shape
carat
color
clarity

Meet Chunky and Lopsy - my new old cuts!!

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I love them! I vote milgrain bezels too.. The more I see old cut stones, the more I love them
30.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Absolutely gorgeous stones with hilarious pet names!!! I adore the inner miligrain bezel settings, so I''m voting for that!

heliotrope

Shiny_Rock
oooh!! I am sure that I almost bought chunky!!

he wasn''t up that long - great to know he went to a good home

9.gif

before I settled on my rb plain BGD bezels - the plan was the get a pair of transitionals to set like this

double bezzie.jpg

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, I will be the odd man out, I say the 8 prong, I love the look of the miligrain but those 8 prongs are tdf and would be stunning on chunky and lopsy!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooh those are gorgeous and I also vote bezels! I can''t wait to see them set!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Laila, jill, odd, stci, lightning, maevie, lauren, heliotrope, lcom, thing - for looking and opining! Sounds like a lot of PSers noticed them for sale
4.gif

Bezels seem to be leading by rather a lot
18.gif

jill - they weren't a matched pair, and they do look a bit different in person. I wouldn't use them as sidestones on the same ring, but with my big head in between I doubt it'll be an issue
5.gif
got them from the same ebay store.

Maevie - I'm new to the old cut club but I'm here to stay, these stones are so beautiful and full of character! Prices are nice, too, I must say
9.gif

heliotrope - hehe I'll take good care of her, I promise
3.gif

...wow, that's a lot of smileys.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I''m biased since I have two small OECs that I''m putting in 3 prong martinis, so I''m pretty sure you know which way I''m going to vote. ;-)

Beautiful stones!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I love them! I have WF 8 prong martinis and they do look sort of vintage. And I love rose gold. Still if they were mine I would put them in rose gold milgraine bezels. Really boosts the size.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Lovely pair!! I think they look gorgeous, and I also vote for the bezels.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I''m curious about bezeling though, because my soon-to-be OEC is also a little loopsy, 5.16 - 5.39. I''m ok with that, but I''m wondering if that will make it more difficult to bezel, and maybe look funky when its a finished piece as well?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Princess - Thanks! I remember your 0.18 last year - is there a thread on the other? I want to see pics!! They're going to be such sweet studs
1.gif

Thanks kelpie! rose gold bezels... hmmm
11.gif

Indy - That's my concern too - not so much that the bezel will highlight the lopsiness (I'm usually nutty about symmetry but somehow I find it really cute), but that it'll look like I have a cushion in one ear and a round in the other..

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
those are awesome! I always thought people were too anal for earrings lol - they don''t have to be identical when a pretty face divides them!! I think they''re perfect :) And if you want rose gold 8 prong martinis - why the heck not??? Seriously - there''s no reason not to :) Bezels could perhaps be usd to fix the lopsidedness? I dunno - I can''t really see the lopsy but I believe you that it''s there :)

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/7/2010 6:45:25 PM
Author: heliotrope
oooh!! I am sure that I almost bought chunky!!

he wasn't up that long - great to know he went to a good home

9.gif

before I settled on my rb plain BGD bezels - the plan was the get a pair of transitionals to set like this
OOOOHHH!! These are TDF!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Another vote for milgrain bezels.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Cehra and Phoenix!
1.gif

Well, I talked to FI and it turns out he likes the 8-prong martinis in white metal best, so that's what we're doing! He so rarely has opinions on jewellery, this is definitely something to encourage
31.gif
9.gif

I can't wait!

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. They''re beautiful and would look stunning in whichever setting you choose for them!

I would''ve voted for the milgrain bezels, but agree with you that an interest in jewellery is to be encouraged!

Btw, I loved the "got booty" shot!
9.gif

Can''t wait to see them set!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Just beautiful Yssie, great job! And your photos are fabulous too
30.gif

I personally don't see the lopsided-ness of lopsy..I do notice one has a larger culet, and is more OEC-ish, whilst the other has a smaller culet and is heading toward transitional territory..

However, I think they still make a striking couple and will become beautiful earrings..
My vote is also for the bezels, however did you post a photo of the 8 prong, am I missing it??

nice ice

Shiny_Rock
35.gif
Chunky and Lopsy are awesome~

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
They are beautiful, I am thinking of crossing over to the old cut club as well.
30.gif

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Oh, your new stones are beautiful!!! I personally would go with delicate milgrain bezel!
30.gif

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/7/2010 3:39:01 PM
Author: yssie
They''ll be studs since I cannibalised my old pair for my ring. The question is, do I go with teeny tiny wg milgrain bezels or romantically swoon-worthy 8-prong martinis in rg?

