shape
carat
color
clarity

Meeting with Leon Mege

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
Bring your cute lil "pooch" with you......*S* Have fun!!!!

Take pictures and post details later.

MWG

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2007 10:15:54 PM
Author: Harriet

Date: 5/24/2007 10:00:33 PM
Author: widget
I feel the need to jump in here and defend poor Leon!

My impressions of him are that he is first and foremost a benchman/jeweler/artist, and probably fairly new to, and and not terribly comfortable with ''dealing with the public''. Many PS vendors hire people whose sole job is to work with the client. For those who want much more ''hands-on'' involvement, there are probably more suitable choices.

He is, never-the-less, a very nice man, and as we almost all agree, his work is superb. For those of us who absolutely trust his eye and judgement, who don''t want to micro-manage a project...he is beyond perfect.

widget
If I see his artistry, I''m just handing him my stone and leaving him be.
Good idea! I am sure it will be awesome!!!

How is your fil? Sorry for the hijack but I was thinking of him and you today.
12.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Harriet. I went back to LM''s site to check where exactly I read about the 30 minute preferred limit, but the site has been changed/updated. The "Policies" section does not work for me, so maybe he is updating this next.

What I remember reading was that he will never cut you off or ask you to leave, but he would prefer if visitors respected a 30-minute limit. I also remember reading that he will gladly take more time if needed, but in his experience, most issues can be worked out in 30 minutes. I''m relying on my memory right now, so I could be slightly wrong, but that candid disclosure made an impression on me when I read it.

I think the thing to keep in mind is that he is an artist first. It''s not like visiting a store.
5.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2007 9:29:15 PM
Author: surfgirl
As much as I love LMs designs, I decided not to go with him after several phonecalls. He was nice initially but he''s very opinionated and it rubbed me the wrong way because I felt like I couldn''t have a conversation with him. I told him I''d be flying in to see him from the West Coast and he said he would only be able to show me two stones. When I explained that I am the type of person who wants to see as many stones as need be before I decide, he got fed up and said I should get my stone elsewhere, and then proceeded to try to make me feel bad that he only makes 1% on the stones he sells and I''m depriving him...I told him he could charge me an extra 1% if he wanted to...He also basically insulted my intelligence with regard to what I like in a stone and thought I was bizarre to not want the same things he wanted in a stone...I cant remember if I wanted better color or clarity than he was offering...And in the end i realized that I need someone who''ll take the time to really sit with me and talk as much as need be. And who''ll update me as needed. I knew we weren''t a good fit right now. But I envy those who use him...I love nearly all his pieces. I''m sure Harriet will be able to tell within her meeting, if he''s right for her. I''m interested in seeing how it goes. I get the feeling he prefers to work with larger stones.

Oh you totally got the right feeling!

When I called him about setting my cushion, he basically told me that it wasn''t "worth it" to set such a "small" stone in such an expensive setting. When I explained to him that since we''re in graduate school I wouldn''t likely be upgrading it for many years and I was very picky about my setting and that the setting was just as, if not more, important to me than the center stone, he did back off, but I was a little put off by the comment initially.

Not to say I wouldn''t work with him in the future, but everyone knows I ended up with a Ritani instead for this stone!
2.gif
You just can''t let his comments get to you or else you''d go nuts!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I get the feeling he prefers to work with larger stones.

I've seen others say that here too. it's funny b/c when I first contacted leon about a setting I still had my old stone at it was an 1 carat OEC. A nice size yes, but not huge like the one's on his website and never once did he say anything or imply in any way that he prefers larger stones or that mine wasn't worth it to him. I have talked to him several times and each time he was very, very nice and seemed happy to take on my project. I will say though that each time I was basically pointing to something he already made and wasn't trying to create something from scratch with him. I'm the type that if I'm going to pay for a Leon, i'm basically going to hand him my stone and let him do is thing. he is a master craftsman and if what you are looking for is a hands on cads/wax/cast...detail to the process, then leon wouldn't be your man. I have seen is work in person though and the quality is right up there with the other big name designers.

