! The steps just draw me in...like a moth to a flame. I am fascinated by each stone lighting up as I rotate my hand. It is beyond cool. I am 1000% a step cut girl! I ogled that band on Kwiat,too. It's a full eternity so I bet it is a load of moola :$$): I've already had thoughts of just buying 8 more stones or so :cheeky: but for now I'm happy with this. Did you see the LM Hampton band? here's the link https://www.artofplatinum.com/vault/wedding-band-platinum-diamonds My band is the little cousin of this one 8)

My instinct would be a sleek bezel (open on the bottom, not all closed in) for your stone. But you haven't mentioned them as a possibility so it may not be something you're interested in.
I do like bezels but have a bezel on my original e-ring center stone. I love the sparkly edges of my EC so don't want to block the view.

Gypsy said:
I really like that $500 Stuller, I think it's going to be a lovely setting. I say let's wait and see Levitation post pics of his, and you can see how high, etc. it looks.
When I saw the suggestions you made for Levitation, I thought wow, how did Gypsy find those? Great settings & amazing price! Considering what I've been quoted at local jewelers for solitaire settings, plus the stone setting fee of $200+ James Allen is a very viable option. I'll bet the settings I was shown are Stuller,too.

OMG though I ADORE ADORE ADORE your band!! Who did you get that from, again? It's just beautiful. I also love this look, but for your stone I would do no milgrain and a much sleeker, more modern, gallery: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-7c-cushion-in-rose-gold-milgrain-bezel-setting-from-erd.176615/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-7c-cushion-in-rose-gold-milgrain-bezel-setting-from-erd.176615/[/URL]
Thank you so much for Adoring my band! I got it at a local family owned jeweler. They have some gorgeous & unusual pieces there that you don't see in many shops. That's also where I bought my tsav band which I spotted in one of their cases. I was in there back in June, saw the tsav band, snapped it up, then spotted the EC band. I had to have it :devil: Thank god for layaway, it was mine in just three months :D It is our 15th anniversary tomorrow so this is my official present. This is the most beautiful piece I've ever had! I'm very pleased with my purchase :love:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Enerchi said:
:appl: :love: ITS HERE!!! WOO HOO!! :love: :appl:

Its beautiful, dahling!!! I love that band --- what? no pics of the 2 handsome brothers??? geesh... :roll:

But back to the ring at hand.... STUNNING! Very classy, totally elegant, looks AWESOMESAUCE on your hand - woot woot woot!!! I think live with the band, keep flipping thru threads here of EC cuts, google options, check out setting sites... the right few ideas will come to you - don't rush it!

Enerchi you are hilarious! Handsome brother number 1 looked a bit stunned when I picked up my band & whipped my loose EC & GIA papers out of my purse. I'm like "So do you think I can wear this on one hand?" :cheeky: The store was quite busy (at noon on a Wednesday no less?) so we didn't have much time to chat. He took measurements & notes on what I wanted. They were supposed to check into solitaire setting options for me so I'll give them a call tomorrow to see if they found something. If not, or if the price isn't right I'll keep searching.

I agree with prongs - a 5 stone of EC cuts + a solitaire, has a lot of 'hard edges', so claw prongs help to soften up the look. I like the idea of it somewhat raised from the band - let the solitaire take centre stage.
I do love all the claw prongs I see on here, that really may be the way to go. I do want to stay with a classic look, which is kind of funny cuz I've always been a rock n roll girl with a bit of wild taste in clothes and accessories. I guess my middle aged mini van driving days have caught up with me. Should have guessed that would happen when I traded in my Mustang a couple years ago :wacko:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Happy Anniversary today! 15 years of bliss!!

You may be driving that mini van, but you'll always be a "mustang" at heart!!! :D

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Enerchi :lol:

I hope the way I bolded my replies wasn't a breach of forum etiquette. If so it wasn't intentional. I'm not much of a poster and this is the only forum I'm on so not sure if there is a hidden meaning to using bold font, ya know like caps is considered yelling. :oops:

Okay so here are my current & hopefully final thoughts, I love Pixleys set which can be seen here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pixleys-wedding-set-is-all-done-single-stone-w-band-cushion-solitaire.92376/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pixleys-wedding-set-is-all-done-single-stone-w-band-cushion-solitaire.92376/[/URL]

I realize that the proportion of the ec's in the band is much different but love how the rings look together from all angles & think the profile together is TDF. So this overall look is a top contender.

