shape
carat
color
clarity

Mastercut Gems Sale- anyone buy anything?

Django74th

Shiny_Rock
Resurrecting this thread to see what folks may have picked up at this year's Rocktober sale!

I must admit, I was a little heartbroken to miss that brilliant tsavorite! Did anyone here get it?

That was me! I bought the tsavorite and some ruby melee. It was really good deal And I couldn’t resist! I promise to post pics when I get it

MidModMin

Shiny_Rock
I'll bite and share first. I bought an umbalite garnet and a ruby. All photos below are my own.

Garnet indoors (LED):
Garnet (bath LED).png

Garnet indoors (incandescent, blurry though)
Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 1.57.36 PM.png

Garnet indoors (bright incandescent, also blurry)
Garnet (intense incan).png

Garnet indoors (during day, somewhat dim room)
Garnet (indoor day).png

Garnet outdoors, paired with two spessartites I bought from another vendor (the gem box is pretty smudgy in one shot, sorry):
Garnet (outdoor diffuse).png

Garnet (outdoor direct).png

I was thinking of putting all three garnets together in a pendant. I like how the colors go together...do you think the umbalite will be too dark compared to the spess when set, though?

I also got a ruby cabochon, but am thinking I'll return it. I like the size and overall translucency (it is not super transparent, but is transluscent with an even texture inside the stone). But... that inclusion near the top, while not visible in diffuse light, bugs me in direct sunlight.

Ruby (outdoor diffuse).png

Ruby (outdoor direct).png

I am curious whether it was anyone here who bought the pink congo tourmaline. It looked really nice.

Last edited:

Django74th

Shiny_Rock
I’ll go next! Here’s the tsavorite and pink tourmaline. The tsavorite pic is a little dark but pretty accurate. I can’t get a good one of the tourmaline But the pink is nice in person and has a good cut. The tsavorite is included but I actually like little galaxies of inclusions in gems so it’s good for me!

B3B04C43-2840-4074-86A4-C7CA77336966.jpeg 5EE1D270-D54F-4C06-8A22-0BDE5CF873D3.jpeg 347CBA8B-20D3-48D1-94A8-F8BAAE6BAB12.jpeg 9F72E187-7BD2-49CE-B258-A8B8AEC968FA.jpeg

zhazha

Rough_Rock
Drooling on the tsavorite !!! I had in my cart but didn’t check out fast enough

alh56

Rough_Rock
I'll bite and share first. I bought an umbalite garnet and a ruby. All photos below are my own.

Garnet indoors (LED):
Garnet (bath LED).png

Garnet indoors (incandescent, blurry though)
Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 1.57.36 PM.png

Garnet indoors (bright incandescent, also blurry)
Garnet (intense incan).png

Garnet indoors (during day, somewhat dim room)
Garnet (indoor day).png

Garnet outdoors, paired with two spessartites I bought from another vendor (the gem box is pretty smudgy in one shot, sorry):
Garnet (outdoor diffuse).png

Garnet (outdoor direct).png

I was thinking of putting all three garnets together in a pendant. I like how the colors go together...do you think the umbalite will be too dark compared to the spess when set, though?

I also got a ruby cabochon, but am thinking I'll return it. I like the size and overall translucency (it is not super transparent, but is transluscent with an even texture inside the stone). But... that inclusion near the top, while not visible in diffuse light, bugs me in direct sunlight.

Ruby (outdoor diffuse).png

Ruby (outdoor direct).png

I am curious whether it was anyone here who bought the pink congo tourmaline. It looked really nice.

I really like how the garnet looks with the two spessartites, though I would also be concerned that it would black out more than they do when mounted together.

If you're considering not keeping the cabochon, I would be interested in purchasing it at the cost of what you paid MCG, if you'd consider that instead of a return. I can post my contact info on LoupeTroop if you would be open to that.

I’ll go next! Here’s the tsavorite and pink tourmaline. The tsavorite pic is a little dark but pretty accurate. I can’t get a good one of the tourmaline But the pink is nice in person and has a good cut. The tsavorite is included but I actually like little galaxies of inclusions in gems so it’s good for me!

B3B04C43-2840-4074-86A4-C7CA77336966.jpeg 5EE1D270-D54F-4C06-8A22-0BDE5CF873D3.jpeg 347CBA8B-20D3-48D1-94A8-F8BAAE6BAB12.jpeg 9F72E187-7BD2-49CE-B258-A8B8AEC968FA.jpeg

I am also drooling over the tsavorite! Congrats on picking it up! What do you think you'll do with it? I would want to be able to see it in a ring or bracelet.

voce

Ideal_Rock

MidModMin

Shiny_Rock
I really like how the garnet looks with the two spessartites, though I would also be concerned that it would black out more than they do when mounted together.