Bezels:
Pros - incredibly delicate, seems to fit the antiquey-ness of the stones better
Cons - Lopsy is already lopsided, I don''t know that I want a bezel that will highlight that... I don''t think these stones are cut for light return so they''d have to have open backs. Not reusable, more expensive.

Martinis:
Pros - I''ve completely fallen for these 8-prongs - they''re like flowers! Let more light into the pavilion, cheaper, reusable. I''d definitely want rose gold.
Cons - rg will highlight the yellow tint - not that I really care, though. Too modern for older stones?
Nice to meet you, Chunky and Lopsy!

I disagree with the highlighted statement above. Judging from the photos, they have GREAT light return! I love the facet patterns of both stones. I vote for milgrain bezels to accentuate the antique look. Gorgeous stones, congrats!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
go FI:) cultivate that interest in jewelry and reap rewards for many years to come
2.gif

Can''t wait to see them in their new home:_)

and thanks for the info re the seller!!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
No wonder my ears were burning! Blushing to have my wee studs brought up in your thread on Chunky & Lopsy! One of mine is slightly Lopsy too and it doesn''t bother me bezeled &, as you said, with my big head between them: so I vote Miligrained Bezel!

The work BGD did in mine is sooooooo delicate you can barely even see the detailing -- its more like just a fine fine glittery texture right by the stone blending the stone into the bezel and adding to the illusion of bezel plumpiness.

Chunky & Lopsy are LOVELY!! Congrats! Nothing like a kooky kaliedescopic pastel-flashing oldie to get my heart a fluttering.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
These are really pretty!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
How funny yssie, I have a virtually identical pair of oldies waiting to become earrings someday. I have always planned to set them in millgrain bezels, but I have to wait until I forget how much more expensive the settings will be than the stones were, lol. Anyway, I really adore millgrain bezel earrings for old cuts. I have some itty bitty modern RBs in these incredibly delicate teensy bezels in my third and fourth pierces... they''re 1mm total w/ the bezels. I think really really thin bezels look amazing as earrings.

That being said, the martini ones sound fab too.
3.gif

heliotrope

Shiny_Rock
ok yssie - you are holding out on the 8-prong martini visuals!!

come on now - we need to see pics

31.gif

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
What lovely stones. Having them set into 8 prong martini''s will look awesome. I have my oec set in WF 8 prong. I will try and take some pictures for you to see.

Love the pet names for them. And I thought I was strange to name my stones.
37.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trekkie - thanks! Definitely!

AJ - that was pretty much what Mike said too, and after seeing the stones I'm agreeing. They're definitely different side by side - wouldn't make good sidestones, say - but as earrings they'll be fine
1.gif
I think if they were bigger stones it might be more of a visibility issue, but as they are from arm's length you don't really see much but sparkle!

hot ice - thanks!

lknvrb - I'm seriously loving them - I don't think I've ever found two stones this interesting. They're so different from what I look for in rbs, princesses, ECs.. so pretty and charming!

thanks chiquita and NEU, I'm sacrificing for the cause
3.gif
Not really much of a sacrifice though, the 8 prong designs are gorgeous!

Bella - exactly!!!

deco - Thanks! your STUDZZZ are exactly what I'd be looking for in milgrain AND bezels, they're inspirational
30.gif
I didn't know one of yours was lopsy - they look exactly the same to me! I guess that answers that question!

thanks mscushion!

LGK - haha I'm seeing what you mean! Actually, it's not so much the total price (which will be surprisingly low, actually) as the distribution of stone-setting costs. I'm used to 10:1 or 5:1 ratios, 2:1 is
23.gif
I know if I don't get exactly what I want (or, what we want
9.gif
) now I'll just pine for a reset though, so we're saving in the end..

heliotrope - coming up!

Gothgrrl - Would love to see yours! And.. I reckon a lot of us name our pet rocks, at least secretly
5.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bliss'' beauties:
(her stones are much bigger than mine!)

8prongmartinibliss2.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
therube's OECs:
(mine will be a wee bit bigger)

therubeoecs.jpg

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/7/2010 3:52:18 PM
Author: yssie
Thanks Sparkly, I''m a convert!
LOL...Yes, that does happen once you own an antique cut whether it be a OEC, Cushion, OMC or Transition. Lucky you, you have 2 gorgeous antique cuts to call your own. You''re a wonderful inspiration to those of us have been thinking about old cut diamond studs.
11.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results