I love many of the Sholdt settings and would consider some of the following if they compliment my band. I need to see how this would look in person so not sure but it has the cool VCA look I liked with the prongs but might be just too off with my stone.
Option number two: http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/sholdt-jewelry/rings/23ZZ1/

I do like the idea of a half bezel and love seeing the side of the stone, plus it is very modern but still has an Art Deco vibe. I also love the shank being bigger at the center and tapering thinner as it moves away from the stone. So these are a couple more options.
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/sholdt-jewelry/rings/10ZZ1/ (picture it with an ec)
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/sholdt-jewelry/rings/13ZZ1/ (Wouldn't get the melee and my stone is only 1ct so it wouldn't have the same proportions as the pic)

I really have no idea if a tapered setting would look okay. Haven't tried one on with the band anywhere. I'm guessing it probably won't work together. Just thought by posting these it would help with inspiration.

It seems as though I am highly likely to end up going with a classic solitaire, which for me is a real surprise. I have always had a penchant for things with an unusual little twist. I guess in this case the band is dictating what I'll get for a setting, backwards from what most do on here :roll:

If anyone thinks they know of the perfect setting available in 18k WG or Plat that is similar to the above or can point me to setting like Pixleys that will work with my band width and height please post. You have all been so nice and helpful and I would like to be able to wear my stone, it seems crazy for me to have a gorgeous stone that's sitting in a box unworn.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your new band is gorgeous! I was thinking Sholdt right off the top of my head before I read it in your post...I really
like the 2 you just posted. Dont really care for th NSEW prong setting on the very first one you posted. I think it would
be too much of a distraction.

Its going to be a beautiful set!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Of the ones you posted, I'd be most inclined to vote HEAVILY (with extra shads!!!) for the initial one of Pixleys - its just so clean and classic. I think your gorgeous band 'says' enough and the EC together in that style of double prong simple solitaire --- would be STUNNING!!! :love:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Okay, so call me crazy, but I think I would like a little metal showing like the sholdt, but don't like either of those at all and think they will overpower your stone. I'd go with something like this instead: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/lattice-princess-platinum-5698p or http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/lattice-thin-comfort-shank-platinum-5681p Can you go and try on a Lucida and see how you like it with your band? I think that's the best way to decide between thick and thin shanks.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Thank you very much for your help and kind words about my band :kiss:

I just read back thru this thread and realize I don't have a clue what I want. I am a Gemini ;))
First I say a classic solitaire, mainly because I guess I know that would look the best. Then I link to all the unusual but extremely cool Sholdt settings. And I love the look of the Lucinda.
I tried on an Artcarved setting which was in the basic look of the lucinda and it was fabulous. If I hadn't purchased this band I honestly would either pick something like that or one of the Sholdt settings.
I guess now I understand why there are so many resets on PS. It's hard to choose just one :cheeky:

Tyty333-Thanks for the compliment! Another Sholdt fan, yay! Not sure if they are going to be in the running but thanks for the feedback.

Enerchi-Yes the Pixley set is stunning! I have had that thread bookmarked for a year & had one of the pics as my desktop wallpaper for a long time. Pixley if you read this, I hope you don't think it's creepy that your hand was saved on my computer :cheeky:

Gypsy-I have stalked BGD daily leafing thru the solitaire pages & kept going back to the lattice princess. I did try on a similar style with the band and it wasn't cohesive up against the band. The lattice was too busy. Also a bit over what I'm willing to spend. Do you like this one? http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/chelsea-split-prong-platinum-5837p or how about this? http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/x-prong-18k-white-gold-5436w18
Are there any other BGD settings that you think could work? Should I send pics and dimensions of the band & diamond to them?
Maybe they can recommend something.

