shape
carat
color
clarity

Meet Marjorie, or, Why has PreRaphaelite been so obsessed with pearls lately?

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She's beautiful!

Mcgregor

Shiny_Rock
Diamonds and pearls.......it doesn’t get any better than that. And this piece I’d absolutely gorgeous!! I love it!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness - this is awesome! Yaaaaaaayyyy!!!!!! Beautiful and romantic piece! Keep us posted as you clean her, and what outfits you pair her with. I could see her adorning both dressy and casual clothes. And of course we want to know the story of how you found her.

And I have to say that I love her name. I think you and I probably had the same stomping ground as children. I know exactly where that house is! I even did a photoshoot of a model there in the garden a few years ago for paintings. (I also love Dumbarton Oaks - how about you?)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Whoa--sweet!!!!!

cheers--Sharon

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness - this is awesome! Yaaaaaaayyyy!!!!!! Beautiful and romantic piece! Keep us posted as you clean her, and what outfits you pair her with. I could see her adorning both dressy and casual clothes. And of course we want to know the story of how you found her.

And I have to say that I love her name. I think you and I probably had the same stomping ground as children. I know exactly where that house is! I even did a photoshoot of a model there in the garden a few years ago for paintings. (I also love Dumbarton Oaks - how about you?)

Yep! So maybe we were neighbors once? I love the whole area, but since I’m from Tenleytown I’m biased! I briefly considered naming her after Evalyn Walsh McLean but she had such unhappy times I decided to stick with Marjorie! McLean Gardens was still an actual walled garden/estate when I was a kid.

I think Marjorie will be an everyday bling for me, for two reasons. First, wow I’m in love, and never want to be without her for a minute, and second, my everyday tops are white bodices. Some people like t-shirts, I like corset covers. So she works perfectly with them. I just have to find something to string her upon.

Several people have asked where she came from, and the answer is online auction (not eBay) which is the same site where I found Buttercup and a few other pieces which no one has seen yet.... heh heh heh. Muhuwhahahahaha.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Yep! So maybe we were neighbors once? I love the whole area, but since I’m from Tenleytown I’m biased! I briefly considered naming her after Evalyn Walsh McLean but she had such unhappy times I decided to stick with Marjorie! McLean Gardens was still an actual walled garden/estate when I was a kid.

I think Marjorie will be an everyday bling for me, for two reasons. First, wow I’m in love, and never want to be without her for a minute, and second, my everyday tops are white bodices. Some people like t-shirts, I like corset covers. So she works perfectly with them. I just have to find something to string her upon.

Several people have asked where she came from, and the answer is online auction (not eBay) which is the same site where I found Buttercup and a few other pieces which no one has seen yet.... heh heh heh. Muhuwhahahahaha.

Small world! I lived in various spots in DC, MD and VA growing up. I miss that whole area from Annapolis, MD down to Lexington, VA. The smell of old bricks and boxwoods is deep in my soul!

I'd bet your new jewels will look great with corset cover bodice tops. And do show us your other new treasures when you are ready!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Funky junk, which turned out to be three different types of glue, before:
BA3C187F-AB9C-4CAD-AD91-3DFEA1E63EC9.jpeg

Clean of all glue (there were even some globs on the stone, yuck):
0E3C7322-FE85-434F-B628-3646651A94CC.jpeg

After, with pearls re-glued as best I could:
638BAB22-4B5E-4EA1-ABE5-CBDDDE94DEA7.jpeg

Side shot! Showing the old chip repair (I think):
6B5101EA-41B8-456C-8A86-2D00A64D115C.jpeg

And the whole gang hanging out together while I wash my hands:
4CAB44CD-A5E1-4F2A-8226-23E6C52A12FB.jpeg

Naturally, I’m not satisfied with the new glue job I did, but since she will have to be unmounted to be graded in the future, I’ll have the pearls reglued by a professional at that time. In the interim, I’ll just wear her and enjoy every moment!

