shape
carat
color
clarity

Melee crack/scratch on wedding band?

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I noticed something strange this weekend on my 2mm wedding band. I thought it was just lotion or hand sanitizer clogged underneath the diamond. Nope—after a thorough cleaning it still looked “dead” and not sparkly—I got out the loupe and there is a scratch along the top! I can feel it with my fingernail now that I know it’s there.

How did this happen? Is it an issue with the diamond, itself? I’ve worn this ring every day for almost 20 years (I say it’s my wedding band; it was actually an early anniversary band that I had made in 2004).

I use a baby toothbrush to clean my rings, and it has probably gone in my little magnasonic once a month (if that). I have no recollection of doing anything that could have caused this. The crack/scratch does not seem to have affected the surrounding metal.

I had a hard time zooming in on the ring—but you can see the difference in the problem stone here...

AF5C11BC-BFA9-4461-9EDD-E566C1EFD535.jpeg D4E71769-88C2-4A11-8046-986E06729D82.jpeg

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The third diamond in from the end looks broken to me. It isn't a large stone in a 2mm wide ring, so it won't be a fortune to have it replaced. It happens from time to time. Diamonds can't really be scratched, but they are brittle and can break if they are hit just right. It isn't unusual to see a small diamond break in a daily wear ring.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The third diamond in from the end looks broken to me. It isn't a large stone in a 2mm wide ring, so it won't be a fortune to have it replaced. It happens from time to time. Diamonds can't really be scratched, but they are brittle and can break if they are hit just right. It isn't unusual to see a small diamond break in a daily wear ring.

Thank you for the reply, @oldminer ! I’ll get it replaced before our 20th anniversary next month. :) I think I’ll get both rings signed up for an inspections d “spa day” while I’m at it!

stonehunter20

Shiny_Rock
the third one looks gone to me. :???:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results