Harriet, good luck tomorrow. I would definitely ask Leon to see some of his pave pieces. I know you're looking for a simple solitaire but since your there you might as well look at his most popular style of work.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do think it is much easier if you go in with a couple of his designs that you really like. For example, someday I hope to make a sapphire and diamond 3 stone ring, and I''d just call him and say, make it like Widget''s (sapphire and diamond) or Kaleigh''s (oval diamond 3 stone). We might discuss whether he thinks single or double claw prongs would look best, and that''s about it. I wouldn''t need to go there, although I think it would be wonderful if I lived there like Harriet does!

Good luck, Harriet, and I hope you have a productive meeting!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2007 10:19:38 PM
Author: MWG
Bring your cute lil ''pooch'' with you......*S* Have fun!!!!

Take pictures and post details later.

MWG
9.gif
Will do.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2007 10:38:21 PM
Author: Skippy123
Good idea! I am sure it will be awesome!!!

How is your fil? Sorry for the hijack but I was thinking of him and you today.
12.gif
Thank you very much. We just got the message that he''s up and standing, as well as eating, and it hasn''t been 12 hours since the end of the op. Thanks for your prayers.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2007 10:40:19 PM
Author: starryeyed
Hi Harriet. I went back to LM''s site to check where exactly I read about the 30 minute preferred limit, but the site has been changed/updated. The ''Policies'' section does not work for me, so maybe he is updating this next.

What I remember reading was that he will never cut you off or ask you to leave, but he would prefer if visitors respected a 30-minute limit. I also remember reading that he will gladly take more time if needed, but in his experience, most issues can be worked out in 30 minutes. I''m relying on my memory right now, so I could be slightly wrong, but that candid disclosure made an impression on me when I read it.

I think the thing to keep in mind is that he is an artist first. It''s not like visiting a store.
5.gif
Thanks for the update. When I called to make the appointment, he''d already had one at 4. I asked for 3.30, but was told that wasn''t early enough. I tried 3:15 (ok, I operate on a tight schedule), and was told the same thing. So, I actually have the impression that he wants more time rather than less. Don''t worry, I won''t ask to try on everything. There are only 2 items that I''d like to see.
2.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2007 10:45:04 PM
Author: neatfreak

When I called him about setting my cushion, he basically told me that it wasn''t ''worth it'' to set such a ''small'' stone in such an expensive setting. When I explained to him that since we''re in graduate school I wouldn''t likely be upgrading it for many years and I was very picky about my setting and that the setting was just as, if not more, important to me than the center stone, he did back off, but I was a little put off by the comment initially.

Not to say I wouldn''t work with him in the future, but everyone knows I ended up with a Ritani instead for this stone!
2.gif
Wise words.
1.gif

Btw, what grad programme are you in? I''m a grad school runaway.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2007 11:07:34 PM
Author: mrssalvo
Harriet, good luck tomorrow. I would definitely ask Leon to see some of his pave pieces. I know you're looking for a simple solitaire but since your there you might as well look at his most popular style of work.
Thanks! There's a pave piece that I most definitely want to see. Can you guess which one that might be?
21.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2007 11:25:47 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I do think it is much easier if you go in with a couple of his designs that you really like. For example, someday I hope to make a sapphire and diamond 3 stone ring, and I'd just call him and say, make it like Widget's (sapphire and diamond) or Kaleigh's (oval diamond 3 stone). We might discuss whether he thinks single or double claw prongs would look best, and that's about it. I wouldn't need to go there, although I think it would be wonderful if I lived there like Harriet does!

Good luck, Harriet, and I hope you have a productive meeting!
Thanks, DS. I'll do my homework.
34.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Someone please tell me that he doesn''t draw the line at F.

