shape
carat
color
clarity

Meet Lola the cushion shaped 5.34 L VS carat chunky cut OEC.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Meet Lola the cushion shaped 5.34 L VS carat chunky cut

WOW!!! Lola is gorgeous arkieb1, what a rock! :love: :love: :love: She's a beauty, I'm very happy for you and can't wait to see her set and on your finger!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

arkieb1 said:
soxfan|1382359133|3541567 said:
OMG I love the chunky pastel colors it gives off! So beautiful! Which setting are you thinking of putting her in?

Hi Sox, well that is a long story. The short story is I am limited because I don't want to risk sending the stone overseas, so lots of vendors will not make me a setting for it without the stone, because it is not perfectly round. I did get a preloved setting briefly with filigree and carved out pieces and small diamonds but I thought the stone looked better in the simple original pin. So I have started again and am trying to get a much more simple antique 8 prong setting made for it. Will keep you updated as I know more, hopefully in the next few weeks if all goes to plan, if not then I will probably cut the 10 prong head off the pin (which is lovely too btw) and get a setting made out of that.

Kind of a random aside, but I think THIS is one of the reasons my custom guy is so psyched about 3-D printing. Scan the stone at one end, build the model at the other, cast it, finish it with your customary attention to detail, ship it to someone at the customer's end who can do basic setting ... BOOM, high-end clients happy with little to no hassle!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Circe|1382403169|3541976 said:
arkieb1 said:
soxfan|1382359133|3541567 said:
OMG I love the chunky pastel colors it gives off! So beautiful! Which setting are you thinking of putting her in?

Hi Sox, well that is a long story. The short story is I am limited because I don't want to risk sending the stone overseas, so lots of vendors will not make me a setting for it without the stone, because it is not perfectly round. I did get a preloved setting briefly with filigree and carved out pieces and small diamonds but I thought the stone looked better in the simple original pin. So I have started again and am trying to get a much more simple antique 8 prong setting made for it. Will keep you updated as I know more, hopefully in the next few weeks if all goes to plan, if not then I will probably cut the 10 prong head off the pin (which is lovely too btw) and get a setting made out of that.

Kind of a random aside, but I think THIS is one of the reasons my custom guy is so psyched about 3-D printing. Scan the stone at one end, build the model at the other, cast it, finish it with your customary attention to detail, ship it to someone at the customer's end who can do basic setting ... BOOM, high-end clients happy with little to no hassle!

Hi Circe, no it's not random at all, I was like OMG that would be really cool. The stone has been sitting unset for months now because I couldn't get anyone to attempt to set it without having the stone. Who is the person you use if you don't mind me asking? It could be a backup plan C or D if the second attempt fails. I have sent the pin part to a well known vendor and it arrived today, so I am on a wait and see tender-hooks depending upon if he can make something and then when it arrives in Australia if Trevor the setter guy who I know here can make the stone fit into the setting.

The first attempt I made to have the stone set was a complete disaster. I bought a really expensive preloved repo and when it arrived it was too small for the stone + I actually didn't like the stone and the setting together anyway. I liked each separately but they didn't work in harmony together.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

rileyl|1382366820|3541644 said:
Oh. My. Goodness. Gracious.

THAT? Is a gorgeous diamond!!! I've become rather partial to my M, :appl: so I totally feel you on the warmer colour/old cut thing. :love: :love: :love:

I cannot WAIT to see her set and on your lovely hand!

Thanks Rileyl, I LOVE your stone too!!!! Mid colours in old cuts are totally delish!!!! This one is very white facing too most of the time I swear....

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

junebug17|1382402127|3541971 said:
WOW!!! Lola is gorgeous arkieb1, what a rock! :love: :love: :love: She's a beauty, I'm very happy for you and can't wait to see her set and on your finger!

Thanks Junebug, I can't wait to be able to wear her either!!!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

It's stunning! Looking forward to more pics ;))

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

It looks amazing and I can totally tell the cut is lovely. Great find, your patience paid off!

Here is the patented Dreamer trick for taking amazing photos of diamonds. You ready? ;))

Find a big window and sit near the sill facing the window. Then put the diamond in a clawed diamond holder, the type like a pen. Then you crouch down by the sill and put your left elbow on the sill for balance and stability. In your left hand you hold the diamond holder with your pinky and ring finger and thumb, grasping it near the diamond so the stone is near your palm. Diamond facing you of course. Then cup your loose pointer and middle finger so the diamond is in the shadow of your palm-- the light then *only* reaches the stone indirectly by reflecting off you. Creates pastels and wild lovely facets. Then use macro mode to take shots. Hold the camera really close to the stone. You can balance a finger from the camera hand on the hand cupping the diamond for extra stability when taking macro pics. Once you download them, crop all images so that only the diamond is framed in the shot. Voila.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't know where I was that I missed this before, but wow! Stunning, sophisticated, elegant, gorgeous and blingy! :cheeky: Forgot huge!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

GemFever|1382459013|3542336 said:
It's stunning! Looking forward to more pics ;))

Thanks, Gem, I can't wait to take some more when she is set!!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

minousbijoux|1382550652|3543004 said:
I don't know where I was that I missed this before, but wow! Stunning, sophisticated, elegant, gorgeous and blingy! :cheeky: Forgot huge!

Thanks!!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer_D|1382504826|3542772 said:
It looks amazing and I can totally tell the cut is lovely. Great find, your patience paid off!