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funky junk, which turned out to be three different types of glue, before:
BA3C187F-AB9C-4CAD-AD91-3DFEA1E63EC9.jpeg

Clean of all glue (there were even some globs on the stone, yuck):
0E3C7322-FE85-434F-B628-3646651A94CC.jpeg

After, with pearls re-glued as best I could:
638BAB22-4B5E-4EA1-ABE5-CBDDDE94DEA7.jpeg

Side shot! Showing the old chip repair (I think):
6B5101EA-41B8-456C-8A86-2D00A64D115C.jpeg

And the whole gang hanging out together while I wash my hands:
4CAB44CD-A5E1-4F2A-8226-23E6C52A12FB.jpeg

Naturally, I’m not satisfied with the new glue job I did, but since she will have to be unmounted to be graded in the future, I’ll have the pearls reglued by a professional at that time. In the interim, I’ll just wear her and enjoy every moment!

Pretty cool!
At least there was no neck crud to deal with a’la @JPie belcher chain she dealt with :lol: :sick:

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Look at her muffin top!!! Oh my...so lovely. Wish we could her story, from beginning to when you got her.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Look at her muffin top!!! Oh my...so lovely. Wish we could her story, from beginning to when you got her.

Thanks! I wish her (Pearl? Coral? Turquoise? Who knows?) original strand was still intact. I’m struggling to find the right thing to string her with. Google images aren’t helping at all.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Whatever you'll wear often! As in every day LOL.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks! I wish her (Pearl? Coral? Turquoise? Who knows?) original strand was still intact. I’m struggling to find the right thing to string her with. Google images aren’t helping at all.

Absolutely fabulous find, and that OEC is just gorgeous!

How about hanging Marjorie from an icy white jade necklace, perhaps something like this? but more colorless than white.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
This is just glorious. That diamond is something else. The whole piece is just lucky to have been rescued by you.

How did you get the glue off without ruining the pearls?! What new glue did you use?

It must have been so satisfying to clean. Not sure how you clean it once the pearls are all back on?

collier

Shiny_Rock
Small world! I lived in various spots in DC, MD and VA growing up. I miss that whole area from Annapolis, MD down to Lexington, VA. The smell of old bricks and boxwoods is deep in my soul!

I'd bet your new jewels will look great with corset cover bodice tops. And do show us your other new treasures when you are ready!

Yes! Please show us your treasures and if you aren't afraid of competition, do share the online auction site.

On a sidenote, RunningwithSissors, Lexington is a very specific reference. I bet the dogwoods and redbuds have been in bloom for sometime in the rolling hills below House Mountain.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:kiss2: Wow, the perfect combination.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soooooo beautiful and romantic. Sigh.....

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Nope. It won’t lay flat. I think it was meant to be a bracelet clasp?

Attachments

• 1E3FC75A-6A1B-45DF-9BE6-29A7540838D6.jpeg
    1E3FC75A-6A1B-45DF-9BE6-29A7540838D6.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 24

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
But I must say, it’s been lovely to have pearls on, again. I haven’t had them in a long time. I need to get some decent respectable budget-level pearls STAT!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I tried shortening it but it still didn’t look right. So I cut the wire down to make a wrap bracelet. 81F2652F-51CF-480D-85FF-B2B913E2B2E6.jpeg F4973EC0-9390-41B3-92A2-B2B5D9E9965A.jpeg
This will have to do until I can try what you said @Lykame because housework awaits.

It is stunning! Interesting the colour difference between the strand and your clasp. However it does look lovely on a pearl chain.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
@collier :wavey:

I bet they are! (oh House Mountain! so beautiful!)

And the waters flowing over the rocks at Goshen are probably as peaceful and lovely as ever.

What decade where you there? Mid '90's for me. So many interesting folks there at the time!

*Sigh*

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
@PreRaphaelite Even though you are still figuring out exactly how you want to wear it, it still loves lovely against your skin. I hadn't seen an arrangement with a diamond wrapped in pearls before, so it is unique and really suits you.

collier

Shiny_Rock
Early aughts, when I had the pleasure to get to know some of the dearest and smartest people. I can almost smell the sweet mountain air. Sorry for the thread jack OP. I quite agree that the combination of pearls and diamonds is very fitting for you, classic, elegant and refined.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
@collier -- Have you read Hold Still, Sally Mann's memoir? It brings back such a rush of Lex memories. No place else quite like Rockbridge County.

(Sorry, I promise I won't hijack this thread anymore!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results