Kasey3

Shiny_Rock

As much as I love LMs designs, I decided not to go with him after several phonecalls. He was nice initially but he''s very opinionated and it rubbed me the wrong way because I felt like I couldn''t have a conversation with him. I told him I''d be flying in to see him from the West Coast and he said he would only be able to show me two stones. When I explained that I am the type of person who wants to see as many stones as need be before I decide, he got fed up and said I should get my stone elsewhere, and then proceeded to try to make me feel bad that he only makes 1% on the stones he sells and I''m depriving him...I told him he could charge me an extra 1% if he wanted to...He also basically insulted my intelligence with regard to what I like in a stone and thought I was bizarre to not want the same things he wanted in a stone...I cant remember if I wanted better color or clarity than he was offering...And in the end i realized that I need someone who''ll take the time to really sit with me and talk as much as need be. And who''ll update me as needed. I knew we weren''t a good fit right now. But I envy those who use him...I love nearly all his pieces. I''m sure Harriet will be able to tell within her meeting, if he''s right for her. I''m interested in seeing how it goes. I get the feeling he prefers to work with larger stones.

When I called him about setting my cushion, he basically told me that it wasn''t ''worth it'' to set such a ''small'' stone in such an expensive setting. When I explained to him that since we''re in graduate school I wouldn''t likely be upgrading it for many years and I was very picky about my setting and that the setting was just as, if not more, important to me than the center stone, he did back off, but I was a little put off by the comment initially.

2.gif
I worked with him on a project for a 1.2 RB, and he mentioned that he does not like double claws on a small stone, but it was not a put down it was a preference he statedi I didn''t take it personally because my stone is small in comparison to the large stones that he does work with. He was very happy to work with my stone, and I found him to be nice and helpful.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/25/2007 7:47:05 AM
Someone please tell me that he doesn't draw the line at F.
No, he did have that O color diamond on his site that Maisie was interested in at one time, so he does not just do colorless.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2007 7:57:56 AM
Author: Pyramid

Date: 5/25/2007 7:47:05 AM
Someone please tell me that he doesn''t draw the line at F.
No, he did have that O color diamond on his site that Maisie was interested in at one time, so he does not just do colorless.
Phew! Thanks.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2007 7:54:22 AM
Author: Kasey3
I worked with him on a project for a 1.2 RB, and he mentioned that he does not like double claws on a small stone, but it was not a put down it was a preference he statedi I didn''t take it personally because my stone is small in comparison to the large stones that he does work with. He was very happy to work with my stone, and I found him to be nice and helpful.
Good to know.
1.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2007 7:41:00 AM

2.gif
Wise words.
1.gif

Btw, what grad programme are you in? I''m a grad school runaway.
Lol. But YOU made it all the way through law school! I am in public policy actually. I do mostly social welfare research, esp. on children and families. Healthcare/Health insurance, poverty, and food (either insecurity or obesity) are my main interests.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you met with him Harriet???

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harriet
36.gif
36.gif

Inquiring minds want to know?

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Well??? We''re all dying to know how it went???

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
I thought I read somewhere on this thread that she is meeting with him at 3pm? Maybe I am misremembering? Hopefully she will report back soon.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
sounds like you are back. How did it go?
11.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone,

I'm back. The only negative thing that happened was that some woman walked in 5 minutes before I did (my appointment was at 11:30), lied about having an appointment and stole my time. However, Leon and staff could not have been more apologetic. We disagreed on design (his favourites are the 3-stones), but he was respectful of my wishes and offered me a reasonable quote. He also admired my rhodolite and suggested settings, while maintaining that it might be more cost-efficient to set it elsewhere. Unfortunately, he's sent most of his pieces to the Las Vegas show, but he did show me a $200,000 ruby!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Harriet,
You crack me up
2.gif
. I saw you asking kokolee804 what time they met with LM. Yeah, when is it going to be ready?!??!? Very exciting.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
so, are you going with him for your setting?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2007 4:19:04 PM
Author: Skippy123
Harriet,
You crack me up
2.gif
. I saw you asking kokolee804 what time they met with LM. Yeah, when is it going to be ready?!??!? Very exciting.
2.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2007 4:21:19 PM
Yes.
1.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2007 4:23:48 PM

Date: 5/25/2007 4:21:19 PM
Yes.
1.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

pweeez tell us more

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results