Here is the patented Dreamer trick for taking amazing photos of diamonds. You ready? ;))

Find a big window and sit near the sill facing the window. Then put the diamond in a clawed diamond holder, the type like a pen. Then you crouch down by the sill and put your left elbow on the sill for balance and stability. In your left hand you hold the diamond holder with your pinky and ring finger and thumb, grasping it near the diamond so the stone is near your palm. Diamond facing you of course. Then cup your loose pointer and middle finger so the diamond is in the shadow of your palm-- the light then *only* reaches the stone indirectly by reflecting off you. Creates pastels and wild lovely facets. Then use macro mode to take shots. Hold the camera really close to the stone. You can balance a finger from the camera hand on the hand cupping the diamond for extra stability when taking macro pics. Once you download them, crop all images so that only the diamond is framed in the shot. Voila.

Thanks Dreamer, I will have to have a go at your recommended trick, except I only have a crappy camera, so it's the Iphone or the Iphone camera + a loupe held on to it.... the best pics I have to date are with Iphone + my loupe!!!

Alistra

Shiny_Rock

What a find! Congratulations! More pics please! More, more, more :love:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

WOW I clearly need to get to this forum more often! I missed the "reveal"! Stunning!! :love: fabulous! :love: :love: :love: BREATHTAKING, :love: :love: an amazing find!

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock

A-ma-zing! :lickout:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

That is such an extraordinary stone!!! Excellent find!

Rika

Rough_Rock

OMG I cannot WAIT to see what you do with Lola!!! Gorgeeeeeeeee! :lickout: :love:

angeline

Ideal_Rock

Oh. My. Goodness. Where oh where in Oz do you find such a beauty? I have just moved back to Australia after living in the US for 10 years and I'm a bit bummed at the lack of choice here in diamonds.

How on earth did you find such a beauty? I think you have done such a great job of taking pics - she looks just gorgeous to me :love: :love: :love:

Cannot wait to see her set on your hand :bigsmile: Big congrats!

angeline

Ideal_Rock

I had to laugh at this. Only on Pricescope!

Very cool instructions Dreamer :bigsmile: :appl:

almondblossom

Shiny_Rock

What a beauty!!! She is divine :love: Please, post more pictures!

missymoo

Shiny_Rock

Hello Lola!!! what a beauty you are! And thank you Dreamer - your photos are always yummy!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

:love:

Good lord. Lola is a stunner Arkie!!! I too would hesitate to have any work done on such a stone - she's breathtaking in her current condition and I'd have a hard time resolving that risk/reward ratio... and true to form I must say that I find the slight asymmetry and worn facet meets very charming ::)

I can't wait to see her set! Cutting the head off the pin is a fantastic idea - you're sure you'll like how it looks, there's much less room for error than w/ having a setting made overseas without the stone, and I do also like the idea of preserving a part of the original setting ::)

Thanks for sharing!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Goodness I just stumbled across this thread, and Lola. Congratulations. After everything you've been through,you deserve her! Cannot wait to see her set!

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock

Wow, it's huge and gorgeous :love: I can't wait to see how you set it.

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium

"Her name was Lola, she was a diamond . . . " (Sing along Barry Manilow fans). Can hardly wait to see her set! :love: :appl: :love:

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Holy smokes! Lola is beautiful! I can't wait to see her set and on your finger but she must be really fun to stare at in the meantime!

ringcat

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Wow arkieb, what a great find! She is really beautiful! Looking forward to seeing her set.

I had been looking here in Melbourne at estate auctions some time back but it was so hard to find anything in the KLM range. White is all I came across.

Cant wait to see her set and on your hand. If you wouldn't mind, it would be great to know where you got Lola from and which jeweller is setting her for you. I have yet to find a jeweller in this country that I trust.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Alistra|1382739852|3544709 said:
What a find! Congratulations! More pics please! More, more, more :love:

I will get around to it one day when she is set.....

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks Mayk, AnnaH, Rosebloom, Rika, almondblossom and missymoo - I can't wait until she is set either!!!

Angeline, I think it was a lucky find. I searched everywhere Ebay, and jewellers and auction sites from the US to the UK, it was possibly a freak accident to find the stone here.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie|1383619340|3550560 said:
:love:

Good lord. Lola is a stunner Arkie!!! I too would hesitate to have any work done on such a stone - she's breathtaking in her current condition and I'd have a hard time resolving that risk/reward ratio... and true to form I must say that I find the slight asymmetry and worn facet meets very charming ::)

I can't wait to see her set! Cutting the head off the pin is a fantastic idea - you're sure you'll like how it looks, there's much less room for error than w/ having a setting made overseas without the stone, and I do also like the idea of preserving a part of the original setting ::)

Thanks for sharing!!

Hi Yssie, it WAS a risk versus reward ratio - I decided leaving the diamond be including the chipped girdle and a handful of rather endearing "wonk" was probably better than messing with the diamond too much. The diamond is pretty darn nice as is, so despite the fact the girdle bugs the hell out of me I am learning to live with it.

Thanks Ashleigh, iluvshinythings and LLJsmom!!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

derbygal|1384020973|3553444 said:
"Her name was Lola, she was a diamond . . . " (Sing along Barry Manilow fans). Can hardly wait to see her set! :love: :appl: :love:

That wasn't the association with this diamond although I read it and it cracked me up, now when I look at the diamond I hear that song in my head :lol: :lol: :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results