DS2006-Thank you so much for the compliment on my band! I am flattered that all of you incredibly knowledgible ladies think I made a good choice. I was in love when I saw it but its great to know it appears up to PS standards!
I have also looked at the VC Trueste setting, I had bookmarked a thread last fall of Moosemom setting an AVC in that setting. Very beautiful & classic. I will contact him for a price.

Keep the ideas coming folks! I'm hoping to stay under $1800 & will consider 18kWG or Plat. It is okay to put those two metals next to each other, right?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I ADORE the profile of the Chelsea but I'm not a fan of double prongs on one carat step cuts. When I was looking at setting options for my asscher I really wanted double claw prongs based on how they looked on cushions and on larger step cuts. But once I saw the look in enough pics on 1 carat stones I realized that they really can't be done well enough not to be prongtastic.

I do like the BGD X-prong. I think it's got a nice shank size. If that's around 2.7-3mm I think it would be a nice choice.

Do you like this look? http://www.formjewellery.com/cms_media/images/200x200_fitbox-platinum_emerald_cut_diamond_solitaire_4001.jpg (these were the sholdts from earlier).

I'll keep looking.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Pick the ones of these that have the right proportionality and right shank style you want (ignore the finish details like engraving etc. on the settings and pretend they are all high polish plain shanks)

wm_ec_solitaires.jpg

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock

Gypsy|1346259104|3259208 said:
Okay, so call me crazy, but I think I would like a little metal showing like the sholdt, but don't like either of those at all and think they will overpower your stone. I'd go with something like this instead: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/lattice-princess-platinum-5698p or http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/lattice-thin-comfort-shank-platinum-5681p Can you go and try on a Lucida and see how you like it with your band? I think that's the best way to decide between thick and thin shanks.
I really like the thin lattice that Gypsy posted. :love:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just wanted to say that your new band is just gorgeous - love it with your ering stone!

Good luck in your setting search - I'm sure you'll find a perfect one!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Gypsy said:
I ADORE the profile of the Chelsea but I'm not a fan of double prongs on one carat step cuts. When I was looking at setting options for my asscher I really wanted double claw prongs based on how they looked on cushions and on larger step cuts. But once I saw the look in enough pics on 1 carat stones I realized that they really can't be done well enough not to be prongtastic.

I do like the BGD X-prong. I think it's got a nice shank size. If that's around 2.7-3mm I think it would be a nice choice.

Do you like this look? http://www.formjewellery.com/cms_media/images/200x200_fitbox-platinum_emerald_cut_diamond_solitaire_4001.jpg (these were the sholdts from earlier).

I'll keep looking.

Okay so no double claws,I had seen that mentioned here before, single claws it is.

I do think I need a wide-ish shank. The band is 4.4mm wide. The profile height concerns me the most, I think the ER setting shank should be as high so I acheive a nice profile. It is 3.18mm high.

I love the Sholdt setting you linked to! It made me go Gasp! I realize most on here love classic prongs but that setting really appeals to me!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Gypsy said:
Pick the ones of these that have the right proportionality and right shank style you want (ignore the finish details like engraving etc. on the settings and pretend they are all high polish plain shanks)

Okay this is fun! I can't read the descriptions under the pics so just going by looks these are the ones I like:
Top row far right, fourth row down middle setting (but plain of course),bottom row far right.

I saved the chart and blew it up but even with my reading glasses on couldn't make out great detail. So those are ones that would appeal to me.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MissGotRocks|1346321617|3259646 said:
Just wanted to say that your new band is just gorgeous - love it with your ering stone!

Good luck in your setting search - I'm sure you'll find a perfect one!

This!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Thanks MissGotRocks & canuk-gal!!!! Wow I am honored to have two of the most blingtasic babes like my new sparkleys!

Okay here are a couple more pics with flowers. I think my picture taking skills are improving at least a little :twirl:

my_ec_and_band_flower.jpg

my_ec_and_band_profile.jpg

my_ec_and_band_rose.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Honey if this is the look you want send the link to BGD and ERD and ask them if they can do it for 1,800 (I this case, don't ask them for a quote, ask them if they can do it for your budget) for you. http://www.formjewellery.com/cms_media/images/200x200_fitbox-platinum_emerald_cut_diamond_solitaire_4001.jpg... Send them the dimensions of your EC when you do so. Also a picture of your stone with the band (from the profile, like you've posted today) and tell them you want to wear them together.

