shape
carat
color
clarity

Matching a diamond with fluorescence???

legg3819

Rough_Rock
Hi, all
I am having a ring made. It is a large pave dome (about 3.5 carats) with a 2.3-ish-carat round brilliant half bezel set in the top. It will be set in 18K yellow gold.

I have been going back and forth on the center diamond. Initially I bought a GIA Cert M-color VS2 2.3 carat excellent cut. As you can imagine, it is noticeably yellow next to white diamonds. The stone is not yellow to my eye on its own (but what do I know??). It is very sparkly and pretty. (It is returnable.) My jeweler, whom I trust, says in his opinion the color will be fine set in yellow gold. He will match the pave on the dome to the yellow-ish diamond. He says it will look great.

Then I got the idea of buying a same-size, same-spec GIA diamond with strong blue fluorescence. This would mitigate the yellow and the stone would face up white. My jeweler, though, says that will make it difficult to match pave to the fluorescent stone.

I just want to get some second opinions. I thought the blue would not noticeable ("strong blue") except under UV light. Will it really not match the other stones? Pave weight 3.5 carats.

thanks!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
So what is the point of having flour? It only mitigates the tint in UV, without UV, it still going to look tinted.

legg3819

Rough_Rock
I guess that's a question. Apparently without UV in most types of light the blue makes the diamond look whiter. It is a known strategy to choose fluorescence for diamonds in the lower colors. It makes them look whiter, not just in UV light. But my understanding is it might be hard to match them to non-fluorescent stones.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope, that is not how fluor works.

Without UV there will be no blue.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. Matching the colour of the melee used in the pave will not make the distinction between centre and pave less noticeable, if the melee are well-cut full-cuts - the difference in optics means that smaller stones do look like bright white dots (or bright slightly-off-white dots, as the case may be), without the obvious tint and contrast and patterns that the centre will have.

Thread discussing small vs. large stones and how they differ in appearance: https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=144474

If he's using single cuts I reckon matching melee colour would have more effect in closing the gap between centre and sidestone appearance..

2. As SC says fluor has no effect outside light sources w/ long-wave UV component, so in indoor lighting your diamond will look whatever colour it says on the report (M), without any "whitening" from fluor.

Some fluor threads and articles - and there are many more if you do a PS search ;))
1, 2, 3, 4

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results