I was thinking of making a negligee/lavalier-style pendant. Do you think it would be less likely to black out if the spesses were dangling below it?

If you're considering not keeping the cabochon, I would be interested in purchasing it at the cost of what you paid MCG, if you'd consider that instead of a return. I can post my contact info on LoupeTroop if you would be open to that.

Yes, I would be open to that, @alh56 . I'm taking the weekend to evaluate both gems, but will decide for Monday. Post your contact info in LoupeTroop and let's talk.

alh56

Rough_Rock
I was thinking of making a negligee/lavalier-style pendant. Do you think it would be less likely to black out if the spesses were dangling below it?

Oooohhhh I can see that looking awesome. Not sure if it would be less likely to black out (maybe someone more knowledgeable would have an idea?) but I do think that if set like that and it did go dark sometimes it would not be as jarring as if they were all set close together and not moving independently of one another. I think the movement of these + the colors would be a bit like bright autumn leaves...

Re:ruby, I put my contact info up on LT, so we can chat if you decide not to keep it :)

Django74th

Shiny_Rock

I am also drooling over the tsavorite! Congrats on picking it up! What do you think you'll do with it? I would want to be able to see it in a ring or bracelet.

Thanks! Yep! I’m planning on a ring, maybe with a couple complementary colored stones on the side

SweetSapphire

Rough_Rock
All of the purchases from this year’s Rocktober are very lovely. I also purchased a sapphire that will be en route to me shortly. I’m usually hesitant to post photos because I take terrible ones and never want to misrepresent a gem cutter’s work.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
I bought a pink-orange zircon oval and a grey-blue spinel cushion with a crazy crown design. Can't wait to get them! Will post pics . I bought a blue zircon in one of their recent sales and love it!
20211024_193714.jpg 20211030_155848.jpg 20211022_211109.jpg

That spinel’s cut is quite unique!

idola

Shiny_Rock
I have a confession to make... I went back and bought more before the sale ended because I kept thinking about these two - an amethyst with tons of beautiful inclusions and a pad-like tourmaline.

EDD6608F-D9C4-4D0E-811B-8EEB8E8A9867.jpeg
D81A6AC9-CD5A-474B-9A63-ABDF944D9C9F.jpeg

They're very large compared to most of my other stones.

D055C0EC-A2C6-46C2-900B-AF364588DCFF.jpeg

The tourmaline was very difficult to get a good shot of, hence the carpet in its glamour shot, but irl it's a lovely color no matter which way you turn it. As for the amethyst, it looks EXACTLY like its picture to the point that I was shocked:

3A18F216-6569-4057-BC5A-6817F91C816C.jpeg

Anyway, I'm super happy with my three purchases from this sale! As for the pear sapphire from before, I've already decided on a setting for it:

67D919AE-FB06-467E-8F8F-B2AF8403E504.jpeg

I still have to figure out what I'm going to do with the amethyst and tourmaline, but I'm sure they'll look lovely in whatever they end up with. If you couldn't already tell, I'm in love haha.

Crystalnqh

Rough_Rock
Yes, I would be open to that, @alh56 . I'm taking the weekend to evaluate both gems, but will decide for Monday. Post your contact info in LoupeTroop and let's talk.

May I be the second in line for the ruby if the sale doesn't go through please? Thanks!

MidModMin

Shiny_Rock
May I be the second in line for the ruby if the sale doesn't go through please? Thanks!

Ahhh, I'm so sorry, I didn't see this post and I had to mail it back to Mastercut Gems for the refund. I wish I had seen it before.

alh56

Rough_Rock
Ahhh, I'm so sorry, I didn't see this post and I had to mail it back to Mastercut Gems for the refund. I wish I had seen it before.

Oh no! I didn't see any email come through from LoupeTroop if you tried to contact me through my posting there!

Ahh, technology....so helpful until it isn't anymore. :(

MidModMin

Shiny_Rock
Oh no! I didn't see any email come through from LoupeTroop if you tried to contact me through my posting there!

Ahh, technology....so helpful until it isn't anymore. :(

Oh, no! I did email you using the email you left on LT, but I never heard back. Maybe it went to your spam folder.

I think the stone arrived at MCG yesterday, if you want to email them to ask about it.

So sorry for the mix-up, I would have loved for you to have it. :cry2:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There’s a stone they’ve had for sale for ages and I WANT it but they’re not shipping to the UK!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results