I think it's a look you've picked again and again, and that it's the right one for you.

It's not a sholdt. It's one that reminded me of the sholdts, but didn't overpower the center (which the sholdts do).

I would probably send your band over with the EC when you do it and ask them to make them work together.

And yes, your photography is improving. :wavey:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Good Morning!
:wavey: GypsyJust woke up & checked email, got the newsletter & I'm staring at all the Sholdt settings right now! Oh how I love them!
I will check on price. Was going to call Pearlmans today to inquire if I could get a replica sent. I'll do my homework & make a decision.

Hoping my search is over!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Hey Woofmama, any other stuller settings you like besides the ones Gypsy posted? I went thru the BGD list - there are a few really cool ones in there....

post the ones you are intrigued by... :naughty:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Hi Enerchi :)

Okay is it just me or do the BGD's glamour shots make my beloved Sholdt settings look even more fabulous! :lickout: :lickout: :lickout:
Here's my list:
1. The Cait-this is the one Gypsy linked to. Their basic semi bezel but for a square stone. Hubby calls me Katie, and thats not my real name. Maybe it's a sign?????
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/cait-sholdt-platinum-5599p

2. The Reese-over my budget but very cool. My stone would look fabulous in this baby! Probably won't work with the band...maybe I could get Cads done to see a 3D perspective. Would have to wait awhile to save up more moola.
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/reese-sholdt-14k-white-gold-5604w14

3. The Harper-same concept as the Cait but prongs instead of bezel. I'm sure they would have no problem changing out the princess prongs to tab style step-cut prongs. But honestly I still love the 1/2 bezel the best.
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/harper-14k-white-gold-5769w14

Those would be my top three contenders. I found a jeweler in Chicago that carries the line & is open on Sunday! I am going to make sure they have it in stock so I can try it on. Have to go to work now so catch up with you tonight.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

For those of you who have had an interest in my setting choices here's an update:

DH & I went to the jeweler today to see the Sholdt settings. This is the style I was interested in: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/cait-sholdt-14k-white-gold-5599w14
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/sholdt-jewelry/rings/10ZZ1/

They had it in stock as pictured with a princess cut CZ. I brought my stone with to help get a visual on it with the setting. My stone is an EC but has a 1.09 ratio so is just off square. We all agreed it will look better set east west with my band in this setting.

OMG-This is the one ladies!!! DH thought it was perfect...it is soooo me! I loved it in person, it's so feminine, swoopy down the sides, curvy yet modern at the same time. It looked great with my band from most angles, only thing I didn't love was the view looking straight down from my fingertips toward the knuckle. Maybe I can get the profile of my band shaved down just a bit to lower it. Not sure if thats a possibility.

Of course for good measure I looked at several prong set solitaires which were immediately ruled out by DH, the sales woman & I. Just weren't my style and were overwhelmed by my band.

The jeweler is a well known highend place in Chicago. They all examined my stone & said it was beautifully cut. None could believe it was a K. Said it looked like a G-H diamond face up.

I plan on getting quotes from Pearlmans & BGD. I'm pretty sure I'll go with 18k WG. That will match my band.

Thanks so much for your help and opinions!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock

Is there any way that you can share the name of the jeweler who made your EC wedding ring? I'm looking for something similar and wondered if they made custom jewelry...thank you!!!!

Lori

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

loriken214|1361858860|3390624 said:
Is there any way that you can share the name of the jeweler who made your EC wedding ring? I'm looking for something similar and wondered if they made custom jewelry...thank you!!!!

Lori

Of course Lori :)) The store is Ancona Jewelers in Addison,IL. I was just in there last week and told them I had several people inquiring about getting the same band. If you contact them tell them I sent you. I paid right around $3.5k. It was an existing piece and I swooned when I saw it 8)

Very nice people, family owned. Two brothers run the business together. Enzo & Antonio. They are a big Tacori/SimonG dealer but also do custom work. http://www.anconajewelers.com/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results